Wait what. How?
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 362
    Re: Retirement announcements
    « Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 17:19 »
    Wait what. How?

Petacchi is saying that his words were incorrectly understood, that he meant that he wanted to do something like Zabel, helping other sprinters as a leadout or something and that he did not know why he would ride the Tour since he has nothing he could accomplish there at the moment
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10576
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #62 on: May 13, 2013, 09:55 »
    Andreas Klier retires from 17 years as a rider to become a ds with #garmin
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leipheimer-confirms-im-retired

Just in case you were wondering, Levi won't be coming back
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 11:06 »
    aye

Watch out next time you buy glue, may just be some broken pieces of glass in it.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3791
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #66 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08 »
     :( bottle
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #67 on: May 20, 2013, 17:52 »
    Reports menchov may retire due to knee injury.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #68 on: May 20, 2013, 18:34 »
    Confirmed, a shame. One of the few riders that was capable of falling uphill has retired :(
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #69 on: May 20, 2013, 19:13 »
    Crashed going uphill

Crashed going in a straight line

Also won three Grand Tours.

Farewell Denis Menchov.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 12:22 »
    O´Grady set to retire after the TDF 2014

Hard nut most Olympics in cycling as a male , Gold medals stage wins in GT´s and this defining moment

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8838
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #73 on: August 10, 2013, 12:29 »
    Bert Grabsch to retire at the end of the season, no new contract offered by Omega Pharma Quickstep

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=64739
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #74 on: August 10, 2013, 12:34 »
    Bert Grabsch to retire at the end of the season, no new contract offered by Omega Pharma Quickstep

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=64739

sad really , no more 12 rpm, dinner plate, 50 km\h ITT´s
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1053
    « Reply #75 on: August 10, 2013, 13:11 »
    Confirmed, a shame. One of the few riders that was capable of falling uphill has retired :(

Yes, if you only watch the Tour of France, you might get the feeling it's pretty rare ...

It happens all the time !
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #76 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52 »
    Garezlli retires, was honored yesterday

GARZELLI DOWN BY BICYCLE: AT TRE VALLI VARESINE GREETINGS IN CYCLING
    An icon of modern cycling after 16 years of professionalism and several big success leaves cyclism. At Tre Valli Varesine the greeting to the public of cycling, this is the home race for the athlete Vicentino, who touched roof of the world by winning Giro d’Italia of 2000.

He raced among professionals for sixteen years, a life, or rather two. He began by running alongside champions like Indurain and Bugno, has joined Pantani in his glory years and has had the privilege of having the Pirate in his service, to conquer what remains his greatest success: Giro d’Italia 2000. Stefano Garzelli has stood for elegance in the world of cycling, strength in the mountains, tenacity in pursuing important results whenever the road bucked, and most of his finest companies registered them at Giro d’Italia, race that most of all identified and brought him into the hearts of the people. Winner of 11 stages at Giro d’Italia, he also won the jersey of best climber in 2009 and 2011, as well as Tirreno Adriatico (2010),! four stages in Tour of Switzerland and other important achievements.

Almost forty years, Stefano Garzelli has decided to stop running: the last race, at Giro d’Italia 2013, where group also wanted to give him a lap of honor in the last stage, at Brescia, to greet the audience that saw him grow, mature, become Champion and then finish as a Champion. To greet the group and all of his colleagues, Stefano chose Tre Valli Varesine, the home race for him, that is held in Varese, although now he lives with his beautiful family in Valencia. He will be greeted by the whole city, with a prize this morning at 11am at the presence of high local institutions. “I’m glad I stopped when I heard – said Stefano, visibly moved – and this year at Giro d’Italia i realized that what was to be my last effort. I love cycling, I love this world and I will not turn away. Let’s say that the first and largest chapter, life of cycling rider, it’s finished.
    This Giro d’Italia, with Vini Fantini Selle Italia team, was the right conclusion of a journey, with a color that identifies me (he won Giro d’italia 2000 with a uniform very similar, ed) and that has always made me dream. I thank Scinto and Citracca for the trust and support, and I wish #yellowfluo team to continue the great, this is one of the most beautiful groups in which i ran.

also Niko Eeckhout will retire at the end of the season

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/23841/niko-eeckhout-gaat-stoppen.html
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #77 on: September 05, 2013, 19:19 »
    http://www.dirkbellemakers.nl/nieuws/afscheid-als-professioneel-wielrenner/

Dirk Bellemakers ‏@DirkBellemakers 16m
    End of a beautiful era. My farewell as a professional cyclist from January 2014
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5715
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 19:25 »
    A guy who you rarely noticed, but a familiar name and someone who always was around in the Belgian peloton.

Good luck in his further endeavours!
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 15
    « Reply #79 on: September 06, 2013, 00:51 »
    According to CyclingQuotient (and other sites I trust and from which I remember the riders' names), the riders retiring at the end of 2013 are the following:
    - Andreas Klier
    - Christian VandeVelde
    - Denis Menchov
    - Miguel Armando Ubeto (probably, if he takes 2 years for his offense)
    - Dirk Bellemakers
    - Jurgen Van de Walle
    - Bert Grabsch
    - Adrián Palomares
    - Stuart O'Grady
    - Anthony Charteau
    - Roy Sentjens
    - Sérgio Ribeiro (forced to it, took 12 years)
    - Markus Föthen
    - José Rujano (he will ride his last race at 2014 Vuelta al Táchira, in January)
    - Danilo Di Luca (no way to bypass at least 8/12 years)
    - Stefano Garzelli
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #80 on: September 06, 2013, 08:02 »
    Sandy Casar will retire as well

http://lci.tf1.fr/sport/cyclisme-sandy-casar-met-un-terme-a-sa-carriere-8259675.html

there was an interview in Le Parisien today (gt):

He has stored his motorcycle near the Palace of Congress before settling in a café in porte Maillot. EMU, Sandy Casar extensively explained why, at age 34, he had decided to end a career started in 2000 and completed under the colours of the française des jeux. "I realize not really, says t - it. '' This decision will become reality when I read this interview in your journal...

"This season was your last?

SANDY CASAR. Yes. I saw Marc (Editor's Note: Madiot, the Manager of the JDF) Wednesday. It's been a little while, personally, I've thought. Since the beginning of the season, I have problems with allergies, and, above all, a back problem pretty recurrent that prevents me to be at my best level. I am always looking for old feelings that I can't find. I'd rather stop here rather than continue one more year in this same boat.

At the beginning of the season, you are intending to participate in the three major Tours (Italy, France, Spain). Finally, you only ran the first three days of the Giro before falling...

I am frustrated. For me, it's a failed season. It's been a lot of sacrifice, and altogether it nothing happens. Mentally, it really was not easy to manage. This season seemed endless. I really feel that my body says stop.

Know - you you'll do now? Good question...

I'd stay in cycling but not specially at the level race, rather on the side of the organization. I want to see what happens next. Why not at ASO (Editor's Note: Amaury Sport Organization, which manages the Tour de France)? I would like to organize, make the course, give my felt as a rider, because I find some more dangerous arrival details.

You are recognized as a clean rider. Have - you regret over all these years marked by doping?

No, because I always gave the best, I always fought. Thereafter, it cannot know what would have happened. But it is true that my decision to stop also takes into account this aspect: there is a small little ras up everything.

A think - you when you look at your results and your rankings?

The biggest disappointment, this is may be the sixth place in the Giro in 2006. There's not only one of the top five which is taking (for doping) behind... I will keep the small feeling of me flying.

Are - you jealous of superior awareness of other former French riders who have cheated yet, them?

Non. I know what I've done and how. OK, they may be more notoriety that me and in larger houses, but it is me equal. And then may be that they live badly. And may be at one time or another, they will regret it. You have your consciousness for you... That's it. Even if, for the public, what we are doing is unthinkable without doping. People don't believe me! I can no longer stand. It takes me to a bandit while I was very honest. It is painful. In addition, with positioning system Adams, I felt from the first day in prison. Taking my retirement, I have the impression out of jail!

How do see - you current cycling?

Everyone is more and better trained. Therefore the level is smooth. It will therefore be easier to see the one who cheats because immediately there will be a difference.

And Chris Froome then?

I want to believe (to its crushing in the 2013 Tour success) because I love this sport; but Armstrong said the same thing... In addition, there is still one big difference compared to the other... I do not know. We will see in the coming years.

I have always liked Casar, would have wished him a better season to retire. Doing all grand tours (and maybe winning a stage) sounded like a good plan, too bad it did not work out after his crash in the Giro
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #81 on: September 06, 2013, 08:05 »
    Sandy Casar will retire as well

http://lci.tf1.fr/sport/cyclisme-sandy-casar-met-un-terme-a-sa-carriere-8259675.html

there was an interview in Le Parisien today (gt):
    I have always liked Casar, would have wished him a better season to retire. Doing all grand tours (and maybe winning a stage) sounded like a good plan, too bad it did not work out after his crash in the Giro

agreed always been a fan

https://twitter.com/OffredoYoann/status/375875782994034688
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #82 on: September 06, 2013, 09:21 »
    The end of an era. One of the riders who's always been around since I started following cycling more closely than watching the Tour mountain stages. Always attacking.

Adieu Sandy.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #83 on: September 06, 2013, 09:25 »
    there's also an interview with him on FDJ's website:

http://www.equipecyclistefdj.fr/actualites/entretien-avec-sandy-casar-791.html
  • ReplyReply

• GMiranda

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 15
    « Reply #84 on: September 06, 2013, 11:58 »
    Yes, that's sad... with his way of racing, I expected he would be a kind of Voigt-one, but the problems led him to say goodbye... he could have been a top-10 rider in the GT's if he preferred that instead of looking for stages and great exploits... but he was a truly combative and great one
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #86 on: September 11, 2013, 13:40 »
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #87 on: September 11, 2013, 14:22 »
    Pinotti, Quinziato and Pozzovivo all managed to study alongside their cycling careers. Harden the flip up! :yuush

But I certainly don't blame him. I can barely get a ride in next to my studies; can't begin to imagine how it must be to train on a professional level and study at the same time.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #88 on: September 11, 2013, 15:04 »
    yeah, but in their case it did not came along with living thousends of km away from home. I think it is a reaonable decision
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #89 on: September 11, 2013, 15:21 »
    yeah, but in their case it did not came along with living thousends of km away from home. I think it is a reaonable decision
    True, I didn't think of that.
    Of course it's reasonable; it's just somewhat unusual.

Good luck for his future studies!
  • ReplyReply

•