collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10460
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5663
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: UCI Presidency : Cookson, A New Era?
« Reply #273 on: November 24, 2015, 14:20 »
https://twitter.com/SSbike/status/669143230185938944
And I fully applaud this.

I didn't get why people jumped on the UCI hours, nay, minutes, after the WADA decision, asking why Kamaev hadn't been thrown out already.
There is such a thing as due process; you can't expect the UCI to sit with the finger on the trigger, ready to fire the second another agency makes a decision.

What is happening, I am defending the UCI? :o
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1263
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #274 on: November 24, 2015, 14:38 »

I didn't get why people jumped on the UCI hours, nay, minutes, after the WADA decision, asking why Kamaev hadn't been thrown out already.
    There is such a thing as due process; you can't expect the UCI to sit with the finger on the trigger, ready to fire the second another agency makes a decision.

Good lad. I think the UCI is now one of the best governing bodies in the world. I fully believe that their intentions are correct, which can't be said for many.

That's what happens when you put a Brit in charge  :D

Seb Coe you say? Oh...  :shh

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #275 on: November 24, 2015, 14:38 »

the timing was funny though

Cookson talks to Orla - we think our cycling Russians are ok

a hour or so after skysports have the article up

The RUSADA link comes out  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #276 on: November 24, 2015, 14:45 »
    a hour or so after skysports have the article up
    Well, sometimes timing is just sh*t. This was one of those times.

As much as we may want to, we can't blame Cookson for everything that doesn't go 100% perfect.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #277 on: November 24, 2015, 14:50 »

As much as we may want to, we can't blame Cookson for everything that doesn't go 100% perfect.

Have you been on the Tramadol again Lukas?   :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #278 on: November 28, 2015, 15:11 »

You cant blame Cookson for the mess UCI were when he took the job - well, partly, because he was involved in UCI since 1996 or so - but you can blame he if he doesnt do enough to clean up the mess. Being rightly informed is one of those things he should excell at though, yet he looks like he isnt 60% of the time...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 331
    « Reply #281 on: December 08, 2015, 13:41 »
    https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/674197775245012993

I think that these last two posts alone enable us to answer the question that is the thread title.

And, to me at least, that answer is "No".

We have that same myopic focus on men's road cycling as the be all and end all of cycling. There is no recognition - or at least no apparent recognition - that there are significant segments of the cycling population who have absolutely no interest in men's road cycling. Whether that's because they are female (and therefore associate more with the female racers who they can see), or are more motivated by playing in the dirt (be it MTB or 'cross) ... not to mention the emphasis that a lot of national federations have put on building depth in their track teams.

Yet still the UCI pours it's attention into men's road cycling - primarily, I would guess, because that is where the historical money is.

The cycling world is changing. Look at the stats for bike sales and road sales are dropping markedly while MTB sales are accelerating at twice the rate of the total bike market growth. (As an aside, so are hybrid's and electric bikes - which reflects much about bike use in general. And within those categories, women's specific bikes are growing even faster still.) Surely a forward thinking sporting body would be looking at these trends and doing what it could to promote the new growth areas - since they are surely where the future of the sport lies?? But the idea of the UCI devoting real attention to MTB, cross and women's cycling ... And really how much attention do they give to track ... Phhh!!!

So, to me, Cookson and his cronies are living in the past ... and will not take cycling anywhere - or at least not take it anywhere that is worth going.

And speaking of places worth going - we're having an unusually warm and sunny early December ... so I'm about to take either the MTB or the cross bike out for a spin in the park!!! Nothing like playing in the mud as a good way to start the day!!   :D :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #282 on: December 09, 2015, 20:00 »
    Surely a forward thinking sporting body would be looking at these trends and doing what it could to promote the new growth areas - since they are surely where the future of the sport lies??
    There's your answer right there.

The UCI - any sports federations, really - don't do proactivism, forward thinking, initiative.

They're dragged along, resisting the best they can (and often delaying or even overturning changes).
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #283 on: December 09, 2015, 20:32 »
    There's your answer right there.

The UCI - any sports federations, really - don't do proactivism, forward thinking, initiative.

They're dragged along, resisting the best they can (and often delaying or even overturning changes).

Alas, you're right. They protect the cash cows first and foremost, everything else is a nice to have.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #285 on: September 13, 2016, 09:11 »
    Cookson: "You have to go where the money is"
    in Featured , International , News INT  13/09/2016    0

Brian Cookson
    Cookson, president of the UCI © Cycle 21
    Nicolas Van Looy / Ciclo21
    The president of the International Cycling Union (UCI), Britain 's Brian Cookson, following the example of his predecessors, has been eager to take the cycling of the corseted borders of Europe to carry it all over the world. Thus, we have seen how countries with a cycling tradition established as Australia saw recognized their efforts with the inclusion of some of its races on the World Tour and at the same time, how places without tradition or hobby, or interest for the sport of pedal that could support the sudden urge to organize races, saw their events were included in the choicest calendar. Some of those races, as expected (Tour of Beijing) have been flower a few seasons, others now come up against the reality check that before the resurrection of evidence in Europe on the same dates teams no longer have much interest in exotic adventures and others, despite having the support of large companies and powerful figures, scrambling to stay afloat .
    One thing that differentiates Brian Cookson from its predecessors is that the British are not hiding behind that internationalization is an end in itself, but that does not hide that the opening of the sport to new frontiers is nothing more than a means to another purpose: to improve the economic viability of the UCI and cycling.
    This has been made ​​clear by responding to the latest controversy in this regard has been created. Mathieu van der Poel, who will be absent from both tests while still recovering from double knee surgery , he made ​​it clear recently that from his point of view holding two scoring in the World Cup cyclocross in the United States "has no sense". For the Dutch runner (and this coincides with many players in the winter specialty), " the first thing you should do is get cyclocross is a more international sport in Europe".
    However, Cookson made it clear that neither share that view nor the UCI seen as a priority facilitate that, at least in its challenge historical quotations recover in countries like Spain, Italy, France ... because "you have to go where the money is ". Clearer water.
    Referring to the words of Van der Poel, Cookson, present these days in Rio de Janeiro on the occasion of the celebration of the Paralympic Games, he said that "it is wrong. From my point of view you have to go where the means and money are. And, to be honest, the United States is one of the most powerful economies in the world ". That said, Cookson added something that might sound as contradictory as that "we must also respect the heritage and tradition of the sport and that also applies to the route".
    The head of the world body abounded that "the UCI is very important that such representative as our sport is practiced worldwide. Everyone knows that Belgium is home for cyclocross and that's good, but it can not be that this sport subsists only one country. " In this sense, Cookson explained that "worldwide there is a growing interest in cyclocross. United States, China, Australia, UK ... Developing cyclocross in these countries is something that takes time. "
    The president of the UCI understands the reasons why the specialty is popular in one place can not be applied to the rest of the world. "In Belgium cyclocross is popular because people go out to a muddy field or the dunes and lots of chips and beer are consumed. It is an ideal place to spend a day with friends occasion, but in other place in the world cyclocross interest is based more on participation. And that's also good. "

link to article in French
  • ReplyReply

• vayerism

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 71
    « Reply #286 on: September 13, 2016, 10:22 »
    Cookson once said to Landis and ashenden

"I think you overplay doping, if we look at times, they are down, speeds are down and the performances are much more credible"

Or words to that affect

Only they weren't and they aren't. He is a denier of the reality of the role doping plays in the sport.

He allowed Froome to ride on an illegal TUE, he was bankrolled by Marakov. He told JTL to shut up, he threw Femme under a bus. he ignored his own commission in CIRC.

The man is a joke. we swapped a bully for a coward and the result is the same. Only with the bully we got even(ish) national growth, with the coward the Brits can do what they want, while Luca gets merked for cocaine.

The bottom line is pretty simple, both leaders have tied their carriage to a sub set of the sport from there they make their decisions.

The actual bottom line is if you're arguing with Ashenden over doping, and you're not Parrisotto, you're a flat out idiot.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #287 on: September 13, 2016, 10:25 »
    if you're arguing with Ashenden over doping, and you're not Parrisotto, you're a flat out idiot
    indeed I have had a couple of email chats with Ashenden with some views on where it all went wrong - super interesting stuff and if I was to take over the UCI I would make him head of the anti doping arm and make it independent in day 1 with the only link being where some of the money comes from
  • ReplyReply

• vayerism

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 71
    « Reply #288 on: September 13, 2016, 10:29 »
    He can't keep ASO happy. He started a ridiculous PDF, that barely gets updated, and when it is its selectively

He said "the fans don't need to know about every positive" - actually we do.
    He said on the menchov positive "People only care about the Tour" - actually we don't. This was the reason that he was allowed to keep his Giro.
    He begged Lance to take part in CIRC, then told him to flip off. He did nothing to support Dan Stevens, he allowed the Henao saga to stretch out ridiculously without intervention.

Ultimately the UCI still have control over which doping cases to pursue, and if that doesn't scare the crap out of you, there is something wrong.

Post Merge: September 13, 2016, 10:35
    Ashenden called it out years ago, when he wanted independence and WADA denied him it.

the inference that their are cases that are not pursued for whatever reason, and you have to like it only he didn't so we lost him.

The reason I'm such a fan, is when landis told him about microdosing, he changed his method and tried to combat it, isn't of just saying how good the current tools are.

Ashenden - wants to catch dopers
    WADA - want to catch the occasional doper
    UCI - What is doping?

• ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 179
    « Reply #289 on: September 13, 2016, 23:31 »
    Good posts.  The rubbish PDF system is so annoying and so against his manifesto - why aren't even those poodles in the cycling press calling him out over it. 

One PDF, every Nat Fed's banned riders as well as those within the jurisdiction of the UCI - we are in 2016 it is the electronic age for goodness sake - an online database with some simple search facilities. 

Right now, just as UKAD and BC kept Lizzies ban silent I think the UCI are deliberately allowing National Feds elsewhere to be "silent" and by not asking for details and not publishing them, Cookson is playing Pontius Pilate.  Way out of line with his manifesto.

Then your assertion that the UCI can still influence doping matters.   I don't doubt it and it does scare the crap out of me.  1991 Indurain the extra-terrestial - yeah like heck. 1996 Riis, just what the hell was I watching - If Indurain took the p1ss, Riis blew the whole cr*p-house down.  1999 Festina and Lance - the sport was still in the cess pit.  2009 Lance was back !  'Nuff said.  Wiggins - Froome 2012 - 2013, Femke and Lizzie in 2016. 

I can only watch or engage in it when I feel masochistic.  "I want to screw up my day, I know what is guaranteed to do that for me - what is going on in the world of pro- cycling, with Cookson in charge?  Oh look more sh1t - I wonder what the consistency is like".
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: Official Prediction Game 2017 by search
    [Today at 05:15]

Re: 2017 Giro CQ Game by DJW
    [April 27, 2017, 23:17]

Re: Tour de Romandie by t-72
    [April 27, 2017, 22:56]

Re: For those who like it slow by t-72