collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5910
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: BMC news
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 07:50 »
It will be interesting to see how #bmc perform this season, that much is sure.
In other sports, like football, the coach/manager gets sacked if the team doesn't perform. So far, that hasn't extended to cycling, although a DS would obviously have a big influence on the team's tactics.

BMC's strategy until now has been to buy big riders, cross their fingers and hope for the best. Now they have a very good DS as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10801
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #61 on: February 13, 2014, 07:53 »
    It will be interesting to see how #bmc perform this season, that much is sure.
    In other sports, like football, the coach/manager gets sacked if the team doesn't perform. So far, that hasn't extended to cycling, although a DS would obviously have a big influence on the team's tactics.

BMC's strategy until now has been to buy big riders, cross their fingers and hope for the best. Now they have a very good DS as well.

Not true 100% re Evans they did very well at the Giro 2010 and tdf 2011 but yep
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #62 on: February 13, 2014, 09:11 »
    I think I should admit something :fp

I am a Peiper Fanboy - the ds Peiper odd thing really

Under new management: Allan Peiper, on righting the BMC ship (Part 1)
    That picture! :D

When did Gonzo leave the muppets? :P

• ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #63 on: February 13, 2014, 14:03 »
    Thought this was funny. Fine Swiss watches, German Sports cars, and a classic Guiness stout; Phinney's got a style all his own.

http://www.supercompressor.com/gear/taylor-phinney-s-favorite-things-the-5-essentials-the-cyclist-can-t-live-without
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 09:05 »
    Wow - those two interviews with Peiper were magic.

What I learnt:

- BMC have totally changed and embraced the "Sky methodology" fully leaving behind the sickly Brailsford management speak

- It is pretty obvious that some riders will make the transition and others won't. Early season indicators seem to show Evans and Phinney have adapted. Gilbert has made the right noises without the races. But Thor seems to be in two minds. Who knows about Teejay?

- Teams are taking the overall lead in the WT much more seriously and this could develop into a really important ranking in future years.

What I am pondering:

- What is the role of Och in this new setup?

- When other old school teams will make the switch?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 09:10 »
    Jono mentioned on twitter read between the lines they do not think TJVG will do much this year.

1 thing I noticed GVA was not mentioned at all, which is sad as he held the spring together for BMC last year.

not really sure it is the sky approach seems more the HTC approach ;)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3480
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 09:16 »
    I actually think its a good way to go.  With so many leaders, they need to clearly define who gets what and what is expected of them in the races they are designated for.   If for example Phil doesnt step up for the Ardennes, then he will be in pretty deep doo-doo.  Not letting him say 'I want to be co-leader for RVV' as well is good sense when they have so many others who can do a lot there too.

Getting Cadel to accept the Giro and let go of the Tour was a pretty major win for Peiper.   And a good one.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 09:24 »

1 thing I noticed GVA was not mentioned at all, which is sad as he held the spring together for BMC last year.

Bear in mind the audience was Aussies...

I suspect GVA will be the cobbles guy (with support from Phinney and Thor)

They all will have goals, even the late acquisition Sami Sanchez seemed pretty clear about his.

And the effort that Pinotti made with Atapuma says it probably extends to the back office as well.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 13:59 »
    The most successful World Tour team, Movistar I think made that transition a while back. Dowsett spoke of how Movistar isn't as intense as Sky, but the professionalism in the team seems to be as good as any and they focus greatly on scientific advancement.

I wrote a while back about the shocking conduct of the BMC team, not that their team behave poorly, rather that they their training is all over the place and barely structured. So it is about time they get on the train.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 14:30 »
    Wow - those two interviews with Peiper were magic.

What I learnt:

- BMC have totally changed and embraced the "Sky methodology" fully leaving behind the sickly Brailsford management speak

- It is pretty obvious that some riders will make the transition and others won't. Early season indicators seem to show Evans and Phinney have adapted. Gilbert has made the right noises without the races. But Thor seems to be in two minds. Who knows about Teejay?

- Teams are taking the overall lead in the WT much more seriously and this could develop into a really important ranking in future years.

What I am pondering:

- What is the role of Och in this new setup?

- When other old school teams will make the switch?

Just wanted to say that I love these little 'what I learnt' overviews you often post after an interview. Really convenient to get the main points of the article/video without having to read/watch it :)

I am very interested to see what GVA will do this year. He has had a few very solid seasons, but not too many big wins. Can he still develop into a true contender for the monuments, or will he remain an outsider? I still think he might be better off at a team where he can lead at whatever one-day race he wants to target. Especially because he seems to have genuine talent for both cobbles and hills.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 09:07 »
    For me, possibly the most encouraging thing that he said here was this:

Quote from: Allan Peiper
    Don’t make us wait till August to start to discuss whether you want to stay on because it won’t happen. Get the score on the board, show us you’re a value to the team early.

I was amazed in the last couple of seasons how BMC, with all its investment and roster quality, never seemed to start pulling results until the best part of the season was over. For several years, it really has been the Pedro Delgado of team performances, turning up late to the start house.

It will be exciting to see this team, for which I don't confess a lot of love myself, perform this Spring under the tutelage of a guy I always thought would make a great team boss even during his racing career.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #72 on: February 17, 2014, 18:44 »
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #73 on: February 18, 2014, 03:04 »
    It will be exciting to see this team, for which I don't confess a lot of love myself, perform this Spring under the tutelage of a guy I always thought would make a great team boss even during his racing career.
    Don't forget that Peiper had a strong input as a DS back in his HTC days and was behind the wheel for a lot of the squad's success. I'd love to see how he goes as a senior DS as he was supposedly very popular at HTC and as we all know, they had no trouble working for the team as a whole.

Other guys I'd love to see as a senior DS are Scott Sunderland (again), Stuart O'Grady and Phil Anderson, all of whom where first class road captains during their careers, especially Sunderland, who played a major part in a few of his team mates Classics wins such as Tschmil's P-R.
  • ReplyReply

• August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #74 on: February 18, 2014, 14:52 »
    https://twitter.com/CyclingUptodate/status/435482377062600704

This kid could be something

Agree, I think he could do very well. Gotten some very good results that show his talent, but seems to be flying more under the radar compared to other young talents like say Ewan or the Yates for example. Which can translate into less pressure being put on him to get those big results right away. I think there's a good chance he could surprise this season, why I picked him on my CQ team.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #75 on: February 18, 2014, 14:57 »
    Agree, I think he could do very well. Gotten some very good results that show his talent, but seems to be flying more under the radar compared to other young talents like say Ewan or the Yates for example. Which can translate into less pressure being put on him to get those big results right away. I think there's a good chance he could surprise this season, why I picked him on my CQ team.

next year or so I think he is on my emerging riders team
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #76 on: February 20, 2014, 07:56 »
    Fan Fav ok well mine at least gets Pez´d

Greg Van Avermaet Gets PEZ’d!
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #77 on: February 20, 2014, 13:40 »
    Fan Fav ok well mine at least gets Pez´d

Greg Van Avermaet Gets PEZ’d!

and so does Stevo Cummings (pre and post Tour Med)

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=120044#.UwYC9PnlZ8F

- talks about differences between BMC & Sky and new scientific approach this year which suits him;
    - him not really liking the track and using it as a stepping stone to the road
    - the future season (basically he want to do the TdF)
    - living in Italy being better than Liverpool  :omg
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #78 on: February 20, 2014, 13:43 »
    and so does Stevo Cummings (pre and post Tour Med)

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=120044#.UwYC9PnlZ8F

- talks about differences between BMC & Sky and new scientific approach this year which suits him;
    - him not really liking the track and using it as a stepping stone to the road
    - the future season (basically he want to do the TdF)
    - living in Italy being better than Liverpool  :omg

Cummings is part of team TJVG with Phinney, El Puma so should be ok re the TDF
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #79 on: February 20, 2014, 13:49 »
    Cummings is part of team TJVG with Phinney, El Puma so should be ok re the TDF
    I though that as well, but I guess it is not "politically correct" to say "I've got my TdF place nailed on as long as I am healthy"
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #80 on: February 20, 2014, 15:39 »
    Van Garderen joins the club:

Van Garderen relaxed before decisive Oman mountain stages

- Oman isn't as intense as European racing and possibly why high profile riders like to start their season with it, to gently acclimatise themselves to top tier cycling.

- It is a nice comparison against other high profile GC contenders, psychological boosts.

- Sad that even a well bankrolled team such as BMC have to focus so much on WT Points. Indeed Tejay will be missing out on defending his California title.  Primarily that seems to be part of BMC's, Peiper's new regime and it certainly seems like the logical decision. Peaking for California just doesn't make sense as it is too early and you would have to carry that peak all the way over to the end of July.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #81 on: February 21, 2014, 16:23 »

“I want to be thought of as a leader that elevates the people around me. I’ve worked with a couple of riders who were maybe a little insecure in their leadership. If someone else was riding strong they’d actually want to push them down and make sure they kept their leadership spot,” van Garderen told Cycle Sport in November.

Cope that Cuddles ;)
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/news/53000/BMC's-heir-apparent:-Tejay-van-Garderen

cycling cental continues the #bmc theme
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #82 on: February 22, 2014, 10:31 »
    First picture of Samu on the BMC bus

https://twitter.com/cadelofficial/status/437169854370443266

Notice, the presence of a personalised little white bag  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #84 on: February 26, 2014, 15:30 »
    Gets grilled about the magical year of 2011 would be nice...but won't happen. I will take this anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3480
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #85 on: February 27, 2014, 01:47 »
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9127
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #86 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34 »
    Echoes will surely like that interview :D

PEZ: Are you on the long list for the Tour?
    Philippe: I hope not, I hope not. I’ll give my place to another.

PEZ: The second stage to Sheffield could be good for you?
    Philippe: I can watch it on TV also.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #87 on: February 27, 2014, 17:07 »
    Good for him, the merry go round of the Tour isn't the place for him to be at the moment, with all the heaps of expectation and good to see he knows it as well. Hopefully this will be the start of a more idealistic Phil.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 934
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #89 on: February 28, 2014, 03:00 »
    "In search of brilliance, and Flanders"

Good to see they separated brilliance and Flanders... Doesn't compute as a single entity
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:37]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:32]

Re: [2.HC] Colorado Classic by hiero
    [August 19, 2017, 17:18]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by t-72
    [August 19, 2017, 14:00]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by LukasCPH