• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3861
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Re: The Music Thread / Velorooms Jukebox
    « Reply #4145 on: March 31, 2020, 00:54 »
    This is Criss!

I'm often on the lookout for relaxing piano jazz like this, but seem to be terrible at finding material that I like.

More of this or similar, if you please.  Piano and trumpet, in a similar vein, would be sweet, too. :)
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 111
    « Reply #4146 on: March 31, 2020, 00:54 »
    ...my pleasure dear sir, hope you like the following...

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4147 on: March 31, 2020, 01:22 »
    ...my pleasure dear sir, hope you like the following...

Very...very...nice.

And with no less than master Steve Gadd at the helm.

Cheers, indeed.  :playlist
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4148 on: March 31, 2020, 14:05 »
    "I'm often on the lookout for relaxing piano jazz like this, but seem to be terrible at finding material that I like."

Well....the Sonny Criss catalogue is definitely something to explore ( the album Saturday Morning is one of my faves )...as are outputs of Barry Harris, Criss's go-to piano player, Lucky Thompson, and folks like the following who were in their day written off as lounge jazz ( the absolute kiss of death accusation among the doctrinaire true-believers of "real" jazz ) and buried in most jazz histories /memories ( and hence hard to locate...as you have found.. )....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4149 on: March 31, 2020, 14:07 »
    ....and...

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4150 on: March 31, 2020, 15:04 »
    Well....the Sonny Criss catalogue is definitely something to explore ( the album Saturday Morning is one of my faves )...

Interesting summation. Thanks for that.

FWIW, I've long been a fan of Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert. Love that album.

Although at a quick glance, I couldn't find the original posted on Youtube.
    (Plenty of other's interpretations though.)
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4151 on: March 31, 2020, 18:11 »

Cheers
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:48 by blutto »

blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4152 on: March 31, 2020, 18:13 »

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4153 on: March 31, 2020, 18:18 »

Cheers
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:49 by blutto »

blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4154 on: March 31, 2020, 18:20 »

Cheers
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:50 by blutto »

blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4155 on: March 31, 2020, 18:22 »

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4156 on: April 01, 2020, 03:01 »

Cheers

Just an FYI: Three of these latest five clips are not working. "Video not available"

Nice N' Greasy
    Joe's Blues
    Ike Quebec

Those three links are not working like the others.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4157 on: April 01, 2020, 11:58 »
    "Those three links are not working like the others. "

Sorry about that and thanks for the heads-up....funny they work for me...may be some sort of country specific restriction?...anyways, added another link that should hopefully work ( left the original in as it is the best sounding ...well at least on my system here...truth be known I suffer from audiophilia nervosa so a little nuts about sound quality so always try to find/post a good or better sounding link.)....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4158 on: April 01, 2020, 13:51 »
    Yes, those new links work just fine. As you say, it most likely does have to do with some geo-restrictions on the original ones.

truth be known I suffer from audiophilia nervosa so a little nuts about sound quality so always try to find/post a good or better sounding link.)....

So  I have to ask: Are you, yourself, in possession of a vast vinyl collection?

It's an interesting topic to me. Having grown up on vinyl, it's something that I've really come to miss quite deeply. I'm old enough to remember the arrival of CDs on the scene, and watched in amazement as friends of mine sold off their entire record collections, replacing them with CDs as they became available.

Then slowly over time, as more and more music was only released on compact disc, my collection became one mostly of CDs as well. But I never abandoned my vinyl, even though I never owned that many records to begin with. (Few items are more inconvenient to move from apartment to apartment, house to house.)

As a result, many years had passed where I hadn't listened to any vinyl at all, nor had I even owned a turntable. CDs at home, CDs in the car, etc. But then I started working at a pro audio/DJ shop (which also sold drums and guitars) in the early 2000s. This was an interesting time of transition for DJs, as they were now going through a metamorphosis, of sorts, themselves. As Pioneer and other companies began offering CD players that could "scratch," many DJs were rapidly making the transition to CDs from vinyl, which is entirely understandable when you consider the burden of dragging around boxes and boxes of vinyl to each gig, as opposed to a much more manageable case of CDs.

As a result, they also began selling off their much-coveted Technics-1200 turntables. Most often, they'd be selling them in pairs, and we would typically have three or four sets of these coming and going at any one time. For a set that had been well kept and well maintained, (and they would often included heavy duty road cases) it would only take one or two phone calls to find an eager buyer, and out the door they would go.

But eventually, interest in these legendary tools of the trade waned, as more and more people made the switch to digital. And as MP3s became all the rage, and digital controllers enabled DJs to "scratch" and manipulate their music directly from their laptops, that all but sealed the fate of the iconic vinyl turntable.

It was during this time that we would actually have a surplus of Technics 1200. To this day, I still kick myself for not purchasing one of the cleaner sets that we would see, as the selling prices had plummeted to around $350.00. It actually became difficult to find a buyer for these at all. They simply weren't being used, and were considered too impractical in the real world. So there was a window of perhaps a couple of years where they just collected dust.

Like all-things-collectible though, the tide would eventually shift, and much of it was brought on by the threat of Technics discontinuing the manufacture of the 1200 altogether (if I'm remembering the timeline correctly. At some point they actually did stop making them, only to reintroduce them a few years later). So then we saw the other side of the trend, where the last remaining turntables had been acquired, and the supply from the used market simply dried up. Inevitably, prices on eBay and elsewhere reflected the demand for this now-rarely found item. It's a predictable trend that I've witnessed several times in the world of music retail over the years with a variety of products. And just like that, those once-coveted, once-rejected and cast aside turntables, became nearly impossible to obtain.

To my original point though:
    After not listening to vinyl for many years, I still remember that moment, shortly after I began working at the DJ shop, when I dropped the needle on Joe Jackson's Night and Day, and album I was as all-too familiar with, and had always been quite fond of. The result? I was totally blown away. Everything that had been missing from my listening experience was made instantly apparent to me. The audio experience was just so much more immersive. I felt "in" the music in a way that simply isn't possible in the digital realm. It was not my imagination, nor any sentimental longing for a by-gone era. It was, more than anything else, a startling revelation.

It's difficult to describe to anyone who hasn't experienced the same, and much of that experience is likely tied to the years of growing up on vinyl, but there was simply more "information" available to the ears, along with something else that was bit more profound. It was as if another, unseen, sense had been activated. It wasn't just what I was hearing, it was what I was "feeling" as well, as if being enveloped in a comforting blanket of soothing, sonic security. There was just something else "there."

As one might easily imagine though, as inspiring and enlightening as it may have been, it was also a very sad experience for me. It was a stark awakening to just what I had been missing for so many years. Interestingly, it was something that I had sensed prior, but was never able to fully formulate. There was (and still is) something missing from listening to digital-only music, but until vinyl had been removed from my experience for an extended period of time, and then reintroduced, I hadn't been able to truly understand how dramatic the difference was.

At the risk of turning this into a manifesto (as it already contains far more words than I had originally intended), I do remember in the mid-80s to early 90s when a number of musicians and engineers were speaking out quite vociferously in the objection to the digital takeover of the analogue world. IIRC, it was Neil Young who likened the difference between the two as that of looking through a window (analogue/vinyl) to that that of looking through a screen (digital). All those little bits of 1s and 0s, no matter the total number of fragments, will never quite add up to the seamless whole.

Another useful analogy that a producer once offered me was: Digital is like watching a movie, whereas analogue is like watching real life. That, I think, sums it up rather accurately. No matter the level of the highest quality digital film, it's simply not the same as glancing around the world with one's own two eyes. I can't think of a more apt comparison.

Sorry for the length of all this. I suppose it's been too long since I've expressed these thoughts that clutter that particular section of my brain.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 14:22 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4159 on: April 01, 2020, 14:16 »
    As addendum to the above:

I've more recently observed, with a fair bit of bemusement and amusement, the surprising return of vinyl to the store shelves. Not from the stubborn Used Records shops that can still be found in a few select college towns and hipper sections of the bigger cities, but rather in mainstream outlets like Guitar Center or Barnes & Noble bookshops. Even more amazing to me is the physical growth of these sections of the stores.

What used to be limited to only a few bins of novelty, now consist of multiple rows of vinyl, every bit indicative of the record stores of my youth. It is a trend that, personally, I never anticipated. Of course today's records are easily three to four times the price of what they once were, which is particularly discouraging given that they are largely the exact some titles.

This is another topic that I could easily expand upon at length, but I'll leave it as is, for now.
    :)
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4160 on: April 01, 2020, 17:39 »
    "So  I have to ask: Are you, yourself, in possession of a vast vinyl collection?"

Well....yeah ( he says sheepishly )....about 10,000 albums ( and maybe a couple of thousand CDs )....which 1) sounds like a lot of albums but compared to several friends collections its a nice little collection 2) but what I have is pretty solid ( everything I bought was either researched or heard before-hand, read little or no filler )

And a lot of that collection ( as with the mega collections my friends have ) was acquired during the period when the world went mad as a digital tidal wave forced a wholesale tossing of existing vinyl into the used record shop stream...where we would scoop up the gems for 10 cents on the dollar....read it was dead easy to accumulate great and vast collections....we just gorged ourselves ( like it was a bad day when you left one of the better stocked stores with less than a box full of records, or two.. )....Suddenly the problem we all had was storage and in some cases reinforcing floors to carry the weight load...seriously... )....

"when I dropped the needle on Joe Jackson's Night and Day, an album I was as all-too familiar with, and had always been quite fond of. The result? I was totally blown away. Everything that had been missing from my listening experience was made instantly apparent to me."

Yup...I have a very good digital rig but as with your experience going back to vinyl is just pure bliss....though if you want that feeling turbo-charged try to wrangle an opportunity to listen to a close to the master tape ( and @ 15 ips ) analog recording on a high end reel-to-reel....it is simply amazing....once listened to a one off a safety copy of Thriller on a super-mega-buck system....when Ndugu Chancler started his intro into Beat It the world simply stopped ....I mean I've heard that cut a "billion" times on a lot of great systems but this was fundamentally different...to stretch a famous quote it was an amazingly amazing awesomely awesome moment...gosh I was so lucky to find myself in that spot that day...

And btw if you ever have the opportunity to hear a 30 ips tape on a great system, bring along some Depends...you know, just to be safe.

Cheers

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:35 by blutto »

blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4161 on: April 02, 2020, 01:33 »
    ...switching gears here at bit to honour Wallace Roney who passed away recently....RIP dear sir, you were a monster player....

Cheers

• ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #4162 on: April 02, 2020, 01:37 »

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Classics Winner