collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
New Feature - Shop/Credits
« on: March 28, 2012, 19:21 »
In the process of adding a new feature to the site.

PLEASE NOTE THIS FEATURE IS STILL UNFINISHED - THere are some things left to do like removing the Send money to member, view inventory tags from the members avatar display etc.

Basically a shop system where you get credits for posting, creating threads etc.

These credits can then be used in the "shop" to buy things like for instance

Username change - 500 credits - being able to change username by default is now turned off, so you can change your username every 70 posts or so. (something several members had requested)

Along with various other things that may or may not be added as time goes on.

Again - this is currently a test feature that has some things left to be changed and may or may not become a permenant feature
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    Re: New Feature - Shop/Credits
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 22:58 »
    Buy all the rocks!
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 23:01 »
    Basically its a way of restricting users changing their names all the time, they need to have made a certain amount of posts to do it which solves one of the problems that has been around since we started.

As for the rest, im working on it.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 23:31 »
    Have you been spending already Dim?  When I first opened this thread 10mins ago you had $4516 and now you only have $389!

Did you buy the Thermo-nuclear Gattling Cannon?
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 23:36 »
    well krebs stole over $1000 off me, and the rest i used to test various additions including throwing eggs at myself.

Basically, ive been puzzling for amonth about how to allow users to change their display name, but restricting how often they can change it. There was no easy solution. and this is the closest ive got to something like that.

It just has a whole bunch of silliness involved in it.
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 23:38 »
    tripelmew with the Dutch Oven? My kind of girl!  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3478
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 00:26 »
    great idea Dim.

This is going to be fun    ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 929
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 04:11 »
    Quote from: Admin link=topic=447.msg15540#msg15540 d O0ate=1332974182
    well krebs stole over $1000 off me, and the rest i used to test various additions including throwing eggs at myself.

Basically, ive been puzzling for amonth about how to allow users to change their display name, but restricting how often they can change it. There was no easy solution. and this is the closest ive got to something like that.

Krabkakes is Robin Hood, I just received 12 forum quid  O0
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 04:22 »
    This is going to add a whole new level of weirdness to interactions around here.  Love it!  (although it may distract me from actually posting!)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10792
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09 »
    An issue with the system - tony is very worried

is that it appears you can change others peoples names is that Correct ?- I do not think this should be allowed imo
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 144
    • Vale Craig1985
    « Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:38 »
    Are there any hidden emoticons left? Perhaps we could buy novel emoticons?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53 »
    Are there any hidden emoticons left? Perhaps we could buy novel emoticons?

don´t know what you are talking about

:rasmussen
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57 »
    An issue with the system - tony is very worried

is that it appears you can change others peoples names is that Correct ?- I do not think this should be allowed imo

no, i explained to tony several times that you cannot change peoples display names.

One of the defaults of the shop is to be able to change peoples titles, this is the text that appears below their display names. But that is very expensive, and changing it back is very very cheap, and that item will be turned off presently anyway.

But i did tell him several times when he asked, that there will be no way to change peoples display names, or usernames. he had it iin his head that he wouldnt be able to log in if his name changed.

That will not and cannot happen.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15 »
    Thanks Dim

he was worried this morning before his run
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18 »
    i told him several times yesterday, and then went to the shop settings and changed the descriptions to make it more clear.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 786
    « Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21 »
    LOL. So you are encouraging me to write longer posts Dim?  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 11:54 »
    Christ, I said that my head hurt....it will have to stop doing that before I can understand what's going on...I got really confused when krebs managed to steal some of these virtual bucks from Dim.... ???
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:56 »
    Christ, I said that my head hurt....it will have to stop doing that before I can understand what's going on...I got really confused when krebs managed to steal some of these virtual bucks from Dim.... ???

that too confused me, and caused me to rapidly put my money in the bank in case he was a pickpocket
    then realised it is best to not try and understand anything Krebs does too closely....
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 12:19 »
    Krebs seems to be just stealing peoples money, spending it all on rocks, and then trying to sell them on at a ridiculous profit. :S
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 12:22 »
    Krebs seems to be just stealing peoples money, spending it all on rocks, and then trying to sell them on at a ridiculous profit. :S

I have a feeling Krebs might be confused why he bought all those rocks when he comes on

probably think - must have been a bigger night than I though and go smash out some chaos
  • ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 17:15 »
    I think it will be a fun addition.  Something that adds a bit of uniqueness to the site.  Might actually get me to de-lurk more often
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 22:14 »
    what if i post like this?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TEC_APPLE_LABOR_REPORT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

By PETER SVENSSON
    AP Technology Writer

AP Photo
    Technology Video

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Chinese workers who often spend more than 60 hours per week assembling iPhones and iPads will have their overtime curbed and their hourly wages raised after a labor auditor hired by Apple Inc. inspected their factories.

The Washington-based Fair Labor Association says Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., the Taiwanese company that runs the factories, is committing to reducing weekly work time to the legal Chinese maximum of 49 hours.

That limit is routinely ignored in factories throughout China. Auret van Heerden, the CEO of the FLA, said Hon Hai is the first company to commit to following the legal standard.

Apple's and FLA's own guidelines call for work weeks of 60 hours or less.

The FLA found that many workers at the Hon Hai factories want to work even more overtime, so they can make more money. Hon Hai, also known as Foxconn, told the FLA that it will raise hourly salaries to compensate workers for the reduced hours.

Heerden said that it's common to find workers in developing countries looking for more overtime, rather than less.

"They're often single, they're young, and there's not much to do, so frankly they'd just rather work and save," he said.

The FLA auditors visited three Foxconn complexes in February and March: Guanlan and Longhua near the coastal manufacturing hub of Shenzhen, and Chengdu in the inland province of Sichuan. They employ a total of 178,000 workers, with an average age of 23.

Average monthly salaries at the factories ranged from $360 to $455. Foxconn recently raised salaries by up to 25 percent in the second major salary hike in less than two years.

Foxconn employs 1.2 million workers in China to assemble products not just for Apple, but for Microsoft Corp., Hewlett-Packard Co. and other pillars of the U.S. technology industry.

Foxconn's move to lift wages is likely to have an impact across the industry. Given Apple's unusually high margins, it's able to absorb higher manufacturing costs. But other electronics companies, particularly PC makers, have very slim margins, and may need to look elsewhere to have their products assembled.

Workers who make Apple products have been the subject of increasing scrutiny, in part due to a one-man Broadway play by Mike Daisey. Public radio program "This American Life" used Daisey's monologue in a show about Foxconn on Jan. 6, but retracted it two weeks ago, saying that Daisey had fabricated key parts of it, including that he saw underage workers emerging from Foxconn factories.

The FLA didn't find instances of child or forced labor.

Apple has kept a close watch on its suppliers for years, and in January took the further step of joining the FLA. The organization has audited overseas suppliers for clothing manufacturers, but Apple was the first electronics company to join. It also commissioned the FLA to produce a special audit of Foxconn's factories.

"Our team has been working for years to educate workers, improve conditions and make Apple's supply chain a model for the industry, which is why we asked the FLA to conduct these audits," Apple said in a statement.

Apple CEO Tim Cook visited a Foxconn factory in Zhengzhou, China, on Wednesday.

The FLA has its roots in a 1996 meeting of multinational companies and nonprofits convened by President Clinton, who challenged them to improve conditions for garment and shoe workers. Its 19-member board is composed equally of representatives from member companies, universities and nonprofits like the Global Fairness Initiative. The organization is funded by participating companies.

Labor unions have criticized Apple's use of the FLA, insisting that audits are a "top-down" approach. Foxconn's workers would be better served, they believe, by being able to organize.

"The report will include new promises by Apple that stand to be just as empty as the ones made over the past 5 years," said SumOfUS.org, a coalition of trade unions and consumer groups, ahead of the release of the report.

The FLA found few safety violations, noting that the company had already dealt with problems like blocked fire exits and defective protective gear. It's also taken step to reduce the amount of aluminum dust in the air, after the metal created an explosion at the Chengdu factory last year, killing four workers.

The FLA said Foxconn has been recording only accidents that caused work stoppage, but is now committing to recording and addressing all accidents that result in an injury.

Heerden said his auditors found Foxconn workers are the happiest with their jobs when they work 52 hours a week, well below the amount they often put in. Reducing their hours to 49 hours should help Foxconn retain workers in the long run, he said.

The auditors examined one years' worth of payroll and time records at each factory, conducted interviews with some workers and had 35,000 of them fill out anonymous surveys.

Apple has started tracking the working hours of half a million workers in its supply chain, and said that 89 percent of them worked 60 hours or less in February, even though the company was ramping up production of the new iPad. Workers averaged 48 hours per week.

The Foxconn factories are the last step in the process of manufacturing an iPhone or other Apple device, most of which have hundreds of components. Research firm IHS iSuppli estimates that Apple pays $8 for the assembly of a 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S and $188 for its components. It sells the phone wholesale for about $600 to phone companies, which then subsidize it
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 23:47 »
    world tour teams will be going on sale flanders afternoon
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 08:08 »

Sounds like he belongs in Wall St.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 10:19 »
    I still don't get this feature.

And you can steal others money?

• ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40 »
    I think we need a 'robber' smiley  ::)
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 929
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 11:56 »
    We have a ninja :ninja
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 14:50 »
    all of the world tour teams are now available for purchase. prices will fluctuate based on success.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12 »

but I was fortunate enough to get a test egg!  ;D

I kinda like the way it looks  :P :-*
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 01:14 »
    tripelmew with the Dutch Oven? My kind of girl!  ;D

Like this!  :) :-* ;D
  • ReplyReply