collapse

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1285
Planet X Flanders Cyclocross
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:53 »
My old hybrid has got one more winter in it: BB needs replacing, headset needs a service, chainrings worn, rear mech damaged, blah, blah, blah...

Soooooooo, I'm looking for a sub £1k cyclocross replacement. My eyes first lit upon the Cannondale http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caadx-disc-6-tiagra-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec053953

Then Planet X bought out their Carbon CX bike which knocked it for six in terms of spec but didn't have that special 'something' in the looks department with its black on black with black detailing colour scheme.

But then... http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLS105/planet_x_xls_shimano_105_cyclocross_bike the Flanders version has just come out. Worryingly for me, the only size that isn't currently available for purchase or  pre-order is the XL but hopefully that may change.

Opinions? Anything else I should be looking at?
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    Re: Planet X Flanders Cyclocross
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:40 »
    Not a specific comment, but more general.

Planet X tend to be cheaper, but they are very capable of massive cock ups. If you buy from them check everything on the frame for defects such as clearances, badly fitting headset, slipping seat post etc. and send back if not perfect.

I've had to send quite a bit of their own brand stuff back over the years including a frame that wouldn't accept a back wheel with a 12t or larger smallest sprocket and a 'track' chainset that was 130mm chainline.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 15:29 »
    Cheers, I'm close enough to treat them as a retail store so taking stuff back not an issue.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 18:18 »
    S.Yorks boy then?

Looks nice, good spec. Not sure about the wheels....that is where savings get made. Obviously the gearing might or might not suit, but you could always swap out the big chainring for a 50t.

I take it that you realise that cyclocross bikes tend to be a bit tall for their given top-tube length, with a higher BB for clearance?

Personally, I think the bike is worth a punt at a grand. It will go like sh*t off a shovel off road on tracks.

Obviously attaching guards and luggage will be a different proposition to your hybrid
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [November 17, 2019, 07:59]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:36]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2019, 00:31]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2019, 19:29]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by LukasCPH