cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3256
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #480 on: August 11, 2017, 16:37 »
https://twitter.com/helenadias_/status/896029391779766273

Rui Sousa #boavista - the inventor of cycling in Portugal - has decided to retire after nearly 2 centuries on the road as a professional.

The 41-year old has won 5 stages of the Volta a Portugal - most recently, yesterday - and finished on the podium for 4 consecutive years between 2011 and 2014. He's had less success in recent years and - despite his repeated efforts - looks likely to end his career without ever taking the overall title.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1056
    Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #482 on: September 05, 2017, 19:52 »
    And another retirement, this one somewhat more expected:
    http://cykelmagasinet.dk/dansk-cyklings-grand-old-man-takker-af
    #veloconcept Michael Reihs takes his last curtain call after a 17-year-long pro career.
    He's been a valuable road captain for several years and had a significant influence on the careers of a.o. Rasmus Guldhammer, Magnus Cort, Mads Pedersen, Alexander Kamp, Niklas Eg.

Now that he's no longer a rider himself, Reihs will take on a role in the Riis/Seier network behind the team.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5362
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #483 on: September 08, 2017, 19:35 »
    http://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/ciclomercato/wilier-selle-italia-fedi-lascia-ciclismo/

#wilier Andrea Fedi

Looked a prospect, but zero race days in 2017 tells it's own story.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #485 on: September 11, 2017, 20:37 »
    #joker Adrian Aas Stien retires

Who?

The guy from Joker's succesful 2015 vintage that didn't quite make it into WT, despite good results in Tour de Bretagne, Tour de Normandie and quite a few other races and generally being part of maybe the best conti team in Norway since Boasson-Hagen + Kristoff days....in 7 years.

I post it here for its insight into what causes a young rider to retire. In Norwegian so I know not everyone can read it (maybe google translate can?) #joker is one of cyclings major talent factories (his team picture from two years ago now count a lot of WT riders  (well, prove me wrong after the worlds..) but not everyone can take the step up to Pro-Conti or WT level. In a larger picture, that's life, but for an individual, his perspective:

https://aastien.wordpress.com/2017/09/11/mitt-siste-sykkelritt/

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #486 on: September 14, 2017, 12:35 »
    An interesting interview with Farrar about his career, his decision to retire from cycling, and what he plans to do now:
    http://pelotonmagazine.com/racing/farrars-farewell/

Will we have Fire Fighter Farrar in the future? :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #487 on: September 26, 2017, 10:37 »
    http://cyclingpro.net/velopro/mercato/jens-wallays-quitte-peloton-professionnel/

Jens Wallays didn't get a new contract with #vlaanderen and therefore ends his career.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #488 on: September 27, 2017, 10:56 »
    http://www.procycling.no/vet-tar-frisk/

#coop Fredrik Strand Galta also retires from active cycling, at age 24.
    He had some sort of virus last autumn and still was made to race Hainan (and the following *cn races). He's not sure that this is what 'broke his wind', but he's thought about it a lot.
    He moved to #coop for this season, was forbidden to do long training rides by his coach (Kristoff's stepfather Stein Ørn), got sick at the early season races in Portugal, but felt alright again ahead of the Ringerike GP.
    There he crashed and was then crashed into by the following group, leading to a neck injury that took a long time to recover from. And even when the neck was alright again, he couldn't train since May because he would become ill after three sessions.

Galta doesn't know exactly what he'll do now. He's looking at studies and universities, but that won't start until next autumn (too late for this year).
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1318
    « Reply #489 on: October 07, 2017, 11:20 »
    It's a one-month old news but Christophe Prémont stopped his career at age 27.

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/61188/christophe-premont-dit-stop

I've decided to put an end to my cycling career sooner than expected following the offer of a dream job at the Louvain-La-Neuve University. I have never been a great champion but had a lot of fun to race and help real champions winning races.

He said on his Facebook.

Christophe Prémont is a former rider of Lotto-Bodysol, Wallonie-Bruxelles and Crelan-Euphony, had spent six seasons in Conti teams and two in Pro Conti Teams.

In 2015 he won a stage at the Tour of Friuli Venezia Giulia and some TTT's. He has a degree in Physical education and that's why he is also a trainer.

Lire la suite : http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/61188/christophe-premont-dit-stop

Christophe Prémont at the start of the final stage of the 2013 Tour of Wallonia in Soignies (pics by yours truly  ;))

Riders of this era really have a lot of other opportunities. Chris' examples is a testament of that.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1514
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #490 on: October 07, 2017, 16:31 »
    Couple of French ones...

#direct Fabrice Jeandesboz 'Fafa'
    https://twitter.com/blaisou85/status/916682743299309569

#fdj Cedric Pineau 'Titi'
    https://twitter.com/EquipeFDJ/status/915965611926278149
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #491 on: October 11, 2017, 19:02 »
    Gianni Meersman has found a new role:
    http://marlux-napoleongames.be/nieuws/teamnieuws/gianni-meersman-start-vandaag-als-onze-nieuwe-ploegleider-249/
    He'll be sports director at #marlux Marlux-Napoleon Games. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9476
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #493 on: October 18, 2017, 09:08 »
    Shame for Frederik Veuchelen. Before the Grape Race (Druivenkoers) he was already considering putting an end to his career because physically exhausted but said that mentally he still enjoyed it a lot. However at age 39, it's about time.  ;)

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=8714.0
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #494 on: October 25, 2017, 13:43 »
    Cycling Fever, PCS and others have Megias down for retirement, but I can't find anything official about it. Both him and Verschoor retiring at the same time would be a big loss of experience.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #495 on: October 26, 2017, 07:18 »
    Both him and Verschoor retiring at the same time would be a big loss of experience.
    Experience, yes - but just as much (if not more), ability.
    Who else is there on #novonordisk who is capable of anything more than a 84th place?
    Peron & Planet, maybe Lozano, Henttala & Poli, plus, in time, Brand and Valognes.
    The rest is just not competitive.

It's great that they're racing professionally in spite of their diabetes ... but in some cases, I can't escape the feeling that they're in fact racing professionally because of their diabetes - they wouldn't have secured a spot on any other team.
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1514
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #496 on: October 26, 2017, 14:17 »
    Pro with  #ag2r since 2005 Christophe Riblon

5 pro wins including 2 x TDF stages (2010 @ Ax 3 Domaines. 2013 @ Alpe d'Huez, the year he stood on the second step of the podium)

https://twitter.com/philippepriser/status/923537000900321281

At some point, you have to know how to turn the page. I arrived at the end of this adventure. I hoped to continue but inside me, I knew it was over from the moment that AG2R let me know that I was not kept last June. I had contacts with other teams but without real proposals. In early September, I still asked Vincent Lavenu (AG2R General Manager) if he did not want to change his mind, but he clearly told me that there was no room for me . This is a decision I accept without bitterness, which I fully understand. I had to go through the head to say '' I stop ''
    © Le Télégrammehttp://www.letelegramme.fr/cyclisme/ag2r-la-mondiale-christophe-riblon-raccroche-26-10-2017-11717543.php#FGiUCDUdWWK5TYqu.99

BRAVO Christophe

:wave
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #498 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57 »
    You may ridicule me if you want but with that news I've just discovered that he was still active.  :o :D

(sorry  :angel)

Edit: oh I remember that he won the Tachira in 2015, though in January 2015. It seems ages ago.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:09 by Echoes »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #499 on: November 02, 2017, 12:59 »
    You may ridicule me if you want but with that news I've just discovered that he was still active.  :o :D
    This year he's only done the Vuelta al Táchira, and in 2016 he added the Panamerican championships & Vuelta a Colombia to that.
    Decide for yourself how 'active' that is. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #500 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13 »
    Il Piccolo Principe #fantini Damiano Cunego will retire midway during the 2018 season to focus on his studies. He hopes to be able to do a last Giro and retire afterwards - but his adventure could also end with the Tour of Japan instead

http://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/continental/nippo-vini-fantini-cunego-sta-arrivando-momento-smettere-vorrei-farlo-al-giro-cominciato/
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #501 on: November 20, 2017, 10:31 »
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #502 on: November 20, 2017, 22:24 »
    Lars Petter's career is summed up in retrospect by procycling.no.

I don't think this is a big deal for #aquablue. As "Lappe" never was in a position to really contribute on that team, due to illness, it is rather money saved on wages for them. Aquablue have quite a few riders with comparable talents, and he will not leave a big hole in their lineup (althoug maybe not the one who can podium in L-B-L on a good day).

The team that will get a hole in the lineup from this is *no. Lars Petter was the default choice for Norway captain in the upcoming World Championships in Innsbruck. The Rio olympics showed quite well that without an ace climber Norway might as well go for yodel training in the Alps come september, it won't make a big difference in the results. In the world championships in Firenze in 2013, Lappe was keeping up appearances until going down with Vincenzo Nibali on one of the last laps. And then he couldn't ..ahem... get back to the front like Nibali could. In Innsbruck, and in his best shape, he would have been a top 10 contender.

This leaves us with only the Odd Viking as a credible contestant for the world championships (unless CF HAgen should take a step up as well). If I wasn't already rooting for him - I will be yodeling his name come September  :lol

I will remember Lars Petter Nordhaug best for his attacking style. I mean not that he was a very attacking rider, but what he did when he did attack. I gave him the nickname "Captain Obvious" because only Fabio Aru can rival his body language - it looks like a  drawing of cycling from a Tintin album - like a caricature, something overdone:  "HERE I COME, OUTTA MY WAY Y'ALL!"
    And that made him fun to watch, at least in some races!

Tusen Takk Lappe! :wave

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #503 on: Today at 11:35 »
    The team that will get a hole in the lineup from this is *no. Lars Petter was the default choice for Norway captain in the upcoming World Championships in Innsbruck. The Rio olympics showed quite well that without an ace climber Norway might as well go for yodel training in the Alps come september, it won't make a big difference in the results. In the world championships in Firenze in 2013, Lappe was keeping up appearances until going down with Vincenzo Nibali on one of the last laps. And then he couldn't ..ahem... get back to the front like Nibali could. In Innsbruck, and in his best shape, he would have been a top 10 contender.

Even at his best (which was 5 years ago?) I think a top-ten would be overly optimistic for Nordhaug. It just looks too tough a course.

I'd be pinning my hopes on awful weather or Foss in the U23.
  • ReplyReply

•