collapse

Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 86
A New Build.
« on: October 11, 2013, 22:01 »
As I am Billy no mates when it comes to cycling, I don't have anyone to share stuff with really  :'( So I thought I would share with the forum members, as I will be asking for advice as I go through the decision making process and the build itself.

So here is what I have collected so far. It isn't the first frame from this manufacturer that I own, but it is the first one that is a monocoque. It is the SL version. I know what finishing kit I want to put on it, one thing I really can't make up my mind about is the group set. I don't know whether to kit it out with a full group set or to go fancy with cranks and brakes etc.

Anyway, I wanted some people to accompany me on the build, so I am dragging you all along  :D

• ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    Re: A New Build.
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 22:08 »
    Verrrr nice!

Are you going down the electronic route for transmission? With regards to group set or not, I think you'll be wanting top-end won't you.

Personally, I'd go Dura-Ace 11. You can't go wrong with Shimano, whereas you can go wrong with Campag these days (and you've no idea just how much it pains me to say that). Obviously SRAM is out of the question as it sucks arse.

• ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Vespertine

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 22:15 »
    Verrrr nice!

Are you going down the electronic route for transmission? With regards to group set or not, I think you'll be wanting top-end won't you.

Personally, I'd go Dura-Ace 11. You can't go wrong with Shimano, whereas you can go wrong with Campag these days (and you've no idea just how much it pains me to say that). Obviously SRAM is out of the question as it sucks arse.

You know, that is my VERY choice for a full group set, I am not into the electronics really, I do have them on another bike, but I simply don't find it any better, just an unnecessary overhead.

Thanks for saying that it is coming together well. Yes, totally agreed, Dura-Ace 11 it will probably be, maybe with some different cranks, but then again maybe not.

Cheers Joachim!
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 22:50 »
    The only issue I can think of with the DA11 cranks is that at the moment you are tied into replacing worn chain rings with exactly the same ones, and they are eye-wateringly expensive.  With aftermarket cranks you might have a tiny weeny incompatibility with regards to the ramping on the chain rings (or lack of). It'll work, but will it be as smooth?....you'll never know for sure and that nagging doubt will eat away at you  :D

With you on electronic. It solves an issue I'm not sure I have, but it adds a few more of its own....I have seen several riders stranded through failure. Also if it does fail, you've a harder job to diagnose that with cabled. They aren't yet fully waterproof either, despite what the manufacturers say.

I don't know what the DA11 brakes are like, not used them and in fact my DA is pretty long in the tooth. They are powerful but don't modulate quite as nicely as my Records. Probably not the case with the new stuff.

Don't think I didn't notice the DT hub either  ;) Smooth as butter.

Enjoy  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 325
    « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 20:30 »
    Heya... sorry to be late to the discussion (as usual...  :cheesy) but thought I'd share with you... Just last week I built up a custom build at the bike-shop I work at (Yes... they occasionally let me in the workshop... the fools!) and have found no problem whatsoever running DA 9000 Di2 with Rotor 3D cranks etc... smooth changing, and looks EPIC! The guy that owns the bike (Cervelo P5) has now decided he needs POWER... and has ordered a Quark Riken... I'm going to offer him £50 for his 'used' Rotor 3D's!!! Haha!
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 15:46 »
    Vespertine dude you are loaded with money :D
    Tony turns Sram Force carbon GXP crankset which I am going to test hard, but so far it is really smooth and nice, bought second hand for 70 euros and it is nice with Campagnolo :D
    As for Campagnolo it is really way out of my league now coz money, incredible expensive here, so my bike is now mix of Campy, Shimano, KMC chain and Sram  :D
    Here Sram is exotic as finding job, something on MTB but very very few on road bikes, old guys are Campagnolo die hard, younger ones just Shimano, it has something to do with tradition and other things.
    Esa I was offering some guy 60 euros for almost new Dura Ace cranks, of course he laugh hard :D

• ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Recent Posts