collapse

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2504
Re: Football
« Reply #1470 on: March 24, 2014, 21:29 »
Fourth place and very good prospects in the FA Cup, I think most Arsenal fans would have signed on for that at the start of the year.

They've had bad luck with injuries to Oxlade, Walcott, Ramsey and now Wilshere, especially Walcott and Ramsey would have given them a few extra points in some important games. But yes, I can't understand why they didn't sign an extra striker either.

This summer could be important for Arsenal as well as Liverpool. If they can hang on to crucial players (Suarez mostly) and buy some extra players for depth and strengthening weak spots (defense for Liverpool, strike force for Arsenal) then next year they're going to make it really tough for the big money clubs of Man City and Chelsea.
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #1471 on: March 25, 2014, 11:20 »
    I kind of agree.... but where injuries are concerned its the same old players.

Rosicky
    Walcott
    Wilshere
    Ramsey
    Diaby

...you can almost set your watch by them getting injured and that is either the fault of the club or the players.

If the players are too frail, replace them. Simple.

I just fear it will be another summer of hype in the papers until our membership cards are renewed (£55 just gives you the chance to try and buy a ticket) before signing no one or a single panic buy.

Yeah I would have taken fourth before the season started, absolutely.

But I can't help thinking what might have been with a bit more investment.

To me £35 risk on Higuain was worth taking. If you want Suarez, properly bid for him. Not go £1 over the supposed release clause.

Everything seems so skinflintish for a supposed world footballing power.

#rantover (again)   :)
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #1472 on: April 20, 2014, 19:36 »
    WHAT A LOVELY LOVELY NIGHT.

PEC. ZWOLLE. HOLY. sh*t. D :D :D: D:D: D: D:D: D:D :D :win :win :win :win :daotec
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1473 on: April 22, 2014, 08:51 »
    https://twitter.com/manutd/status/458508081039962112

Moyes officially out. Comedy finally over for all that dislike Utd? :P
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1078
    « Reply #1474 on: April 22, 2014, 20:45 »
    https://twitter.com/manutd/status/458508081039962112

Moyes officially out. Comedy finally over for all that dislike Utd? :P

I think the comedy might just be starting. No champions league football next season so might be hard to sign the players they need. Massive loss of revenue from not being in the champions league. Here's hoping it all goes a bit Leeds Utd.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #1475 on: April 22, 2014, 23:54 »
    If United have money available it shouldn't be all too bad. They have a good enough attack that they shouldn't languish too much either unless RVP leaves... :-x

But it all depends on the next manager, he won't be British.. but who will he be?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1476 on: April 22, 2014, 23:56 »
    Van Gaal would be hilarious.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1477 on: April 23, 2014, 00:02 »
    Van Gaal would be hilarious.
    It will probably be him, at the moment he is way ahead in terms of betting odds.
    It is unlikely they will go after anyone without a top pedigree and therefore unless they can steal one of Ancelotti, Simeone, Blanc etc away from their respective clubs my bet is on either Klopp on Van Gaal and most likely Van Gaal.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1478 on: April 23, 2014, 00:18 »
    Klopp seems to be very loyal to Dortmund and I don't think he will make the switch, but would be the best option for United by a margin. I hope it'll be Van Gaal though. I don't care much about United either way, but Van Gaal managing them would be almost as funny as them failing under Moyes. Would love to see him handling Rooney..

Really don't get the Simeone talk to be honest; switch from a potential Spanish champion and CL semi-finalist at least to a washed up United? Nevermind Ancelotti, who is currently managing a team that has all those things and is also historically and financially bigger than United. Typical of United to think these people would just walk away from those teams to manage in Manchester.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13142
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1479 on: June 01, 2014, 22:49 »
    Tim Wiese, former goal keeper of the german national squad, found a new hobby

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1480 on: June 06, 2014, 11:11 »
    20 000 fans cheering for Hammarby which about what Nya Söderstadion can take not counting away crowd. The volume takes off @ ~1:15

We are playing in the second division and have better attendance than teams in the first division in Sweden.

• ReplyReply
  • "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    « Reply #1481 on: June 18, 2014, 08:35 »
    Australia will win
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    « Reply #1482 on: June 23, 2014, 06:48 »

Colombian fans :D

How was he allowed into the stadium with that get-up
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2969
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #1483 on: June 28, 2014, 19:27 »
    Chile have just brought on Jose Rojas as a sub.  Surely thay are now destined to finish 4th, which means they must win this game.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1484 on: August 04, 2014, 15:29 »
    PL: Chelsea and Man City have the best players on paper, and both have brilliant new coaches. On paper, one of them should win. Man United's challenge will depend on whether they add more players; with last years' squad they wouldn't make it. If they add a midfielder to partner Carrick - not Fellaini - they could just pull it off again. But there is a lot of instability, with a new manager and the Rooney thing. Spurs will be fine, even if they sell Bale. With Paulinho and Soldado they have two great new additions to their team, which was already quite solid. Arsenal make the obvious top 5 complete. Behind them the two teams from Liverpool will be challenged by Swansea, who I think could improve even further after two already pretty great years. Bony is a great player; those who have never watched him play in the Dutch league will be in for a surprise.

For the top 5, I'll go with this:
    1. Man City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Man Utd
    4. Spurs
    5. Arsenal

These were my predictions for last year, almost exactly a year ago. At least I got the leader right, which is something. Chelsea 3rd instead of 2nd, close enough. But ManUand Liverpool.. I'd never have expected them to be 7th and 2nd respectively.

On the bright side, I did warn you Bony would be great. And I was right about Fellaini being the wrong choice for ManU, but to be fair a blind horse could have seen that one coming from miles away.

For the CL, I get the feeling it may just be Madrid who will win it. I can't see Bayern repeating, and don't really believe in Barcelona either for this year.

:win

And the all-important Eredivisie: PSV, wow.. What a change they've made, from the least likeable team in recent memory to one that is a lot of fun for all the good reasons. Feyenoord hasn't lost any major players yet and could continue to grow, while Ajax are always up there, but PSV should be able to win this year with the team they've got. As for Vitesse, another 4th place should be well within reach, but more than that seems unlikely.

Well, let's just forget about these...

But on the bright side, I'm not the only one who made some predictions that not came to be ;)

Gotta agree with SR there on the PL top five.
    With a bottom three of Stoke, Palarse & Hull..
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1485 on: August 04, 2014, 15:48 »
    As for next season.. Premier League is tough to call: five teams with a chance of winning. City were the best last year, but didn't add a lot of spectacular signings. Still a great team though, definite shoe-in for a CL spot.

Chelsea signed some big names, but am I alone in expecting that Costa will be another flop? Fabregas is quality though; him and Matic will form a great partnership. Expecting mostly the same as last year: solid yet unspectacular, defending well and attacking well enough to beat most smaller teams: they will do well but not win.

Liverpool could really go either way. Losing Suarez is a big blow, but they've signed some good players in return and there may be more to come. It will be a very tough year for them though, I can't see them finish in the top-4.

Arsenal have improved significantly with especially Sanchez as a dangerous signing. If they stay relatively injury-free they can win this, but with Arsenal that is a big if. Still need something in defensive midfield though, can't rely on Arteta / Flamini again.

And United, well, they've made the best signing of them all: Dutch national hero Louis van Gaal! :win New system, and from what Ive heard already a completely different team. With no European pressure on I'm expecting them to do well, probably even win if they make one or two big signings.

Tottenham will be much better than last year and run Arsenal close for 4th, but don't think they have the quality of the first four.

1. Manchester United
    2. Manchester City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal
    5. Tottenham
    6. Liverpool

The CL: Not going to be Real Madrid, no one ever repeats. Barca no way, too much change going on this year. Bayern will be in the final but lose it I think. And the English teams to get knocked out early again, except perhaps for Chelsea. If I have to guess on which team will win, PSG. Mostly process of elimination though.

Netherlands.. Well, going to stick with last year's prediction: PSV to win. Ajax second, Twente third, Vitesse fourth. Feyenoord is doomed, I fear. Sorry Havetts ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1486 on: August 04, 2014, 16:13 »
    Yep.. Feyenoord is screwed.

1) Fred Rutte
    2) Sold all of the best players
    3) No proper wingers
    4) The reserve striker of Excelsior isnt going to replace Pelle, sorry Te Vrede.. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 463
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #1487 on: August 04, 2014, 17:31 »

But on the bright side, I'm not the only one who made some predictions that not came to be ;)
    [/quote]

Slow I have only give you a "like" so I can "unlike" you later ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1488 on: August 29, 2014, 00:39 »
    So many crazy, conflicting, amazing feelings during todays game of Feyenoord against Zorya Luhansk. Where we got on a 3-0 lead after playing 1-1 in the away game. Nothing seemingly goes wrong and we almost score 4-0. And then within 24 minutes Zorya score 3 goals. I was so extremely mad, frustrated, filled with disbelief that this happened once again to Feyenoord. Amateuristic defending, poor effort, just completely terrible.

And then... Supersubstitute Elvis Manu (the King :lol) makes a crazy dribble in the 92nd minute to score the 4-3 and I screamed so loud that I scared my mom in the kitchen. My dad and I were jumping, we were screaming, laughing, cant say a tear wasnt shed. The stadium was going crazy, my friends in the stadium even called, screaming, celebrating, whatsapp messages were sent, tweets were sent.

That feeling was so unexpected, I already gave up, was so angry and then that happened. For context, Feyenoord hasnt played in Europe for 5 years after getting close so many times.

#MANUTELLI

And at the end of the day...

When I see you Feyenoord, I go out of my head. I just can't get enough.
    All the things you do to me, and all the things you've said; I just can't get enough
    We slip and slide as we fall in love. And I just can't seem to get enough love.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1489 on: August 30, 2014, 13:15 »
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qlfIiX6I4TU?t=1m11s

The sound of pure happiness, excitement and relief in the Feyenoord stadium :win
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1490 on: August 31, 2014, 22:53 »
    Pfft, Havetts, still want Bosz at Feyenoord? I'd happily bring him over. He started well enough, but it has been hopeless since last winter break. And his stubbornness at playing a centreback as fullback and a midfielder as a striker, while sticking with the two hopeless characters Kashia and Van der Heijden in defence... Getting tired of his weird decisions all the time. And 1 point out of 4 games with no wins in months is unacceptable.

In better news, I saw Liverpool destroy Tottenham today and I really like how they are looking right now. Just as exciting as they were with Suarez - Sterling is amazing, taking over the Suarez role leading the defence - but looking a bit more stable defensively.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1491 on: August 31, 2014, 23:26 »
    Sterling & Suarez are quality players right there, as good as any of these foreign imports ;)

Weird times as a United supporter. For most it is a kind of a nightmare where you try to stop caring and pretend everything is a joke. But then when we go out and splash so much money, I can't help but feel that we will do better and then we do not.. In all reality 4 our new signings have yet to play competitively for us but nevertheless our offensive players against Burnley should have swept away the opposition.

Di Maria needs to play on the wings where he can use his pace to hasten our attacks which have been stagnant since the Fergie days. Our team actually isn't half bad if we have a fully fit defence but we do still need another class centre back and central midfielder. In other news for all my mockery of Danny Welbeck I don't want him to go, he is still a good player who can do things when in form. Meanwhile, best of wishes to Kagawa and Chicarito but I won't be missing them too much..

Against my better judgement I am loving watching Chelsea this season, their new signings (Costa and Fabregas essentially) are a delight to watch and they just look the perfect team. Their 6-3 against Everton was bagloads of fun.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #1492 on: September 01, 2014, 00:55 »
    It would be highly amusing if after back-to-back relegations end up back-to-back promotions. :D

Still far too early though, will drift, and hopefully stay top 10 by season end. All hail King Kenny!
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8129
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #1493 on: September 08, 2014, 11:33 »
    Stone the crows! A Northern Irish victory last night! The first win away from home for four long years.

I think we are fifth seeds in the group, but it doesn't look that bad and with this silly new qualification system who knows what may happen. Finland, Romania, Hungary and Greece are all better than us, but not massively so. It wouldn't surprise me if we beat any of them at home, but it wouldn't surpise me either if we lost/drew to the Faroes. A good start anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1494 on: November 13, 2014, 10:35 »
    So glad that the FIFA has concluded that the assignment of the world cups in Russia and Qatar hasnt been corrupt and has been according to all procedures.

As we say in the Netherlands: "Wij van WC-eend..."
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 463
    • Awards: Quintuple Official Prediction Game Champ (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)2019 Giro CQ Game winner
    « Reply #1495 on: November 13, 2014, 10:47 »
    So glad that the FIFA has concluded that the assignment of the world cups in Russia and Qatar hasnt been corrupt and has been according to all procedures.

As we say in the Netherlands: "Wij van WC-eend..."

Wonder how big the bribe was to come to that conclusion.
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #1496 on: November 13, 2014, 13:30 »
    Michael Garcia seems to have come out and said that the current statements do not reflect his report

http://deadspin.com/fifa-investigator-blasts-report-based-on-his-own-invest-1658279291

obviously the whole process was corrupt, lots of people have committed serious crimes in lots of different jurisdictions and most are unlikely to ever even be charged.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 14:13 by lancasterke »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13142
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1497 on: November 27, 2014, 15:49 »

experienced that live last year when he scored versus Dortmund...it really is incredible how loud they manage to get in that old sh*thole of a stadium
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1498 on: January 16, 2015, 11:31 »

Finally found a video of the moment and it still doesnt do the sound justice when we were standing in the stadium there. Holy crap it was so loud! Standing there with around 40.000 people singing it from all teh sides of the stadium, gives such a crazy powerful feeling. :)
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 896
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #1499 on: January 16, 2015, 12:29 »
    Can't find any videos of this which really do it justice, but 52,000+ fans singing in unison every Saturday  :D

• ReplyReply

•