• Liked: 5652
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Re: FDJ news
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56 »
Nark Madiot

A special feature by L'arri

So Bouhanni is on ice for the rest of 2014 thanks to his transfer to Cofidis and some ill-judged comments made to L'Equipe. Shouldn't he have known better than to provoke the man I just decided to call The Rage of Renazé?

Here are some highlights from the Roll-call of Rancour:

Tour de France, 2013

One of Madiot's most memorable apoplexies was over Stage 1, Busgate in Bastia. Not with the inflatable guitar wielders but with the race jury's messy decisionmaking process, a whole season before the infamous Stelvio Fail.

Tour de France, 2006

In 2006, the Tour visited the Netherlands, when Stage 3 finished on the Cauberg, the famous final climb of the Amstel Gold. Madiot's mainstay Sandy Casar was knocked off his bike by a drunk spectator. Piqued, the FDJ boss got into a fight with the spectator.

Tour du Méditerranéen, 2011

The FDJ grump groused over the Med organisers' myopic memory when the French Cycling League, a voluntary group of French pro teams, made commitments to the future of the race only for the organisers to subsequently fail to invite all the FCL members.

Tour de France, 2007

Madiot's fiery ire was stoked again as Michael Rasmussen quit the Tour in disgrace. While other managers shrugged their shoulders when polled by press, the Frenchman modestly stated: "I've gone past being angry. I just don't want to talk about it any more. You should go and ask Mr Rabobank about it."

Selected huffs, 2009-2010

Grumblestiltskin came to visit again in a pre-season interview when Madiot took umbrage to being asked about the impending return of Lance Armstrong instead of his own hopes and endeavours: "I say 'Bravo Armstrong' when he gets himself involved in the struggle against cancer," snapped the boss, "[but] he should have been able to get involved in a different way, telling young people how racing enabled him to get over his illness. But not by coming back to the peloton."

Indeed, referring to Armstrong as the Hollywood that cycling didn't need, Madiot is outspokenly conservative. "We also put riders in wind ­tunnels," he complained when discussing the arrival of Team Sky in 2010, "but we don't put out a press release about it."

He's just an excitable boy

It would be unfair to conclude this Odyssey of Outrage without balancing Madiot's more empathic qualities, to the extent that it would be better to suggest that the FDJ veteran is probably just a very emotional guy. He sure loves his riders and loves to encourage them.

See how he urges on Christophe Mengin here in the 2005 Tour and then totally loses his brass when his boy falls with 800m to go before a guaranteed solo stage victory...

And then another famous solo effort in 2012 alongside bright young thing Thibaut Pinot, when everything ended happily ever after.

Cycling may not need Hollywood but it definitely needs guys like Marc Madiot.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 06:28 »
    L'Equipe reports this morning that French Worlds selector Bernard Bourreau tried to talk Madiot out of freezing Bouhanni for the rest of the season, especially because he wants the sprinter to be in good shape for Ponferrada.

Bourreau said that Madiot called him after having spoken to Bouhanni and was "quite furious" so the selector replied that he would call back when the FDJ boss had calmed down. However, it transpired that, even at this juncture, Madiot had not changed his mind.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Bourreau-embete-pour-bouhanni/498336
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9474
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 08:20 »
    aren't the World Championships next week anyway?!  :S

what race would he miss? Tour du Doubs maybe, but I can't see any other
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 08:44 »

could have been to finish or ride a few more stage at the vuelta ?

not that it would make much different
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 09:06 »
    could have been to finish or ride a few more stage at the vuelta ?

not that it would make much different

Yeah, he was supposed to finish the Vuelta. As it is, he lost a week of racing. It isn't much but it is still a week less than it was supposed to be, not to mention the potential for a bit of awkwardness between the riders.
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 155
    « Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 10:51 »
    I miss Casar. I hope he's doing well but he could probably have raced a couple of more years and maybe tried to focus on classics instead of stage races.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 14:20 »
    I miss Casar. I hope he's doing well but he could probably have raced a couple of more years and maybe tried to focus on classics instead of stage races.

Casar quit because he was having recurrent injury problems, fed up of doping wrecking his career chances and his head was elsewhere. When he quit, he did an interview in which he laughed that, after the exposure of various dopers over the years, he might now have technically won a Giro.

Casar was a VIP invitee of FDJ at this year's Tour and is said to have found the experience a revelation, having been so little aware of the true scale of the circus as a rider.

Interviewed by Le Figaro at the Tour, he said that he'd done some small cycling-related jobs and spent a lot of time at home, rarely getting out on the bike more than once a week. Although he rode 14 seasons, Casar says he feels like he hasn't ever really worked in his life!

Now ready for new challenges, he declared himself uninterested in DSing but was keen instead to work in cycling R&D.

During his Tour visit, he was rewarded with the National Order of Merit by the French State:

• ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2030
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 15:47 »

Tour du Doubs takes place on the last day of the Vuelta: he would have been prohibited from taking part in it.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 15:53 »
    yep, exceptions are possible though, there was some talk about it when Cavendish abandoned the Vuelta and did the Tour of Britain instead (also Goss, who did some other race instead though)

edit:

Drop-out
    A rider dropping out of the race may not compete in any other cycling events for the duration of the stage race that he abandoned, on pain of a 15 day suspension and a fine of CHF 200 to 1,000.

After consulting the event directors and the president of the commissaires panel, the UCI may, however, grant exceptions at the request of a rider and with the agreement of his sports director.

(text modified on 1.01.05; 1.10.11).

source
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 155
    « Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 18:37 »
    Casar quit because he was having recurrent injury problems, fed up of doping wrecking his career chances and his head was elsewhere. When he quit, he did an interview in which he laughed that, after the exposure of various dopers over the years, he might now have technically won a Giro.

Thanks for the heads up. Casar is probably my alltime favorite. He was great in races and could do everything well. I mentioned classics because in theory he could have done well in Liege or something but yeah, probably not in practice.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 14:55 »
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Pinot-si-on-sort-indemne/508719 (FR)

Thibaut Pinot : "if we come out of the first week unscathed..."

FDJ's bright young thing Tibs Pinot on the 2015 Tour route and Tinkov's ideas

"It's a mountainous route with just one TT of less than 15km. For the climbers, it's better to have this parcours without a real test against the clock. For me, there'll be some work to do with two difficult Pyrrenean stages, plus the Alps with that finish at Alpe d'Huez.

"The first week is pretty tough: on all of those days, we'll have to be careful not to lose time. The cobbled stage is the first key one. Before we get the the winds, there'll be several tough and wearing days. If we come out unscathed after the TTT, we can do well by Paris.

"TTT is something we practise regularly at FDJ. We'll keep doing that. It isn't too long, hardly more than 25km. It's an exercise we enjoy doing. That said, the later it comes in the race, the harder it is to deal with. If there are a lot of crashes beforehand with the cobbles and the wind, we could end up with two or three guys injured.

"I'd like to do as well as this year. That would be great already. I know what I can do when I'm getting to my best level like this year's Tour. I hope that'll be the case next year too. But I'll need to be careful at the start as we saw in 2013.

"I don't yet know if I'll do the Giro and Tour in succession. I'll have to talk with the trainers and DSs to know that. Tinkov's idea with the present calendar isn't possible. You need at least two months between two GTs to be competitive and that would mean sacrificing other races like Paris-Nice and the Classics."
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 11:55 »
    Nark Madiot

Cycling's Mr Anger Management is back for another coup de grouch.

--> Madiot: Like it or not, France is the centre of the cycling world

This time he's kicking off like a Brussels riot.

Not going to win himself a lot of friends here, indiscriminately spraying the verbal rubber bullets at pretty much everyone and everything in the sport, but some of what he says has substance.

Somebody give this man a short holiday and a fistful of horse tranquilizers.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27 »
    Thibaut Pinot announces his racing schedule up to the Tour:

https://twitter.com/ThibautPinot/status/555059433202794496

plus

https://twitter.com/ThibautPinot/status/555064012950736896

No Catalunya this year for TP.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 11:21 »
    Here's the Reuters piece: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2932871/Cycling-Winning-Tour-plan-not-dream-FDJ.html

Interesting snippet:

With 25 of their 29 riders hailing from France, FDJ will also benefit from the invaluable experience of Swiss rider Steve Morabito, who helped Cadel Evans win the Tour de France in 2011.

"He's bringing us a lot of information," Grappe said of Morabito, who was hand-picked by Pinot himself.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #46 on: February 07, 2015, 19:03 »
    Rollin critical of FDJ management as he links up with Bouhanni

Dominique Rollin (Cofidis) has criticised the mentality and approach of the management at his former team FDJ, describing them as “former cyclists who want to be around races.”

Rollin spent three years at FDJ but found himself without a spot on the roster at the end of 2013. The Canadian was unable to secure a contract with a WorldTour team and spent last season out of the sport. However he remained in Girona, Spain for long periods of time, and trained throughout the year.

When Cofidis were putting together new signing Nacer Bouhanni’s lead-out
    train they approached Rollin and the Quebec-born rider jumped at the opportunity to re-join the professional peloton. According to Rollin, who will race alongside Bouhanni at the Tour of Qatar, the move to Cofidis has given him a new purpose.

“It’s the same old but there’s been a bit of a more relaxed view. I’m enjoying it again and I’m happy to be here with a purpose. That’s what was missing in the last few years. I’d show up for races and I’d have no focus, no plan whatsoever. The team would be ‘we’re here, we’ll just race.’ There was no organisation around the race or desire to take the race up to our speed,” Rollin told Cyclingnews as he prepared for a training ride in Qatar.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #47 on: February 07, 2015, 19:53 »
    Rollin worked hard for #fdj so I guess he can afford to be a bit grumpy at how things turned out. Have to admit, I hadn't noticed that he sat out 2014.

Slightly surprising, I suppose, because back in the day he was reported to have signed two years with Madiot, so perhaps it was one of those option-only contracts, or else CN got it wrong. Also because he is a good dom. I can't think why he didn't do somebody some good during his time there.

Some of what he suggests certainly appears to be true: Madiot can't be bothered with leadout trains and I have a half a mind that it's less a question of aptitude than it is of attitude. ;) I just think the man can't stand that sort of cycling, which is why he goes gooey-eyed over stringy protégés like Pinot and Elissonde and leaves the veterans like Mourey and Roy alone to do their own thing. Nark Madiot indeed.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #48 on: February 07, 2015, 20:05 »
    Still stuck in the romantic era methinks. Just like Dave B  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #49 on: February 07, 2015, 20:13 »
    Still stuck in the romantic era methinks. Just like Dave B  :-x

Lucky for Madiot that there is a whole academic-partnered, well-funded national sports science programme going on behind FDJ that even he can't screw up.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #50 on: February 07, 2015, 20:18 »
    Lucky for Madiot that there is a whole academic-partnered, well-funded national sports science programme going on behind FDJ that even he can't screw up.

Ha. I admire him but he has to embrace the change for the sake of his riders.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #51 on: February 07, 2015, 20:22 »
    Ha. I admire him but he has to embrace the change for the sake of his riders.

Oh, I agree. He can't afford to undercook guys like Elissonde and Démare or lose guys like Vuillermoz and Bouhanni. He is sat on a fountain of talent but at the moment, the flow is, uh, not running freely into the pool.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 20:26 »
    Oh, I agree. He can't afford to undercook guys like Elissonde and Démare or lose guys like Vuillermoz and Bouhanni. He is sat on a fountain of talent but at the moment, the flow is, uh, not running freely into the pool.

Yep. The time has come. It says something when talented riders such as Bouhanni and Vuillermoz are happy to go to AG2R and Cofidis instead of FDJ.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1738
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #53 on: February 07, 2015, 21:23 »
    Yep. The time has come. It says something when talented riders such as Bouhanni and Vuillermoz are happy to go to AG2R and Cofidis instead of FDJ.

AG2R has done great lately, whoever decides what riders to sign there needs a raise, their pool of talent is impressive. They are probably among the 3-5 deepest teams in the peloton.

Cofidis on the other hand, is more questionable. Money and talent has not added up for them before, but I like what the team is doing now.

FDJ I wouldn't even say is doing so poorly. The teams that mainly have me wondering is teams like Lampre, IAM - They have a few guys that are fine, but really, is their squad guy for guy much better than Cofidis?

As far as poor race strategies I think Europcar has to take the award. Only team I know that is leading in two groups at the same time on a consistent basis.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #54 on: February 07, 2015, 21:46 »
    AG2R has done great lately, whoever decides what riders to sign there needs a raise, their pool of talent is impressive. They are probably among the 3-5 deepest teams in the peloton.

Cofidis on the other hand, is more questionable. Money and talent has not added up for them before, but I like what the team is doing now.

FDJ I wouldn't even say is doing so poorly. The teams that mainly have me wondering is teams like Lampre, IAM - They have a few guys that are fine, but really, is their squad guy for guy much better than Cofidis?

As far as poor race strategies I think Europcar has to take the award. Only team I know that is leading in two groups at the same time on a consistent basis.

IAM probably need a year or three to get going in the WT, but agree that Lampre are poor. There are a few PCT teams with more potential.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1738
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #55 on: February 07, 2015, 22:08 »
    IAM probably need a year or three to get going in the WT

They had WT money last year, so I think they should be further along, but I mean they are okay, would just wish to see a bit more from them.

On another note what I like with the French teams now (unlike some years ago) is that they are deep enough that they have a slew of riders that I would say are WT deserving. Nothing frustrates me more than seeing riders on teams that they are only on for nationalist reasons.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: General news season 2015
    « Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 00:03 »
    Mark Madiot blog on CN

Some quotes:
    Eventually we drove to Paris. We didn’t go by helicopter to eat at La Tour d’Argent like our friend Oleg Tinkov. Like most of the people from the cycling community, we had steak-frites on the highway and we slept in a Campanile where hospitality was great. Better than if we had motor-homes. My staff and I still enjoy the Tour de France without living in a bling bling haven…

Some of my colleagues dream of making business with buying and selling riders like clubs do in football but I’m definitely not interested in that kind of business. I have a much bigger passion for developing riders and living the adventure together with them on a long term basis.
    [...]
    I believe in keeping the passion for cycling alive more than in the short-term business of selling and buying pro bike riders that we hear about during the Tour de France.

:D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Re: General news season 2015
    « Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 06:57 »
    Mark Madiot blog on CN

Some quotes:
    :D

I moved this because the essays and outbursts of cycling's favourite reactionary Luddite are often the source of comment in this thread.

Good off-season topic:

Madiot vs. Tinkov: where do you stand?

Wildly different viewpoints on the present and future of cycling, both with persuasive points.
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 08:41 »
    Madiot. He's awesome, even when he's wrong.
  • ReplyReply

•