collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10285
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: UCI Presidency : Cookson, A New Era?
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2013, 17:21 »
And that story is exactly why I'm happy Pat is gone.
If you send an official comment to media, there's no need at all to phrase it in the way Pat has.

I bet you are happy I am not pres then  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5605
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #91 on: October 25, 2013, 17:24 »
    I bet you are happy I am not pres then  ;)
    Quite. :)

It's one thing how you express yourself verbally, everybody swears (I do so all the time, although probably not as much as others). But if you send a message - meaning you sat down and typed it - you had ample time to phrase yourself. To me, using words like bullsh*t in an official statement just shows a lack of care.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #93 on: October 29, 2013, 16:05 »

Press release: UCI Management Committee Agrees Major Changes at Extraordinary Meeting

In its first full meeting since the election of Brian Cookson as UCI President a month ago, the UCI Management Committee met today at an Extraordinary Meeting to discuss and agree a number of important measures aimed at restoring trust in the UCI and laying the foundations for renewed growth in cycling worldwide.

Measures agreed at today’s UCI Management Committee include:
    A full audit of the systems and controls currently employed by the UCI’s anti-doping operations to ensure that they are working efficiently. The audit will also be used as a basis to create a clear roadmap for setting up an independent UCI anti-doping operation in 2014.

The broad principles under which it intends to move forward with the implementation of an Independent Commission which will look into allegations of past wrongdoing at the UCI and the extent and roots of doping in cycling. The objectives of the Independent Commission are in line with the manifesto of Brian Cookson, to re-establish trust in the UCI and restore confidence in the sport of cycling. UCI will continue its discussions with WADA and other stakeholders to finalise the Independent Commission's framework.

The establishment of an International Development Commission to review the wide-ranging work of the UCI in this field including the role of Global Cycling Promotion and the World Cycling Centre. The Commission will report its initial findings and recommendations to the next UCI Management Committee in January 2014.

Supporting the new Women’s Cycling Commission, chaired by UCI Vice President Tracey Gaudry, in its work to appoint members and establish objectives including 2014 recommendations by the end of 2013 on delivering a step change in women’s cycling. Further details on this will be available on the UCI website this week.

The UCI Management Committee also received information on the remuneration in place for the President and the results of the review of that package which was undertaken by the Vice Presidents. In light of this information the meeting agreed, with the full agreement of Brian Cookson, an annual salary of CHF340,000 for the new UCI President [CHF110,000 less than the equivalent remuneration package in place at the time of the Presidential election]. This package to be subject to an annual review by the newly created Remuneration Committee.

Martin Gibbs has been named UCI Director General. See editorial notes for details.

Speaking after the meeting UCI President Brian Cookson said:

“Today’s Management Committee meeting was an important moment for the UCI as we put in place a number of measures to restore trust in the UCI and ensure our great sport is able to move forward. I would like to thank my Management Committee colleagues for the professional and collegiate way they approached today’s meeting and I am encouraged by the strong sense of common purpose. “We have made important decisions on women’s cycling, international development, the establishment of a fully independent anti-doping unit and an independent commission to look into allegations of UCI wrong-doing. We have also started the process of modernising the UCI's constitution.

"There is a huge amount of work to do in the coming months and beyond, but I am excited by the passion and support my colleagues have shown for implementing a real programme of change for the good of cycling.”
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #94 on: October 29, 2013, 16:07 »
    UCI president Brian Cookson publishes salary, audit of UCI’s anti doping operations announced

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15728/UCI-president-Brian-Cookson-publishes-salary-audit-of-UCIs-anti-doping-operations-announced.aspx#ixzz2j7ymeL00

Hats off again Cookson
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #95 on: October 29, 2013, 16:18 »
    UCI president Brian Cookson publishes salary, audit of UCI’s anti doping operations announced

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15728/UCI-president-Brian-Cookson-publishes-salary-audit-of-UCIs-anti-doping-operations-announced.aspx#ixzz2j7ymeL00

Hats off again Cookson
    Very good-ish.

- Cookson revealing salary ... tick ... plus bonus of establishing a proper remuneration committee
    - Plans for independent doping unit ... tick ... with caveat of wanting to see what the "audit" throws up and what the "roadmap" looks like
    - Womens cycling ... tick ... with caveat of waiting to see what they propose, but at least structure setup
    - Plan for investigation ... questionmark ... obviously making progress, but reserve judgement until details agreed with "stakeholders" and published
    - Appointment of new DG ... questionmark ... seems competent, but isn't it a bit like jobs for the boys?
    - Unannounced but obviously Vero have PR role ... cross ... bit naughty. surely such external roles should be tendered?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3181
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #96 on: October 29, 2013, 23:23 »
    its certainly a good start.

we are getting (even at this stage) more than I hoped for, so that is very promising.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #97 on: November 01, 2013, 09:30 »
    No stupid comments yet from the UCI about the Rasmussen book. Improvement?

Surely in the past, McQuaid would have come out with a string of comments about the Rasmussen / Zorzoli / Leinders comments from the 2005 TdF ?

I would just say "The subject of protected riders will be part of the investigation that we are about to kick-off"
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #98 on: November 01, 2013, 10:22 »
    No stupid comments yet from the UCI about the Rasmussen book. Improvement?

Surely in the past, McQuaid would have come out with a string of comments about the Rasmussen / Zorzoli / Leinders comments from the 2005 TdF ?

I would just say "The subject of protected riders will be part of the investigation that we are about to kick-off"

I did say I miss the outraged Pat somewhere, love a good rant.

The UCI does need a message which say we are moving on this we just need x months, we are aware etc etc
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 177
    « Reply #99 on: November 02, 2013, 11:25 »
    I did say I miss the outraged Pat somewhere, love a good rant.

The UCI does need a message which say we are moving on this we just need x months, we are aware etc etc
    We got NotPat !  We got NotPat because nobody else was nominated.

NotPat does not do stuff he doesn't have to. 

Rasmussen's exposures took all of 2.79 seconds to process the response path.

"Ah yes, there it is, the date.  WADA code - 8 years max.  Oct 2013, less 8 years.  I need a calculator .  2013-9, wrong button, where is it ?  Ah there it is -  CE 2013-8 = 2005.  Great, thought as much.  Now where is that report from Kroll telling us that all the hard disks in the UCI were reformatted as a "data wipe" in February.   Pity about that, who'd have thunk it.  An now why is Markov putting in all these plans for Cycling in Russia.  Anyone would think he was running the show.

"I wonder what Markov meant when he said he knew all about Froome and Brad ?  Does he know about Brad's drinking problem or about that motormouth of a girlfriend of Froome and how she keeps on winding everyone up ? 

" A 14 day tour in Southern Russia ?  We just need to move the Vuelta a bit ?  Two years at 14 days and then 21 days ?  Not sure how that would work ?  Tell you what, all that hard work makes me want to sit down and with a coffee and watch the stage to the Ventoux again.   Amazing after all that joking and friendly banter between Froome and Quintana and some of it was so funny, Froome just had to tell Sir David on the radio, after all that, Froome just took off like a scalded cat and left everyone.  Best moment eva.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #100 on: November 02, 2013, 13:08 »
    Here is what Patrice Clerc said a year ago:

"Armstrong is dead, may he rest in peace. But today, the system that enabled this needs to be dismantled. If it’s not taken apart, if we don’t identify what didn’t work, then cycling won’t get out of this. The system in which these practices thrived is still the same. The men are the same: from the rule makers to the financiers of the UCI, the team managers…”

• ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #101 on: November 02, 2013, 13:33 »
    We got NotPat !  We got NotPat because nobody else was nominated

I'm not entirely sure what the implication is behind that statement, but I think the statement itself is not the case.

Cookson won by 6 votes out of 42. We got Not Pat because he stood for election and won...by a whisker.

Remember also that we got Pat previously, because nobody else was nominated.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #102 on: November 03, 2013, 08:48 »
    Here is what Patrice Clerc said a year ago:

"Armstrong is dead, may he rest in peace. But today, the system that enabled this needs to be dismantled. If it’s not taken apart, if we don’t identify what didn’t work, then cycling won’t get out of this. The system in which these practices thrived is still the same. The men are the same: from the rule makers to the financiers of the UCI, the team managers…”

Hmmmm...

The winds of change.

JV squirming a little, huge output on Twitter, not doing the old 'under the bus' manoeuvre, nor the aggressive denial. Let's face it, the Garmin ethos, much vaunted by Vaughters, precludes the former, and the USADA deposition would render the latter a ticking time bomb.

So what to do?  Act as a lightening conductor for Hesjedal, whilst slightly outing him too.

The real marker will be when Riis sees the writing on the wall and decides to get out of cycling whilst he still has some cards to play.

Fingers crossed...

• ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #103 on: November 03, 2013, 12:42 »

The real marker will be when Riis sees the writing on the wall and decides to get out of cycling whilst he still has some cards to play.

:tick
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #104 on: November 03, 2013, 22:59 »
    Zorzoli maybe the key if he can be convinced to turn and confess all.

He is still working at the UCI.

He is mentioned by both:
    - Hamilton in the negative (being threatened in 2004, after being grassed up by Lance)
    - Rasmussen in the positive (being told he was a protected rider in 2006 by Leinders)

I'm sure that there is a lot more to come out...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #106 on: November 26, 2013, 16:19 »
    UCI’s Cookson Rejects Proposal for New Global Cycling Series

+

BSkyB helps bankroll Team Sky, whose riders Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome won the last two Tour de France titles. BSkyB said in a statement it “maintains an open mind about whether there’s an opportunity to extend its relationship with cycling as a broadcast partner.”
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #107 on: November 26, 2013, 16:27 »
    Methinks Bloomberg need a writer who's more versed in cycling.
    There are a couple of half-errors in that article: Sojasun an 'elite team'? McQuaid saying that the breakaway league threatened the Tour of Switzerland (he always spoke of the Tour de Romandie)?
    And DCM will be fed up - they hardly ever get mentioned when people talk about #vacansoleil.

But it's interesting to see what an economics journalist focuses on when reporting cycling.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #108 on: November 27, 2013, 15:58 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #110 on: December 02, 2013, 07:30 »
    Thirdly, Cookson came through on a number of election promises. At the end of October he published the salary he will draw from the UCI (340,000 Swiss Francs [approximately 275,000 euro/$379,000], and 110, 000 Swiss Francs less than he said McQuaid was receiving). He also confirmed an Independent Commission would be formed in consultation with WADA, with the purpose being a full investigation of the UCI, claims of wrongdoing by it and how it tackled doping in the sport.
    It is pretty funny the head of something not too important in the global sceme of being earns 21.000$ less than Obama.

http://www.loonwijzer.nl/home/salaris/vipsalarissen/politici

Encouraging.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1045
    « Reply #111 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33 »
    It is pretty funny the head of something not too important in the global sceme of being earns 21.000$ less than Obama.

Encouraging.
    Never make the mistake of comparing salary of anyone with high profile world leaders'. I don't know off the top of my head exactly what Tony Blair is raking in these days, but it's an eight figure sum annually.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #112 on: December 02, 2013, 09:46 »
    At the end of last year, the SPD's candidate for German chancellor, Peer Steinbrück, made the statement that most directors of a savings bank would earn more than than Angela Merkel at the time - and he was right. Merkel has a salary of ~300.000 € per year (see Claudio's link), many savings bank CEOs get more than that (source).
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #113 on: December 02, 2013, 09:50 »
    Absolutely right.

It's the politicians' base salaries that are anomolous....not Cookson's.  His in inline with what one would expect.

By way of comparison: UK family doctor £100k, high school head £80-100k etc.

World leaders earn little in post....but make millions afterwards.
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 177
    « Reply #114 on: December 02, 2013, 20:30 »
    Never make the mistake of comparing salary of anyone with high profile world leaders'. I don't know off the top of my head exactly what Tony Blair is raking in these days, but it's an eight figure sum annually.
    The police working security for him, paid out of the public purse are doing quite well also.  So we pay once again for Tony to earn his way in the World.  Remember Rushdie.  Slung a few insults around in a contentious book and all of a sudden his security in the cost the country he elected to reside in, a fortune !
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #115 on: December 02, 2013, 21:13 »
    I agree, it is not Cookson's fault he is payed for what he is being payed for.

Go through the UCi balance sheet and you will understand my post before.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #116 on: December 03, 2013, 00:48 »

Encouraging.

The US President gets that figure of money as an official  salary, but bear in mind he doesn't actually have much he can spend it on, since  pretty much everything is on the house for the entirety of his term in office, and loads of sh*t continues to be funded by the taxpayer after he leaves office.

To my knowldge the UCI doesn't provide its President with a big ass white  house  for his term;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #117 on: December 03, 2013, 01:23 »
    It might be close but US Pres probably has more pulling power from corruption.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1045
    « Reply #118 on: December 03, 2013, 11:20 »
    I agree, it is not Cookson's fault he is payed for what he is being payed for.

Go through the UCi balance sheet and you will understand my post before.
    I know. Your one little comment has generated far more comment than it warranted, it's the off-season after all. In my defense, we've got people on strike at my work right now demanding a pay rise on the grounds that the boss is paid more than the Prime Minister. I'm not convinced they've got a valid point.
  • ReplyReply

• LittleMig

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #119 on: December 03, 2013, 21:19 »
    New era? Nah, same story.

There was a Para-Cycling International on the track in Newport, Wales, over the weekend. It was organised by British Cycling and was on the UCI Calendar. Riders competed in national team kit and were sent by their home federations.

However, the absence of proper doping controls at the competition means that world record times will not stand:

http://disabilitysportwales.com/2753
    "Over the weekend youth development riders (under 16yr of age) got the opportunity to compete at the event, and what an impression the Academy riders made. Not only taking Gold and Bronze in the Youth Omnium event, the eventual winner Lauren Booth, only 12yrs old, set a world leading time in the 200m flying start event, but it could not be ratified as an official world record because of the absence of anti-doping administrators at the event. "

You break a world bloody record and it won't stand because the new-look UCI can't ensure proper anti-doping controls at an international track meeting. Think about it.

Cookson's manifesto said:
    "It is also important that we support more international events for Para-cyclists. Athletes thrive on high quality competition but the Para-cycling calendar is presently bare. We need to increase the number of races and raise standards by providing better support and working closer with event organisers."

So where was the support, the review of the anti-doping plans, the guarantee that the job would be done right? I am no more interested in excuses than UK Anti-Doping would be if I didn't show up for a control.

Should he not have walked through the door at the UCI two months ago and made sure there were going to be proper controls wherever people were expecting to race in national kit?

Riders have been badly let down. Discuss.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.