collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10824
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 9453
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #421 on: October 13, 2016, 06:35 »
#southeast Andrea dal Col talks about the reasons for his mid-season retirement at the age of 25:

(gt)

Andrea Dal Col decided to reinvent itself: farmer and not the rider. In September, did not the Italian calendar with the Wilier, his team until July. The focus was for the harvest in San Giacomo di Veglia, six hectares from which overcharged Prosecco.

The salute to the bike is bitter: "I decided to change my life, I was a little 'sick. In Italy there is no future, no longer cycling than once. It is not the world I expected. In July, I decided to stop: the team has nothing to do, I was now unmotivated and without stimuli. I had no more desire to do battle at the end of year for the renewal. "

And then life has brought other joys and responsibilities: "Now I have a family to support. On 6 August I married Jade, from a month I became Alessia's father. " Thus began a new adventure: "I like the work on the fields, I did the same path of Da Dalto (former pro ', ed). Instead of running and train, I have dedicated myself to the grape harvest. Already last year we produced 4-5mila bottles of Prosecco. To do there, we hope this year had filled even more. "

[...]

"I figured it was time to turn the page," he adds. The fear of having to suffer another winter to secure your place in the group, the finding
the difficult period of our cycling. Careful reflection and Andrea decided to say enough. Better to focus on the reality of the earth.

"Life is made of choices," he concluded the former pro '. But the Italian movement a few questions should Porsel.

http://tribunatreviso.gelocal.it/sport/2016/10/12/news/dal-col-passa-dalle-pedivelle-alle-vigne-1.14241456
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #422 on: October 14, 2016, 08:10 »
    Nerz retires :(

“It is hard for me, but I have to quit my career by the end of 2016 for health reasons. It’s really a tough call, and to say goodbye to the pro scene won’t be easy for me. But after several medical investigations there is no other option. I gave it everything until the last races in Italy and also the team supported me as far as possible – I am very thankful for that – but I have to stop cycling at this point. It was an intense time in cycling where I gained experience, had some great moment and also found friendship. Now there is a new part in my life waiting and like always in cycling, I again will give it 100%.” – Dominik Nerz
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5271
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #423 on: October 22, 2016, 15:24 »
    http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/54341/la-grande-interview-sylvain-georges

Quote from: Sylvain Georges
    You can be sure I will not come back in six months or in a year!

I had two amazing seasons (with Team Pro Immo Nicolas Roux). It's a heavy heart to tell me that I no longer live this moment. Somehow, I am reassured by showing that I had the level. I have not been pro by chance.

Earlier this year, there have been accidents ... it pushed me to stop

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1304
    « Reply #424 on: October 23, 2016, 22:17 »

Article from this week’s Krant van West Vlaanderen

Jan Ghyselinck: Exit Through the Big Door and with a Satisfied Mind

On Friday 5 July 2012 Jan Ghyselinck has almost won a stage in the Tour of France in Saint-Quentin. He attacked in the final kilometer and but the peloton caught him on the uphill finish. 1557 days later on Sunday 9 October Jan Ghyselinck rode his last race. In the Worlds TTT he was instrumental in the very nice 10th place of Veranda’s Willems. Those 1557 days were days of suffering and a bit of comfort for Jan but suffering had the last word. Jan stops racing half a year before his 29th birthday after 16 years of racing including 7 of them as a pro cyclist.

As a teen Jan was a pearl in the Cycling Crown. He won the Tour of Flanders as a junior and as a U23 (Nations Cup, ahead of John Degenkolb and Sep Vanmarcke among others). Nobody did it before. Already as a junior he performed abroad, winning a stage and the GC of the Tour of Tuscany in 2005.

Cavendish & Co

The world of cycling seemed to be even more welcoming for Jan when he was contracted with HTC Columbia along with Cavendish and Tony Martin among others.

I put all my energy in the modern training methods. In Bob Stapleton’s team I raised a mountain of race wisdom. It’s a shame that they stopped after 2012 because I really opened to full bloom there, something that was absolutely not the case with my following team: Cofidis. I got stuck there because I was the lead out man for the notorious loser: Adrien Petit. Perhaps it would all have been different if I had won that stage at the Tour of France. That didn’t prevail because I was not in top form after having been selected at the very last moment. I emptied the chalice down to the bottom and still didn’t get full respect. I no longer had an interesting agenda, so that I felt bounced down. It’s self-explanatory that that did not do any good to motivation. My transfer to Wanty-Groupe Gobert felt like a liberation.

The Poly Normande
    A liberated Jan Ghyselinck is capable of much more. That’s how he immediately got 5th at the Three Days of West Flanders, 10th in the 4 Days of Dunkirk and 8th in the Tour of Belgium and above all won the Polynormande, a 1.1 race. Good for a 26 year old rider but in 2015 he was demoted to lead-out man for Roy Jans instead of being promoted, the Limburg version of Adrien Petit who no longer won after Stage 1 of the Star of Bessèges. It was as though Jan was held responsible for it because Wanty decided to sack him. He has reached the bottom and opted for Veranda’s Willems as Elite w/o Contract [!!!!!]. He who thought that would have been possible 10 years before would have been anathema-ed by cycling connoisseurs. Shouldn’t Jan Ghyselinck now have been where Yves Lampaert is? It does not bother Jan that Yves has now reached the level that was expected of him
    At crucial moment it wouldn’t work for me

Zinko
    Life is much more than racing and even after a successful career a rider should fill in the remaining two-third of his life in a meaningful way. Jan has started to do that five years ago. He’s debuting in his father’s company Zinko, a flourishing company that is busy with any kind of roof gutters and any work in zinc and copper. Jan will enjoy it for much longer and he will be an absolute top in it. A “Fortunate Son”? Just forget it! It’ll be a strict but fair training.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #426 on: October 31, 2016, 08:29 »
    Brownie :win

https://twitter.com/Velorooms/status/793006663162798080

rides off into the sunset, with an elbow ouyt and head ready to smash someone  :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #428 on: October 31, 2016, 17:05 »
    Brownie and Huta

Man this day sucks
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #429 on: October 31, 2016, 17:08 »
    Brownie and Huta

Man this day sucks
    The end of an era.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #430 on: November 01, 2016, 10:38 »
    and another one... #cannondale Phil Gaimon

"I had offers from Continental teams that were honestly for more money than I'd ever made from cycling. But I looked at all these young, fast kids, and they are me when I was 23. I could take the offer, but it would be a job for me and it would be a dream for them. It wouldn't feel right taking those spots. I don't want to be the highest paid guy on a small team. That would feel gross."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phil-gaimon-calls-an-end-to-his-cycling-career/
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1478
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #431 on: November 01, 2016, 11:46 »
    and another one... #cannondale Phil Gaimon

Another piece from his blog on VeloNews Don't call it retirement

Before I signed on for 2016, JV [Cannondale team director Jonathan Vaughters] said that part of my role would was to be an ambassador to sponsors — I’d do some races, but I also needed to be marketable, ride some gran fondos, taking that pressure off some of the team’s top riders. I enjoy that stuff, but on a 10-year mission to be a bike racer, my plan was to train my ass off so he’d want me at the races instead of photo shoots.

I talked to a few other WorldTour teams, but in most cases, if you look at the history on some of these teams, there’s a not of lot places I’d fit in. They’d never want the guy with the “CLEAN” tattoo, and I don’t really want them, either, so I didn’t cast a wide net when I sent out my resume. I targeted programs I respected, where I had friends and felt I’d fit in. I came close with Dimension Data, but no luck.
    Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/10/rider-journal/phil-gaimon-journal-dont-call-retirement_424057#CBbfGuwLm7J2cWRl.99
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #432 on: November 01, 2016, 12:11 »
    I am not quite sure what to think about the "wouldn't feel right taking those spots [of young riders]" part by the way. If a continental teams offers someone a reasonable big amount of money, I would guess it's not from the "normal" budget but probably some extra money coming in from the sponsors to sign a "star", which could also turn out to be valuable for the younger, unknown riders on the team.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #433 on: November 01, 2016, 15:41 »
    http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_101374.htm

#lkt / #stolting Willi Willwohl retires from cycling, entering the family restaurant instead.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #434 on: November 23, 2016, 09:52 »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/wilson-on-leaving-an-post-and-the-brutality-of-racing-in-belgium/

#anpost Jack Wilson explains why he stopped racing and became an electrician instead. :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #435 on: November 24, 2016, 13:50 »
    http://www.thoemus.ch/radprofi-marcel-wyss-wechselt-zu-thoemus-veloshop/

#iam Marcel Wyss becomes "product & sales manager" at Swiss bike manufacturer Thömus.[1]
     1. yeah, me neither
  • ReplyReply

• irondan

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 8
    « Reply #436 on: November 26, 2016, 22:44 »
    Peter Velits has called it a career at age 31.

BMC asked him to start looking for another team as early as last year with no takers. He had no interest in going to any lower tier teams.

Highlights: Under 23 mens RRWC, 3 times TTT world champion.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2828645
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #439 on: December 01, 2016, 12:14 »
    Tom Veelers retired due to knee injury

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #440 on: December 02, 2016, 08:48 »
    Alex Rasmussen *dk retires
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #441 on: December 02, 2016, 23:44 »
    Alex Rasmussen *dk retires
    The only thing I could find on Alex R is that he'll step down from Conti to Danish amateur team Frederikshøj CC:
    http://cykelmagasinet.dk/alex-rasmussen-kommer-i-stald-hos-lars-seier-og-wassim
    He will start his own business with cycling travel events etc., but will continue to race himself.

https://rallycycling.com/news/will-routley-retires/
    In other news, #rally Will Routley does retire after a long career where he won the *ca championships in 2010 and spend three years (2011-2013) in the ProConti ranks.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #442 on: December 09, 2016, 19:12 »
    https://twitter.com/Bahrain_Merida/status/807254139470249984

as expected...

After taking my time to think, and trying to come back to a working routine, I realised it is not possible for me. That's why I have taken, with the help of my family and friends, the decision of not coming back to the competition.
    I would like to say thank you to all those supporters that pushed me to come back; I am honoured and you really made my decision a difficult one, but I believe it's better not to come back if I am not sure of being able to do it at the top level.

Of course, a big thank you also to the team Baharain -Merida. They believed in me, they gave me all the facilities for a return, but I realised, speaking with them, that I am not prepared physically, and mentally, for a come back at 100%. I prefer to say this now, before the start of the new season, because the riders are the protagonists. They deserve the attention.

I will work in the future for the team Baharain-Merida, trying to help and trasmit all my experience to the young riders in the team. It is a big challenge, thank you.
    I hope I can continue as proud as I am with my 17 years of cycling career in my new role. Having that special feeling I have with cycling and cycling fans.
    And as I said when I said good bye in the past Tour the France, Thank you to cycling, you are, and always will be, the best thing that happened in my life.

Thank you everyone
    Joaquin Purito Rodriguez

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNzXbgDjvF_/
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2018
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #443 on: December 09, 2016, 19:25 »
    So he signed up for next year for as long as points might be significant for securing a WT spot, and then re-resigns when his points are no longer an issue.   

Dodgy.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #444 on: December 09, 2016, 19:30 »
    yeah, as stated before, it's possible within the UCI rules though

If one or more of the riders taken into account for the evaluation based on riders contracted for the following season leaves the team after 20 October and before the commencement of the next transfer period, the UCI WorldTeam or applicant team having satisfied the sporting criterion, in particular due to this rider or riders, shall be liable to a fine of CHF 10,000 to 500,000.

So they pay a bit of a fine and that's it. In case this even counts as "leaving the team"
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #445 on: December 09, 2016, 21:14 »
    yeah, as stated before, it's possible within the UCI rules though

So they pay a bit of a fine and that's it. In case this even counts as "leaving the team"
    Yes, it counts as leaving the team; he's not a contracted rider anymore.
    Essentially #bahrain pay half a million to the UCI to be certain of a WT spot.

Meh. Bending rules like this sets a bad precedent.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #446 on: December 14, 2016, 10:07 »
    #stolting Fabian Wegmann :wave

Fabian Wegmann ready for new chapter in his cycling career

After 15 years racing in the top tiers of the sport, three-time German national champion Fabian Wegmann is set to hang up his racing wheels this winter. At the age of 36, Wegmann is now ready to take the next steps in his career in cycling, aligning himself with various projects to give back to the sport that he’s flourished in since 2002.

Highlights of the German’s career include winning the KOM jersey at the 2004 Giro d’Italia, two GP Miguel Indurain victories, racing seven Tours de France, and his three national road race titles, amongst many other victories. His final year in the sport has been spent racing with Team Stölting Service Group, where he took on the rewarding role of nurturing some of Germany’s youngest talents. From this winter, he starts the transition from rider to ambassador for new projects and challenges in cycling which will be announced in 2017. “Retirement gives me a mix of sadness and excitement as I have committed the past 15 years to the sport, but there’s a lot to look forward to from now with new goals and ambitions,” explained Wegmann from his home in Münster. “I’ve been fortunate to race some of the biggest and best races around the world and have gained a lot of experience from the sport. I’m now ready to give something back, and to put what I know into new challenges. I’d like to take this opportunity as well to thank my friends and family, as well as teammates, sponsors and the cycling media for supporting me during my racing career. I’ve spent many months and years on the road, and the support from back home has always been important to me to stay focused through the ups and downs of a racing career.” Wegmann is currently in speaking terms with several projects as he looks to inspire people and to continue to drive the sport’s resurgence in Germany.

However, he’s not hanging up his wheels completely. “One thing is for sure, I’ll still be out riding my bike! When you stop, you have to let the body wind down and cycling remains a passion for me so I’ll continue to get out on my bike. But now there’s no pressure on riding so I can enjoy my time out on the bike more.”

Wegmann started his career racing for Gerolsteiner in 2002, spending seven years with the German ProTour team before moving to another German outfit in Milram, where he spent the next two seasons. After racing the 2011 season with Leopard Trek, Wegmann moved to American team, Garmin Sharp, where he spent another three seasons racing in the WorldTour before heading to Cult Energy Pro Cycling in 2015, leading to a final year on the road with Team Stölting Service Group. Wegmann’s first victory as a professional came in Italy, at the one-day GP Citta di Rio Saliceto e Correggio in 2003, followed by a stage win and the overall – the only GC win of his career – at that season’s Sachsen Tour. The following season he raced to the climber’s jersey at his very first Grand Tour start, the 2004 Giro d’Italia, the only German to have achieved this, before lining up at his debut Tour de France two months later where he would wear the King of the Mountains jersey for one day. Another Italian victory came in the same year, at Tre Valli Varesine.

The following year he took a stage win at the Tour de Pologne, and again held the lead in the King of the Mountains competition at the Tour de France, with a memorable podium visit as the stage finished on German soil. His best monument result came in 2006, where Wegmann raced to third at Giro di Lombardia, again the only German to have achieved this, one of the most memorable results of what was a long and successful career.

Wegmann’s first senior national road race title came in 2007, having previously won the U23 title in 2001. He then successfully defended his title in 2008, going on to win the 2009 Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt in the national champion’s stripes. He won the one-day German race again in 2010, but had to wait until 2012 for his next victory, a worthwhile wait as it was his third German national road race title – his final professional victory. In total Wegmann achieved 16 professional wins on the road, racing 10 World Championships as well as one Olympic Games, in Beijing.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #447 on: December 15, 2016, 09:30 »
    Matteo Tosatto hangs up the bike at 42
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3890
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #448 on: December 15, 2016, 09:54 »
    Matteo Tosatto hangs up the bike at 42
    :( :( bloody Trek
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r