collapse

skidmark

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 631
  • Awards: 2015 Youth CQ Ranking Game Champion2012 CQ Ranking Game Champion
The 2014 CQ Ranking Manager Thread
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:19 »
Three years ago, on December 8th 2010, poster Hugo Koblet modestly suggested a fantasy cycling game based on the website cqranking.com and its comprehensive numerical rankings of riders. The simplicity of the rules (you had to build a PT-sized team based on 7500 CQ points for the previous year, a somewhat average amount for teams, and get the highest score at the end of the year) combined with the complexity of choosing a team, plus of course the thrill of following your team all year, caught on like wildfire. What was originally meant to be a 25-team max competition that Hugo reserved the right to cancel if there was lack of interest became the most successful game in cyclingnews forum history.

The first year, 2011, saw 87 participants and was won in dominant fashion by ingsve, who had declared boldly in his signature that he would win from the start. The second year, 2012, saw increased interest, and out of 129 participants, yours truly had the perfect combination of good choices and luck and won in similarly dominant fashion (there was no signature, but I can assure you I thought I’d win at the start of the year, but I have every year, so 1/3 ain’t bad). The third year, 2013, was more wide open than ever, with conventional/popular picks underperforming and more opportunity for a variety of teams to take top place. There were ties for the lead, back-and-forths etc, but in the end, out of 132 teams, SteelyDan came out slightly on top of GeraintTooFast after the pre-ordained end of the season, the Tour of Taihu Lake (the last 2.1-or-above ranked race of the season). A 20 point difference on 13094 points is only a 0.15% difference. In fact, the top 4 were separated by only 270 points, or 2%.

The fact that the second-place finisher pulled out enough extra points after the official end of the game to overtake the winner has led to some rethinking of a few rules, which we’ll get to below.

Just a note, for those who aren’t aware, Hugo is increasingly busy and stated he wouldn’t have time to run the game this year, and so a few of us volunteered to put it together. I just want to acknowledge the great contributions of poster mc_mountain; the two of us have discussed every detail of putting this together, and he has done a ton of work on the excel files etc; he is running the CQ Youth game which is his brainchild, and so for simplicity’s sake we decided I would ‘run’ this one. I certainly can’t let his legwork go unacknowledged.

Anyway, that’s enough preamble. Let’s go through the more comprehensive set of rules:

Basics

The game is based on the point system developed by the website www.cqranking.com. Based on this system you will have to select a team of between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points. 7500 points is a little bit under the average for the ProTour teams whose average for 2013 is 8014. 7500 is roughly equivalent to the amount of points AG2R made this season, the 11th ranked of the 19 WT teams.

Your aim then is to select a team of riders who will increase their 2013 score the most during the 2014 season. The winner of the game is the one who has selected the team with the highest combined value when the game ends.

1. How the game works

1.1. Duration
The season starts when the first race is held (which I believe is the Aussie National TT Championships on January 8th) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race is out. **New rule: any of the top 15 teams have the right to submit for an extension to the season before the end of the last major race. If no teams do so by that time, the season will end at the time stated above.** This rule will hopefully allow us to preserve suspense while ending the season at a time before the outcome becomes an anticlimax.

1.2. Updates

Each week we will publish an update with a top 10 and a list of the high scorers and high jumpers. This will sometimes be by me, and sometimes by others - we have set a tentative schedule based on volunteers.

2. On doping

2.1. On ex-dopers

All riders are available to choose; however, riders who have been suspended for doping and had that affect their 2013 score will not be available simply for their 2013 score. Instead, a rider’s value will be equivalent to that of his last full season; or, if he has more recently had a (not full, due to suspension) season in which he has earned more points, that season represents his value.

Therefore, you can pick any rider you like, but if you want to take Danilo Di Luca, he won’t cost the 40 points he earned in 2013 (after his points were taken away once his suspension was confirmed), he’ll cost the 666 points he earned in 2012.

Of course, you probably won’t pick a rider suspended for life. A more realistic example would be Giovanni Visconti. He was suspended for his links to Ferrari in the offseason of 2012, until January 7th 2013. This nullifies both his 2012 and 2013 scores from being eligible for this game. So instead of costing 430 or 687 points, he costs his 2011 score of 1282 points.

There are no obvious examples of riders who earned more in a recent season affected by doping suspension (like Pozzato last year or Costa the year before) who would therefore have the second part of the doping rule enacted, but I will let you know if any of your submissions fall into this category.

2.2. Riders getting caught during the season

If you include a rider in your team who gets caught with his hands in the cookie jar, nothing happens right away. Your rider keeps his points unless the cqranking.com deletes his results before the end of the game.

Basically, the value of a rider on cqranking.com always stands.

3. Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?
You pick between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points and send the list to me.

As I will manually have to include the teams into the Microsoft Excel file which keeps track of the scores, please be careful that you send your team to me based on the correct formula. I don’t take any responsibility for any error you might make. If I spot an error I will do my best to contact you but I can’t guarantee anything. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to ask either here in this thread or by sending a personal message.

The layout you need to use is this:

DI LUCA Danilo
VISCONTI Giovanni
Etc.

Nothing else. No points after the name. Also, be careful that there is no “space” after the name, because I will have to delete it manually.

To make things easier for both you and me I will link to a file for you to download in which you can type in your team and it will automatically show you the value of each rider as well as the aggregated value of your team. Then you will just have to copy your team (names only) directly from this file and send it to me.

Hopefully this clears any misunderstandings of a rider’s value as well as reduces the number of errors made in a team sent to me.

3.2. When do I?

The first race of the season will start January 8, so I want to have your team in hand on January 6 at the latest. The deadline is 12AM (CET) January 6th, so a little later in the day for Aussies and sometime on January 5th for North Americans. ***note: you can make changes to your team up to the deadline, even if you submit it now; however, from a data entry perspective, I'd prefer if you submitted a team that was finalized unless something drastic (injury, suspension, etc) happens. So keep that in mind when submitting - don't just submit a 'rough draft' and then make tons of changes, please.***

Please note that even though it feels as though the season is over, it’s actually not. There are still racing to be done and CQ points to be handed out that could affect the value of a rider you have picked. In the last week before this post, there have been the African championships and the recalculating of some Giro stages to account for Di Luca’s suspension. Be mindful of these changes.

cqranking.com usually uploads the final update of the season on December 31, and the values in this update are the ones we’re using. However, the changes are usually very small so there’s no reason why you can’t start selecting your team already today!

3.3 When Do You, skidmark, Submit Your Team?

After some discussion on the 2013 thread, it was decided that I would submit a provisional team of 20 'for sure' riders, with a longer list of potential riders to fill out my team. This is due to my strong preference to work on my team until the last minute; my record in this game as well as my word should hopefully suffice to quell worries that I will get some kind of advantage from processing others' teams. **note: I've already sent my provisional team in; thanks to JSG.**

Create Your Team

Hugo created a very helpful file last year, referred to above, that helps avoid any errors in calculation and helps ensure you are formatting your rider names correctly. I would encourage everyone to use this option, especially if you are not confident in your spreadsheet creating skills. Click on the following link to create your team, then copy and paste the rider names to send to me by PM once you have it correct. Thank you.

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/er4jvbzlr5pc33y/Create%20Your%20Team.xls

I think that about covers everything. If you have any questions or if I forgot to add or explain anything, please let me know.

Have fun and remember to visit www.cqranking.com! Without their great work it wouldn’t be possible to have this game.

**note: this game is also being run through cyclingnews.com forums, and you can submit a team to me through either here or there. Updates will also be posted to both places.**
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 21:09 by skidmark »

skidmark

• Neo Pro
    Re: The 2014 CQ Ranking Manager Thread
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:20 »
     This post is reserved to list submitted teams as they come in, as well as to list links to updates in the main thread as they are posted so that one does not have to hunt through umpteen pages to find them.

If you have submitted a team recently and don't see it appear within 24 hours, please message me to see what is up.

The following 149 teams are the full lineup of participants for this game:

----AG----
    ---Dim---
    *Falze*
    18-Valve. (pithy)
    Açordas_Team
    adamski101
    Afrank
    al_pacino
    ansimi
    archieboy
    Armchair cyclist
    asdfgh101
    auto de fé
    badbrainaj
    Bellsax
    Ben1376
    bicing
    Bicycle_Boy
    Blues in the bottle
    cj2002
    coinneach
    comodoro
    CQmanager
    CraZyCaLL
    Crevaison
    Cyivel
    Cykeltyven
    del1962
    derrudi
    DJ Sprtsch
    EvansIsTheBest
    Eyeballs Out
    fauniera
    Ferminal
    fraserhughes
    freshman
    Froome19
    Fus87
    Geraint Too Fast
    GP Blanco
    greenedge
    Grimm
    gustienordic
    Handbrake
    HelgeBlendet
    highoctane
    hilltopfinisher
    Hugo Koblet
    Hugo87
    IlPirata92
    ingsve
    ironsscally
    ironted
    ItalianGigolo
    Jakob747
    Jancouver
    jeroenk
    Josedin
    Jpettersen
    jsem94
    just some guy
    karaev
    karlboss
    Kazistuta
    keithjamesmc
    kiilike
    King Of The Worlds
    knallertjeblaf
    LaFlorecita
    Lamme_Frans
    Leadbelly
    lenissart
    LightBing
    Londonpat
    Lortnoc
    Ludwigzgz
    Maaaaaaaarten
    MADRAZO
    Manafana
    Martin
    martinaagard
    mc_mountain
    MCardinalR
    Mellow Velo
    merengues
    Milanello
    minessa
    mutschi
    NairoQ
    Netserk
    Nicosix
    nunomelo
    Object
    olafjt
    Oliveira
    olopaine
    Panda Claws
    Pentacycle
    petaldo
    PeterB
    Popchu
    R_O_Shipman
    ray200
    Reno
    riaroadtrip
    Roderick
    Ruudz0r
    Ruvu75
    rywann
    SamJourno
    search
    shalgo
    Side_Shadow
    simple
    Skibby the bush kangaroo
    skidmark
    Slow_Rider
    Sneekes
    Somar13
    SteelyDan
    sublimit
    tanja
    Team_Roubaix
    TeoSheva
    The Amateur
    the asian
    The Hitch
    the_fool_on_the_hill
    the_sceptic
    theyoungest
    Tigerion
    tomazo
    Total Package
    trotters aotearoa
    Trudgin
    Tuarts
    uspostal
    VeloRooms
    vladimir
    waleweter
    Wallenquist
    will10
    wizard_of_oz
    WonderLance
    Yellow Knight
    yoyokt
    Zam_Olyas
    zlev11
    Zuremelk
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 20:04 by skidmark »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10759
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:15 »
    Hi Skidmark :welcome to Velorooms.

you might notice the CQ discussions for 2014 have been on going a few months here so your inbox should get a workout.

let me know if you need any admin type help

if fact will send in a team now I think  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9062
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:32 »
    me too, stupid cq, don't want to think about this anymore  :angry

the link to the dropbox is not working btw, skidmark

Edit: this one

edit: flipping hell, I was working with a 32 rider sheet all the time, off to find #33 now... :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:59 by just some guy, Reason: fixing link »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:00 »
    me too, stupid cq, don't want to think about this anymore  :angry

the link to the dropbox is not working btw, skidmark

Edit: this one

edit: flipping hell, I was working with a 32 rider sheet all the time, off to find #33 now... :fp

fixed the link in Skidmarks post fwiw
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:02 »
    So we can pick suspended riders?

Now I just have to remember who I liked.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9062
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22 »
    propably Valjavec, but he retired
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22 »
    As Search and Arbs have pointed out in the chat

Di Luca points are gone now so some riders will have more points, cq ranking is updated but the download is not upto date

I went from 7497 to 7500 , well I hope so
  • ReplyReply

• 18-Valve

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 28
    • Awards: 2016 Giro CQ game winner
    « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:48 »
    As Search and Arbs have pointed out in the chat

Di Luca points are gone now so some riders will have more points, cq ranking is updated but the download is not upto date

I went from 7497 to 7500 , well I hope so

Ryder and Juanjo wil set you back 3 points, yes.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3837
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:49 »

:welcome
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:51 »

hi 18 Valve :welcome

Ryder is 1 point more expensive Juanjo not sure
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4883
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 10:48 »
    Let's just hope that Santa's case isn't resolved before the start of the game, or his redistributed 822 points could cause mayhem.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• 18-Valve

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 11:39 »
    hi 18 Valve :welcome

Ryder is 1 point more expensive Juanjo not sure

Serves me right ...and thanks for the welcome. LaFlo, as well. 

You're right, both riders are only one point more expensive.  I'm not sold on Cobo yet, either. Not because I think that he won't make a decent profit, but because I'm not sure yet on how my team will turn out. Mid-price, top heavy or somewhere in between. If I go the top heavy route, which seems to have worked for the top teams last year, with Sagan, Cav and others (Gilbert not so much....) I probably won't pick him.

• ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 11:47 »
    flip Juanjo puts me over again.

My random Kazakh may have to go.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:01 »
    Serves me right ...and thanks for the welcome. LaFlo, as well. 

You're right, both riders are only one point more expensive.  I'm not sold on Cobo yet, either. Not because I think that he won't make a decent profit, but because I'm not sure yet on how my team will turn out. Mid-price, top heavy or somewhere in between. If I go the top heavy route, which seems to have worked for the top teams last year, with Sagan, Cav and others (Gilbert not so much....) I probably won't pick him.

I have gone a different route mostly fanboy picks with a few fill ins

ie Andy and TB

have ended up with a lot of *au and *co riders though  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 12:27 »
    mc sent me the updated drop box so have updated the OP of Skidmarks
  • ReplyReply

• 18-Valve

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 12:32 »
    I have gone a different route mostly fanboy picks with a few fill ins

ie Andy and TB

have ended up with a lot of *au and *co riders though  :D

Yeah, my current favorite team is almost entirely made up of  Aussies, Colombians, Italians and Brits. Plus a few all too obvious picks.  Not sold on some of the cheaper riders, though. I could ditch Anacona, for instance. One slightly controversial rider I am still considering is Sir Wiggins. I'm waiting for his schedule to be announced, pretty much.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 12:38 »
    dam my team ended up over with the lastest sorry skidmark will send in the change
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 18:01 »
    Thanks for the corrected link, JSG and MC, I'm gonna make the change in the cyclingnews thread too. And yeah, I've seen some of the discussion here re: the game, and so I'm pleased to receive some teams already. Some people have mentioned to me that they're gonna tweet about the game etc; I'd certainly encourage anyone who wants to to promote the game, through tweets, forums, telling friends, etc. The more the better!
  • ReplyReply

• Tanja

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 19
    « Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 21:02 »
    Hi, thanks for this!

I have my team almost complete, but should I wait until the deadline before sending it if I want to make changes on my team?
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 21:10 »
    Hi, thanks for this!

I have my team almost complete, but should I wait until the deadline before sending it if I want to make changes on my team?

you can submit now, and make changes later - but if you know already you might make changes its probably worth waiting til you are sure of your team.
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 21:11 »
    Hi, thanks for this!

yep I sent mine into today as I keep making changes and then re thinking be done with it I thought then DiLuca lost his points  :angry
  • ReplyReply

• Tanja

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 21:27 »
    Thanks both! :)

I'm thinking more if someone gets injured etc. ,  don't want to make unnecessary work for the people doing this, I'll send it after New Year then, should've made my mind up too by then
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 21:30 »
    Hi, thanks for this!

Pretty much what MC said. While people are certainly allowed to make changes up until the deadline, from a data entry perspective I'd like to encourage people to only submit a team when they're sure they're confident in it going forward, and reserve changes for events like new information on injury, suspension, dramatic changes in team role/schedule, etc. If you simply have a rough draft, I'd encourage you to keep it to yourself until it is more certain.
  • ReplyReply

• Tanja

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 21:37 »
    Pretty much what MC said. While people are certainly allowed to make changes up until the deadline, from a data entry perspective I'd like to encourage people to only submit a team when they're sure they're confident in it going forward, and reserve changes for events like new information on injury, suspension, dramatic changes in team role/schedule, etc. If you simply have a rough draft, I'd encourage you to keep it to yourself until it is more certain.

Thanks, thought so too.
    Will wait 'til I send mine, thanks so much for doing this! :)
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54 »
    Thanks, thought so too.
    Will wait 'til I send mine, thanks so much for doing this! :)

and spread the word.

This is easily the most knowledge based cycling game out there, (except for some of the subversions eg youth). Pretenders need not apply
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 07:57 »
    Seems I have gone down the COL & AUS route too... added DUARTE who I originally dismissed in an instant, although in a three way deal with a couple of Drapacs in, Anacona and my two uniques out, so I'm not really happy. Drapac were hyping Shizenmeyer though so felt I should pick him.

Though I could easily swap DUARTE for WURF or SICARD...

Something tells me I will be changing again.

Especially considering Ballan is still there... Well if he's out it's another Colombian.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24 »
    Seems to be *co and *au theme this year, would be interesting to know if certain countries get more percentage in certain years.

due to the killer change one of my *it riders got swapped for another *co and if santa causes mayhem the *co will go for *au rider :fp

watching the will walker vid yesterday I almost wanted to put him in, but as search said I also need to stop cq thinking and tinkering. Unless coni and cq force my hand.

nice to see 1st 4 teams are from VR  I think we have 4 or 5 twitter people getting teams in, wonder if we get to 200 teams , I will be proud of coming 96th
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 22:05 »
    and spread the word.

This is easily the most knowledge based cycling game out there, (except for some of the subversions eg youth). Pretenders need not apply

No no, pretenders please apply! The field is getting smarter every year, and those of us with 3 years experience need to feel good by bettering someone, at least!

On a separate note, first 5 teams now from velorooms. And I love that whenever I've come by here in the last 2 days, all I see on the chat scrollbar is talk of CQ picks. Cyclingnews may get more traffic, but people feel like fans here.
  • ReplyReply

• 18-Valve

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59 »
    No no, pretenders please apply! The field is getting smarter every year, and those of us with 3 years experience need to feel good by bettering someone, at least!

On a separate note, first 5 teams now from velorooms. And I love that whenever I've come by here in the last 2 days, all I see on the chat scrollbar is talk of CQ picks. Cyclingnews may get more traffic, but people feel like fans here.

Is there any evidence that 2013 had the smartest field? I'm genuinely curious, as it didn't look like it to me. There were probably too many picks that turned out to be weak or mediocre, also in the de-facto top teams. When you compare that to what was possible with unpopular picks such as Chris "tailwind" Froome and Richie Porte, I don't know.

I'd certainly welcome having a much bigger field, though, especially if (more) people from within pro cycling join. What do you all think are the best (least intrusive) ways to get more people to join?

• ReplyReply

•