collapse

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 921
Re: The 2014 CQ Ranking Manager Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 10:49 »
Is there any evidence that 2013 had the smartest field? I'm genuinely curious, as it didn't look like it to me. There were probably too many picks that turned out to be weak or mediocre, also in the de-facto top teams. When you compare that to what was possible with unpopular picks such as Chris "tailwind" Froome and Richie Porte, I don't know.

I'd certainly welcome having a much bigger field, though, especially if (more) people from within pro cycling join. What do you all think are the best (least intrusive) ways to get more people to join?

i think 2013 was probably more of a reliance on getting a few of the perfect picks (expensive but big return) Sagan, Quintana, the two you mention and perhaps to a lesser extend Cav and Cancellara than having a really well 'balanced' team that brought major points throughout.  In 2012 there were a few amazingly cheap but productive picks Quintana and Moser for example and lots of people tried to find those (most got Coquard of course) and a lot of us picked the same duds.

I sent a 'press release' for the game to CN and few other anglo journalists and followed it up with a tweet or two.  Daniel Benson retweeted but unfortunately not the one from the CN feed twitter that has 100,000+.  He did say he would try and get a team together.  Inner Ring has also said he might play.  The point of the press release wasnt really to get a story written but just as way to approach journos with it.  If you fancy doing the same for any dutch journos, at some point I'll attach it here (or you could just as easily cut and paste the preamble that skidmark wrote in the first post into google translate and just check the translation over).  I know jsg tweeted a link to the thread to a few people and got some interest.

I'm also looking for a bigger field for the youth game, which I hope you will join and there is also Armchair's games to consider too.
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 11:01 »
    Press Release

CQ Ranking Game Preparations Underway for 2014.

When 'Hugo Koblet' (a poster on a cycling website's forum) conceived the much loved CQ Ranking Manager game in the latter months of 2010, a game he thought might have 25 or so players.  This expectation was far exceeded in the first year, and now at the conclusion of its third year, in 2013 over 130 teams were entered, with SteelyDan emerging on top by a mere 20 points (or a single stage victory in a 2.1 race) from Geraint Too Fast with a total of 13094.

Utilising the CQ Ranking website's points system the game challenges the player to select a team totalling no more than 7500 CQ points from the most recent season (a rough average from the World Tour teams in 2010), and generate the biggest increase in points, from young riders making a break through as they develop into the pro ranks, or more established members of the peloton returning from injury/poor form or perhaps even from moving into more of a leadership role in new team.

The inaugural champion, fellow poster ingsve managed to make a profit of 6,421 points, after bravely asserting he would be victorious in the early days of the season.  'The game is a great way for a cycling fan to enhance the experience of following the sport of cycling. It makes you care about the results in many more races throughout the year and makes you more invested in how riders develop.'

Of his prediction he told us 'It's fun to see how the game has developed over the years. The first year many people didn't understand the fundamentals of the game and created fundamentally flawed teams to the point where I realized I would have a fair shot at winning the game, which I did. The following years people had caught on to what the crucial mechanics are in building a good team and the competition has become very fierce which only adds to the excitement of the game.'

Having successfully established the game, that has also spawned several sub games, Hugo is taking a back seat in 2014 with his time limited due to work commitments.    Several other forum members look set to take up the challenge of maintaining the game.  These include 2012 champion skidmark and podium finisher in the 2011 edition mc_mountain, who also established a young riders version of the game.  He told us 'It looks like the YouthCQ game in 2013 has been somewhat of an apprenticeship for helping to take up the reigns of the main game.  I'm glad I've had the chance to do something like it on a smaller scale, before following in Hugo's footsteps'.

An innovation for the 2014 season will see the weekly updates provided by a variety of posters rather than just one game organiser, one of whom 'search' gave us his insight into the game 'When I won the Tour de France version of the game in 2012 it was only the second time I had participated in any version of the CQ Manager games, and back then I did not think too long and hard about it to be honest – I was surprised, but very happy when I saw that I won.

He went on to say 'but that's probably also the most interesting part of the game; you can use a variety of thought processes to come to a successful team. A new participant choosing the riders mostly by gut feeling to a large degree has the same chance of winning as someone who is using a very analytical perspective. In the end the winner's team will most likely have to find a mix of both approaches, but also have luck on their side. However it will unfold, I am sure the 2014 edition of the game will again be very captivating and definitely one I am looking forward to participating in.

Of all the updates perhaps the most anticipated will be provided by the Game's creator Hugo himself who will declare the winner at the end of the season.

Look out for details on how to sign up and play in the Games and Fantasy Forum in the coming weeks.

Notes

In its three years on the Cycling News forum the main game has generated 9,351 posts and 570,112 page views.  Combining subgames, evaluation and speculation threads that rises to 10,777 and 671,758 over half the posts on the sub forum, formed to accommodate the popularity of the game.

Notable Riders – suitable for photo to accompany article.

Peter Sagan has increased his CQ score in each of the 3 seasons of the game.  His average increase in CQ points is 581.67.  His increase in 2013 from 1963 to 2673 (710 points) was vital for game winner SteelyDan's total of 13094

• ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19 »
    Is it an actual press release? I understand drumming up support but never heard of a game sending out PRs.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25 »
    Is it an actual press release? I understand drumming up support but never heard of a game sending out PRs.

Well what makes something a press release other than calling it a press release and sending it to the press.  basically it came out of me wanting to get CN to acknowledge the game, that potentially drives quite a bit of traffic to their site.  at the time I wrote it I thought I might be running the game, so would have used the content as part of the OP.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 11:28 »
    OK, just trying to understand. The getting it out there on twitter sounds a good idea!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10455
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 11:34 »
    There 5 or 6 non forum people from my tweet have done teams now.

so a little more chat and it might snowball

I would challenge Conde mc , he says he knows cycling  lets see ;) :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 11:54 »

you'll see I just have (no email address on his blog so just the tweet).  maybe we should try and use a hashtag #CQRankingManagerGame when tweeting about it.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 11:55 »
    He knows self-promotion better!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 11:57 »
    you'll see I just have (no email address on his blog so just the tweet).  maybe we should try and use a hashtag #CQRankingManagerGame when tweeting about it.

maybe something smaller CQmanager14  ???
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5660
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 12:00 »
    maybe something smaller CQmanager14  ???
    I like that better than the other hashtag - that one's far too easy to get it wrong when typing, even more so on a mobile device.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 12:04 »
    ok yeah, smaller one is fine (to prove Fus's point i've posted the one I proposed wrongly already!)
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• National Champion
    • Liked: 651
    • Contador, Sagan, Purito, Paolini et all
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2015
    « Reply #41 on: December 13, 2013, 12:04 »
    Ok - looking at this i cant see anything to say if i can change my team later?  I ask because you select 25 to 33, why a range?  do i select 33 riders and then pick 25 from that for certain races?  Or are the riders I pick and sumbit the riders i am stuck with for the whole year?

Help please.... :o
  • ReplyReply
  • I love Italian cycling, well cyclists & the odd Spaniard, oh & that 1 particular Slovakian  then there are those with names  that are great fun - zzzdnek steeeebar & Tieeeeeeeesj Benoooot

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 12:08 »
    Ok - looking at this i cant see anything to say if i can change my team later?  I ask because you select 25 to 33, why a range?  do i select 33 riders and then pick 25 from that for certain races?  Or are the riders I pick and sumbit the riders i am stuck with for the whole year?

to give a minimum and maximum riders more riders equals less average spend, but more riders who might score.

once the team is in and the season starts no changes
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5660
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #43 on: December 13, 2013, 12:13 »

You pick once, before the first race of the 2014 season, and are 'stuck' with that selection for the whole year.
    Within the 7500 point budget, you have to choose at least 25 riders, and you may choose no more than 33.

Meaning that if you want to select riders with more points on average (reasoning that they're more certain to score), you still have to select 25 riders - you can't just pick Froome, Purito and Valverde and be done. And if you want to select riders with less points on average (reasoning that they're bargains and could prove important if they have a standout year), you have to stop with 33 riders.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• National Champion
    « Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17 »
    thanks exactly what i was after.... no disr3spect meant by my use of the word 'Stuck'
  • ReplyReply

• 18-Valve

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 28
    • Awards: 2016 Giro CQ game winner
    « Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 13:22 »
    There's no real point in picking less than 33 riders, though, as there are always boatloads of zero-pointers available.

I guess it could be convenient to those who don't have much time to send in a team, but want to join, anyway?
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 626
    • Awards: 2015 Youth CQ Ranking Game Champion2012 CQ Ranking Game Champion
    « Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 21:50 »
    Is there any evidence that 2013 had the smartest field? I'm genuinely curious, as it didn't look like it to me. There were probably too many picks that turned out to be weak or mediocre, also in the de-facto top teams. When you compare that to what was possible with unpopular picks such as Chris "tailwind" Froome and Richie Porte, I don't know.

I'd certainly welcome having a much bigger field, though, especially if (more) people from within pro cycling join. What do you all think are the best (least intrusive) ways to get more people to join?

Well, it's hard to use any kind of metric to determine whether the field is 'smarter', I meant more generally that after playing the game for a year, you sort of 'get it' a bit better and have a better idea of what works, what doesn't. And after 3 years, a lot of people have played at least once and 'get it' a bit better. The 'conventional wisdom' team underperformed this year, which was exciting to watch (although too bad as someone who tends to take picks that many people think will do well), but I don't think that was because people were less game intelligent, it's just that the less 'risky' type of game intelligence didn't pay off as well as in the first two years.

With regards to promotion, I'm not a tweeter, but it definitely sounds like there is a cycling twitter community of sorts. So yeah, the hashtag and all that are good ideas. For myself, at cyclingnews at least, I've put a 'join the cq manager game by January 6th' link  in my signature, so people will see it on whatever board. That's not super intrusive. If other people want to do that to promote the game, all the better. I'm sure if I had never wandered into the games section and all of a sudden saw 5 regular posters in the PRR section with links to the game in their signatures, I'd check it out. Whatever works for word of mouth, that's great.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 21:59 »

That's really cool. So everyone's aware, one thing that has come up is that there is the possibility of getting an email address for people to send their teams. My preference is to keep it on the forums, so that participants in the game are encouraged to discuss the game here, where updates are posted etc. But those of you out in the broader twitterverse promoting this game, please let me know if you think there's a large group of people that want to play but for some reason aren't willing to sign up for the forum. I may reconsider if that's the case.

Of course, another option is if you're tweeting and get someone interested in playing, you can submit their team for them to me by pm. Then the hope would maybe be that as the game wore on they'd be interested in joining the forum and contributing to discussion. I'm easy, more the merrier and all that, it's just that it seems weird to have someone playing that doesn't have the chance to share their thoughts on the thread where the game is contained.
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 22:02 »

Hey Trudgin,

Others seem to have answered your questions just fine, but you raised a good point that I overlooked; I added a section in bold in the main post on changing teams. Thanks for calling attention to it.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• National Champion
    « Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 22:05 »
    Now.... How do I actually send them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• National Champion
    « Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 22:50 »
    ok how do i actually post my entry...
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 23:58 »
    ok how do i actually post my entry...

send it to skidmark by PM - you can do this directly from a post of his, using the the icon in the left hand panel or you should be able to access PM/inbox in the top right hand corner where the alerts for the quotes/likes etc

just cut your team from the excel file if you've been using it and paste (just the riders names)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 00:42 by mc_mountain »

skidmark

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 22:53 »
    Quick note, guys: I've received 2 teams with Visconti for his 2013 score (480). I know the opening post is long, but it is explained there that due to his Ferrari-related suspension he costs his 2011 score (1282). Please note that when picking your teams.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• National Champion
    « Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 15:00 »
    Hi,

Im really struggling to download this spreadsheet that the rankings are calculated on... ive used CQ ranking and Sub-ranking and still coming out different to this spreadsheet.

Is it possible for someone to email me the spreadsheet (Hugo's) It would hopefully help me get the scores right
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 15:19 »
    Hi,

Im really struggling to download this spreadsheet that the rankings are calculated on... ive used CQ ranking and Sub-ranking and still coming out different to this spreadsheet.

Is it possible for someone to email me the spreadsheet (Hugo's) It would hopefully help me get the scores right

I'm not sure I have understood what you're after but the spreadsheet for the 2014 game wont be ready until all the teams are in - if you want the spreadsheet for the 2013 scores you can do get them from the downloads at CQ (select year ranking on the spreadsheet - although it wont make a difference at the moment)

but there is the create your team file here which includes the alterations for doping.

edit i've PM'd you with the list of riders whose scores will be different from the CQ website.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 15:32 by mc_mountain »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #55 on: December 18, 2013, 09:52 »
    Blazin' Saddles retweeted you
    14h:  @saddleblaze year long Fantasy Cycling game based on CQ points, you game? http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=4893.0 …  #CQManager14

that´s 10 000 followers hopefull a few new teams to the fun
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 15:56 »
    that´s 10 000 followers hopefull a few new teams to the fun

Wowsers. Maybe I didn't know what I signed up for here!

Gotta say, so far I'm super stoked. 4 of the 8 teams submitted are from folks who've never played before (or at least have different handles). And 7 of the 8 have come through velorooms! Less than 3 weeks to go, so keep poring over those shortlists!

edit: correction, just logged onto cn and there's now 9 teams, 5 of which are new.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 16:20 by skidmark »

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3217
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 18:52 »
    Tomorrow is my last work day of 2013. Which means Friday is my make-2014-CQ-team day.

Watch this space --------------->

• ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3217
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 18:57 »
    Thank you all for watching my space so attentively. I now have a 33-man team, coming in at 7435 points. Now we enter the phase where I stare at the list for 3 or 4 days in a mixture of doubt and confusion.

PS - I realise I'd said I'd do it yesterday, but had a Wiggins-sized hangover to contend with so thought it better to wait 24 hours for the pain to subside. Fighting fit again now!
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #59 on: December 22, 2013, 14:00 »
    Thank you all for watching my space so attentively. I now have a 33-man team, coming in at 7435 points. Now we enter the phase where I stare at the list for 3 or 4 days in a mixture of doubt and confusion.

PS - I realise I'd said I'd do it yesterday, but had a Wiggins-sized hangover to contend with so thought it better to wait 24 hours for the pain to subside. Fighting fit again now!

Plenty of time to consider your #CQYouth team!
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Test, just a test by STK-MonolitSip
    [Today at 00:41]

2017 Giro CQ Game by Armchair Cyclist
    [April 26, 2017, 23:26]

Re: World Championships 2017: Bergen, Norway! by t-72
    [April 26, 2017, 22:58]

Little 500 by hiero
    [April 26, 2017, 20:18]

Re: Andy Hampsten on the Tour of Italy by hiero