Re: Lotto News
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16 »
PMSL! I forgot how tiny she is too :$
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 19:28 »

:D

Publicerades den 6 jul 2014
    After hearing 'de Ronde', a song in dutch about the Tour of Flanders, sung by one of the team doctors SerVaaS, André Greipel asked him to make and sing a song together. Now the Tour de France starts, and this is how such a unusual cooperation between a rider and a doctor sounds...

Lyrics & Music: Jan Borré, Servaas Bingé
    Vocals: Servaas Bingé, André Greipel
    Keys, programming and production: Jan Borré
    Mastering: www.mathewlane.be
    Nextart Records - Lotto Sports Organisation - Denktank
    www.lottobelisol.be
    www.servaas.nu
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5177
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 15:37 »
    http://www.lottobelisol.be/nl/marc-sergeant-analyseert-2014-2201.htm

Marc Sergeant doing his own report card for Lotto and a few thoughts on 2015.

Should be interesting next year seeing how Wellens, Vervaeke, Benoot and de Buyst get on.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 09:30 »
    Just an update here. Lotto took the unusual step of announcing their successful WT licence application earlier than the UCI.

Not sure what motivated the team to do that. Usually there's a press embargo on this kind of thing. Clearly very eager for 2015 ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 09:35 »

:D

Publicerades den 6 jul 2014
    After hearing 'de Ronde', a song in dutch about the Tour of Flanders, sung by one of the team doctors SerVaaS, André Greipel asked him to make and sing a song together. Now the Tour de France starts, and this is how such a unusual cooperation between a rider and a doctor sounds...

Lyrics & Music: Jan Borré, Servaas Bingé
    Vocals: Servaas Bingé, André Greipel
    Keys, programming and production: Jan Borré
    Mastering: www.mathewlane.be
    Nextart Records - Lotto Sports Organisation - Denktank
    www.lottobelisol.be
    www.servaas.nu

So I was thinking, no way a taciturn grump like Greipel is going to condescend to sing in a pop video.

How wrong I was. He has been 'vocally corrected' as the phrase goes, which is pop music's equivalent of the Dark Side, but he's there nonetheless.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 10:02 »
    I saw a few interviews of Greipel at the Tour Down Under a while ago ... and he has a great sense of humour actually. 
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 10:11 »
    I saw a few interviews of Greipel at the Tour Down Under a while ago ... and he has a great sense of humour actually.

Yeah, I know, you're right, AG. He actually has a sweet temperament when he's not under pressure to win sprints or being asked pointless questions by journos.

I was just spreading it on thick for the purposes of dramatic juxtaposition. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 12:38 »
    Not as good this year ...  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #42 on: December 11, 2014, 13:50 »
    https://twitter.com/VTMNIEUWS/status/543038019834773504

poor old JVDB under the pump at Lotto again  :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:59 by just some guy »

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 849
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 17:48 »
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/news/griepel-takes-new-approach-early-season-racing-2015_355630
    Every time some Anglo misspells Greipel (or similar names with "ei" in them), I die a little inside. :(

Apart from that, this post has absolutely no content whatsoever. Carry on.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 20:33 by Fus87 »
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45 »
    Lotto taking no chances: nine wins already in 2015

1 Feb: Pim Ligthart: La Marseillaise
        4 Feb: Kris Boeckmans: stage Bessèges
        7 Feb: Tony Gallopin: stage Bessèges
        18 Feb: Pim Ligthart: stage Ruta del Sol
        22 Feb: André Greipel: stage Algarve
        4 Mar: Kris Boeckmans: Le Samyn
        10 Mar: André Greipel: stage Paris-Nice
        12 Mar: Jens Debusschere: stage Tirreno-Adriatico
        14 Mar: Tony Gallopin: stage Paris-Nice

Lotto-Soudal boss Marc Sergeant declares himself well-pleased with the new strategy at the team: keep the big names out of the early racing and insist on spreading the responsibility for wins.

That certainly paid off in last week's racing: a stage win in Tirreno-Adriatico and two in Paris-Nice, as well as one day in yellow and the overall polka dots in the latter.

Lest we forget though, this was just the latest peak in a purple patch for Lotto, taking the Belgian team's tally to nine victories so far in 2015.

"That makes me very happy," says Marc Sergeant, for whom such a sentiment is rare. "For the stage races in Australia, Qatar and Oman, we kept our best riders at home this year ... hopefully in the coming weeks we'll see the fruits of that."

But Sergeant hasn't been forced to be patient in the meantime: "We're now winning across the team. We used to rely on André Greipel. Now Ligthart and Gallopin twice and Debusschere once. It's not easy to pick one out but Gallopin in Paris-Nice was really special."

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2272482 (NL)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 22:54 »
    http://rouleur.cc/journal/lotto-soudal-herman-frison-tony-gallopin-thomas-de-gendt-2015-season

An interesting read on why #lotto have been so successful this year.
    Skipping the 'exotic' races, starting the season later for the big riders, giving de Gendt a completely free role - and it has paid off so far.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 747
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1266
    « Reply #55 on: July 21, 2016, 10:34 »
    Hello,

It's not news but since it's a national day here, I have some time, so I decided to share with you a very sweet video of 12-year-old Tim Wellens, already Belgian champion in his category and racing road and MTB at that time. We are in 2003.

It stroke me how he spoke close to perfect French: "Bonjour, je m'appelle Tim Wellens, j'ai douze and et j'habite St-Trond." ("Good morning my name is Tim Wellens. I'm twelve years old and I live in St-Truiden")

But I understand that his mother is Walloon.  :)

Also very nice, yesterday I watched the whole docu-soap by the ÉÉN: "Jonge Benen" (Young Legs) about the friendship between Tim Wellens, Jasper Stuyven, Sean De Bie and Louis Vervaeke.

The quartet have been friends ever since Jasper's Junior World Title. It was shot last year. Only three episodes from the start of the season to the Belgian Nats.

It reminds me of the docu soap "Wellens en Wee" by channel VIER, focused around Tim's non-related homonym Bart Wellens but even though that one seemed more fun, I think this quartet is more sympathetic than Kung-fu Bart. I think there's a lot of humanity in Tim's personality and you can see in his soft blue eyes that he's a nice guy.  ;) Particular in this friendship is that they are all from different provinces.

Tim looks like the animator of the show. In the intro he says:
    This story is about us. Jasper, Sean, Louis and I. My name is Tim. We are four friends and we've made a job out of racing. Jasper lives in Leuven. Sean is from the Campine. Louis is an East-Fleming and I grew up in St-Truiden. Our friendship has started 6 years ago when Jasper was Junior World champion in Moscow. Sean, Louis and I are teammates. Jasper rides for the opposition but this has no impact on our band. 2015 is an important year for us. Louis is starting his first season with the pros. Sean has to find himself back after a difficult year. Jasper could win a classic and I am preparing for my first Tour of France.

I would like to understand what Tim is saying about altitude training in Tenerife between 9.00 and 10.00 in the second episode. Please, some Dutchies help me.  ;)

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 18:20 »

The Secret behind Tim’s Succes? My Rice Pudding

Antonie Custers, (grand)mother of the Wellens-clan

“After you phoned she could not sleep for two nights. She’s so nervous”, says Johan Wellens about his mother, Antonie Custers, grand-mother of the Wellens family. With her husband Alfons, she raised a whole cycling dynasty. Her sons, Paul, Johan and Leo coloured the peloton in the seventies and eighties. Paul even did that with two stage wins in the Tour of France [and the Tour of Switzerland GC!!], including one in Morzine in 1977, today’s stage finish. Her grandsons Yannick and Tim also inherited the Wellens cycling genes [Yannick is Tim’s older brother].

Nervous or not Antonie was shining with pleasure when she can talk about her (grand)sons. She is 90 but her industrious moves and enthusiastic answers betray nothing of it. Her son Johan is there if her memories let her a little bit down but that does not often happen. Antonie opens her story with the difficult way the cycling microbe sneaked into her family. A Wellens-rivet game so to speak [not sure about the translation of “nietespel”].

Antonie:
    Our Paul was the first one to wish to race but my husband did not allow him to. He did not consider it a job and in his opinion you could get any honour from it. It raised discussion and that’s how Paul secretly bought himself a bike and a cycling kit with the money that my father-in-law had given to him. We did not know anything of it.

Johan (laughing):
    Ah! So our dad’s father did know about that? This I did not know.

Antonie:
    Yes, and Paul hid that cycling equipment in an uncle and tante’s home. The latter ones took great care of his bike and washed it [smiling]. We only discovered it in the newspaper when it seemed that Paul won a race. He immediately started to race well and my husband had no problem with it anymore. It really went very fast with Paul. In 1976 he turned pro, in 1977 he won a stage at the Tour of France in Superbesse [Sancy]. In 1978, he reiterate his achievement in Morzine. Great of course, even though the attention to the Tour of France wasn’t as big by then as it is now. We did not even phone after his stage win for phone contacts were not easy by then either. In any case, I’m glad that I could convince my husband to let Paul do his thing.

Johan:
    The road was then also open for Leo and I. And that’s how Yannick and Tim have also discovered the world of cycling. If you then look at the performances that Paul set and how Tim is now racing, then you may argue that Paul’s perseverance was legitimate. It has partly defined the Wellens family. It’s a shame that Yannick had to stop due to exercice-induced asthma.

Antonie:
    All of a sudden, my husband became the most fervent supporter of my sons and grandsons. First it did not work and then he was out of control.

From the Farm to School
    The Wellens’ brothers Paul and Johan rode on a daily basis from house in Beringen to Bokrijk in order to study for teaching, though. That is roughly 50km back & forth.

Johan:
    I don’t know if we got these cycling legs from our daily rides from and to Bokrijk. It definitely was a good training.

Antonie:
    The boys could train freely. They did not have to help a lot in the farm. Leo did drive more often with the tractor because he was more technical and skilful. After work they often went training with the three of them.

Johan:
    We got our equipment from the cents that we earned in the teaching. Besides, we had to fan clubs that supported us. For Tim, it went differently. As a U23, it was already obvious that he would turn pro. Well, honestly speaking, Tim is better than we’ve ever been.

Antonie:
    And from all this training, they very often went to bed at 9pm. I didn’t have to send them to bed, they went on their own. They were so tired.

1981 Tour of France
    Paul, Johan & Leo once race the Tour of France together, in 1981. It was with Lomme Driessens’ Boule d’Or team. A unique data, for several reasons.

Antonie:
    The 1981 Tour of France passed just in front of our house in Beringen. There was a stage from Zolder to Hasselt and I could cheer for my three sons three times just at my own front door. That was wonderful.

Johan:
    It was indeed very special to ride alongside your family house. Even more unique – still now –  was that we raced with three brothers in the same Tour of France. It’s now still a question at “Trivial Pursuit”, because that has never happened ever again. And even more fun was that our leader Freddy Maertens won that stage. I kept clippings about our careers but since I had to do it threefold, it hasn’t lasted for long.[smiling]

Antonie:
    That day there were a great many people at home. These were the hottest of the Tour of France and it seemed that the whole village was on our pavement. Another funny story: the neighbour across the street made a career switch that day. He had a laundry but asked if he could sell hot dogs in order to raise some money from the Tour of France. No problem of course but afterwards, he made hot dogs his main occupation and made a whole business out of it. We did not just watch it at the door. Every Saturday and Sunday we were standing somewhere along the route. We had a lot of fun, that I can guarantee.

Tim
    Of course, Tim is grandma’s new cycling hero. She hopes he can someday become World Champion. She keeps following him on TV but also often went cheering live for him until her husband was ill. And, importantly, before Tim moved to Monaco, he came to visit her almost every day for a chat and … a share of rice pudding!

Antonie:
    He was very often here. This rice pudding, I’ve always cooked for him. He’s eaten quite a lot from it but now that he’s living in Monaco that gets difficult. I cannot easily send it to him, can I? The secret behind Tim’s success might lay in my rice pudding.

Johan:
    That might be a good headline for the article[smiling]
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 18:24 »
    However good he may be on the bike... he is really one of the most "boring" guys around there, isn't he? :D
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #58 on: August 01, 2016, 15:45 »
    What is so "boring" about him?

By the way, Tim has a race named after him. Well it was already the case last year, by the way.

He's spent the night in Brussels, then to Zurich in order to jet to Rio.

He considers it a great honour to have a GP to his name. Last year, he was allowed to win it but this year it's gonna be harder because of a stronger field and he come back from Rio, with the jet lag but he's gonna do his best to win it again.  :)

(Today's Belang again)

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #59 on: August 01, 2016, 16:00 »
    What is so "boring" about him?

oh, maybe not "boring", just very "normal", same girlfriend since he is 15 or so, daily visit at his grandma... he certainly doesn't seem to come with the kind of headlines the Belgians love about their cycling stars
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts