collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1639
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #570 on: October 11, 2019, 17:58 »
From CN (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/marcel-kittel-retires-from-professional-cycling/)

It's hard to fault his reasons for doing this. It does seem really hard for a professional cyclist to have any real focus outside of the bike. The part about not wanting to see his son grow up over Skype hits especially hard.

Still leaves something of a bitter taste though. It feels like the announcement just came 2 years too late, his heart just hasn't been in it. It's fine not to want to "torture" yourself, but it feels a little selfish to me when other riders had to torture themselves in the hope of Kittel picking up some glory, then he just doesn't bother turning up. Fine when you're a rider from a wealthy country with a degree lined up, but what about teammates for whom cycling is the only thing they've got?

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, I have no idea what demons he's dealing with, just my initial reaction.
I don't know. It seems to me that it often takes one a long time just to figure out that something is wrong. Like Kittel here. I would be more inclined to think that his internal conversation and the conversation with his mates and coaches would be like this:
"Just a bad day - think positive - and let's get out there and do it again." And he keeps trying to think positive, not recognizing that the dissatisfaction runs deeper. I know it's not always easy to recognize problems, especially when things are grey - partly good and partly bad.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3868
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #571 on: October 16, 2019, 21:25 »
    Taylor Phinney to retire from professional cycling

[Interview and pics in link]

This weekend in Japan, Taylor PhinneyTaylor Phinney will zip up his EF Education First kit for the last time. He’ll pin on his numbers, and clip in for what is the final professional road race of a career that’s been beautiful, frustrating, and everything in between.

He fought back from a career-threatening leg break sustained in 2014, and along the way began to ponder a life outside of professional racing. Eventually, the side of him hoping to explore art and music, the side of him hoping to dig deeper into a place rather than a suitcase… that side won out.

"I’m stepping away so that I can be more true to myself, which means to make art, to make music, to create and cultivate" he says
    Party on, dude.  :playlist
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1639
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #572 on: October 17, 2019, 03:17 »
    . . .
    Party on, dude.  :playlist
    Yeah. I have to admit, I'm kind of glad to see this. I don't think he was ever as devoted as either his mom or his dad, and the accident just kinda seemed to take what there was and diminish it. I think he's doing the right thing.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7717
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13500
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #574 on: October 25, 2019, 07:40 »
    ...and now wants to become a professional boxer!

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20191024_04682592
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #576 on: November 13, 2019, 16:53 »
    I missed this last week:
    https://riwalcyclingteam.dk/the-team/team-news/after-10-years-with-riwal-readynez-jonas-aaen-and-troels-vinther-seek-new-pastures

#riwal Jonas Aaen retires from cycling for good. Troels Vinther, who crashed heavily in April and still is recovering from that, hasn't made the decision yet whether to retire completely, but he won't continue with the Danish PCT.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #577 on: November 22, 2019, 13:48 »
    https://www.procycling.no/vaert-veldig-skremmende-ser-na-helt-klart-burde-hatt-plan-b/

Kristoffer Skjerping didn't get a new contract with #unox, searched for a new team, but didn't succeed. He doesn't know what he'll do now, and has registered as unemployed with the Norwegian unemployment agency, NAV.

https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/algemeen-nieuws/258580/update-na-wippert-hangt-ook-kreder-fiets-aan-de-wilgen-heb-genoten

#evopro Wouter Wippert and #ningxia Michel Kreder also announced their retirements earlier this month.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #578 on: November 22, 2019, 15:45 »
    I could've sworn I posted this the other day. :slow I must've gotten distracted.

Steve Cummings retires at 38

I had totally forgotten that he'd spent time with the Discovery Channel team (2007).

https://twitter.com/lesleycummings3/status/1197834500744601601

How very "British" of her.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1740
    « Reply #579 on: December 08, 2019, 11:19 »
    I think it hasn't been said but it's rather old news now. Stijn Devolder put an end to his career early September. At age 40, he felt that age was seriously impairing his performances. He already intended to retire last year but then he got an offer from Corendon and the prospect of being a teammate for Mathieu Van der Poel motivated him to extend his career for one more year.

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/detail_stijn-devolder-ancien-double-vainqueur-du-ronde-pend-son-velo-au-clou?id=10358026

(Second picture is Stijn at the start of a stage of the 2009 Tour of Wallonia, he came too late at the start sheet and thus started the race a bit later than the peloton  :D)

I also read that he still claimed he had more talent for stage races than for single-day races.  :S

Hopefully now, Volderke will be able to fulfill his dream to become a farmer (as shown on the "Cycling Farmers" thread). He seemed so passionate about it and mad about tractors!  :)

Edit: He is indeed saying again that he wants to do something with "farming machine" which he has such a fascination for, and wants no job in the cycling milieu anymore. https://www.wielerkrant.be/nieuws/2019-11-11/stijn-devolder-is-gestopt-met-wielrennen-ik-wilde-altijd-al-iets-doen-met-landbouwmachines#reacties
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:41 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3091
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #580 on: December 30, 2019, 18:51 »
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1823
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #581 on: December 30, 2019, 20:33 »
    We need a new tallest pro cyclist:
    https://twitter.com/conordunnealot/status/1211708846219157505

Maybe MVDP. He’s managed most other things in his first serious season, I’m sure he can manage that too.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3091
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #583 on: January 02, 2020, 09:49 »
    #movistar Mathias Norsgaard to the rescue: :D
    https://twitter.com/MathiasNorsgaar/status/1212292844741898240

Either he is out of plaster very quickly, or broke the rule about photos in a new team's kit (and predicted Conor Dunne's retirement).
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #584 on: January 04, 2020, 22:56 »
    Either he is out of plaster very quickly, or broke the rule about photos in a new team's kit (and predicted Conor Dunne's retirement).
    Teams always have photoshoots with their new riders in November/December.
    They just don't publish those photos until January. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1823
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #586 on: January 30, 2020, 15:51 »
    Kiryienka’s had to retire due to the heart problem.

Glad I picked him for my CQ team.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #587 on: March 24, 2020, 20:06 »
    An interesting interview with Farrar about his career, his decision to retire from cycling, and what he plans to do now:
    http://pelotonmagazine.com/racing/farrars-farewell/

Will we have Fire Fighter Farrar in the future? :D

It appears we've got our answer!  :cool

Firefighter Farrar: From one dream job to another

'I never wanted the fame of professional cycling' says American

"Being a firefighter was always something that sat in the back of my head when I was racing. I wanted to do it when I was a kid but I was having a lot of success racing bikes, but firefighting was always a job that I wanted to pursue once I knew that cycling was over for me," Farrar tells Cyclingnews from his home on the west coast.

Boy, did he ever pick the right time to change careers.
    From one of the most tentative, to one of the most depended upon. Very impressive!
     ;)

I'm quite fond of the image below. Everything about that picture I like.

Farrar enjoys a quiet moment along the Lys canal in his adapted hometown of Ghent, Belgium, his base for nearly a decade while racing in Europe.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 00:08 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #588 on: March 25, 2020, 19:20 »
    Just wanted share some posts from 2014 that captured some important aspects of Tyler's career.

Good for Tyler. Given that field though, it really did look like a man against the boys. Farrar came from way back and smoked everyone with ease.

I've never understood so much of the flak that gets thrown his way. Do his critics think he just doesn't try hard enough, or that he should just pedal faster? Time and again he's right in the mix with the best sprinters in the world. Rarely is it tactics or other controllable factors that caused him to miss out on a win when so close. Usually, it's simply because the other guy was just faster. That's life. Occasionally, Tyler is that other guy.

He's usually most accommodating in interviews, more often than not has a smile on his face, and seems quite personable overall. And he's never arrogant in his victories. What's not to appreciate about that?

JV has often cited the profound effect that Wouter's death had on Tyler, and how difficult all of that was for him. Not to mention, Tyler's own father, who was not only an extremely active outdoorsmen but also a spinal surgeon, was nearly killed by a car while riding his bike in 2008. He is now a paraplegic. I can not even imagine the weight that must be on Tyler's mind on a near daily basis.

Here is the heart-wrentching story:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/090721

The joy, and sorrow, of cycling

Dr. Ed Farrar, 58, is a handsome, adventurous man who played linebacker at Georgia Tech, summitted Himalayan peaks, paddled white-water rapids and cycled to the top of the Col du Galibier, often the highest climb in the Tour de France. As he told an audience earlier this year, "There are not many things I have put off." Shake his hand and you feel a grip so powerful it's as if he could rip your arm off. Yet those are also the hands of a skilled spinal surgeon who healed broken bodies and allowed people to walk again.

The horrible irony is that Ed will never walk again. While riding his bike to work last October, Ed was hit head-on by a car, an accident that nearly ripped his body in half, cost him an inch of his spinal cord and left him paralyzed from the chest down. He can no longer perform surgery.

On the morning of Oct. 22 last year [2008], Ed was cycling up Wenatchee's Skyline Drive on his way to perform surgery at the local hospital. It was the same route he rode whenever he worked at the hospital. He knew every rise, every turn of that ride. On that morning, however, a car veered out of its lane and directly into his. The car hit Ed head-on, crushing into his chest. He collapsed to the ground, and the car, still moving, ran over him. His neck was broken in several places, all his ribs were fractured, his lungs collapsed. The accident caused such damage to Ed's body that, he says, "It must have almost ripped the top half off the bottom half."

The self-professed apple capital of the world, the Wenatchee area has a population of about 30,000. There were only two spinal cord surgeons with the expertise to handle a patient with such extensive injuries, and one of them was crushed unconscious under the car and in imminent danger of bleeding to death. The other was Hank Vejvoda, whom Ed recruited to join his clinic five years ago. Vejvoda is also a cyclist, and he was riding to work that morning along the same road. Thus, the only doctor in the area who could have saved Ed was the first person on the scene, two minutes after the accident. Had Vejvoda not been available, Ed said, "They would have airlifted me to Seattle and I would have died en route."

A touching photo of Ed with Tyler and his youngest son Fletcher atop the Galibier at the 1992 Tour.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #589 on: March 25, 2020, 19:24 »
    What is often overlooked is that Farrar had the great misfortune of arriving at his peak years at the same time as Mark Cavendish. Now, this sort of thing could easily be turned into a circular discussion involving any number of different riders at different times. I fully understand that. But how different would Farrar's legacy be if not for Cavendish alone? After a quick glance at just some GT results (because I haven't time at the moment to dig deeper), excluding the stages the he DID win, we see the following:

Giro
    Stage 3 - Pettachi, Farrar
    Stage 9 - Cavendish, Davis, Farrar
    Stage 11 - Cavendish, Farrar
    TdF
    Stage 2 - Cavendish, Farrar
    Stage 10 - Cavendish, Hushovd, Farrar
    Stage 11 - Cavendish, Farrar
    Stage 21 - Cavendish, Renshaw, Farrar
    Vuelta
    Stage 6 - Borut Bozic, Farrar

Giro
    Stage 9  - Goss, Pozzato, Farrar
    TdF
    Stage 6 - Cavendish, Farrar
    Stage 11 - Cavendish, Pettachi, Farrar
    Vuelta
    Stage 2 - Hutarovich, Cavendish, Farrar
    Stage 12 - Cavendish, Farrar
    Stage 18 - Cavendish, Haedo, Cordoso, Farrar
    Stage 19 - Gilbert, Farrar

2011 TdF
    Stage 11 - Cavendish, Greipel, Farrar
    Stage 15 - Cavendish, Farrar
    Stage 21 - Cavendish, Greipel, Boasson Hagen, Farrar

I just don't think Tyler gets the credit for being as good as he actually was. And obviously this list doesn't include the multiple times he was 4th, 5th or 6th with a "same time" finish.

And to be fair, his GC record would hardly be complete without including the following stage wins:
    Vuelta
    Stage 11 - Farrar, Gilbert

Giro
    Stage 2 - Farrar, Goss, Sabatini, Greipel
    Stage 10 - Farrar, Sabatini, Dean, McEwen
    Vuelta
    Stage 5 - Farrar, Fernandez, Cavendish
    Stage 21 - Farrar, Cavendish

TdF
    Stage 3 - Farrar
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #590 on: June 27, 2020, 07:58 »
    #jumbo Maarten Wynants will retire after Paris-Roubaix 2021, and join the team as a DS afterwards.

Initially he planed to hang up his bike at the end of this year, but he wants to finish things off with a normal spring instead.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200626_05002657
  • ReplyReply

•