collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1630
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: Retirement announcements
« Reply #570 on: October 11, 2019, 17:58 »
From CN (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/marcel-kittel-retires-from-professional-cycling/)

It's hard to fault his reasons for doing this. It does seem really hard for a professional cyclist to have any real focus outside of the bike. The part about not wanting to see his son grow up over Skype hits especially hard.

Still leaves something of a bitter taste though. It feels like the announcement just came 2 years too late, his heart just hasn't been in it. It's fine not to want to "torture" yourself, but it feels a little selfish to me when other riders had to torture themselves in the hope of Kittel picking up some glory, then he just doesn't bother turning up. Fine when you're a rider from a wealthy country with a degree lined up, but what about teammates for whom cycling is the only thing they've got?

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, I have no idea what demons he's dealing with, just my initial reaction.
I don't know. It seems to me that it often takes one a long time just to figure out that something is wrong. Like Kittel here. I would be more inclined to think that his internal conversation and the conversation with his mates and coaches would be like this:
"Just a bad day - think positive - and let's get out there and do it again." And he keeps trying to think positive, not recognizing that the dissatisfaction runs deeper. I know it's not always easy to recognize problems, especially when things are grey - partly good and partly bad.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #571 on: October 16, 2019, 21:25 »
    Taylor Phinney to retire from professional cycling

[Interview and pics in link]

This weekend in Japan, Taylor PhinneyTaylor Phinney will zip up his EF Education First kit for the last time. He’ll pin on his numbers, and clip in for what is the final professional road race of a career that’s been beautiful, frustrating, and everything in between.

He fought back from a career-threatening leg break sustained in 2014, and along the way began to ponder a life outside of professional racing. Eventually, the side of him hoping to explore art and music, the side of him hoping to dig deeper into a place rather than a suitcase… that side won out.

"I’m stepping away so that I can be more true to myself, which means to make art, to make music, to create and cultivate" he says
    Party on, dude.  :playlist
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #572 on: October 17, 2019, 03:17 »
    . . .
    Party on, dude.  :playlist
    Yeah. I have to admit, I'm kind of glad to see this. I don't think he was ever as devoted as either his mom or his dad, and the accident just kinda seemed to take what there was and diminish it. I think he's doing the right thing.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13163
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #574 on: October 25, 2019, 07:40 »
    ...and now wants to become a professional boxer!

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20191024_04682592
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #576 on: November 13, 2019, 16:53 »
    I missed this last week:
    https://riwalcyclingteam.dk/the-team/team-news/after-10-years-with-riwal-readynez-jonas-aaen-and-troels-vinther-seek-new-pastures

#riwal Jonas Aaen retires from cycling for good. Troels Vinther, who crashed heavily in April and still is recovering from that, hasn't made the decision yet whether to retire completely, but he won't continue with the Danish PCT.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #577 on: November 22, 2019, 13:48 »
    https://www.procycling.no/vaert-veldig-skremmende-ser-na-helt-klart-burde-hatt-plan-b/

Kristoffer Skjerping didn't get a new contract with #unox, searched for a new team, but didn't succeed. He doesn't know what he'll do now, and has registered as unemployed with the Norwegian unemployment agency, NAV.

https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/algemeen-nieuws/258580/update-na-wippert-hangt-ook-kreder-fiets-aan-de-wilgen-heb-genoten

#evopro Wouter Wippert and #ningxia Michel Kreder also announced their retirements earlier this month.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #578 on: November 22, 2019, 15:45 »
    I could've sworn I posted this the other day. :slow I must've gotten distracted.

Steve Cummings retires at 38

I had totally forgotten that he'd spent time with the Discovery Channel team (2007).

https://twitter.com/lesleycummings3/status/1197834500744601601

How very "British" of her.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1669
    « Reply #579 on: December 08, 2019, 11:19 »
    I think it hasn't been said but it's rather old news now. Stijn Devolder put an end to his career early September. At age 40, he felt that age was seriously impairing his performances. He already intended to retire last year but then he got an offer from Corendon and the prospect of being a teammate for Mathieu Van der Poel motivated him to extend his career for one more year.

https://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/detail_stijn-devolder-ancien-double-vainqueur-du-ronde-pend-son-velo-au-clou?id=10358026

(Second picture is Stijn at the start of a stage of the 2009 Tour of Wallonia, he came too late at the start sheet and thus started the race a bit later than the peloton  :D)

I also read that he still claimed he had more talent for stage races than for single-day races.  :S

Hopefully now, Volderke will be able to fulfill his dream to become a farmer (as shown on the "Cycling Farmers" thread). He seemed so passionate about it and mad about tractors!  :)

Edit: He is indeed saying again that he wants to do something with "farming machine" which he has such a fascination for, and wants no job in the cycling milieu anymore. https://www.wielerkrant.be/nieuws/2019-11-11/stijn-devolder-is-gestopt-met-wielrennen-ik-wilde-altijd-al-iets-doen-met-landbouwmachines#reacties
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:41 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Recent Posts