collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3363
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Lou Reed 1942 - 2013
« on: October 27, 2013, 18:34 »
Not often im totally gutted by the death of a musician. People pass, their music stays, but Lou Reed was a huge influence on me.

I lost two very good friends, in a short period of time, and his album "Magic & Loss" where he talks about the death of two friends got me through some really tough times. I actually got into Lou Reed before I ever listened to the Velvets. His New York album was one of the first albums that really blew me away, the way he painted a portrait of the seedy side of New York, in words and music was just incredible.

Magic & Loss
"Theres a little bit of magic in everything, then some loss to even it out"

Dirty Boulevard
"Give me your hungry, youre tired, youre poor, Ill pee on em, thats what the statue of bigotry says. Your poor huddled masses, lets club 'em to death, and dump them out on the boulevard"

And an oldie. Venus in Furs

RIP LOU
  • ReplyReply

• esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 319
    Re: Lou Reed 1942 - 2013
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 19:14 »
    Sorry for the swearing, but: flipflipflip! Didn't see that coming... he was a massive influence on my 'wayward years' but also as a younger man and in fact I had VU on my warm-up tape at the 88 Olympics... sad day.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    Re: Lou Reed 1942 - 2013
    « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 19:20 »
    Never was a big fan myself, but grateful to him for producing the awesome track that went so well with this...

• ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup