collapse

sublimit

• National Champion
  • Liked: 159
Is there a smell...... :D

Post Merge: October 04, 2013, 16:19
If he was 23 last year it would have been a good year, but that he was 28 meant that it 'didn't wash' with me :lol

Wonder whether future riders will seriously consider a move to Sky, when they think of the likes of EBH 'failings' and now JTL's complaints about the training.

but you thought he was potentially good..  Make your mind up man.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10423
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 703
    • Spring is coming... I hope
      • Fendrien
    Good piece.
    There is no doubt that this has been handled badly by a few people all along the way.

The timing was shocking and leads cynics to view it as part of the electioneering. The PR from the UCI and Sky has been botched and at times appeared made up on the spot. Endura seem to have come out of it ok for me.

Its took the heat off Horner, though.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3287
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Gotta say though - Sky get slammed for "lying" about why they withdrew him from the Worlds  ...  but what exactly would you suggest that they should have done?

Let him ride?
    Tell the world that he got an inquiry?  he is entitled to anonymity ... its a query, not an AAF
    or make an excuse, pull out of the worlds and defend himself?   

I dont really have any issue with him pulling out, making an excuse and working on his defense.  I actually dont think Walsh should have outed him (though he would have been completely slammed if anyone found out that he knew and didnt report ... its his job).

• ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    This Tiernan-Locke thing is excellent news.

Don't lose sight of the big picture.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Any news 're when the " hearing " is ?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Any news 're when the " hearing " is ?

No. He was "given more time". And thus the precise date disappeared into the ether along with all the other facts. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    No. He was "given more time". And thus the precise date disappeared into the ether along with all the other facts. ;)

I thought I read 3 weeks extension , maybe not
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I thought I read 3 weeks extension , maybe not

28 days is the usual UCI norm. That's what Barredo got, iirc.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Bueller ?
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    This isn't going to end transparently is it...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    This isn't going to end transparently is it...

Ofc not, but we should have a press release from the UCI, saying

Nothing to see , move along now.

Followed by Sky saying we trusted JTL and the sky way, and with discussions with the rider and team , we have decided JTL will be better served taking a break from WT level to get over his health issues etc.

Then netapp saying JTL will ride for us next year. With a few smithy quotes saying sky are Dicks  etc

And then JTL wins the vuelta and GdL

Simples.

Seriously though there must be a time and press release know it is public knowledge
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    Last grenade lobbed by Pat, leaked by "I'm-Not-A-Sky-Patsie-I'm-Not!" ?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Via fmk on Twitter.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/CYCLING-Jonathan-Tiernan-Locke-left-limbo-tests/story-20072698-detail/story.html

7 weeks and nothing

Good to know that when you need to follow an ongoing story in cycling, you can at least rely on the Torquay Herald Express.

Srsly though, on a rolling 28-day throw-and-catch system, we probably won't hear anything until a bit later this month.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    Torquay Express gets the scoop again:

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Cycling-star-s-future-clearer-Spanish-training/story-20258681-detail/story.html

- Tiernan-Locke in Majorca
    - submitted excuse two weeks ago
    - been training on Exmoor
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    UCI announce they will start disciplinary action.

JTL passport case and response found wanting
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3208
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Sky presser: http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_9077438,00.html

UCI notice: http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDetails2011.asp?id=OTc3Ng&MenuId=MTYzMDQ&LangId=1&BackLink=%2FTemplates%2FUCI%2FUCI8%2Flayout%2Easp%3FMenuID%3DMTYzMDQ%26LangId%3D1

No-one saying anything... let's see how long the silence is on this one.

Maybe we should start a poll. My money is on a final outcome in June 2014 followed by a CAS hearing in February 2016 and a final final outcome in December 2017. :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    Team Sky have obviously had plenty of time to think about what they would say about JTL (and they have probably had advice from BskyB)

Here it is:
    Team Sky notes that Jonathan Tiernan-Locke has been charged with a violation of the UCI anti-doping rules.

We have been informed that he intends to defend himself against that charge.

Jonathan Tiernan-Locke will not ride for Team Sky or take part in any team activities – including training camps and all team duties – until a decision is made in this disciplinary hearing process.

We understand that the violation was highlighted by an anomaly in his Biological Passport, in a reading taken before he signed for this team.

There are no doubts about his approach or performance in Team Sky. This is a team that trains, races and wins clean.

At this stage, we will add no further detail until this initial disciplinary process is concluded.

Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_9077438,00.html#LpW8DfeBUdpvYHOz.99

A simple description of the status: charged, JTL intends to defend himself, JTL now suspended from all Team Sky activities

An outline of the excuse: before he rode for Team Sky.

The inevitable: no further comment - we are going to stop digging a hole for ourselves.

In my opinion, this is much, much better than previous many previous communications (eg Froome Bilharzia) which were confused and seemed to be changing according to the direction of the wind.

However, what is missing from the PR is:
    - are Team Sky going to provide any support to JTL in his efforts to defend his name? My reading is that the UCI have declared him guilty and it is now over to UKAD to declare the sentence.
    - is JTL still being paid? Once UKAD passes sentence, does JTL's contract have any clauses for financial penalties?
    - have Team Sky tightened up recruitment processes to prevent this happening in the future? (with details)
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    A British rider currently riding for a British team is being disciplined via the British governed UCI

Do not adjust your tinfoil hat

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    The problem is there has been corruption and nepotism throught the history of sports government,  and will be in the future so the concerns and the close working relationships of sponsor, BC and cycling team are something that should be discussed.

but back on topic

from memory BC will get recommendations from the UCI via the blood passport panel, they will make a ruling on lenght of ban.

due suspected blood manipulation I would expect about 2 years.

at this stage JTL and or WADA and or the UCI can take the case to cas.

so with JTL saying I will defend myself if memory serves he has cas only

could be wrong but I am pretty sure BC rubber stampnthe passport commissions ruling without talking to JTL
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    The problem is there has been corruption and nepotism throught the history of sports government, and will be in the future so the concerns and the close working relationships of sponsor, BC and cycling team are something that should be discussed [/b]

Indeed, and those discussions have contained very strong affirmations (not speculations) that:

*Sky are paying off the UCI
    *Cookson is a fraud who will engage in corruption to allow Sky to dope with impunity
    * The biopass doesn't work

I think today's news makes those assertions look a bit silly.

It isn't off-topic, it IS the topic.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    One case and everything is perfect with the system.

As far as I can tell Cookson is doing a great job,  better than he performed with BC, but there will and always be buts as there should be.

Bio passport is not working from where I sit
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    One case and everything is perfect with the system.

Strawman

As far as I can tell Cookson is doing a great job,  better than he performed with BC, but there will and always be buts as there should be.

I agree, there should always be questions and scrutiny, but they have to take account of reality, not fantasy.

What is happenning is evidence that change is afoot. Evidence, not conclusive proof.

Bio passport is not working from where I sit

Depends what it is designed to do, no?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    OK, I think I have the next steps worked out:

1. British Cycling hands case to UKAD who are the sanctioning body. This has been done and confirmed by UKAD
    2. UKAD issue JTL with a "Notice of Charge" (I would imagine this will be quick, before the end of the week?)
    3. JTL either accepts or appeals (he has 10 days)
    4. If accepts then UKAD issue ban (unlikely give agent says JTL plans to appeal)
    5. If appeals then then hearing at UK National Anti-Doping Panel
    6. Hearing with UKAD vs JTL with NADP as judge/sentencer
    7. Verdict issued within 15 days
    8. JTL / UKAD have right of appeal to CAS
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Point 5 is asked shane and he said I think CAS but need to be verified.

So we will have to wait and see if ukad or cas is first appeal
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    This is so funny - every news article on the JTL violation has him in Team Sky outfit except the Times which has him in the Endura kit.

And these paragraphs are very illuminating:
    Tiernan-Locke joined a biological passport programme when he joined Team Sky - which is renowned for its zero-tolerance approach to doping - at the start of this year. His previous team, Endura Racing, were too low-ranked to qualify.

Sky had insisted that the readings in question were taken towards the end of last year, when Tiernan-Locke was still with Endura, but Endura subsequently released a statement saying that the rider was by then already under Sky’s supervision.

I have a sad feeling that we are going to enter into a period of the blame game.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    Point 5 is asked shane and he said I think CAS but need to be verified.

So we will have to wait and see if ukad or cas is first appeal
    The process is very clear in the UK Anti Doping Rules
    http://www.ukad.org.uk/resources/document/uk-anti-doping-rules

That is where I got the process information.
    If Shane doesn't know and is interested in knowing then point him there.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.