collapse

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1379
  • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
Re: UCI Presidency : Cookson, A New Era?
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2013, 22:22 »
 I was at the event in Newport on Friday to watch somebody's big sister riding tandem pilot for the first time.
 It was great to see the event so well attended by riders from all over the globe.
 However, in the grand scheme of things, perhaps it was borderline, when you compare that certain major stage races in the US aren't tested either.

Money is finite, targets, less so.

I would agree that to break a WR and not get it ratified because of this penalises the athlete for something that is the UCI's responsibility. If it is their responsibility, perhaps it should not be at their discretion.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10236
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #121 on: December 04, 2013, 17:09 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #122 on: December 19, 2013, 12:20 »
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #123 on: December 19, 2013, 22:45 »
    Cookson in Spain to reward this year's success thanks to hard work, dedication and pan-y-agua.

He really should invest in some dental work to improve that forced smile.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8430
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #124 on: December 19, 2013, 22:54 »

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #125 on: December 27, 2013, 21:34 »
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #126 on: January 06, 2014, 14:59 »
    Nice article on Cookson's first 100 days:

http://inrng.com/2014/01/brian-cookson-100-days-uci-president

My personal view is:
    - the IC is taking too long to be setup;
    - the review of the UCI rulebook and constitution seems to missing from the list, but is ongoing. I don't know which genius decided to appoint Dimitris Katsanis (a member of the British Secret Squirrel club) to look at the bike regulations, but it could backfire greatly;
    - I like the way Cookson doesn't comment on everything and everyone in the press;
    - I like the way Cookson published his salary;
    - I want to know when CADF is going to be truly independent.

Overall, I think he seems an improvement, but a long way to go.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #127 on: February 01, 2014, 21:46 »
    bizarre time to release a press release - Saturday evening

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDetails2011.asp?id=OTgyMQ&MenuId=MTYzMDQ&LangId=1&BackLink=%2FTemplates%2FUCI%2FUCI8%2Flayout%2Easp%3FMenuID%3DMTYzMDQ%26LangId%3D1

I'm intrigued by the tech. committee especially as it has Team Sky's Operational man on it
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #129 on: February 12, 2014, 15:38 »
    Big, big mistake by Cookson

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #130 on: February 12, 2014, 15:42 »
     :D

was about to link and say massive mistake
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3349
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #131 on: February 12, 2014, 15:51 »
    Hmm, well we didnt actually hear the question, so its hard to know what he was actually answering.

Was the question "do you feel sorry for Chris Froome having to put up with doping allegations" ?

Hes also very careful to say he doesnt think there is a team sponsored doping program there, he doesnt rule out individuals doing their own thing

But, its really hard to judge the answer, without having heard the question.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #132 on: February 12, 2014, 16:03 »
    It does not matter he should not be feeling for anyone. Whatmhe should have said is something like this

Do you feel sorry for rider x facing doping allegations.  I as president can not talk individuals, the sport has shown for the last x years that we have a doping problem. My job is to facilitate a way to find the cheats and show that we are getting cleaner. By doing that the questions to individuals will stop.

not what Pat said about Lance as USPS

• ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #133 on: February 12, 2014, 16:03 »
    I agree that it is difficult to see what drove the answer without the context of the question or even the whole interview.

But we are in a 140-character age and this 38-sec snippet will only reinforce some people's minds that Cookson is biased.

That is where I think the massive mistake is.

It is interesting that the UCI is going to outsource doping and yet one of their core roles is:

"Our job is to convince people that what they can now see is something that they can believe in"

This is going to be difficult especially given the signal to noise ratio is so low low on the internet.
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #134 on: February 12, 2014, 16:13 »
    Hmm, well we didnt actually hear the question, so its hard to know what he was actually answering.

Was the question "do you feel sorry for Chris Froome having to put up with doping allegations" ?

Hes also very careful to say he doesnt think there is a team sponsored doping program there, he doesnt rule out individuals doing their own thing

But, its really hard to judge the answer, without having heard the question.

but cookson should realise that this will (or at least could) be presented as a 'soundbite' rather than as an answer to a question.  if the question was posed as you suggest he could have stated ' i would feel sorry for any clean rider being accused of doping' - he would then be avoiding the unhelpful comparison to hein/pat and lance, that does froome nor cookson any favours.
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #135 on: February 12, 2014, 16:15 »
    I think we know PR isnt his strongest suit.

But to take a tiny snippet without the question, or without knowing what he said before or after (does he also feel sorry for nibali and horner) without context is ludicrous.

Maybe he should go the pat route, deny he was ever on the board at sky, say froome is the most tested athlete, deny cycling has a problem.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #136 on: February 12, 2014, 16:22 »
    1. I don't think Brian Cookson was ever on the board at Sky Procycling, well not according to the papers filed at Companies House. He may have been on some sort of managerial committee, but the actual board - nope.

2. As you say, I'm glad that PR is not Cookson's sweet spot. He does come across as a competent administrator, wanting to drive consensus and always seems to have the best interest of the sport as his motive rather than personal ego or monetary gain. A real improvement.

3. Dim, you know how people are. Wiggins changing his mind every 5 seconds, but people hang on a sentence said 5 years ago as if he is belief today. It is tragic, but it is the current situation.
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #137 on: February 12, 2014, 16:24 »
    I think we know PR isnt his strongest suit.

But to take a tiny snippet without the question, or without knowing what he said before or after (does he also feel sorry for nibali and horner) without context is ludicrous.

Maybe he should go the pat route, deny he was ever on the board at sky, say froome is the most tested athlete, deny cycling has a problem.

there is a difference between denying being involved with Sky and using any former involvement there as a means of determining they are above doping.  He has to realise that any answer he gives can be presented in this way, so it isnt ludicrous, that he is judged on it as must know that he will be.  Just because the question may have referred to Froome doesnt mean he has to refer to Froome in the answer - there is a middle ground between what he has said and the 'pat route' surely?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 16:35 by mc_mountain »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #138 on: February 12, 2014, 16:31 »
    there is a difference between denying being involved with Sky and using any former involvement there as a means of determining they are above doping.  He has to realise that any answer he gives can be presented in this way, so it isnt ludicrous, that he is judged on it as must now that he will be.  Just because the question may have referred to Froome doesnt mean he has to refer to Froome in the answer - there is a middle ground between what he has said and the 'pat route' surely?

agreed and by not naming names and refusing to get involved in say rider x I believe is clean type stuff.

but you know the Internet ......

Cookson has been very very good in what he has done an said way more than I thought, but this was a massive mistake and it will follow him.

I would have said the same if he mentioned Will Clarke, but I expect both sides of this arguement would not have bothered getting involved
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #140 on: February 12, 2014, 16:42 »
    Clarification from Cookson:

https://twitter.com/BrianCooksonUCI/statuses/433638134467674112

https://twitter.com/BrianCooksonUCI/statuses/433639290329767936

I believe him.
    Not everyone will.
    It will haunt him.

Its good that he is prepared to clarify - but it does seem to be an acceptance that he erred and that what he said can be taken in a detrimental way.  hopefully in future he will need to make less clarifications.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #141 on: February 12, 2014, 17:01 »
    Hmmm, very interesting that "Sports News TV" - an agency partnership between IMG and The Associated Press.

http://www.sntv.com/about-us

Obviously, the business model is release very short snippets on YouTube to get newspapers and TV stations excited and then syndicate the real detail.

Sensational stuff sells.

I expect it to be in the Daily Mail tomorrow ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #142 on: February 12, 2014, 17:39 »
    Exactly, theyve taken a 30 second clip from a press conference and then served it up as click bait knowing people will bite.

cant beleive people take this stuff seriously.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #143 on: February 12, 2014, 17:39 »
    The other thing that when the UCI prez says  " I don´t beleive that Froome was doping when he won the Tour "  will of course mean that the other riders were not doping as well

I cycling is clean now.

Of course he would not say that if asked a direct question, he might say cleaner. But Froome clean = the peloton GC riders clean as well

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #144 on: February 12, 2014, 17:40 »
    Exactly, theyve taken a 30 second clip from a press conference and then served it up as click bait knowing people will bite.

cant beleive people take this stuff seriously.

If it was Pat or Hein you would have and have lead the charge
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #145 on: February 12, 2014, 18:05 »
    The other thing that when the UCI prez says  " I don´t beleive that Froome was doping when he won the Tour "  will of course mean that the other riders were not doping as well

I cycling is clean now.

Of course he would not say that if asked a direct question, he might say cleaner. But Froome clean = the peloton GC riders clean as well

I think the last part might have been the worst part. He made it seem like it is the job of the UCI to make cycling appear clean again rather than actually being clean, didn't like that.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #146 on: February 12, 2014, 18:10 »

I cycling is clean now.

He does not say cycling is clean. He says he doesnt "believe" sky has an organised doping policy, and I dont "feel", I dont "beleive" Froome was doping when he won the tour.

Thats a long way from saying he thinks cycling is clean.

Like I say, this is a 30 second clip, 30 seconds from an entire press conference, posted on youtube as click bait by a press agency, its very easy to over analyse a 30 second clip without context.

Seriously, wait until we have the full presser, the whole context of the discussion before we start ripping into the guy.

This is getting blown up out of all proportion. its a 30 second edited clip.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #147 on: February 12, 2014, 18:13 »
    He does not say cycling is clean. He says he doesnt "believe" sky has an organised doping policy, and I dont "feel", I dont "beleive" Froome was doping when he won the tour.

Thats a long way from saying he thinks cycling is clean.

Like I say, this is a 30 second clip, 30 seconds from an entire press conference, posted on youtube as click bait by a press agency, its very easy to over analyse a 30 second clip without context.

Seriously, wait until we have the full presser, the whole context of the discussion before we start ripping into the guy.

This is getting blown up out of all proportion. its a 30 second edited clip.

he should not be believing anything or an individual as the UCI prez he should have answered in a non indvidual manor

hence the mistake

as for what other s think or say not worried
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #148 on: February 12, 2014, 18:15 »
    If it was Pat or Hein you would have and have lead the charge

No I most certainly wouldnt, and you should know me better than that. Ive never been one to take a single soundbite, or snippet as evidence, yes, ok, it was fun to make the phil liggett thing using his soundbites and blowing them up out of context for a laugh, but generally with anything Lance my thoughts were based on digging, information, analysis, studying, rather than 30 second soundbites. Im slightly offended you think I would react to an armstrong quote like that. Im all about context.

Yes, Cookson lacks in the PR basket, and hes not the sharpest tool in the box, but id rather someone who is honest with their opinion and thoughts than tries to bullsh*t us with PR Guff, lies and misdirection.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #149 on: February 12, 2014, 18:16 »
    he should not be believing anything or an individual as the UCI prez he should have answered in a non indvidual manor

hence the mistake

as for what other s think or say not worried

just because hes in charge of the UCI means hes not allowed to have personal thoughts and opinions? Storm in a teacup.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.