froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2048
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Re: The 2014 CQ Ranking Manager Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2014, 21:34 »
Doing same as Skidmark here...

Well my riders...

BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto: I have given my reasoning a number of times. But simply, a very promising rider with amazing potential who can excel in the Ardennes, week long races and in GTs. He didn't pitch up after the Giro last year and so if he can race an entire season this year he should definitely improve his points. He is also doing the Tour this year and so hopefully that will result in a more balanced season. I hoe he has learn how to TT as he would have finished 2nd in the Giro if not for his howler of a TT.

BOASSON HAGEN Edvald: Look at his points scoring potential and he is a no-brainer. He had to abandon the Tour last year and he won't be doing it this year most likely, freeing up a good chunk of the year for points scoring. He has also scrapped the classics buildup recommended by Kerrison and hopefully the more conventional method will allow him to build up well for the classics. His classics results certainly can't get any worse and going on his Cq graph there is only one direction his scores will be heading.

Stybar Zdenek: Not really, my favourite pick. I am a definiely a fanboy, but logically I think he is a tad too expensive. However, I found myself with 600 spare at the end and so in he went, as I cba to change around my team. He has got amazing potential and can definitely have a better classics season that last year. I am not sure if he will be able to challenge in races like Amstel and the Canadian races, but the potential is definitely there.

Phinney Taylor: Also written about him above. So will keep it brief. Exceptionally talented 'apparently'. Also only 23, a lot more to come from him imo.

Durbridge Luke: Also a very talented rider. After a brief dip in his 2nd year as a pro. I see this year as his time to step up to the big time, especially considering his first year Pro cq score. I hope he gets a good race program, but he definitely could be one of my more disappointing picks if he doesn't find ihs rhythm this year.

SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon: Briefly hesitated, when I noted him back in the peloton, but not for long. So much points scoring ability and CR will give him a very good racing schedule.

Moser Moreno: Also 2nd year teething problems, but undoubted ability and I and many others, seem to think he is now ready to step up.

VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen: Never liked him as a rider, but I never really had a choice of picking him or leaving him out. You can't leave out a rider of his calibre.

POELS Wout: He has had his fair share of problems and there won't be that many opportunities on the OPQS team, but he is a class rider who will hopefully rediscover his way after his horror Tour crash of 2012.

Hesjedal Ryder: Too much pedigree to leave out. More of an insurance rider, he could very definitely score big and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. He obviously had a mare at the Giro, but his ride in Liege for Dan Martin was one of the best domestique performances of the year and I don't think he has lost his touch just yet.

Aru Fabio: A terrific talent. I liked what one poster said above, if you don't believe it, just watch him this year. On a climber laden Astana team, but talent like this can't be left out.

Goss Matthew: Obviously regressing. But I find it hard to see him getting worse that last year and he does it have it in him to score a hefty amount, if can go back to his 2011 ways. And best of all, you can't really ignore a sprinter at that price, when he is the leader of a team packed with rouleurs and sprinters.

Hoogerland Johnny: He had a hard time last year and should be back with aplomb. The Italian calendar should suit him and there is the potential there for a tonne of points. And the Androni vibe should suit him, I almost feel like it was a homecoming for him.

Yates Simon: Very talented rider. I am not sure just how talented, but I didn't want to risk it. His track performances early in February where he became Points WC convinced me and if not for one or two poor days in Avenir he could have finished higher than 10th.

COPPEL Jérôme: I found it hard to get much info about him, but I went onto his website, and it seemed like he had a real tough time last season and should be back this year. Of course his crash in the Tour was a big factor, it was the climax of his season. He can do well as leader of Cofidis and is still young and improving.

Morton Lachlan: Vaughters propaganda seems to have worked. From all I hear he is immensely talented and his performances in Colorado and other hints makes me very excited for this year.

Swift Ben: A bit of an underwhelming pick, but a craft one imo. He had a horrid year this year with injury, and whilst he won't be anywhere near the top of Sky's priority list. He will be their primary sprinter in most stage races and if he stays fit he should double if not triple his score.

De Gendt Thomas: A rider who is a bit of a conundrum. Claims he had a knee injury, and whatever the reason for his dismal year, he is definitely better than his 2013 results suggested. He won't get many chances to lead at OPQS, but he won't need many to make a good enough return.

Boonen Tom: Obviously

Howson Damien: Should be a golden rule, always pick the U23 ITT WC. Nevermind he posted some terrific results all the way through the year and will be racing on a perfect team for him in OGRE.

KRUIJSWIJK Steven: I so very nearly missed him. On the last day before the deadline, I saw him in another poster's team. Checked him up and realised he had some serious problems this year. He should be back this year and from previous year, can give a good return.

DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres: Didn't have a great year, but is the leader of Coldeportes and is also immensely talented. Not to mention his Giro performances were very heartening. He just needs a bit more discipline and consistency, but lets home that comes with age.

Ewan Caleb: Lots been said about him, too much talent to leave out.

Schleck Andy: Could score big, probably won't, but still will make a profit.

Dombrowski Joseph Lloyd: He should have had a storming year last year, it took him a year to adjust to life in the pro ranks, but he should be raring to go this year and he could score big, especially if Sky keep him on a similar schedule to this year where he could get quite a few opportunities to ride for himself.

Vanendert Jelle: A very good rider potentially. Has had serious health problems, lets hope they are a thing of the past.

Zordan Andrea: Indeed, a cut price version of Villella, lots of talent and a good sprint and climbing abilities.

Kessiakoff Fredrik: Was unlucky last year, won't have many opportunities riding in support of Nibali, and I don't think he will make much of a profit. But he is too good not to take for that price.

DI GREGORIO Rémy: Will race a full season on the French circuit and when I went looking for how much he could score, I found that there is a wealth of points available from the races LPM will be doing.

ANACONA GOMEZ Winner Andrew: Search doesn't see much in him, but he was impressive in his first GT at the Vuelta and I like taking riders from Lampre as they don't tend to have much leadership clashes. Definitely could turn out to be a climbing sensation, not sure if he will though.

Cattaneo Mattia: I stuck with him again this year. Had awful injuries, hopefully  he will finally show his talent.

Gerdemann Linus: No brainer, harsh luck that he was forced out of the peloton for a year.

CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban: I don't think he will score much this year as he will take a while to get back from his injury, but who wouldn't take a past Avenir winner for 0 points? (from 2 years ago.)

Guys who just missed out:
Dylan Van Baarle, Diego Rosa, Elissonde, Norman Hansen, Stuyven, D Van Poppel, Atapuma
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #241 on: January 13, 2014, 01:36 »
    sorry, the A-Z will be in the one of the tool bars at the top rather than in the column... (i'm in openoffice as it happens)

I'm in openoffice too, but I think it's the same as excel... I click the column heading (like 'A', 'B', etc) to highlight the whole column, then from the top bar I select Data>Sort and click 'expand current selection' on the prompt (otherwise it will just sort the column and the other columns of associated data will be out of whack)... should allow you to choose to sort in ascending or descending order.

Thanks to both, got it working now.

For me, most matches with mc_mountain (20), Then Flo and Wallenquist (18), then Froome19, tomazo, olopaine, riaroadtrip, Hitch, the_sceptic (17).

Least with Side_Shadow at 1.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 818
    • Contador, Sagan, Purito, Paolini et all
    • Awards: 3rd place after Tour Down Under in Official Prediction Game ;PVelogames Giro Winner 2015
    « Reply #242 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05 »
    Folks, Is there a way to access the spreadsheet without using the dropbox... i cannot access this at work due to firewalls :angry :(
  • ReplyReply
  • I love Italian cycling, well cyclists & the odd Spaniard, oh & that 1 particular Slovakian  then there are those with names  that are great fun - zzzdnek steeeebar & Tieeeeeeeesj Benoooot

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #243 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30 »
    Drop me a PM, Trudg... I don't mind to email it across if you have an account capable of taking 5MB attachments (I know Gmail would be fine, and I presume Outlook/Hotmail as well. It tends to be corporate servers that struggle).

Meanwhile - my season is off to a flyer with a massive 0 points from the Nationals down under. I'm hoping for something special from Linus this week, that's for sure!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Trudgin

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 3rd place after Tour Down Under in Official Prediction Game ;PVelogames Giro Winner 2015
    « Reply #244 on: January 13, 2014, 09:46 »
    Thnks.. Ive sent pm....
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11168
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #245 on: January 13, 2014, 09:52 »
    Folks, Is there a way to access the spreadsheet without using the dropbox... i cannot access this at work due to firewalls :angry :(

tried to up load direct file too big, will ask dim to load to server
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #246 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58 »
    Thanks
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #247 on: January 13, 2014, 10:01 »
    I've got it Cj2002 managed to send it thru.. Thanks folks
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #248 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27 »
    For those who went Cobo ---- > #torku ------- > tour of turkey------ > profit.

best look at the teams race programs they are not riding turkey
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13036
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #249 on: January 13, 2014, 11:31 »
    meh, need to win Quinghai Lake then, but the competition will be more severe of course
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #250 on: January 13, 2014, 11:33 »
    For those who went Cobo ---- > #torku ------- > tour of turkey------ > profit.

best look at the teams race programs they are not riding turkey

Apparently Tour of Turkey aren't accepting any teams without a Biopassport. Which means no Conti teams at all?

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/422674300152582144
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #251 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46 »
    Apparently Tour of Turkey aren't accepting any teams without a Biopassport. Which means no Conti teams at all?

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/422674300152582144

Correct
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13036
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #252 on: January 13, 2014, 11:47 »

propably not, but in 2013 they did not invite any other continental teams anyway
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #253 on: January 13, 2014, 11:51 »
    tried to up load direct file too big, will ask dim to load to server

if needed in future use something like WinRAR and you can compress the file to under the size limit for attachments here.  Long term, maybe trudgin you can find a work related reason to receive something by Dropbox, and see if your IT bods will make a exception for it?
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7513
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #254 on: January 13, 2014, 13:39 »
    propably not, but in 2013 they did not invite any other continental teams anyway
    They couldn't even if they wanted to - as a Turkish HC race, they can only invite Turkish Conti teams.
    Until the rules are changed, of course.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #255 on: January 13, 2014, 13:42 »
    Dayer Quintana, no longer riding San Luis - first sign he is Ospina Mark II?

Apparently due to problems with his papers, will ride Mallorca instead...

link
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #256 on: January 13, 2014, 13:43 »
    Mine and many others 1st rider into profit

#mtn *de

linus Gerdemann

cope that wizard of oz ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4482
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #257 on: January 13, 2014, 14:06 »
    Nice, also 26 points for Lulu, 79 points total for me now ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #258 on: January 13, 2014, 14:09 »
    193 I think for me.

lulu is going to bite me on the ass I think.

will do my team run down tonight
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #259 on: January 13, 2014, 14:37 »
    I have 5 points so far courtesy of Simon Clark..      :cool
    But thats about it I think
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #260 on: January 13, 2014, 16:11 »

Lulu not leading the GC so only 20 points for him and only 73 total for me
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #261 on: January 13, 2014, 16:16 »
    ok my team which is a lot of riders I like, some I fanboy and few numbers and why I picked them

EVANS Cadel when I heard TDU - thought maybe the old dog has 1 more year in him, already 60 1 race, expect 1000-1200

GERRANS Simon was messing around with my team Arbs/Fermi and I were talking oz summer, Arbs brought up Gerro mate, thought him and Evans would give me a good start, Gerro maybe close to profit after the Hearld sun tour

VANMARCKE Sep Fanboy pick I hope wins a big one this year

PHINNEY Taylor Fanboy pick think he will learn from last year, will go hard at spring and then be back for the TDF and WC ITT

KÖNIG Leopold Wanted a NetAPP rider who would get constant points, think they will get a great calender this year

ROLLAND Pierre should go full retard this year again, Europcar need him to score big

BASSO Ivan Robo 1 more proper prep then retire

KISERLOVSKI Robert Fanboy pick and a obvious CQ game pick

ATAPUMA HURTADO Jhon Darwin Will ride a lot for TJVG but should be a good pick for Climbing stage points and GC at san luis and Cali

MOSER Moreno Obvious CQ game pick

VAN DEN BROECK JurgenObvious CQ game pick

ARU Fabio the next Forum Hype train after Quinn all aboard, plus should score well at the Giro

NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas Fanboy pick , Could be the Kristoff of the spring

OFFREDO Yoann  not sure I need to write anything here  ;) Fanboy

CLARKE Simon will be a solid ardennes and break rider , I expect hime to score well

MARKUS Barry Fanboy and needed another fast guy

LÖFKVIST Thomas Götland needs to show, but cheap will have a good program with #iam

HAYMAN Mathew will be the Spring of his career, let off the chain

MORTON Lachlan Fanboy expect him to make a loss

BOONEN Tom Obvious CQ game pick

KRUIJSWIJK Steven 2nd time I have had Steven, more hope than anything

BENNETT Sam Looked a bit of a good sort, expect him to go well just by giving it all

DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres Fanboy and going to asia should aid a profit

EWAN Caleb
    in all 3 of my team ie main , youth and emerging, Will be close to profit by Hearld-Sun tour

SCHLECK AndyObvious CQ game pick

DOCKER Mitchell Fanboy , plus most may not be aware Greenedge will have him as a leader quite a bit 2014

CLARKE William   :lol Fanboy should be profit TDU already on 26 points #thebeast

KESSIAKOFF FredrikObvious CQ game pick

ANACONA GOMEZ Winner Andrew 20 points who is to say no

GERDEMANN Linus Obvious CQ game pick  and in profit

CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan EstebanObvious CQ game pick

AUGUSTYN John-Lee old school fanboy pick never thought he would ride again at this level tbh

JOHNSON Benjamin 0 points hardman and wanted a Unique pick

I might lead for a week maybe not mid table here I come but have a team I like
  • ReplyReply

• skidmark

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 913
    • Awards: 2015 Youth CQ Ranking Game Champion2012 CQ Ranking Game Champion
    « Reply #262 on: January 13, 2014, 23:14 »
     Weekly Update #1: Aaaand we're off... to see the wizard of oz in first place!

Well, all the long lists, short lists, innuendo and veiled references to riders we might pick are now a distant memory, and the season has begun. The weekly and overall rankings are, of course, the same this week, and with the major races being the Australian TT and RR championships (as well as those of New Zealand and a couple of stages of the 2.2 Vuelta al Tachira), naturally the leaderboard is peppered with teams that have a good number of Australians. Here is the top 10, with points totals next to them:

1 wizard_of_oz 482
    2 greenedge 195
    3 just some guy 189
    4 WonderLance 155
    5 riaroadtrip 150
    5 Side_Shadow 150
    7 ItalianGigolo 140
    8 Tigerion 139
    9 hilltopfinisher 135
    10 mutschi 130

The mammoth points lead of wizard_of_oz is due to the fact that he/she has put forth an entirely Australian team, as the name might suggest. Points from Gerrans, Evans, Porte, Hepburn, Cam and Travis Meyer, Bobridge, Durbridge, Howson, O'Brien, Will and Simon Clarke, Dempster and Tanner mean that the wiz has 14 of the 50 riders that have scored ANY CQ points at all. So it's not a surprise that the team is in the lead.

Sadly, like his namesake, time might pull the curtain back to reveal the wizard's success as being massively amplified by the early season skew towards Australian riders accumulating CQ points. Recalling from memory, poster microdose had a massive lead from an all-Aussie team the first year of this game, but ended up somewhere around the bottom. Time will tell how well this antipodean fetish pays off. It's safe to say that if you want a shot at at least passing fame in the CQ game, you can probably achieve that by picking a bunch of Aussies.

Going further down the leader board, we find the in-no-way-does-my-name-suggest-Australian-leanings greenedge in second place with Gerrans, Howson, Hepburn and Von Hoff giving 195 points. Just Some Guy rounds out in third with Gerrans, Evans and both Clarkes. Honorable mention goes to game debutante WonderLance in fourth place with a team rife with riders who are, to paraphrase his description from his PM entering his team, 'anglo riders with names that are easier to pronounce'.

This week's top scorers and high movers obviously mimic the overall top 10, although you'll see on the spreadsheet that everyone but the wiz has moved down places, as we were all tied for first with zero points to start this thing. The 2.1 Tropicale Amissa Bongo is underway this week, as well as the continuing 2.2 Vuelta al Tachira, so teams with international riders should be able to play some catch-up.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/07v52z5oeb3zfmg/CQ%202014%20update%201.xls
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 17:31 by skidmark »

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #263 on: January 14, 2014, 06:37 »
    Jsg third :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #264 on: January 14, 2014, 06:45 »
    Jsg third :D

Hopefully 2nd next update.

greenedge does not have lulu or linus :)

lulu will be an issue for me getting top spot, but I have a great squad at tdu and san Luis,  so might still go ok
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #265 on: January 14, 2014, 07:18 »
    To lulu or not to lulu that was the question.

So I went not lulu, my reasoning was ......

I know he will score well, probably very well, but I am thinking the UCI might or another darkside issue put a stop to his season.

it was a gamble and as I said probably will bite me on the ass, but one I was willing to take. The funny thing is I assumed 90% of team would have him, seems only 48 out of 150 have lulu.

I do wonder if it will be something like, and the 1st non lulu team placed 39th is ..... :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #266 on: January 14, 2014, 09:40 »
    I am finally off the mark.... dont know where i got those 8 points but I'll take them with pleasure  :D :D
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #267 on: January 14, 2014, 09:41 »
    it was a gamble and as I said probably will bite me on the ass, but one I was willing to take. The funny thing is I assumed 90% of team would have him, seems only 48 out of 150 have lulu.

I do wonder if it will be something like, and the 1st non lulu team placed 39th is ..... :lol

Is LuLu not verging on a possible ban?
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 572
    « Reply #268 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51 »
    Not unless Caja Rural don't like him. But they wouldn't have signed him in that case.
  • ReplyReply

• Trudgin

• Road Captain
    « Reply #269 on: January 14, 2014, 13:26 »
    I did find it strange he got a ride when Samu's in the wings.. Oh well it must have been a dream
  • ReplyReply

•