collapse

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 989
  • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
Re: Football
« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2012, 16:45 »
What's the score Amster? :win
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #331 on: March 17, 2012, 16:52 »
    Fark, it was bound to happen. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #332 on: March 17, 2012, 18:36 »
    BREAKING NEWS

Tottenham's FA Cup tie with Bolton has been abandoned
    1831:

ESPN's reporter in the White Hart Lane tunnel says Fabrice Muamba was not breathing when the Bolton midfielder was carried past him. Medical staff were still attempting to resuscitate him and a defibillator had been used.

:( :'(

Hammers played 1-1
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #333 on: March 17, 2012, 18:54 »
    Apparently no contact, just collapsed on the pitch. Hope he recovers.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #334 on: March 18, 2012, 15:19 »
    FEYENOOOOORD OLÉ!
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #335 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37 »
    This is bizzare torino defenders pass the ball around and juve stabia just watching them lol

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/video/calcio/serie_b/torino/2012/03/18-41864/Guardate+la+curiosa+e+prolungata+melina+del+Torino
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #336 on: March 19, 2012, 09:40 »
    Something good from belgian football
    !
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11233
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #337 on: March 19, 2012, 09:44 »

I don´t like football at all
    But any reports as to why all these fit young men well trained keep having heart attacks

rhetorical question

but just wondering if any journos have had the balls to ask 
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #338 on: March 19, 2012, 12:44 »
    Because all of them are dropping like flies? How many cases can you quote and over a peroid of how many years + leagues?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #339 on: March 19, 2012, 12:59 »
    Because all of them are dropping like flies? How many cases can you quote and over a peroid of how many years + leagues?

I can´t but I was watching Swedish sports news last night and they spent a full section between ad breaks going through heart attacks and football players I recon there was 6 - 8 but I was only half watching

If this was a cyclist .....

with the amount of money spent on these guys predisposed heart conditions wold be discovered very early.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #340 on: March 19, 2012, 14:58 »
    I can´t but I was watching Swedish sports news last night and they spent a full section between ad breaks going through heart attacks and football players I recon there was 6 - 8 but I was only half watching

If this was a cyclist .....

with the amount of money spent on these guys predisposed heart conditions wold be discovered very early.

I am not a doctor or expert, so some of the following may not be 100% accurate, though to the best of my knowledge, it is.

I believe that there have been four heart-related deaths of football players over the last 10-12 years or so. When you consider how many pro footballers are playing all over the world you can conclude that 'dropping like flies' is a major exaggeration! All player's hearts are tested and checked when they first sign pro contracts, but it seems that not all heart irregularities can be identified with the checks that clubs do.

I understand that some congenital irregularities can remain hidden until the moment that they strike. Others are discovered (Kanu) and dealt with. Some appear out of the blue, like Muamba and Marc-Vivien Foe.

I read today that Muamba's doctor says that the heart will not be an issue (i.e they can fix what they now know is wrong) but that they will only know what brain damage he may have suffered once they awaken him from the artifical coma he has been kept in since Saturday. We should know more today or tomorrow. Fingers crossed that brain damage will be minimal. :(
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #341 on: March 19, 2012, 17:01 »
    antonio puerta, dani jarque, miki fehrer, marc-vivien foe off the top of my head, there must be others

manu petit had a brother who died of a heart attack while playing football, clive clarke survived.

i don't think it's a ridiculous number given how many pro footballers there are, but still surprising that these guys are monitored very closely and not diagnosed. just saying more investment in it is probably worthwhile.

there's probably no better place to have a heart attack than on field at a top flight European football match, it will be noticed and treated almost immediately.

fingers crossed for Muamba
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #342 on: March 19, 2012, 17:11 »
    Well there was an Indian domestic player who died after being knocked out by a goalkeeper. Forget his name, happened around half a dozen years ago.

The goalkeeper was miserable for a few months after that incident, poor fellow.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #343 on: March 19, 2012, 17:49 »
    UK papers/BBC etc all citing various cardiologists saying it is most likely Hypertrophic Cardiomyopothy - nope, never heard of it either.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/9152133/Fabrice-Muamba-may-have-collapsed-because-of-a-tragic-accident-says-a-leading-cardiologist.html

After a bit of googling, it's what was also cited as the main or most likely cause of Foe's death a few years back, so it's got previous as it were.  What I found most staggering from reading the papers this morning, was that the screening process for this sort of thing is at best, minimal.  Compared to Italy, where all top level sportsmen and women have to have an annual checkup and get a certificate declaring a clean Bill of Health, no one at Bolton (his club)/the FA has been able to say if or when he had a check up that might have raised some concern.  For a sport such as football that requires such high levels of aerobic fitness, it's the sort of thing that I would expect clubs to have as part of their standard medical process, especially given the amount of money that there is in the game.
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #344 on: March 19, 2012, 17:58 »
    The dropping like flies was Tuarts not me

But well tested by clubs
    Fit young guys the % would still be high with the general population.

heart attacks generally occur  from genetic issues, direct trauma,  stress etc etc.

Stress can be exercise ofc but ...... there imo a massive Tom Simpson elephant in the room
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #345 on: March 19, 2012, 18:32 »
    Stress can be exercise ofc but ...... there imo a massive Tom Simpson elephant in the room

Well yes, there is that...
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #346 on: March 19, 2012, 20:41 »
    Guys, give me a break. There is not the slightest suggestion or suspicion that he was dabbling in naughty things - fair enough, it wouldn't be public knowledge if it was the case, but still. I think that sometimes certain members of the cycling fraternity are, how shall I put this nicely, a little over-zealous in their suspicions about other sports being as 'dirty' as cycling. ::)

Let's worry about him not recovering before we worry about how he may have gotten there.

"Fabrice Muamba remains in intensive care at The London Chest Hospital, where today he is showing small signs of improvement," read the joint statement from Bolton, Barts and the London NHS Trust.

"His heart is now beating without the help of medication and he is also moving his arms and his legs.

"However, his long-term prognosis will remain unclear for some time.

"He is still critically ill and will continue to be closely monitored and treated by staff in The London Chest Hospital's intensive care unit."
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #347 on: March 20, 2012, 05:41 »
    I used the dropping like flies comment because of what you were insinuating jsg. I don't think for one second that Football is a clean sport but to say *all* considering it really is only a few unlucky people out of thousands having heart attacks and discerning that they are *all* attributed to doping, is in my opinion, far-fetched and as Amster says, a viewpoint more to do with peoples feelings about cycling being the scapegoat and other sports being relatively unscathed.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #348 on: March 20, 2012, 22:35 »
    It seems like I've been inching towards 500 posts and a status change forever now, without getting much closer. ???

Just noticed that tuart has the same no. of posts ::)

Uh, yes, football.....congrats to Dave after S'ton's win tonight while we yet again managed to not win a game we were really supposed to win. Perhaps Archie was at the game and will post some more depressing stuff. The Hammers basically did not deserve to win - again. :(
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #349 on: March 20, 2012, 22:43 »
    Leo Messi scored another hattrick tonight, his 16th or 17th (I forget) for the club. Incredible! 8)

He also tonight became Barca's alltime top scorer with the second of his three. He's only 24. ::)  :tu  :win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nwO9rjq9ahg#!
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #350 on: March 20, 2012, 23:35 »
    To answer BYOP's question -

I'm an American, I've lived here for 23 years now, so I've been supporting Ajax as my local team since 1989.

As a young student in London, I was taken to a football game in 1968. As it happened, I was taken to Upton Park (although it's really The Boleyn Ground) where I saw Moore, Hurst and Peters on the pitch right in front of me. Since I had seen them win the WC in 66, I was pretty impressed. I also liked the ground and the atmosphere, and had absolutely no fornicating idea that I would never, ever, see this team win a championship. ???

I have , however, seen them win two FA cups, so that's something. So there you have it, I became a Hammer in 1968 by accident. It's been in the blood for a long time.

I've been 'following' Barca since Cruijff's time, late 80's early 90's. In recent years, I've been fortunate enough to see almost all Barca games from my living room, and have thoroughly enjoyed watching the best football that's ever been played, with the best player to ever grace the game. :win

edit - typo
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 23:52 by Amsterhammer »

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #351 on: March 23, 2012, 20:22 »
    Lionel Messi on 33million a year.  :o

For a guy of 24 years of age earning that much and adored by so many he really does take it all in his stride and showing no signs of an ego.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #352 on: March 25, 2012, 02:03 »
    Another win for saints and another draw for the hammers. 9 points between them now with 7 games left. glimmer of hope.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #353 on: March 25, 2012, 07:10 »
    Big match now in the a league as well. Newcastle v Sydney to decide the final place in the play offs.

Sydney 3 - 1 up at half time
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #354 on: March 25, 2012, 07:42 »
    Big match now in the a league as well. Newcastle v Sydney to decide the final place in the play offs.

Sydney 3 - 1 up at half time

i will join you.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #355 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57 »
    3-2 ..not a bad game...jets 2nd goal..lovely ball by ali abash.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #356 on: March 25, 2012, 10:21 »
    Ended up missing the end as thought sydney had it and needed to squeeze a ride in

glad that sydney made the finals but would be very surprised if they progress any further
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #357 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29 »
    Dammit Chavski won, although hopefully they'll take their foot of the gas in the league.

Both teams were very disappointing. Benfica never remotely approached the form they've shown to get this far. Chavski will be suitably embarrassed by Barca in the semi. ;)

Much more importantly though, the Hammers took the three points they had to take at Posh and are now back in control of their own fate with a nice 10 point gap to fourth place. A win at home against Reading on Saturday will take us two points clear of them into second with a superior GD. S'ton and Reading still have to play one another. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #358 on: March 28, 2012, 01:36 »
    A League finals this week , great to see Victory having a shocker year. Can't see anyone but Brisbane or the Mariners winning it . I don't have much hope for Sydney
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #359 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47 »
    If only West Ham, hadn't drawn so many games at home, they'd be a few points ahead of the others. Is the home form a concern for you AH?

You bet it is. This season is a bizarre reversal of what we have come to expect. Tonight's away win equals the record 11 wins in a season that the club has only achieved twice in the last 50 years, so one more will  set a new record. A feature of these away wins has been our stupendous and vocal away support. Tonight's crowd at Posh was 13k+, of whom 5k were Hammers! 8)

The atmosphere at home games on the other hand, has been awful all season, in large part down to the way Fat Sam likes to play, and the fact that he keeps starting with one up front, a 4-5-1 that he insists is really  a 4-3-3. Any one of us who can tell the difference between Fat Sam and a stick of gum know that this is bull. We have not remotely scored the goals we should have done in all those home draws, considering how many 'strikers' we have on the books.

If this team goes up, it will require massive reinforcements to avoid an immediate drop down again. But for now, at least till Saturday, we're optimistic. ;)
  • ReplyReply

•