collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5725
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Lotto News
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2016, 16:09 »
he certainly doesn't seem to come with the kind of headlines the Belgians love about their cycling stars
I consider that a good thing! :P
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1063
    « Reply #61 on: September 14, 2016, 18:52 »
    On the 20st of September a new book will get published about Lotto-Soudal: "Lotto-Soudal, de winnende combinatie" (so the "winning combination" that is) by Willem De Bock.

It's 224 pages, I don't know how much it costs and hesitate to buy it.

The Belang van Limburg are proud to announce that their man Tim Wellens is on the front cover along with his Ridley bike, which was manufactured in Beringen, Limburg as well (I didn't know that).

The author wants to describe the team philosophy and how hard is fighting to get to the top of the cycling scene and to remain there.

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #62 on: October 16, 2016, 11:37 »

GvA 6 October

Why all of a sudden doesn’t Lotto-Soudal win anymore?

Since Greipel won the final stage of the Tour of France, it’s frightfully quiet in Lotto-Soudal. The Belgian Team only won three times in humble races like the Tour of the Ain, the Tour of Britain and the Wallonia GP. What’s missing?

In 2015 after the Tour of France they still got 12 wins including WT races such as the Tour of the Low Countries or the Hamburg classic. The 2014 end of season also was glorious with 10 victories including a stage in the Tour of Spain. Even though the nucleus remained almost unmodified ever since, it suddenly got a lot harder to win for the troops of the National Lottery.

That did not escape first DS Herman Frison either.

In the next days, we are going to assess the situation together but I see a few possible causes. We have raced very little since the end of the Tour of France. Because of the Olympics the whole calendar has been turned upside down whereby for instance the Tour of Poland was held during that of France while the Tour of the Low Countries was moved to September. That has had influence on the repartition of the season for someone like Tim Wellens who peaked for the Tours of Italy and Poland this year but then was no longer in top form in the later part of the season.
    Beside that fact we scrapped a certain amount of races ourselves, like the Tour of Denmark of instance because we thereby hoped that our riders would be fresher but it seemed that some riders were no longer in good form after the Tour of France.
    Debusschere did not complete the Tour of France because of a shoulder injury, Roelandts had problems with his hamstrings. They are just the guys who easily account for a win in the later part of the season. So not this year.

Not whining

Frison is also pointing towards the Worlds later this month in Qatar
    Greipel realises that it’s his last chance to get World Champion and focused on Doha, whereby after the Tour of France he deliberately took a bit of petrol. As a team we understand that and gave André the chance to prepare in the best possible way but maybe in recent weeks we thought too little about ourselves. Believe me: Greipel, Debusschere and Roelandts don’t win at the moment but it doesn’t mean to say that they are bad, on the contrary.

And if Greipel is World Champion on 16 October in Doha?

Then the meager year’s end is forgotten right away. And even if he doesn’t manage it, then you won’t hear us whining. Across Flanders, four stages in the Tour of Italy, stages in the Tour of France on Mount Ventoux and in Paris. Even if the year’s end was lesser, it doesn’t mean we had a poor season.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 09:35 »
    Long time promised, the Nieuwsblad/Sportwereld article about Tim Wellens in the background of the "Flandrien" award on 22 October. I couldn't post it before because I was really exhausted, almost burning out. Now I feel better.  ;)

And I've got to share it because AG labelled me a Tim Wellens fanboy and when AG stamped me it's forever. So I shouldn't disappoint her. :D ;)

I Still Have to Ask Porte Why He Showed his Middle Finger

He also won a stage at the Tour of Italy and the Tour of Poland GC. Yet the final stage of Paris-Nice stand above all for Tim Wellens. He outsprinted Contador and Porte in a direct duel. It was as so often for him the day after a counter-performance and it took place on his beloved French Riviera. “I had already thought about settling here back then”, says the new Monaco resident.

The frame of his sunglasses has the same motive as the fur of a Siberian tiger, fitting with his fashionable white shirt and the motor helmet that Tim Wellens is carrying in his right hand. Even though it’s only 20km from his new house in Monaco to the terrace of the Promenade des Anglais, the off season is the off season and you don’t cycle.

Because of the heavy traffic it’s dangerous to cycle in Nice and I have to empty the petrol tank of my motorcycle in order to change the petrol flap. A 125 sq c by the way.

Tim Wellens feels like a fish in the water in his new area. As we would be! While in our country are ringing overtime you can see a cloud in the sky on the coast of the Med. A big 7 months ago the same location was rather dark for the 25 year old Limburger of the Lotto-Soudal team. In the last but one stage he lost more than 3 minutes. Away classification.
    Paris-Nice was my first major goal in 2016. Beforehand I recognized three days. Seven hour trainings. Gert Steegmans showed me the way, even though he couldn’t keep up for 7 hours (laughing but straight serious again). And then this!

On the first 4 km of the Madone Wellens kept up very well but unfortunately the climb was 15km long.
    Long climbs are not my point fort[1]. My climbing effort is limited to 25 minutes. That’s the main difference between Contador and I. He’s riding as fast on a 3km climb as on a 15km climb. I’ve already trained that last year but then I had to stop the training half way. Too hard. This winter I’m gonna work on it. They are the hardest training that there is.
     1. In French in the text

After the finish Wellens regrets being just a one-day racer. The disappointment is there but not noticeable.

I’m rather shy. That is in the family. If I’m very disappointed I don’t show it. Even less if I’m super happy. Then again I’m not someone who goes nuts in the team bus. Only my girlfriend Sophie sometimes notices a bit of aggression.

The disappointment went quickly away in the evening thanks to roommate Thomas De Gendt.

He’s always so joyful, then you quickly forget about all your worries. What did we do? Obviously not eating M&M’s. Since last year’s Tour of France, I’ve been disgusted of it. We had just laughingly said before going to sleep that we would do a duo attack the following day.

The tale came true. Both Wellens and De Gendt were in the lead group that Sunday.
    Thomas worked for three. Yet he came to tell me that he had bad legs. He even rode so hard that the other guys in the lead group shouted that he got insane and that he rode far too fast. Vintage Thomas[2]. I followed with my fingers in the nose
     2. in English in the text

That Wellens has a super day after an off day is nothing new.
    I don’t know how that comes but if I suffer badly one day I’m super the day after. Also at the Tour of Italy I was burnt out the day before. I’m probably an exception in this respect because I’ve never heard that from any other riders. Perhaps I have to train super hard the day before Liège-Bastogne-Liège next year.

Cancellara’s Recipe

The super legs may also have come from the breakfast. Our team cook Carol had planned a healthy breakfast. But next to it was a unhealthier buffet from the hotel. I’m one of the riders who also went to the other buffet. A bit sinning. I’m against the idea that during a stage race you need to eat healthily seven days a week. A little pack of Nutella is no harm[3]. I’m also no coffee drinker. Tea, yes. Warm but also simply cold water with a tea pack in it. Jasper Stuyven has learnt it from Cancellara[4] It doesn’t give up all the taste of it but it’s better than water and [‘vochtafdrijvend’, I don’t really understand the word, please help!!]. So you got sharper from it.
     3. Nutella is very bad, Tim. Stop it. :)
     4.  Remember that Jasper and Tim are good friends, ever since Jasper’s junior World Champion title in Moscow 2009. They form a nice quartet with also Sean De Bie and Louis Vervaeke and made together a docu TV show: “Jonge Benen” (Young Legs). I’m also normally more of a tea drinker than a coffee drinker even though in recent months I would rather neither of them but I should once try cold tea.

Back to Sunday 13 March. The lead group splits on the final climb: the Col d’Eze. The Spaniard David de La Cruz attacked.
    I had to give all I had to follow him. I five minutes I cycled more than 500 watts. My highest value ever in five minutes. Fortunately he was too dynamic at the start and paid the price for it afterward. I steamed through uphill, mainly because Contador and Porte had attacked from the peloton. What I still know about it? Right before the top, two motorbikes had crashed against each other. That’s about it. The funny thing is that I often pass by it. The Col d’Eze is on my regular route when I go for a loose ride.

Just before the top Contador and Porte got back. The understanding between the riders is straight excellent.
    They had to go through anyway if they wanted to make a chance for the GC. With 2km to go I place myself in third position.
    /

The final 200m Wellens comes out and sprints to stage win with a lot of left energy.
    I then hit 1,250 watt for 10 seconds. My best ever sprint. Two personal records in one day. And this after an off-day. On the finish line Porte raised the middle finger. I still don’t know why. I guess addressing Contador because the latter no longer wished to take turn in the final 500m. Afterwards Porte came to congratulate me. Four days before I learnt to know him in the Ventoux descent. We annoyed each other by overtaking just before a corner.

Also on the finish line, the hardly extravagant celebration of Wellens’.
    I know. Olivier Kaisen sent me in the evening a photo collage with the message that I may surely be more original. Apparently I won all my pro wins with the same celebration[5]
     5. Tim, I love this celebration. It’s so simple and humble. The Montreal one was very cool. The ‘original’ celebration at the Tour of Italy was a bit lame. Keep your traditional one !!!

That the win in Paris-Nice was rated so high by the outside world comes because he beat Contador and Porte.
    Of course I’m not saying that I took a gap before the climb. Had I started the climb with Contador, I would never have won. Anyway I think Paris-Nice is a high regarded race. More so than Tirreno-Adriatico for example. Maybe the love for the Race to the Sun comes because Frank Vandenbroucke also shone here. He was one of my heroes. And when I came training here in March, I was in love with the area. Paris-Nice has nothing to do with my house change to Monaco. I’ve only been to Monaco last May and since then it went very fast.

Oddly enough the new Monegasque doesn’t intend to race Paris-Nice next year.
    I’d also like to race the Strade Bianche but that’s not combinable. I also have a lot of passion for Italy. In November I’m starting 60 hours of Italian lessons. Every Tuesday and Thursday, an hour and a half. Fortunately Sophie follows the same classes and can keep my notes updated when I have to race. So maybe in combination of Strade Bianche and Tirreno, well a good reason round off my Italian.

21 February: Without even noticing Tim Wellens comes 2nd in the mountain classification of the Tour of Andalucia. The form is good.

13 March: Wellens wins the final stage of Paris-Nice. His first win on the French soil.

17 April: With a 10th place at the Amstel Gold Race Wellens got his best performance in an Ardennes classic. The Walloon Arrow (65th) and Liège Bastogne Liège (48th) were real disappointments.

12 May: Tim Wellens wins the 6th stage of the Tour of Italy after a long solo. In Roccaraso, he has a 1’19” gap ahead of Fuglsang.

26 June: Wellens comes 2nd to Philippe Gilbert in the Belgian Nat in Cerfontaine after a two-man sprint.

16 July: Wellens wins in the rain the queen stage of the Tour of Poland with a 3’48” lead ahead of the second. He also got the final classification. His third win in a World Tour stage race.

6 August: Wellens was hit by the heat in Rio and retired early on.

1 October: He also retired from the Tour of Lombardy. After Rio he never got his wished level back.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 16:16 by LukasCPH »

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8853
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #64 on: January 29, 2017, 08:29 »
    Tony Gallopin will focus on the cobbled classics this year  :cool

(gt)

Because your objectives are located later in the year, in the heart of the ... Flemish mountains!

I have experienced too much failure on the Walloon classics. When I talked about my program to the team, it was done naturally. I tried the Flandriennes, the Ardennaises, sometimes both. Now it's time to make a choice. I always had more fun on the Flandriennes, and the team also had a preference for the paving stones so much the better.

Boonen, Sagan, Van Avermaet: the list of contenders for the Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix is ​​already well supplied ...

On Liège-Bastogne-Liège, I will always find it difficult to anticipate the best punchers in the peloton. In Flanders, there are more opportunities, more surprises: it is more open! Each generation has a great champion. Cancellara and Boonen have dominated these classics for years, but they are not the only ones to be on the list! There have been openings, everything is possible.

You do not fear the competition in a team specialized for cobbles, with Benoot, Roelandts, Debusschere, ...?

On the contrary, to be able to present at the start with a group like that, it is nice. Tactically, it's more interesting to come up with a single leader. We can try different approaches, attack from a distance ... And then I find myself in a team that lives for the classics, which makes it a real goal and it makes a difference.

Do you have a greater sensitivity for the history of the Flemish mountains?

In Flanders, there is a real culture of cycling. I had the chance to discover all the classics, but it is in Flanders that we find the most beautiful, the most authentic. Riding the Old Quaremont is special. And now I feel liberated. I can do that, I want to do that. I love racing too much, I would like to do it all! Gone are the years to try various options, I stopped my choice and I know when will be the best time of year.

http://www.lamarseillaise.fr/sports/cyclisme/56866-gplm2017-tony-gallopin-ici-je-m-amuse-on-s-amuse

he was super strong in his first (?) Ronde for Trek, when he punctured out of contention only in the very end. So I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the cobbles again (:
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10585
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #65 on: January 29, 2017, 08:45 »
    So weird a rider still working out what sort of rider he is after so long. But yeep looking forward to seeing him in spring as well
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #66 on: May 16, 2017, 19:45 »
    Sudpresse - 12 May 2017

“I should not forget the bread …”

Alone in the world, Tim Wellens is preparing of the Tour of France, in altitude, in the deserted ski resort of Isola 2000

For a month Tim Wellens exiled himself on the high grounds. In Isola 2000 in the French Alps, he’s preparing for the second half of the season which passes by the Tour of France.

He could have competed at the Giro, a race that crowned him last year in Roccaraso but Tim Wellens chose for the lonesomeness of a long altitude training session in order to approach the second part of the season. Direction Isola, the largeness of the mountains and the depressing setting of completely deserted ski resort lost between its two touristic seasons between the last remainders of a winter that imposes its last attacks and the timid sketches of a reborn summer. “A real ghost town”  laughs the Belgian who has settled there for almost a month [lol reading the depiction I also thought of the Far West ghost towns!! :D] when hanging his bike back after a five hour ride interrupted by snow storms.
    10cm on the roads, I had to pedal on my rolls this morning. But at noon, there was already nothing left. Besides, if it’s not for me I’m wondering who the snowploughs are cleaning the roads to the resort for since there’s nobody here [:D]. Everything is closed. Since I have no car, if I forget the bread I’m good for a bike descent to fetch it down in the valley because there’s nothing here…. I should rather have to be well organised . I’m renting a huge flat for almost nothing since nobody wants to come at this time of the year. One of 10 persons. I could almost get lost

(Laughing my head off !!!)

Since 29 April – five days after a Liège-Bastogne-Liège that did not fulfill his expectations like his other Ardennes races – the Lotto Soudal rider is living in high altitude. A training session that should enable him to land at the top of his form in Düsseldorf for his second participation at the Tour of France on 1 July. The first one was not really a success and yet Tim Wellens decided to reiterate the same approach, rather a long training session than a dossard before the French party.
    I decided to give altitude training a second chance. It’s obvious that the first one did not work. I did too much too fast. This year I am doing it more progressively. I let my body the time to get acclimation. I first did long walk through the snow before making rides without forcing the average speed. I’m starting the specific training next Friday [last Friday that was] with acceleration and intervals on the climbs

He sometimes passes by other cyclists near the Col de la Bonette, like the Katusha [Rein] Taaramaë or the Aqua Blue [Lawrence] Warbasse but that’s about it.
    The team offered me to race the first 10 days of the Tour of Italy before retiring like Greipel is going to do but I found it a bit sad. I could also have raced the Tour of Belgium, a race that inspires me but I decided to relax. The objective is not just the Tour of France but also everything that follows from San Sebastian to Lombardy. No way I should do too much before the Tour of France.

On the agenda after his session the Hammer Series [grrr], the new race format early June in the Netherlands before making it to the Tour of Switzerland and the Belgian Championships. He makes it clear that even though the classics were hard for the whole team, he gets no pressure from Lotto who let him prepare his objectives the way he wants.
    The team is cool even if I think André’s stage win and pink jersey at the Tour of Italy did a lot of good to everybody. My team is letting me work on my own. It’s luxury. When I see that at Katusha, Taaramaë and all the others got a e-mail because the team are judging them overweight… At Lotto nothing of that. I put pressure myself. The victories in Mallorca are good but past and in fairness I don’t think it’s what the team is expecting. I cannot rely on my three season-opening victories.

In this fertile pressure lay the ambitions of the Monaco resident who has just celebrated his 26 years last Wednesday.
    My girlfriend Sophie has joined me for the matter, otherwise she only comes at weekends and brings me the shopping for the week. The rest of the time I’m alone in my world. It’s a real job but I’m not going to whine even though time is long during rest days. Then I’m watching films and try reading in order to get away from the cycling world. But well finding Dutch book at this time of the year in Isola 2000, let us say it is a bit difficult [:D]. So right now I’m again reading a book about the bike…

Last year a Philippe Gilbert also set his wheels in the resort of the Mercantour before being crowned Belgian champion a few weeks later ahead of … Tim Wellens. The Limburger would like to emulate his elder even though the flat route in Antwerp this year is likely not to give him enough room for expressing himself than the Alp slopes which are surrounding him at the moment. 
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 971
    « Reply #67 on: May 16, 2017, 20:35 »
    The team is cool even if I think André’s stage win and pink jersey at the Tour of Italy did a lot of good to everybody. My team is letting me work on my own. It’s luxury. When I see that at Katusha, Taaramaë and all the others got a e-mail because the team are judging them overweight…
    Kristoff said the same a month ago, Katusha are really putting a lot of pressure on every rider...
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5725
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #68 on: May 16, 2017, 21:19 »
    Kristoff said the same a month ago, Katusha are really putting a lot of pressure on every rider...
    They're "doing a Vino", hoping it works for their riders as it worked for Nibali - and they're prepared to drop any Kessiakoffs that may come their way.

Despicable way of doing business.
  • ReplyReply

•