collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3363
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
UCI Presidency : Cookson, A New Era?
« on: September 27, 2013, 20:39 »
UCI Footage of the election result, Cooksons speach etc.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 18:04 by Dim »

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    Re: UCI Presidency : Cookson, A New Era?
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 21:46 »
    The interesting bit: that Cookson wants some new vice presidents as soon as possible...

The weird bit: why did they include that clip of Makarov speech in Russian? it was clearly out of sequence compared to the agenda

• ReplyReply

• Sundance Kid

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 21:52 »
    Meh, Cookson will have to convince me he's what cycling needs. Doubt he will though, cycling lost anyway with the whole flipping circus around it anyway.

Hi first post.  I cant see how you can say cycling lost. It certainly was a circus but that was created by a Pat desperately clinging on to what he had. It only emphasized how badly cycling needed rid of him. Cycling took a huge stride forward today IMO.The jury is still out on Cookson but his actions will quickly prove one way or another if he is the right man. I hope so.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 21:54 »
    Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla 11h
    Reports that Greece was offered €25,000 to back Cookson in UCI presidential race. We've seen proof that it was indeed the case
  • ReplyReply

• Sundance Kid

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 22:03 »
    Reports that Greece was offered €25,000 to back Cookson in UCI presidential race. We've seen proof that it was indeed the case

Couch potato? Better get out on the bike tomo.

Anyway, would be interested to hear more about her evidence. I watched a report she gave on SKY sports news earlier when she was asked about Pats legacy and she tip toed around the question without giving an answer. So if she is stating that I would believe it to have substance, shes not in the game to stir up rumours.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 22:19 »
    Couch potato? Better get out on the bike tomo.

Anyway, would be interested to hear more about her evidence. I watched a report she gave on SKY sports news earlier when she was asked about Pats legacy and she tip toed around the question without giving an answer. So if she is stating that I would believe it to have substance, shes not in the game to stir up rumours.

What do you mean? i should ride my bike more because i posted a tweet by sky orla?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 22:21 »
    I thought today was a great showcase for the need for change at the UCI.

And, the challenges that Cookson will face going forward.

It is not just the national federations, executive committee, but also the staff at the uci.

Big challenges - not just in policy, but also in organisation.

The thing I found intriguing was the difference between the two secret ballots.

1. Vote on changing rule - 21/21 - you'd have thought that this vote would have split along partisan lines.
    2. Vote on President - 24/18 - 3 people seemingly changed their minds...

Why:
    - the quality of the candidates speeches?
    - the ineptness of the proceedings?
    - the Cookson gesture "bugger it, lets just vote"?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 22:30 »
    This is just nonsense as documented in the Ethics Commission notes:
    - basically someone (unknown) asked the Greek guy (who didn't have a vote) to lobby for Cookson
    - they said get in touch with makarov and he might sponsor the tour of hellas for €25k

No money changed hands, no committment made = no bribe...
  • ReplyReply

• Sundance Kid

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 22:58 »
    What do you mean? i should ride my bike more because i posted a tweet by sky orla?

No mate lol. It was my first post and I saw i have a couch potato rating. Nothing to do with you
  • ReplyReply

• Sundance Kid

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 23:01 »
    This is just nonsense as documented in the Ethics Commission notes:
    - basically someone (unknown) asked the Greek guy (who didn't have a vote) to lobby for Cookson
    - they said get in touch with makarov and he might sponsor the tour of hellas for €25k

No money changed hands, no committment made = no bribe...

Thanks for clearing that up. It did seem strange Cookson would engage in this so early given who he was running against
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 23:14 »
    Cookson strikes me as a cycling geek in a suit. Not one of your archetypal sports execs, avaricious, venal, and bloaty-faced from all the Michelin-starred dinners paid for by those for whom you'll do bidding, for a price.

Time will tell if he'll be as effective as he has been at BC, but a McQuaid clone he is not.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 01:10 »
    This is a good day.  :) I still have some reservations about Cookson and am not sure if he is the right guy to help fix cycling's problems, but I'm willing to give him a chance. Got to be better then McQuaid and at least we are done with him now. Now hopefully he does what he said he would do, leave cycling for good.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10581
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Lantern Rouge

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 40
    « Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 08:27 »
    I think we can all agree that re-electing Pat would have been bad. It remains to be seen if replacing him with Cookson will be good.
    Fully agree. Nice words are nice - but the final decisions and actions are what really counts. The jury is out for the next four years, to judge if Cookson abide on his election promises. My genuine feeling is however, that he will indeed deliver as promised, and I strongly support his wind of change:

1) Truth and Reconcilliation Process
    2) Reform of the UCI AntiDoping Agency into an Independent ADA
    3) Implementation of new anticorrupt - more democratic and more business like - UCI governance structures

In his first interview after the election, Cookson already started to deliver on point 1, as per the quote below.  :cool

Quote from: Cyclingnews interview of Brian Cookson
    Cyclingnews interview of Brian Cookson:
    "We need to put a [Truth and Reconciliation process] structure in place as quickly as possible. Lance Armstrong will be one of the first people invited to contribute to the process once we've established it. And I'll be seeking to do that as quickly as possible."
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 08:46 »
    Fully agree. Nice words are nice - but the final decisions and actions are what really counts. The jury is out for the next four years, to judge if Cookson abide on his election promises. My genuine feeling is however, that he will indeed deliver as promised, and I strongly support his wind of change:

1) Truth and Reconcilliation Process
    2) Reform of the UCI AntiDoping Agency into an Independent ADA
    3) Implementation of new anticorrupt - more democratic and more business like - UCI governance structures

In his first interview after the election, Cookson already started to deliver on point 1, as per the quote below.  :cool

1) agree and he has given himself 6 months - so he has 6 months

2) womens cycling - season starts euro spring - he has to start before and get the process going

3 and 4 are your 2,3 ,

will add a 5 be more open with the business of the UCI ie Prez wages etc

ps when do we get a red light avatar  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5723
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 09:34 »
    2) womens cycling - season starts euro spring - he has to start before and get the process going
    He has a chance to do something there already. On the 2014 calendar, the Trofeo Alfredo Binda World Cup and Gent-Wevelgem are held on the same date, and the Trofeo Binda organisers aren't chuffed about it:
    Quote from: Trofeo Binda press release
    The World Cup will be held on the 30 March. Or maybe not.

The International Cycling Union announced the 2014 sport calendar.  The Trofeo Binda has been confirmed as a world cup event, to be held on the 30th of March. Everything under control? “No, I wouldn’t say so” declares Mario Minervino, president of the Cycling Sport Promotion, the organiser of the “best World cup event”, in the UCI’s words. “On the same day, the Gent- Wevelgem race is to be held in Belgium. We’re very disappointed because the UCI has not been sufficiently attentive to  preserving the World Cup events. We’re not afraid of the concurrence, but we want to protect the movement. Once these Worlds are over, we’ll consider closing our World Cup experience.”
    The two races have been held on the same date this year (and the year before) too, but until now Gent-Wevelgem was a NE race. Now it has 1.2 status, and will supposedly draw a stronger field and thereby diminish the attraction of the World Cup race on the same day.

The solution is so simple it's almost too simple:
    Move the Trofeo Binda one week earlier, to the day of Milano - San Remo. The distance from Milano to Cittiglio is ~70-75 km, if they really wanted they could even have the men and women start together on the Piazza del Duomo, with the men going south and the women going northwest. It would probably make the women's race a bit easier (as there wouldn't be as many laps of the Cittiglio circuit - EDIT: Actually, having checked the 2013 race thread, they started with a 52 km course this year before 4 laps, so it wouldn't actually change much). In time they could add a couple of laps to make it a longer distance. I'd like the concept of having the longest men's race and the longest women's race being held on the same day and setting off from Milano together.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 09:45 »
    And something else:
    With the election now over, would anybody want to speculate who voted for whom?
    Unlike at the conclave, we even have the numbers, so we're in a better position to speculate ...
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 10:03 »
    Out with the old...

Executive Board

President - Pat McQuaid IRL
    Vice-President - Hee Wook CHO KOR
    Vice-President - Renato Di Rocco ITA
    Vice-President - Artur Lopes POR

In with the new...

http://twitter.com/SophieSmith86/statuses/383878442925568000

Obviously some Africans didn't take the party line.

The three new VP's are:
    Lappartient David (Europe)
    Gaudrey Tracy (Oceania)
    Azzam Mohamed Wagih (Africa)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 11:10 »
    Don't know much about Azzam (he's the Egyptian, right?), but with Lappartient and Gaudry as second-in-command, this ship is already turning into the right direction.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56 »
    And something else:
    With the election now over, would anybody want to speculate who voted for whom?
    Unlike at the conclave, we even have the numbers, so we're in a better position to speculate ...

My Guess:

Vote#NameCountryConfederation
    Cookson1Thierry MarechalBelgiumEurope
    Cookson2Slavomir SvobodaCzech RepublicEurope
    Cookson3Rudolf MassakAustriaEurope
    Cookson4Toni KirschGermanyEurope
    Cookson5Yvonne MattssonSwedenEurope
    Cookson6Jean RegenwetterLuxembourgEurope
    Cookson7Victoria LesnikovaRussiaEurope
    Cookson8Patrice RoyFranceEurope
    Cookson9Peter depriveSlovakiaEurope
    Cookson10Harald Tiedemann HansenNorwayEurope
    Cookson11Umberto LangelottiMonacoEurope
    Cookson12Charles JacksonGreat BritainEurope
    Cookson13Marcel WintelsNetherlandsEurope
    Cookson14Klaus MuellerAustraliaOceania
    Cookson15Richard LeggatNew ZealandOceania
    Cookson16Dominic SansomFiji IslandsOceania
    Cookson17Steve Johnson USAAmerica
    Cookson18Jorge Ovidio González ColombiaAmerica
    Cookson19Waldo Ortiz Puerto RicoAmerica
    Cookson20Julius MwangiKenyaAfrica
    Cookson21William NewmanSouth AfricaAfrica
    Cookson22Aimable BayinganaRwandaAfrica
    Cookson23Danilo CorreiaMozambiqueAfrica
    Cookson24Winston CrowtherSierra LeoneAfrica
    McQuaid1Abu Samah WahabMalaysiaAsia
    McQuaid2Cai JiadongChinaAsia
    McQuaid3Decha HemkrasriThailandAsia
    McQuaid4Nobuhiro MatsukuraJapanAsia
    McQuaid5Alfred LiHong Kong ChinaAsia
    McQuaid6Khalid bin Hamad Al-Khalifa BahrainAsia
    McQuaid7Majid Ahmed Al-NaimiQatarAsia
    McQuaid8Allen ChaizhunussovKazakhstanAsia
    McQuaid9Lee Dae HoonKoreaAsia
    McQuaid10Giovanni DuciItaly Europe
    McQuaid11Gabriel Curuchet ArgentinaAmerica
    McQuaid12Jose Luis Vasconcellos BrazilAmerica
    McQuaid13Edgar Hernández MexicoAmerica
    McQuaid14Juan Luis Rodriguez Dominican RepublicAmerica
    McQuaid15Alfredo Flores GuatemalaAmerica
    McQuaid16Trevor Bailey San VicenteAmerica
    McQuaid17Yao Kouame AllahIvory CoastAfrica
    McQuaid18Mohamed BelmahiMoroccoAfrica

Logic:
    - all Europeans except Italy for Cookson
    - all Oceania for Cookson
    - all Asia for McQuaid
    - Africa spilt, Cookson managed to convince Commonwealth Nations to vote for him (plus McQuaid aparthaid-era antics)
    - Americas split USA & Puerto Rico always for Cookson, Colombia changed mind to Cookson at last minute when he stood up and said let's stop messing around and vote
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 14:34 »
    New UCI president Brian Cookson promises changes

Yes we CAN!

In a corrupt/not working constitution/''company structure'' replacing one face with the other is not very spectacular.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 15:14 »
    Fiji getting a delegate with the power to vote at such an important meeting is ROFL. I mean, what cycling happens in Fiji? When was the last time they sent a rider to an Oceania Champs?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 15:47 »
    Yes we CAN!

In a corrupt/not working constitution/''company structure'' replacing one face with the other is not very spectacular.

What would have been really spectacular would have been to elect somebody who hadn't actually stood.

• ReplyReply

• Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 13:59 »
    I wish he would have his teeth whitened, or cleaned, or something. Not that it has any bearing on his performance, but in these realms sometimes all they have left is style...
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3791
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 14:57 »
    I wish he would have his teeth whitened, or cleaned, or something. Not that it has any bearing on his performance, but in these realms sometimes all they have left is style...

Just checked.

Yikes :o
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 15:03 »
    Deep in the night when the wind howls, the stairs creak and small animals copulate in the bushes of her garden, Florrina dreams a restless nightmare in which she frantically searches for an exit in the long, dark and empty corridors of Aigle armed only with a single thread of dental floss.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 07:52 »
    may not really fit in here , but it does

McQuaid officially removed from list of International Olympic Committee members

A process will now be launched to elect a replacement to fill the position, one of the 15 places allocated to the International Federations under the rules of the Olympic Charter.

It is unlikely to be Cookson, however.

"His successor will not automatically become an IOC member," the spokeswoman told insidethegames.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 17:22 »
    may not really fit in here , but it does

McQuaid officially removed from list of International Olympic Committee members

A process will now be launched to elect a replacement to fill the position, one of the 15 places allocated to the International Federations under the rules of the Olympic Charter.

It is unlikely to be Cookson, however.

"His successor will not automatically become an IOC member," the spokeswoman told insidethegames.

Great news. I was worried that McQuaid would still be tarnishing sport even when knocked off his pedestal. An ideal location to have done that from, was within the IOC so having him removed at least means there is one less opportunity he has to stick his head back in and dip his fingers in the pie. Though as said in another thread I have my own reservations about the current IOC president..
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: Stage 16: Rovetta - Bormio by t-72
    [Today at 23:29]

Re: Tour des Fjords by LukasCPH
    [Today at 23:26]

Re: stage 17: Tirano-Canazei 219km by DJW
    [Today at 22:35]

Re: Tour des Fjords by killswitch