collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 10692
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: BMC news
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2015, 13:31 »
https://twitter.com/DHCyclisme/status/610786352339267584

due to an injured ankle from the crash in the Fleche Wallonne, Gilbert will not ride the Tour  :S
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6707
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3805
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #182 on: June 16, 2015, 14:05 »
    right

he is good enough to win 2 stages at the Giro ... and ride the Tour de Suisse currently - but cant manage to start the Tour as he is injured   :S :S :S
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #183 on: June 16, 2015, 14:40 »
    apparently he only feels the pain off the bike - but I guess it's still the right decision to take a break then and try to recover

(gt)

The Liegeois dropped Tuesday to Tour of Switzerland, because of pain in the right leg, which follows from his fall at the Fleche Wallonne. "An MRI showed a micro fracture in the head of the tibia," confirms his BMC team doctor Max Testa. "It's not a pesky fracture in his career. Philippe did not complain elsewhere on the bike. But he suffered when he had to go up or down stairs. He also complained of discomfort in the knee. So we decided to look more seriously there. "

This is the official end of a long series: Gilbert will not go to the Tour de France. "We want to align our top riders alongside Tejay Van Garderen and Phil is not on top," says Jim Ochowicz, the general manager of BMC training. For the former world champion, it's a disappointment. "I was obviously motivated for the Tour de France because it happens in Belgium, including the arrival at the Mur de Huy," he explains. "But the Tour is held annually. It's not as if I missed the Olympics. I could still go to the Tour despite my problem, but I would not be at 100% and above, this would be the risk of finishing the completely emptied. But I still have goals this season, as the World Championship or the Tour of Lombardy. "

He does not want to mortgage. Selecting BMC for the Tour de France will fall after the Tour of Switzerland.

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/cyclisme/pas-de-tour-de-france-pour-philippe-gilbert-5580165535709bdfaa7b8dc9#.VYAcZssUVv8.twitter
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1437
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #184 on: June 16, 2015, 15:13 »
    Basically they are going all out for TJ after the Dauphine. GvA is also due to have a new baby arriving so it will be interesting to see if he goes too.

I hope Caruso doesn't go, I'd rather he went to Austria and did well there than go to France and be a mountain domestique.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #185 on: June 16, 2015, 15:48 »
    Basically they are going all out for TJ after the Dauphine.

who is that supposed to be though? They don't have any climbers but Samu, apart from the guys who already did the Giro. Alessandro de Marchi seems to have disappeared somewhere
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10900
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #186 on: June 16, 2015, 17:40 »
    who is that supposed to be though? They don't have any climbers but Samu, apart from the guys who already did the Giro. Alessandro de Marchi seems to have disappeared somewhere

My guess Dennis , Hermans , Samu would be the BMC type climbers 1

GVA , Burghy , Quinn and Big Micky as engines get through the 1st 9 days

TJVG and then from the Giro Moinard

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 ie a BMC climber is a rider who can climb but in any other team would be a Rouleur
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #187 on: June 17, 2015, 00:53 »
    while I think the 'injury' rubbish is just an excuse ... I can see some reasons why they would not take Phil.

reason why its just an excuse - a 95% fit Phil is way better than a 100% fit Hermans or Moinard

reason why not take him - they are looking for support for TJ and the odd rider to go in a break, and Phil doesnt exactly have a history of playing well with others.   He can disrupt the team, especially when they are riding for someone else.

overall I dont agree with it. I think he is their best chance of a stage win, and TJ has no chance of a podium - will be fighting for a top 10 place basically.    But they have worked pretty hard over the last 2 or 3 years to find a team balance ... and he has to either fit in with that, or go somewhere else
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1158
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #188 on: June 17, 2015, 04:50 »
    while I think the 'injury' rubbish is just an excuse ... I can see some reasons why they would not take Phil.

reason why its just an excuse - a 95% fit Phil is way better than a 100% fit Hermans or Moinard

reason why not take him - they are looking for support for TJ and the odd rider to go in a break, and Phil doesnt exactly have a history of playing well with others.   He can disrupt the team, especially when they are riding for someone else.

overall I dont agree with it. I think he is their best chance of a stage win, and TJ has no chance of a podium - will be fighting for a top 10 place basically.    But they have worked pretty hard over the last 2 or 3 years to find a team balance ... and he has to either fit in with that, or go somewhere else

Concur. I will add that imo, Och seems a mini-tyrant of a manager. And not an Attila, nor a Genghis, but more like a Mussolini, or a Bush.  I do not care for him. Also, TJ, imo, has less chance of winning a GT than Ryder. Good rider, shure. just short of GT top five.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #189 on: June 17, 2015, 06:35 »
    I have to disagree with all of you.
    TJ is a very, very solid, reliable and consistent rider ... for a totally anonymous placing between 5th and 10th overall. :P
    Never worse, but never better.

I don't even remember which place he got last year (nor do I care). But I do remember Gallopin's stage wins & #yellow. Going all-in for a GC leader is something you can do if he has a shot at the podium at least, preferably the win. If he's a top-10 rider, give him 2-3 domestiques and bring along a good sprinter and/or a couple of stage hunters.
    #bmc BMC supporting TJ like they do is nice, for him, but ultimately not the best way to use the available resources. Of course, that is something BMC have a lot of experience in ... :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #190 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04 »

plus it gives Phil a much better shot at worlds
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #191 on: June 17, 2015, 08:41 »
    I have to disagree with all of you.
    TJ is a very, very solid, reliable and consistent rider ... for a totally anonymous placing between 5th and 10th overall. :P
    Never worse, but never better.

I don't even remember which place he got last year (nor do I care). But I do remember Gallopin's stage wins & #yellow. Going all-in for a GC leader is something you can do if he has a shot at the podium at least, preferably the win. If he's a top-10 rider, give him 2-3 domestiques and bring along a good sprinter and/or a couple of stage hunters.
    #bmc BMC supporting TJ like they do is nice, for him, but ultimately not the best way to use the available resources. Of course, that is something BMC have a lot of experience in ... :D

we are pretty much all in agreemeent with this then Lukas  :P

Dont get me wrong - TJ may well develop into a top class GT rider (eg Nibbles) ... but he isnt there yet.  and wont be this Tour. 

They should definitely take Phil

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6451
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #192 on: June 17, 2015, 09:21 »
    Van Garderen is as much the product of anglophone hype, popular with the US market, as a likely winner of anything over a week long. He would do well to stoke that popularity whenever his contract is up for negotiation because he does not look like hitting a GT podium any time soon, although certainly in years to come when a few guys wane and retire.

Whether he can win one depends on whether Quintana, Aru, etc utterly eclipse him as the years go by but it is hard to say how much more he can improve. For now though, he is boxed in by Froome and Contador. TT is probably his strongest suit against those younger guys but the BMC brand ties him to the Tour when he might be able to win a fairly depopulated Vuelta.

But back to Gilbert. One has to hope the injury really is the cause of his being dropped from the Tour - he wasn't allowed to continue in Suisse yesterday - but the guy finished a Giro and won two stages, so the risk of PR BS is very high on this one, especially because in theory he also now stands to miss a Belgian Nats that would suit him quite well.

BMC's probable Tour team will now look a little more like a publicity demographic than an outfit likely to win stuff. Could they not have let him ride through the first ten days or so and then pull him out in the mountains? Is the team really so desperate for climbing doms?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1437
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #195 on: August 03, 2015, 01:22 »
    statement from BMC re the GVA moto crash at San Sebastian

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-en/experience/the-feedzone/statement_san_sebastian_motorbike_crash/

BMC Racing Team President/General Manager Jim Ochowicz has issued a statement following Saturday's crash by a "radio tour" motorbike that took down Greg Van Avermaet while he was leading Clasica San Sebastian.

"Greg was robbed and the BMC Racing Team was robbed when this happened. I am appalled that this could occur in a WorldTour race.

"This is the second time this year we have had an incident with a local organizer of a WorldTour race where they have acted in a scandalous fashion. The UCI has been nowhere in this to resolve the problem. This comes back to safety issues in races where the local organizer of WorldTour events and the UCI are negligent in providing a safe racing environment.

"This was not a sporting incident. This was caused by pure negligence, which cost the team millions of dollars in lost publicity. Therefore, we plan to explore every legal option available to us."

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #196 on: August 03, 2015, 09:24 »
    'Millions of dollars in lost publicity'?

Come on, Och. Don't be holier than thou.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #197 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58 »
    yeah I have to admit I had more than a quiet chuckle when I read about the "millions of dollars of lost advertising"   :fp
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #198 on: August 24, 2015, 12:37 »
    There was a stat on twitter @cafeRoubiax I think

9 wins in 9 days plus a few more podiums, quiet the end of season

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #199 on: August 24, 2015, 12:43 »
    There was a stat on twitter @cafeRoubiax I think

9 wins in 9 days plus a few more podiums, quiet the end of season

Yeah, I'll pay attention when they win a few more races that actually matter... ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #202 on: February 18, 2016, 10:12 »
    interesting headline I might have gone with less winning the tour but racing for the win type of thing
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #205 on: March 01, 2016, 15:22 »

Taylor Phinney: “I’m stronger than I was before”

The Phinney mythmaking machine rumbles on. Perhaps it's just me but these frequent and lavish interviews seem a bit much. Now he's fit again, it's time to justify all that media hype by getting some results.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2160
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #206 on: March 01, 2016, 15:41 »
    The Phinney mythmaking machine rumbles on. Perhaps it's just me but these frequent and lavish interviews seem a bit much.
    Good lord. I haven't read Velonews in so long, and that article is exactly why. Myopic as always, U.S.-centric to a fault. Nothing seems to have changed in their approach.

I couldn't get through all of it though. Maybe I'll revisit it later. But the fawning over LeMond while taking digs at both Lance and George—all in the same breath? Jeez, where was this bold and brave publication 10 years ago?

Oh, that's right. They were doing exactly the same thing, but with the names reversed.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #207 on: March 01, 2016, 16:18 »
    The Phinney mythmaking machine rumbles on.
    You'll all be quiet when Taylor has lifted a cobblestone in 5-6 weeks' time. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #208 on: March 01, 2016, 16:20 »
    You'll all be quiet when Taylor has lifted a cobblestone in 5-6 weeks' time. ;)

Maybe in 2 or 3 years time that much damage will take years to come back from
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #209 on: March 01, 2016, 16:29 »
    Maybe in 2 or 3 years time that much damage will take years to come back from
    You're probably right.
    We can be happy he's alive and well and back on the bike. What he can achieve on the bike, time will tell.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: BMC news by al_pacino
    [July 16, 2018, 21:54]

Re: How The Race Was Won Cosmo Catalano by Drummer Boy
    [July 16, 2018, 17:25]

Re: BMC news by Drummer Boy
    [July 16, 2018, 17:20]

Re: BMC news by search
    [July 16, 2018, 16:09]

Re: BMC news by Carlo Algatrensig