collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 9471
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #450 on: January 04, 2017, 20:09 »
#gazprom Alexander Kolobnev retires

A few days ago I was driving on the road of Valencia to the another meeting and, following the instructions of the navigator, I found myself calculating  visually 500 meters of the road as if I were next to the finish of the race. Immediately I felt adrenaline in the blood, my pulse rose, I felt every beat of it…

It is not possible to get rid of it. These physiological changes were being formed in me for more than twenty years. Like fury I felt the wish to go back to the race and try to get to the finish again. But my common sense returned me to the reality: if you want to have an extra energy to sprint out on finish line well you should train hard, tirelessly and for a long time and be focused on the target. It is easy to achieve it in the beginning of the career, when you are a professional cyclist of more than 16 years the target often runs off.
Here is the moment.
Oleg Tinkoff has said to me recently in the chance meeting: «It’s time to prepare yourself for the real life, and the sooner you realize it all, the transition will be more maneuverable».

What cycling means for me
To understand this, you need to rewind the film of my life for 28 years back, and see me when I was 7 years old, when I was walking from one sports club to another. Up to 12 years old I chose one that defined the rest of my life. It was called «Cycling — Road». The ad with this name of the club was hanging in my school to invite children to join it.

Thanks to this club when I was a difficult teenager I escaped luckily from the accident where my oldest friend died … Thanks to trainings and racing again I separated from the company of mates who elaborated opium right at home. (It is possible to write a book about the dashing 90-s and my childhood but it is for the next time). From that time I completely focused on sports.

My first trip out of the Nizhny Novgorod region and it was the first trip outside of Russia became possible by cycling. Cycling motivated me to self-improvement.

When I first came to Italy for races in 1998, I realized that this country with its climate and relief was good for cycling. And I began learning Italian from a book very quickly to get into the San Pellegrino Cycling Team. During the period from 1998 to 2002 my fast professional growth took place, during this time I first competed in the Russian Junior Championships and then I signed my first professional contract. Further my progress was slower: I could not find much support among the professionals and had no experience of my own. In fact, there were few professionals among Russian cyclists at the time in cycling and at the end of 2006 I was ready to finish my career as I could not find a team to join…

Those who followed my success could be very surprised by the fact that my best time in sports was during the period 2007-2010. At that moment I began planning my life outside cycling…But I was picked up by Bjarne Riis. He did not have any special attitude towards me, in general there were no any special cyclists in his team. I was one of the thirty. However, impeccable and innovating teamwork itself was identifying who is who in the peloton and put everything in its place.

Then there was a transition with high hopes and strokes, falls and rises. I became stronger personally because of the difficulties in cycling.  First I had to adapt to changes in my private life and then to those that took place in cycling and it is constantly evolving. Injuries from falls and improperly distributed exercises become more frequent and more severe, and moreover the rehabilitation periods, recover from torn ligament and muscles became longer…

Very hard
All sportsmen go through a difficult career ending. All of them. The decision is inevitable. It is a torture somehow. Anyone, who says that it is a normal process which is painless, you change your life and become devoting it, for example, only for the family, is insincere.

As it turned out, it is very difficult psychologically.
The feeling that you will be just replaced by younger riders could be similar to the feeling that woman has when she realizes that she is not as young and attractive as before when she sees young and beautiful ladies passing by. The rupture with sports is comparable with the split with a darling person. I did not know it before until I heard the words of one of the physiotherapists who said that in sport psychology there is even a special branch of study dedicated to this process.

However, tough trainings and immersion in my new project at the same time, I didn’t have thoughts of the end of my career. I remember the words of Jens Voight, who finished his career a few years ago, he said: «Midlife crisis? — I do not have time for it…. » :)
I’m glad I finish my career with lots of energy. Summing up all the emotions and sensations, I can say that leaving the professional sport, I feel a great desire for self-realization in my casual life, where I will use my experience and practical knowledge.

I wish to thank all those who became my guides to the Professional Sports throughout my long career in cycling: my first coaches — Stas Shlokov, Evgeniу Krupin and Igor Lukyanov for their efforts and support at the beginning of my cycling career when I was a teenager.

I thank Rinat Latypov for picking me up to his team and bringing me to Italy!

I thank the Italian friends: Paolo, Pino, Roby, Rai, Stefano, Giovanni for helping me in my first difficult years in Italy.
I thank Bjarne Riis for believing in me, support and trust me!
I thank Igor Makarov for his attempt to restore the Russian cycling!
I thank Renat Khamidulin  for letting me try step twice into the same river !

I thank the doctors, physiologists, psychologists and personal trainers who have worked with me and helped with professional support and advice!

I thank my wife Daria for a great patience and understanding!

I thank all people whose names I did not mention, but they’re with me in my memory. I smile to you

http://kolobnev.com/blog/finish/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #451 on: January 08, 2017, 21:49 »
    #wanty Lieuwe Westra retires from cycling with immediate effect. Sounds like he couldn't motivate himself anymore to keep going.

https://www.facebook.com/lieuwe.westra/posts/357732784604788
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 759
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #452 on: January 09, 2017, 15:26 »
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 16:09 by LukasCPH »
    The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5349
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #453 on: January 09, 2017, 19:07 »
    Well we knew from a while back he was having issues and he'd talked Autumn last year (?) about the next few months being make or break, but hopefully this is the right choice for him.

Looking at it from a purely cycling point of view you can't help but feel that his obvious talent could have ended up with a bigger and better palmares. There are several what ifs.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #455 on: February 01, 2017, 10:51 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gerald-ciolek-and-linus-gerdemann-announce-retirements/

#stolting Ciolek & Gerdemann have retired from pro cycling.

Ciolek's biggest moment was of course the Milano-San Remo win in 2013, while Gerdemann's claim to fame was the Tour stage win & #yellow in 2007.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #458 on: February 04, 2017, 15:06 »
    Nerz retires :(
    Here's an interview (in German) with Dominik Nerz about his retirement & career:
    http://www.taz.de/Radprofi-Nerz-ueber-seinen-Abschied/!5377726/
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #459 on: February 16, 2017, 20:56 »
    Vaubourzeix painting a uncertain future for Nice. It doesn't take many views of team pictures to guess who the glutton on the team could be.

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/56285/thomas-vaubourzeix-j-aurais-du-me-renseigner

As for him, he'll participate in some local races with his club, but that's all folks.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #460 on: February 16, 2017, 22:44 »
    It doesn't take many views of team pictures to guess who the glutton on the team could be.
    Don't tease us like this! Give us the pics already! :P

That aside, #nice doesn't sound like the most promising project from what he's saying. :(
    This whole explosion of Kuwaiti-registered teams always looked sketchy to me, I have to say. But it's sad to see one's skepticism confirmed.

When he refers to "the one responsible for the team", does he refer to Fahad Al-Shammari, Adam Szabó, Nicolas Coudray, or Jacques Jolidon (whose son (?) is registered as a rider)? More questions than answers at this point.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #461 on: February 16, 2017, 22:51 »
    When he refers to "the one responsible for the team", does he refer to Fahad Al-Shammari, Adam Szabó, Nicolas Coudray, or Jacques Jolidon (whose son (?) is registered as a rider)? More questions than answers at this point.
    Checking the UCI website, #bliz Cyclesport.se-Memil have a Mr. Majed Al-Shammari as their representative. And that team's 'real' boss, Dennis Nystrand, has a certain reputation (not a particularly good one) in Swedish cycling.

Honi soit qui mal y pense ...  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #462 on: February 16, 2017, 22:52 »
    Don't tease us like this! Give us the pics already! :P

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #463 on: February 16, 2017, 23:01 »

As I thought. It's Jolidon jr.

*shakes head*

EDIT: Jolidon sr. used to be DS at Nippon Hodo (2002-2003) and Partizan-Powermove (2011). Not exactly the most splendid teams to have on your CV.
    But Jolidon grand-sr. was a pro cyclist already, so I guess the family knows the right people to stick around seemingly forever. :S
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 23:14 by LukasCPH »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #464 on: February 17, 2017, 08:11 »
    Here's what #nice have to say: https://www.facebook.com/niceprocyclingteam/posts/386977611671588

The Nice CyclingTeam announces that it was decided last Monday at the return of Morrocco to separate their way with the french riders Vaubourzeix and Pulidori due to imcompability to work together.
    Both riders refuse to wear the kit of the team during the all stay at the Morroccan races, and they had a permanent disrespect of the team staff, riders and sponsors.
    Nevertheless, we wish these two individuals riders the best for the future.
    All riders and staff are now focusing of the real beginning of our season with our training camp with some racing in Rhodos, Greece from March 3.
    Refused to wear team kit. Huh. They were in the races - Vaubourzeix even won one!
    I don't think any UCI commissaire would allow a rider to race if he's not wearing the kit of a participating team (and his startnumber).
    Hell, we even have photographic evidence of Vaubourzeix on the Trophée Princier podium:

So this has to be about not wearing the team's "casual" clothing off-bike. I have to say, if the team weren't honouring their promises on travel costs etc., I don't see why the riders (who paid to race out of their own pockets) should wear team clothing. If they're not paying for travel costs (who knows if accommodation was provided by the organiser or had to be paid by teams - and subsequently riders - as well), all the team were doing was the paperwork of entering a race and getting startnumbers. And that you really don't need a Conti team for; any group of people with an e-mail account can do that.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #465 on: April 04, 2017, 17:44 »
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/imanol-estevez-deja-el-ciclismo-profesional-por-motivos-personales-04-04-2017

#murias Imanol Estevez

I am writing this to announce my retirement from cycling. Today is not a sad day for me, quite the opposite. The reason I left him so early is because I have not been enjoying what I was doing for a long time, nor did I have any illusions about my work. The time has come to put an end to a stage of which I feel very proud to have lived and from which I take some values ​​that I could not have acquired anywhere else, unforgettable experiences and above all great people who are already Friends for life I also want to thank those who have always been there supporting me in the good and bad moments.

I start a new and exciting stage in my life, something that has always been in my head that is aviation, from which I have acquired a lot of knowledge in an amateur way and now I am acquiring them to be able to dedicate myself professionally to it.

Many thanks again to everyone for every moment lived in the world of two wheels.

Adios :wave

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

search

• Grand Tour Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #470 on: May 19, 2017, 17:41 »
    https://www.teamlottojumbo.com/cycling-news/jurgen-van-den-broeck-quits-cycling-after-this-season

I tempted to say, why not just call it quits after the Giro?

Het Nieuwsblad says the Worlds TTT is a final target, but is the motivation there? He's also suffering from a "third ball" so that could hasten the retirement.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #472 on: July 09, 2017, 08:32 »
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 319
    « Reply #474 on: August 07, 2017, 17:37 »
    Farewell Bertie ... How will you be judged in a decades time I wonder...
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 879
    « Reply #475 on: August 07, 2017, 18:44 »

Adios Haimar.

:wave
    Que le via bien.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3899
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #476 on: August 07, 2017, 19:33 »
    I am gutted... I can't believe it, only 21 more race days for him
    I can't shake the feeling he didn't want to retire but couldn't reach an agreement with Trek :(
    Cycling won't be the same without him for me :(
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1315
    « Reply #477 on: August 07, 2017, 20:02 »
    As I came to know you in recent years, I'm sure you can enjoy it without him, Fleur. For every champion, there's a time to come and a time to go but cycling remains. :cool And you've got other favourites, don't you (not to the same extent, I know, but you've got some, err I mean quite a lot of them, even).  ;)

(sincere post.:hug)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #478 on: August 07, 2017, 20:24 »
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]