collapse

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 841
  • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
Also Imo WSM should definitely be honored at the olympics in some way. Its entertaining to watch, the crowds like it, the tv viewers would like it, the competitors would be honored whats not to like.

And since the olympics honor the fastest men in the world, they should also honor the strongest. In fact strength has always been far more important than speed. Speed has never really mattered. And when it has its been the speed of the horses more  than of the humans.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    We have weightlifting which perfectly represent strongest athletes around.
    I just do not need some technicaly mediocracy 200kg fat and 2m15cm tall dudes throwing 250kg truck tires around :fp

About your comment speed vs strength :fp you did never been in gym during winter seeing sprinters and runners, are not you?
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    Weightlifting tests a group of muscles it does not test overall strength.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    Weightlifting tests a group of muscles it does not test overall strength.
    Yes it does not test stumbling around stage with 560kg concrete bell :fp

Dude, weightlifting fire all muscles group you can imagine (and those you never heard or think of it), it is not body building that you can isolate some silly muscle to impress girls (or men) at summer.
    You push and you pull, just as that.
    If you can show us what muscles groups are not engaged while weightlifting I will be awake all night.
    Meanwhile I must rest.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    Nope, sport is about humans and humans only. Horses ain't people, horse racing ain't sport.

Polo?
    Jumps?
    Dressage?
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Martin318is

• Domestique
    There is a bit of fuzziness in this conversation really.  Personally, I think there is a difference between what is a sport and what should be an Olympic sport.

Personally, I think that anything that relies on subjective assessment doesn't belong at the Olympics.  Gymnastics is an exception because it has been there so long that the point deductions for misses are clear cut and consistent.  Syncronised swimming was the beginning of the end for me.  rythmic gymnastics with points for 'interpretation' are a joke.  Figure skating used to be a clearly judged event (skate a perfect figure 8 for instance) but now it is just dancing on ice..  At least the original freestyle skiing is basically dead.  Dancing on snow for points?  Bah!

Beach volleyball is a great sport with hard working athletes and attracts spectators at beaches, etc.  However, how did it get to the Olympics given its rules?  Rules such as definining the size of the tiny bikini bottoms the women have to wear?  Really, there is a rule that says what the maximum length of the sides is, etc.  So even if a female player wanted to wear something more modest, she can't.  Is that still a sport or is that a cynical grab for ratings?

How is a sport like that taking a medal that could go to cycling Individual Pursuit?

Lingerie Football League is another example - whilst a lot of the players are still learning, they ARE learning fast and there are some good players becoming known.  The game itself is quick and pretty entertaining.  BUT they all have to dress like their stripper costume is 'Slutty NFL player'

Actually, I just had a thought.  Given what the criteria are for sports now.  How about a professional paintball league?  Imagine the tension in playing Paintball for Australia!
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    In the true traditions of running off at the mouth then finding out you are out of date:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/olympics-2012/lets-get-political--new-womens-uniforms-aim-to-cut-perve-factor-20120328-1vys2.html

thought that when reading your post.  :)
    I notice they only release that when all the tickets have been sold.  :o
    Was there not some outcry because lots of civil servants seemed to have tickets for beach volleyball
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Thast what sparked this whole thread Martin  ;D

we were discussing in the chat box as ram linked to that ... and we were discussing whether or not beach volleyball was a real sport or should be included in the olympics
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    Interesting actually given the other conversation about the various chat boxes and the impact on posting.

When I am here I am too busy posting in the 'real' threads and have never used the shoutbox....  perhaps I should?  LOL
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    perhaps the difference is Martin - you actually have something worthwhile to say   ;D

seriously though - that chatbox is good.  lots of interesting conversations
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    perhaps the difference is Martin - you actually have something worthwhile to say   ;D

seriously though - that chatbox is good.  lots of interesting conversations

t'would be but the work of a moment to demonstrate beyond legal contention that that suggestion is ridiculous!
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    New law here, 1,5 mil euros per year for 338 athletes in 29 olympic sports.

It means that olympic gold is worth cca 1200e, silver 900e, bronze cca 800e, worlds medals worth little bit less. European champions are not here. :(

Athlete must be 45 years old, and has to be tax payer, no Monaco (no tennis players then)
    At lest some gold olympics here like Pešalov (weightlifter) would not live on the street after they retire.
    But there is no money for coaches, doctors, etc.
    It is still moral dilemma for ex NBA players who won Olympic silver and loaded with money, I think many of them would donate for charity.

One more interesting thing and it must be fixed, Sanja Jovanović world and european record holder on 50m backstroke will not receive that money for gold when retire!!! 50m backstroke is not olympic distance. She has silver at 100m at worlds though.

Also, Iva Majoli Roland Garros 1997 winner no money for her at all.
    Emil Milihram tons of medals but kanu open water downhill is not olympic sport, but slalom is.
    Many more athletes are left behind. But it seems that law are going to be upgrade soon, per example some sports where not olympic.

Also in some sports are more difficult to won gold at european than at olympic or world, like handball, or water polo

It is nightmare, which sport is better?

What about Davis Cup winners? Tennis players are loaded with money but Davis cup is Davis cup.

edit: this money prices are per month after 45 years old, and only if athlete want it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:23 by Anthony Moan »

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    And drama continues, deputy minister Petar Skansi (silver at Barcelona as a coach) is under attack of Paralympic committee cos by his proposal paralympic worlds and olympic medals worth half as regular.

Lot of arguing, if you ask me he is right. Those games are not related anyhow.
  • ReplyReply

•