collapse

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1396
The Katusha Thread
« on: December 11, 2013, 13:28 »
I couldn't find one so here we go:

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20131211/707084226.html

Spanish cycling star Joaquim Rodriguez will skip next year’s Tour de France because the route contains too many cobbled roads, and focus on the Giro d’Italia instead, the general manager of his Katusha team Viatcheslav Ekimov has told R-Sport.
Rodriguez, the 34-year-old veteran nicknamed "Purito," finished third at this year’s Tour, won by Britain’s Chris Froome, and was second in the Giro a year before.
“The Tour de France is not suitable for Purito. The northern part of the race takes place at the same places as Paris-Roubaix and it is quite unsuitable for him,” Ekimov said.
Paris-Roubaix is a one-day classic notorious for the difficulties posed by the cobblestones on its route, especially in causing falls and mechanical failure. Part of that route will feature in stage five of next year’s Tour.
With Rodriguez absent, Katusha will not focus on winning the Tour’s general classification and instead “place emphasis on winning stages and including ourselves in the hunt for the green jersey” for best sprinter, Ekimov said.
As for Rodriguez, “he will go to the Giro d’Italia,” Ekimov added

Hopes for an Aussie Giro victory are fading by the day...

I presume the Tour de France is Kristoff? I can't see him matching Kittel or Cav.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 16:53 by L'arri »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Re: The Katusha Thread
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 14:48 »
    I presume the Tour de France is Kristoff? I can't see him matching Kittel or Cav.

Could win the cobbles stage potentially though.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 20:37 »
    If they're splitting up Rodriguez and Moreno more often, the latter seems no more suitable for the Tour than the former.

I'm not aware of any big transfers to KAT so perhaps the team wants to give Spilak a chance to try for a respectable result on a 3-week GC. He's 27 and almost always does well in shorter stage races. Maybe time to try something more ambitious?

Stage win opportunities for everyone else, I suppose ...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5725
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:06 »
    You presume correctly:
    http://www.procycling.no/article3726302.ece

Quote from: Google Translate
    - If we travel to France without Rodriguez, opens opportunities for other riders. We'd rather towards winning the green points jersey and stage wins with Kristoff says Ekimov R-sport.

- It is really a vote of confidence when they say they will focus so hard on me in the biggest race during the season. I hope I manage to meet. I was near a stage victories this year, and it will be my main goal next year. But based Katjusja made ​​around me, I go for the green jersey of course, says Alexander Kristoff to procycling.no.

- If the team hopes that I'll take the green jersey, it must also troop build towards that goal. Then I have many strong riders around me. I am motivated for points competition, and I think it is possible to overcome it. Sagan was quite superb in years, so I have to take more points on harder stages next year. But I'm in good shape and some nicks strong than this year, it is real that I am fighting for the jersey, said Kristoff.

- What we may lack is a man with experience to manage a draw, riders Bernhard Eisel or Danilo Hondo. Had we had the experience in the team, we had been up there, but we work with what we have said Kristoff.

Paolini could theoretically perform that Eisel/Hondo role, but he has goals of his own, I guess.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10585
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 15:24 »
    Denis Menchov ended his career midway through the 2013 season but may now return to Katusha in a coaching role. The multiple grand tour winner has been approached by Viacheslav Ekimov, manager of the Russian team, and is currently considering his options.

Menchov to return to Katusha
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 15:59 »
    Right, because young riders could really benefit from tactical advice from Menchov :fp
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 16:02 »
    Maybe he'll teach them to crash when riding uphill - that has to be something they don't know how to do yet. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 16:46 »
    Me thinks that Weber fella going to Liquigas is bigger Katoooosha news. Is that confirmed yet?

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 16:49 »
    Me thinks that Weber fella going to Liquigas is bigger Katoooosha news. Is that confirmed yet?
    I don't think Cannondale would issue a press release and all that if it wasn't 100% sure.
    And Katusha now apparently considering to give Menchov a role almost exactly like the one Weber had is as much confirmation as we'll get from them that Weber has gone elsewhere.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 18:44 »

yep quotef from the man and everything
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 23:59 »
    Purito's objectives for 2014
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/exclusive-i-can-win-giro-and-vuelta-in-2014-says-rodriguez

- Giro
    - Vuelta
    - WC
    - LBL

He will probably finish 2nd in all four :D

Noted that the mood in the Katusha is better than at the end of 2012 when they didn't have a WT license.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 00:13 »
    It seems like Moreno and Purito will be split up more this year, with Moreno doing the Tour.
    Whilst they will overlap at the Ardennes, it will be beneficial for Katusha who will have more potential point scoring options and will be interesting to see how Moreno goes, because he always seems to manage to churn out results and now he has the chance to step out of Purito's shadow once and truly.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 00:37 »
    It seems like Moreno and Purito will be split up more this year, with Moreno doing the Tour.
    Whilst they will overlap at the Ardennes, it will be beneficial for Katusha who will have more potential point scoring options and will be interesting to see how Moreno goes, because he always seems to manage to churn out results and now he has the chance to step out of Purito's shadow once and truly.

I could see Moreno getting two stage wins at the tour maybe, however he will need to lose time on the cobbles if he wants to have the chance to be let lose by the GC riders. I could see him winning the same kind of stages as Costa did this year, maybe a short uphill finish instead of one of the breaks, if he doesn't lose time early it could be hard for him to be let lose sitting around 5th place. He could easily lose much time on the last ITT. Not sure what the best goal for him may be, GT and hope for stage win or Stage win and sacrifice GT.

I love the idea of splitting them up, as long as Purito can get decent support still. Maybe Spilak can take over for Moreno, that is what I would try if I was the team. Allow Spilak to ride all the races that Purito was riding and let him aid Rodriguez in his races. of cause still using Moreno for the most critical moments too, Lombardia and LBL. Purito could aid Spilak in Romandie as a motivator for Giro and Vuelta help to come if the duo rides that race.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 14:13 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodriguez-i-feel-im-in-my-second-youth

:win At least 3 more years of Purito :win Better than ever :win Giro and Vuelta for 2014 :win All good news :win
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 14:13 »
    It hasn't really been KAT's year so far, has it? If you told me last winter that Kristoff would be holding these guys together in terms of UCI points, I would have laughed in your daft face. But ...

One week stage races

Catalunya (1 stage and GC), Rodriguez
    Dauphiné (2 stages), Trofimov, Spilak

Classics

Wins: MSR, Kristoff

Giro

Stages: 0
    Best GC: 36th, Losada

Tour

Stages: 2 stages (Kristoff saved their bacon again)
    Best GC: 14th, Trofimov

Currently 7th in the WT rankings. Again, mostly thanks to Kristoff.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8853
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 15:45 »
    One week stage races

Catalunya (1 stage and GC), Rodriguez
    Dauphiné (2 stages), Trofimov, Spilak

ehh...

Pais Vasco: Spilak 4th
    Romandie: Spilak 2nd + stage win

:P
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 17:02 »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Purito and Moreno storm the Vuelta though.
    They could pick up four or so stages between them and feature in the GC..

But Katusha have never had a particularly strong team all round. Purito picked up nigh on half their WT points last year propelling them to a deceptively strong third position. Alongside Moreno he has been the team's carrier previously with Spilak and Kristoff weighing in. This year those two have had a poor season up to this point in time and lucky for them Kristoff has managed to compensate with some outstanding performances.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4696
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 09:16 »
    I wonder how Katusha feel the Russian Global Cycling Project is going? I was reminded of it when Trofimov got his win at the Dauphine - the first Russian Katusha win of the season in June (and the only one so far if we discount the Nats).

Just had a quick look at the Russian wins from the team since 2009 on PCS (discounting the Nats again).

2009 - 5
    2010 - 6
    2011 - 9
    2012 - 5
    2013 - 7
    2014 - 1

You'd think they'd be producing some more talent by this stage of the project's life or at least have a few youngsters in the pipeline that look like they could be stars.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 23:58 »
    http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/?page=news&cod=74514&tp=n

Interesting interview with Paolini, he aims to start the season strong (he currently already is doing a training camp with the team), likes the Via Roma finish of Milan Sanremo and hopes to be able to finish on the podium again, in case it turns out to a race for the opportunists. But he is nit necessarily aiming for many personal goals, he is also happy to work for the team.

His season is supposed to start in San Luis, then Qatar & Oman, Tirreno Adriatico, MSR and the northern classics, before taking a little break before the Giro. But as Katusha this year will not go to Argentina as early as usual (they'll leave 4 days before instead of 10) he might prefer to train in Europe instead.

Kristtoff will do the Giro & the Vuelta (so probably no Tour for him I guess), Katusha's leader for the Giro will be Trofimov
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 04:59 »
    Krisroff looking at Richmond I assume
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Domestique
    • Liked: 1040
    « Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 22:23 »
    *BUMP*  :angel

Just because they started the season so good.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4696
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 11:17 »
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/kolobnev-aparca-su-bicicleta-10-06-2015

Kolobnev taking a break from cycling, and not ruling out retirement.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 13:56 »
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/kolobnev-aparca-su-bicicleta-10-06-2015

Kolobnev taking a break from cycling, and not ruling out retirement.

I'm a bit surprised now that I hadn't noticed his absence at a time when he is often one of the most visible figures in the late Spring classics with all those (mostly ill-timed) attacks.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Domestique
    « Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 22:55 »
    Aleksander Kristoff's wife gave birth a son named Liam today, and reportedly all is well with mother and child. No reports about the state of Aleksander!  :P
    Fans congratulate the couple and brother Leo-who-don't-like-champagne and appreciate the rapid finish of young Liam. There was  always a risk that Kristoff could drop out Tour de France in favor of family events, now it seems his participation is confirmed.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 08:52 »
    Ilnur Zakarin talked to Velo-Club.net and boy is he dull:

"All I can say is that, when I arrived at Katusha, at WT level, I wanted some good results because I felt ready. For sure though, I didn't expect results as good as those. Winning the Tour de Romandie or that stage of the Giro, yes those were a massive surprise for me too. But for example at Romandie I wanted to do a top 5 ride and I knew I could. It was different at the Giro where I just wanted the experience, to get in the breakaways and help our leader Trofimov. So I had a really good day there and it was a massive surprise.

"I've got two big objectives in 2016. First off, I want to do a GC ride in the Giro and second, I want to ride for Russia in Rio. So my programme is based on these two races and until the Giro I'll do Paris-Nice, Catanlunya, Pais Vasco, LBL and Romandie.

"I don't have much time for anything but the bike. I'd like to have the time for diving, I love that and it's a dream for me, but I don't have the time right now. I like to listen to music too, a few different genres. I listen to music at home, in the hotel room at races and when warming up for TTs. Also I like to spend time with my wife and friends."

http://www.velo-club.net/route/continentales-interviews/les-interviews/109951-interview-ilnur-zakarin-deux-grands-objectifs-en-2016 (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Domestique
    « Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 21:46 »
    After checking twitter today, and international vs national cycling press - Katusha's withdrawal from the MPCC today seems so expected that it hardly raises eyebrows in international cycling press - yet in Norway Katusha is facing tough criticism from most, including what I would call prominent members of Katusha's classics squad and their sports supervisor for the classics.

Kristoff has always been an open opponent of doping and has frequently lashed out at laissez-faire attititudes in the sport despite actually signing for Katusha. This has included some politically incorrect statements and now he is quoted in Norwegian media saying:
    "This is just too stupid. When you are a member, you have to accept the punishment. It would be better if they accepted it, and then  re-evaluate afterwards to continue as a member or not. This way, the team is running away from its responsibilities (as a member of MPCC)".
    To balance it, Kristoff also says he is opposed to collective punishment and that both Paolini's and Vorganov's positives have been covered in an unbalanced way by the media.
    Stein Ørn and Svein Erik Bystrøm have also expressed similar opinions in national media over the past few days. They all say it's not their job to make the decisions on behalf of the team in these matters - but it is quite clear they're not exactly impressed by the decsions.
    Personally, I sometimes wonder if Katusha is a team - but others have commented that Kristoffs attitudes, and his comments never was a good match with Katusha, so one might wonder how long it's going to last.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3344
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 23:24 »
    but its not just to avoid the 1 week suspension

didnt the MPCC already decide that the penalty didnt apply because Paolini's doping wasnt deliberate?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 07:12 »
    but its not just to avoid the 1 week suspension

didnt the MPCC already decide that the penalty didnt apply because Paolini's doping wasnt deliberate?

that was the UCI, they introduced team suspensions for accumulating doping violations last year - a possible MPCC penalty is independent from that.

And they didn't say it wasn't deliberate by the way, but that it was recreational.
  • ReplyReply

•