collapse

Joelsim

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1263
    • Music To Your Ears
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
Re: The 2014 CQ Ranking Manager Thread
« Reply #780 on: November 14, 2014, 22:29 »
Coming in as a noob did make me think the budget was a tad low. But it's the same for everyone. The only thing I will say is that many of the top riders are ruled out doing it this way, but if the budget was much more it would be a bit samey. Perhaps 8.5 next year may be a touch more realistic if some want to go for Piti or other dopers.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10429
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #781 on: November 15, 2014, 06:01 »
    OK I wanted more but I think now , as my team is done :p and I think many are getting close it might be a bit late

and I think the game will have to change for 2017 anyway

I suggest no rise this year and we discuss 2016 in the middle of next year and before the last WT race it is set.

With the whole race calender being changed in 2017 if Cookson can convince the ASO 2017 will be a big chage for the game anyway, and if the game is as strong as it is now, it will take a lot of planning
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #782 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05 »
    so to go into things further

in 2017 we will at last call have WT teams of 16 and 24 riders, they will have a 8 rider Devo team ( there maybe room if a rider is injuried for a devo rider to ride in the senor team )

So the average of those 16 will be higher I think but less riders, also the rider numbers racing will be less, ie teams of 6 and 8

I can see 2 ways of going about this in 2017

1. Teams of 24 riders at whatever the average is, might be close to 8000 points, but the races will change and therefore points will as well, some will drop from being WT etc etc  , basically same set up as now

2. and this is the one I like We have a combine of what we know as the main and Youth game , ie we have 24 riders @ x , where x = the average WT team points and 8 youth riders @ somewhere around 1000 points

It then become much more complex, but it combines the games, I would then like a womens CQ game to take place of the youth, I am excel stupid but I could get the players  ;) if people want to set it up

ps Skids or MC if you want tocopy and paste these over at the Pit go for it

• ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #783 on: November 15, 2014, 14:51 »

I'm not sure potential UCI race calender/team size changes means the game HAS to change.  there will still be races and there will still be CQ points awarded - that's all we need.

As it is our 33 man roster breaks the current regs.

As for splitting the points between main teams and devo/youth riders - there is already a cross over between the main and youth game for young riders being picked in both. so I dont see that the youth game has to disappear.  I would avoid being prescriptive about the number of points and riders being split between the two sets of riders.  Lots of times it could be arbitrary where a rider ends up, two riders with the same age/characteristics one of which is in an UCI team and the other is still in a devo team. 

There is already an incentive to select young riders, as they can make big returns, but point and rider limits means there a two more factors that can make a team invalid - so more difficult to select a team in budget and fitting the rules and also increases the chances that skidmark will have to tell people to resubmit teams.  It also means we lose the simplicity that can make new players interested and eager to play.

AC is keen on a womens game, but there was something stopping him - maybe it was that CQ dont do a regular download (edit - they only did 6 this year).
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #784 on: November 15, 2014, 15:12 »
    Not saying it HAS to change suggesting 2017 if there is a change in team make up.

it really would not be hard to have 2 points available  24 at X points and 8 riders in devo Teams or under x age worth y points,  not really that complex.

in certain years due to the way the races are raced a certain formula wins, many old heads work close to the same formula,  this year was not,  but my idea may make the formula hard to find.

remember it is just a suggestion
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #785 on: November 15, 2014, 15:30 »
    Not saying it HAS to change suggesting 2017 if there is a change in team make up.

it really would not be hard to have 2 points available  24 at X points and 8 riders in devo Teams or under x age worth y points,  not really that complex.

in certain years due to the way the races are raced a certain formula wins, many old heads work close to the same formula,  this year was not,  but my idea may make the formula hard to find.

remember it is just a suggestion

Well it doubles the complexity.  we all know how difficult it is to get the team we want in the budget, that would be doubled.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4582
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #786 on: November 15, 2014, 18:31 »
    The thing is with increased points, at no point during team selections have I thought "I wish I had an extra 500/1000 points to get Rider X". If anything it's been the opposite. I get more fun out of searching out the cheap gambles, so sometimes I've had to pick expensive guys I'm not that keen on to use up the budget (Villella for the youth game would be an example).

So I say decrease the budget in these recessionary times!! 7000 here we come.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5655
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #787 on: November 16, 2014, 10:30 »
    The thing is with increased points, at no point during team selections have I thought "I wish I had an extra 500/1000 points to get Rider X". If anything it's been the opposite. I get more fun out of searching out the cheap gambles, so sometimes I've had to pick expensive guys I'm not that keen on to use up the budget (Villella for the youth game would be an example).
    First I hit 'like', then I read the last sentence:
    So I say decrease the budget in these recessionary times!! 7000 here we come.  :P
    That's taking it a bit too far ...
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1848
    « Reply #788 on: November 16, 2014, 15:49 »
    so to go into things further .. I would then like a womens CQ game to take place of the youth, I am excel stupid but I could get the players  ;) if people want to set it up

I have thought about a women's game, but the guys at CQ only publish a downloadable spreadsheet about 5 or 6 times a year.  I did e-mail them to ask if a more regular update might be made available, but no response.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #789 on: November 16, 2014, 15:53 »
    I have thought about a women's game, but the guys at CQ only publish a downloadable spreadsheet about 5 or 6 times a year.  I did e-mail them to ask if a more regular update might be made available, but no response.

let me know if it happens and I will get some players
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4582
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #790 on: November 16, 2014, 20:39 »
    I've tweeted them about it too. If they did an update every month (four weeks) would that make a game possible?
  • ReplyReply

• JeroenK

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 7
    « Reply #791 on: November 24, 2014, 14:54 »

I'll ask what the're planning to do in 2015 this saturday. Meeting a couple of them.
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #792 on: November 24, 2014, 15:16 »
    I'll ask what the're planning to do in 2015 this saturday. Meeting a couple of them.

:cool

Be sure to invite them to submit teams!
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    « Reply #793 on: November 24, 2014, 18:34 »
    :cool

Be sure to invite them to submit teams!

That would be great, but we might need to check that they are not massaging the figures for their unique picks  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    « Reply #794 on: November 24, 2014, 18:36 »

Assure them of our gratitude for their amazing resource.
  • ReplyReply

• JeroenK

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 7
    « Reply #795 on: November 25, 2014, 07:28 »
    Assure them of our gratitude for their amazing resource.

I will, and you're welcome ;)
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 626
    • Awards: 2015 Youth CQ Ranking Game Champion2012 CQ Ranking Game Champion
    « Reply #796 on: November 27, 2014, 22:44 »
    Hi all, pardon my absence, I've been taking a bit of a break for some 'life' stuff. I appreciate the responses. It's definitely too late to make any changes to the game for this year (I'm conscious of the fact that my own longlist would affect the way I think about team budgets for next year), but I'm also hearing that many people like the current amount of points.

I'm on board with JSG - any changes will be discussed next year and any announcement would be mid-year so people have plenty of time to prepare. I'm of the mindset that maybe there should be a separate thread once the season is up and running next year, and once any reform plan has been announced, to see what people feel like. This game is only loosely based on the requirements of a WT team, so we don't necessarily have to react to a reformed schedule, and in fact CQ will probably adjust their rankings to reflect any changes, so we don't necessarily have to adjust at all as that would be a double-adjustment. Either way, let's talk about it next year!

With regards to next season, the new thread will be up about a month before the Aussie Nationals, giving people plenty of time to submit a team. I just have to get my ducks in a row - my goal is to get it up by December 10th. Keep your eyes on this forum.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5655
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #797 on: November 27, 2014, 22:50 »
    I'm on board with JSG - any changes will be discussed next year and any announcement would be mid-year so people have plenty of time to prepare. I'm of the mindset that maybe there should be a separate thread once the season is up and running next year, and once any reform plan has been announced, to see what people feel like. This game is only loosely based on the requirements of a WT team, so we don't necessarily have to react to a reformed schedule, and in fact CQ will probably adjust their rankings to reflect any changes, so we don't necessarily have to adjust at all as that would be a double-adjustment. Either way, let's talk about it next year!
    Sounds like a much better plan than what the UCI has. :D
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 626
    • Awards: 2015 Youth CQ Ranking Game Champion2012 CQ Ranking Game Champion
    « Reply #798 on: December 10, 2014, 23:01 »
    Hi guys, just touching base to let you know that the new thread for 2015 will be up and ready in about a week. I'm just on vacation right now and will be home in a week, so I've decided to wait until I'm home to start it up since I'll be better able to process early entries, will have time to get all the scores for dopers, etc. In the meantime, I appreciate all the feedback. If you already have your team picked, hold onto it for just a bit longer, and please feel free to start hyping the game to anyone and everyone. 150 teams was great this year, and the more the merrier.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1263
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #799 on: December 10, 2014, 23:34 »
    My team:

Visconti
    Rojas
    Marcato
    Nibali
    Aru
    Ulissi
    Kreuziger
    Pozzato
    Scarponi