collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Re: UCI Presidency : Cookson, A New Era?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 17:57 »
So is Hein still there then
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 23:02 »
    As well as looking into Team Sky accounts, I thought that I'd have a look at the British Cycling Federation accounts to give a glimpse what "openness and transparency" we can look forward to in the future at the UCI.

It doesn't look good...

- BCF reports a single Income line - it doesn't even break out revenue by grants (eg Sport England), sponsorships (many of which are shared with Team Sky eg Sky, Pinarello, Gatorade) and memberships.
    - I cannot find a single sponsorship deal with a monetary amount attached
    - As far as transparency on pay is concerned, BCF only report the highest paid director
    - There is a complicated web of interconnected companies (eg The Velodrome Trust which receives direct funding for  track time for elite athletes, a british cycling events company for promoting races (compare and contrast to GCP)
    - I cannot find a "Register of Conflicts of Interests" or anything similar

What does look good...
    - a growing membership
    - very healthy financial reserves and balance sheet

But not so much openness and transparency

I almost think that McQuaid missed a trick there in his campaign and instead of innuendo, he could really have dispelled the myth of Cookson as a leading light in transparency.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 07:26 »
    I almost think that McQuaid missed a trick there in his campaign and instead of innuendo, he could really have dispelled the myth of Cookson as a leading light in transparency.
    Come on, it's McQuaid. You couldn't possibly expect him to act so very sensible. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26 »
    A quick word on the knock-on effect in the UK of Cookson winning the big job. He can't now be President of British Cycling.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/540667/bob-howden-poised-to-become-new-president-of-british-cycling.html

But it looks like they're keeping everything in house - same ship, same direction, different Captain.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 820
    « Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50 »
    As well as looking into Team Sky accounts, I thought that I'd have a look at the British Cycling Federation accounts to give a glimpse what "openness and transparency" we can look forward to in the future at the UCI.

It doesn't look good...

- BCF reports a single Income line - it doesn't even break out revenue by grants (eg Sport England), sponsorships (many of which are shared with Team Sky eg Sky, Pinarello, Gatorade) and memberships.
    - I cannot find a single sponsorship deal with a monetary amount attached
    - As far as transparency on pay is concerned, BCF only report the highest paid director
    - There is a complicated web of interconnected companies (eg The Velodrome Trust which receives direct funding for  track time for elite athletes, a british cycling events company for promoting races (compare and contrast to GCP)
    - I cannot find a "Register of Conflicts of Interests" or anything similar

What does look good...
    - a growing membership
    - very healthy financial reserves and balance sheet

But not so much openness and transparency

Keith, are you looking at the accounts, or the summarised accounts in the glossy annual report?

IF it is the former, that ain't good, and disappoints me, tbh. Can you provide a link?
    IF it is the latter:

As much as I welcome scepticism, and I certainly understand we are all coming in with very negative experiences that colour our hopes for the future, but if you are reading the annual report, I come to a totally different reading of what it could flag for the future.

BC Annual Report 2012: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/corporate/BC_ANNUAL_REPORT_2012.pdf

If you skip pages 60 and 61 (which has those very broad streak summaries that you seem to hint at), page 62 starts with

The accounts set out overleaf on pages 60 and 61 are a summary of the information taken from the full accounts. These summarised accounts may not
    contain sufficient information to allow a full understanding of the financial affairs of the company. For further information, the full accounts, the auditors’ report on these accounts and the Directors’ report should be consulted. Copies of these accounts can be obtained from Stuart Street, Manchester, M11 4DQ. [Signed off by Cookson] 

I haven't obtained those, but I have a feeling that much of what you are looking for will be contained in these documents, fully detailed.

Assuming you haven't seen the full accounts and were referring to the AR, it is all demonstrably several starbursts away from the level of transparent reporting that we got from Pat & Co, who was leaving even its own management committee in the dark about internal financial affairs. I'm not sure how much personal involvement Cookson actually had in the shape and presentation of these documents. But it's kinda immaterial: he appears to promise something along big business standards for the UCI, a self-imposed obligation of a high level of transparency to millions of cycling stakeholders, akin to the level of big business to its stakeholders. It probably will be split out in two again, one for general consumption and promotion, one for the nitty gritty. It pretty much always is, as these docs have different functions. That the AR only gave headline figures for the finances doesn't surprise me, tbh.

What Cookson has promised sounds decent enough for me, for now. The proof will be in the eating. Until then, I actually have more reasons to belief him than to doubt him, as he seems to be starting off as promised, so far.

Like you, I have seen much turned sour. Scepticism and pre-emptive attacks have to be fair though, otherwise we might well get a more defensive president and UCI than we currently have, because of our attitude, not Cookson's. In general, funny things happen to people who are besieged unfairly.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 14:17 »
    Keith, are you looking at the accounts, or the summarised accounts in the glossy annual report?

IF it is the former, that ain't good, and disappoints me, tbh. Can you provide a link?
    IF it is the latter:

Mr Postman,
    I started off reading the Annual Report on their website and was disappointed with the disclosure that "fuller accounts were available on request or at companies house" - even the UCI publish their accounts on their website.

So I downloaded the accounts from companies house. Here they are:

Twelve months ending 31/3/2013
    Twelve months ending 31/3/2012
    Twelve months ending 31/3/2011
    Twelve months ending 31/3/2010

I haven't done any detailed analysis yet as I have been busy all day.

But as I said last night, there is very little transparency. Even the UCI is more transparent.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10824
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 15:16 »
    new Era may just be

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 16:11 »
    Verbiest had to go, he was in it up to his neck. Good riddance.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 16:52 »
    Martin Gibbs, BC policy and legal director is leaving the national fed to become Cookson's chief of staff.

From Twitter .

If the uci become BC mark 2 Cookson will be gone in 4 years I think
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 17:13 »
    Good riddance.
    WORD!

If the uci become BC mark 2 Cookson will be gone in 4 years I think
    As long as he's replaced by Lappartient ... ;)
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 10:36 »
    Looks like Brian has written his final blog...

THE WORK BEGINS NOW
    3/10/13
    I am writing to you from my new office in Aigle, in what will be the last of my campaign blogs.

The few days ahead of the election were as hectic as I have ever experienced in my professional career, but brought what I believe to be the right result.

It is a huge honour to have been elected President of the UCI and I would like to thank everybody who has supported me and encouraged me throughout the campaign from riders, sponsors and federation presidents to ordinary cycling fans. Wherever I have been in the world I have met people who, like me, love cycling but believe the sport has been undermined by the way it has been governed.

The campaign was hard-fought although I endeavoured at all times to make it an election in which the issues which cycling must tackle were fully and honestly debated. I did not succeed as often as I would have liked but I believed that it was a battle which had to be fought, and won.

I understand expectations are high and I welcome that. Equally, it would be an understatement to say there is a lot of work to be done.

We took the first steps on Friday afternoon and the day after the World Championships, I was on a train to Switzerland with Tracey Gaudry, who has a substantial contribution to make after accepting the appointment of vice-president, and my chief of staff, Martin Gibbs.

We had a staff meeting on Tuesday which was positive. There are some exceptional people working at the UCI and this summer has been difficult for them. Unfortunately, the good work they do has been overshadowed by controversies and unnecessary conflict but I genuinely believe that the decision taken last Friday is the start of a new era for our sport.

My mission now is to unite the global cycling community and enable us to come together to help ensure that our great sport realises its enormous potential. This is the vision that will drive and focus my activities over the next four years.

As I have said throughout my campaign, we must embrace a new style of governance and a collegiate way of working so that we can build more growth and commercial success for the UCI and cycling in the years ahead.

There will be challenges but my focus will be to rebuild, not just the reputation of the UCI, but some of the basic functions you would expect to find at an international sports federation and to repair some of the damage that has been caused to the sport of cycling in recent years.

If we can achieve this then I believe that we can attract new sponsors, broadcasters, funding partners and host cities and ultimately further grow cycling across the world drawing even more riders and fans into the sport.

I have hugely enjoyed writing these blogs as my campaign has progressed. The feedback, good and bad, has always been interesting.

Twitter is fine for comment and asking questions but often the answers require a more thoughtful and measured response over more than 140 characters. So I tried to cover all the issues in my blogs which will remain online and still represent my manifesto and my intentions.

I will continue to use Twitter, although I will obviously need to move on from the @cooksonforuci name. I will be doing this in the next few days. However, there is a lot which must be urgently addressed so I might not be very active in the immediate future.

I strongly believe that right now is the best time to be involved in cycling. There are new opportunities and new markets opening up to the sport all the time - we just need to grasp them.

There is enormous potential in the sport and, I firmly believe, enormous potential within the walls of the UCI. I cannot wait to get started, and make true the promises of my election campaign.

Not much content, except I'm going to be so busy expect some radio silence...

I also note that the UCI still haven't put their accounts up on their website, one week after the meeting.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 10:48 »
    Looks like Brian has written his final blog...

Not much content, except I'm going to be so busy expect some radio silence...

I also note that the UCI still haven't put their accounts up on their website, one week after the meeting.

aye the UCI presidential pay is simple and would do some to feed the masses
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 12:48 »
    I wouldn't expect any transparency from Cookson, it appears BC are not transparent so why expect Cookson to introduce it in Aigle if he didn't in Manchester.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 13:19 »
    Cookson maybe dodgy as pat, but he has made a very good start in 7 days.

2 great t vp's 1 I have no idea about so could be 3

Started cleaning house at the uci

Got rid of 28 year old rule for women's cycling.

We should give credit where it is due

Well at least for 6 months
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 17:00 »
    I anticipate we'll see the easy fixes, like making certain heads roll, pretty quickly.

For the rest, it will take time to put in place but we know the pledges are there. Six months is too short a timeframe. Come back in three years.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 21:24 »
    I anticipate we'll see the easy fixes, like making certain heads roll, pretty quickly.

For the rest, it will take time to put in place but we know the pledges are there. Six months is too short a timeframe. Come back in three years.
    nope 6 months the time frame cookson gave himself for a t&r
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 21:30 »
    Sure about that? Last comment I heard from him was that he wasn't really sure what the purpose of a T&R would be. It might happen, it might not, but the really important changes, the cultural ones won't be within 6 months.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 849
    « Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 22:36 »
    Dug out this great blog article about Floyd Landis' confession, from back in 2010: http://cycle-smart.com/drupal/index.php?q=blog/2010/05/20/pretty-boy-floyd

So burn down Babylon. Burn pro cycling down. There will still be racing, there will still be races. Burn it down, so we can build it up again new. I condemn Landis' original decision to participate in a corrupt, immoral system. But I'll stand in front of the flames with him and watch it burn.

I'll shake his smokey hand the next time I see him.

Those words resonated with me then and occasionally I remember them. Floyd's confession set off a chain of events that brought down Armstrong, and Armstrong's fall opened the door for McQuaid's.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 22:55 »
    Plant in charge of Cyclocross.

I mean.. what.. really.. what..
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 12:22 »
    So Cookson has caught the Jolly Boat to Beijing

http://www.teambelkin.com/media?mediaId=12407406

I would have thought that he would have had more pressing concerns to sort out first.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 12:50 »
    So Cookson has caught the Jolly Boat to Beijing

http://www.teambelkin.com/media?mediaId=12407406

I would have thought that he would have had more pressing concerns to sort out first.

agreed but Tracey is talking to the press

UCI about to instigate pledged anti-doping measures: Gaudry

• ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 12:54 »
    agreed but Tracey is talking to the press

UCI about to instigate pledged anti-doping measures: Gaudry

And the UCI is in the process of dropping the Kimmage case
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15607/Kimmage-confirms-Cookson-is-ending-UCI-legal-action-against-him.aspx

Absolutely, love the quote from Kimmage about the new era...
    Asked now if he believes Cookson represents a step forward, Kimmage is clear. “Absolutely. I don’t want to be flippant about him or be insulting to him, but he can’t be any f**king worse than McQuaid,” he answered. “He can’t be any worse.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15607/Kimmage-confirms-Cookson-is-ending-UCI-legal-action-against-him.aspx#ixzz2hJrSh48E
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 09:37 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52 »
    press release from the UCI

Two weeks after his election as President of the UCI and after his first week working at its headquarters in Aigle, Switzerland, Brian Cookson has given some details of his first days as UCI President.

Speaking during his first foreign engagement in Beijing, the new UCI President said:

“These early days are very important for the UCI. We have embarked on the process of implementing our manifesto commitments so that we can re-establish our International Federation’s reputation and make it the best and most respected in the world. I believe that we have made a good start.

“In Florence, the cycling family clearly demonstrated its desire for change. Not only in voting me as President, but also in electing three excellent Vice-Presidents, including the first woman to occupy this position, as well as a high-quality Management Committee. And we have quickly got down to work.

"We have appointed most of the new Presidents of the UCI Commissions and I’m delighted to welcome them to their posts. (see UCI web site for full details).

“We have started the work of establishing a high level dialogue with WADA to plan how we will proceed with the independent investigation into the UCI’s past. We have also been making contact with other key stakeholders in this area, including USADA, other national anti-doping organisations and the French Sports Ministry. And earlier this week I called Paul Kimmage to tell him that the UCI has withdrawn from the legal action against him.

"We have also confirmed the decision to revoke the age limit of 28 that existed for UCI Women’s Teams and to form a new Commission for women’s cycling to help facilitate the growth of women’s elite racing.

"On the issue of UCI staffing, the day after the World Championships, one of my Vice-Presidents, Tracey Gaudry, and I travelled directly to Aigle to meet with the UCI staff and it was a pleasure to meet the many excellent and talented people at the UCI. However, some changes are needed and I can confirm that former Director General Christophe Hubschmid has left the UCI and that Antonio Rigozzi of Levy Kaufmann-Kohler is now assisting us as external legal counsel. I would like to thank Christophe for his contribution to the UCI and wish him well for the future. I would also like to thank our previous legal counsel Philippe Verbiest for his many years of hard work and commitment to the UCI.

“Over the coming weeks I am looking forward to meeting with my friends and colleagues in the Olympic movement, including the new IOC President, Thomas Bach, and Rio 2016 President, Carlos Nuzman. And last week in Switzerland I met with Andrew Ryan, Executive Director of the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations.

“An extraordinary Management Committee meeting will take place on 29 October where we shall assess our progress in implementing my Manifesto pledges and plan for the important period ahead of us. This meeting will be held at the UCI’s headquarters in order that the staff can meet the new Management Committee.

"It’s been a busy time but very constructive and I am grateful to all the support I have received from the cycling family in setting out on this new path."
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 10:20 »
    That is a terrible Press Release:

1. What is the message that they are trying to get across? We are busy?? Change is a coming???
    2. Why say "see website for details" for Presidents of Commissions without providing a link?
    3. The paragraph on the staffing changes was terribly ordered. Out-in-Out. I wonder if significant payoff's were needed.
    4. "Extraordinary Management Committee" - just to meet the staff? I don't think so. Probably a big change of budget and work programme. Or Cookson needs a few approvals from the whole Management Committee.

PR & Communication has always been a UCI weakness. Needs improving.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 820
    « Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43 »
    Honorary Verbruggen no longer welcome at UCI meetings.

Cookson apparently barring Verbruggen from sitting in on meetings even if the honorary Chairmanship would allow him to. Since the title is bestowed by Congress, he isn't revoking that, but blocking the perks, it seems.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2698/Sport/article/detail/3525481/2013/10/11/Verbruggen-niet-meer-welkom-bij-UCI.dhtml
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 15:25 »

Paul Kimmage (@PaulKimmage) tweeted at 10:17 PM on Thu, Oct 10, 2013:
    He's going to need some time and space to sort the mess he has inherited but I wish him the best.
    (https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/388413113256906752)
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45 »
    3 weeks in and no big announcement.

Tygarts Q&A this morning with cyclingnews is very interesting:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/q-and-a-tygart-on-lance-armstrong-death-threats-and-catching-the-cheats

1. Tygart seems to put a lot of faith in new UCI management team.
    2. Tygart wants T&R to go back to Festina. Personally, I think this is pointless and just going over new ground. Surely, we want to know who continued post-2005?
    3. Tygart can't give any hard evidence that things have improved.
    4. Tygart has the Makarov dossier, but really what can he do about it? He can't sanction the past management at the UCI.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #59 on: October 17, 2013, 11:47 »
    3 weeks in and no big announcement.

Tygarts Q&A this morning with cyclingnews is very interesting:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/q-and-a-tygart-on-lance-armstrong-death-threats-and-catching-the-cheats

1. Tygart seems to put a lot of faith in new UCI management team.
    2. Tygart wants T&R to go back to Festina. Personally, I think this is pointless and just going over new ground. Surely, we want to know who continued post-2005?
    3. Tygart can't give any hard evidence that things have improved.
    4. Tygart has the Makarov dossier, but really what can he do about it? He can't sanction the past management at the UCI.

this seems to be common ground and the good thing is that it will include a lot of current cycling staff so not bad
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.