collapse

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 842
  • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
Your single greatest cycling moment
« on: April 03, 2012, 00:57 »
Time for Le Memories.

What are the greatest cycling moments you have experienced as a fan.

Those sudden surprises that had you jumping out of your seats?

You can post as many as you want, the one rule is that you have to pick 1 that stands above the rest. Im looking more for short moments, things that lasted a few seconds, perhaps a couple of minutes,  rather than entire stages or races.

For me there are  2 similar moments that came in the same week from the same rider, to choose between.

While the insane decision taken 3 days later, will live longer in the memory, and rightfully so, it was this shock attack that had me screaming at the tv louder than i possibly ever will.

Just when they thought he was out,

he pulled himself back in.

Look at the shock on everyones faces.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:42 by L'arriviste »
    Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    Re: Your single greatest cycling moment,
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:00 »
    I know it is cheesy but as an Anglo cycling fan with very little access to racing at the time, and as a young guy who in the early days of his love affair with cycling, it really has to be the moment you saw him appearing in the background at the line. making me emotional just thinking about it now.

• ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 36
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:14 »
    It doesn't get better than this.

My 2nd favourite is...

Dogged with bad luck all season, the champ comes out on top!
  • ReplyReply
  • - Australia's greatest sporting moment

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:18 »

My 2nd favourite is...

Dogged with bad luck all season, the champ comes out on top!

World champs must be special for you. not just because it was world champ but also (to someone who does not know him that well)  because it seemed to be a changing point for Cadel's career. Rainbow jersey seemed to change him slightly, not sure if it was pride in wearing the jersey or self belief or just co-incidence of time in his career but the next year always felt there was something different about him. glint in his eye.

and now smiling at the thought of how much you must have been yelling at the tv in both races.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:40 by DinZ »

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:29 »
    Great thread, Hitch. Love that photograph, especially the resignation on the face of the domestiques (George and Fabian) and the "Oh sh*t" looks of the GT guys (Voeckler, F. Schleck). Andy looking at Fabian as if to say, "Please, please, go and bring him back." Cadel just looks like The Thing from the Fabulous 4 as usual.

For me it was stage 13 of the 2003 Tour de France. The quality of the men who made final selection, the fact that they attacked each other repeatedly, Ullrich making the decisive attack, Armstrong unable to grab his wheel... it was fantastic.

The best moment was Jan's attack circa 5:30 of the video, the worst was seeing Armstrong come around the corner having made up nearly all of the time. Highs and lows within minutes, that's cycling.

Tour de France 2003 Stage 13 Toulouse-Ax-Bonascre
    Apologies for the music in the video. Blame Europe.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 572
    « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24 »
    Great thread, Hitch. Love that photograph, especially the resignation on the face of the domestiques (George and Fabian) and the "Oh sh*t" looks of the GT guys (Voeckler, F. Schleck). Andy looking at Fabian as if to say, "Please, please, go and bring him back." Cadel just looks like The Thing from the Fabulous 4 as usual.

Voeckler and the BMC at the front are the best.

and Basso looking at the ground.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:13 »
    Ivan Basso....from the next big thing, winning iI giro.  being suspended and coming back slowly and a win at 2010 ...it's been an epic ride.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:18 »
    Carlos Sastre attacking on the bottom of L'Alpe and winning the 2008 Tour will stay with me for a long long time as it was the moment I got hooked on cycling forever, I always enjoyed cycling as a july-is-the-time-for-cycling-fan. But that moment I was sold.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 163
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:47 »
    to be honest, my greatest moment was something I did in a p-issy little local track race.  It was the district Track Championships and I had won the Kilo, come 2nd in the Pursuit, and third in the Scratch race.  If I won the sprint comp I would get the overall title.  I qualified first and won my preliminaries.  In the final, I led out the first sprint and won it.  In the second, the other rider (my best mate) had much better endurance than me and knew I had a habit of playing with my shoe on roll-out before getting going so... he went BANG!  Within a moment he had a half lap on me and was accelerating.  I gripped the bars so hard I was sure I'd leave fingerprints and went after him.  We rode flat out for the remaining laps and I caught him with 200 to go and then rode over him in the sprint to the line to take the title by about 10cm.

Anyway, when thinking about people other than me - sorry for that - its the little things that have always hooked me in the sport.

Hinault riding the stage with a broken nose
    Greg's return from the hunting accident.
    Jalabert's effort to steal the KOM jersey
    Mario's win when he wasn't even visible in the helicopter overhead shot with 300 to go.
    Hoogie getting back on the bike after the barbed wire incident.

These are a few of my favourite things
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 00:28 by Martin318is, Reason: Added the story as people were interested »
    About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11437
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53 »
    Mine 1st was

1984 team pursuit Olympics

Australia (AUS)
    Michael Grenda
    Kevin Nichols
    Michael Turtur
    Dean Woods  these guys won Gold - I was sick with pneumonia watched the Olympics -  Loved this event
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6788
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:55 »
    Egotistical it may be, but my greatest cycling moment was one of my own wins as a kid. I trained like a senior (getting in the miles rather than concentrating speed) so I wasn't best suited to the diet of criteriums we had then. I was fourteen or fifteen, I think. I didn't know it then, but that was my last season.

I'd already won a few things before but none yet had been particularly self-assured. By contrast, this was the first time I really felt like I was in control in a race. I was nervous but in a good way.

It was a technical parcours and I took a few risks, riding away from the main group with a couple of guys on my wheel. I waited and waited and waited and then attacked on the last climb, gaining a few metres around the final corner, which was all I needed before the long straight. I wasn't the best sprinter and I did not want to wait for a sprint.

I had enough time to check behind and then to sit up and enjoy it. I won about four races after that but, being mostly sprints (which as I say I didn't like), none of them were so neatly done nor were they so exhilarating.  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2509
    « Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46 »
    Love the personal wins, thanks for sharing those Arriviste & Martin. My personal experiences on road cycling have been very limited, since the only sports I only ever did (semi-)competitively were ice skating and football (as in soccer). Oh, and some gymnastics as a child (don't ask ;D ). So I'll stick to moments in watching cycling. And since I didn't really become a huge cycling fan until +/- 2007, all the moments are quite recent:

1. Cancellara versus Boonen on the Muur in 2010. The entire spring had been building up to that moment, the two strongest were together and the rest of the field out of sight. And then Cancellara attacked, didn't even stand up, just rode away from Boonen.
    2. Sastre's Tour-winning attack in 2008 on Alpe d'Huez. The years before that I was always away during parts of the Tour, but that one I got to see pretty much every stage. That entire Tour had been a waiting game, with attacks very limited, and it all came down to Alpe d'Huez and the final time trial. And then Sastre attacked, taking two minutes and winning the Tour.
    3. There had to be a 2010 Giro moment on here, and for me it was the moment Evans had to let go of Basso's wheel on Zoncolan. I was supporting Basso (as I mostly always do), but Evans had been very strong so far. On that hellish mountain though, Evans had to let go. Basso took the stage and eventually the overall. Overall the Montalcino stage was obviously more exciting, but this was for me the one moment that defined that Giro.
    4. Contador on the Etna in 2011 Giro. I'm not a Contador fan, never have been, but what he did there was impressive. Against better judgement I was hoping Nibali would be able to match Alberto somehow, but when he rode away there was nothing left for anyone to do. The Giro was pretty much over at that point already.
    5. Evans' attack in the 2009 World Championships. As mentioned earlier, it was a revival for him. It also was a spectacular ending to a great day of racing.

Could name dozens of great cycling moments more, but these five really stand out. Not in terms of performances, but just in how fondly I remember them.
  • ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:07 »
    World champs must be special for you. not just because it was world champ but also (to someone who does not know him that well)  because it seemed to be a changing point for Cadel's career. Rainbow jersey seemed to change him slightly, not sure if it was pride in wearing the jersey or self belief or just co-incidence of time in his career but the next year always felt there was something different about him. glint in his eye.

and now smiling at the thought of how much you must have been yelling at the tv in both races.

I was actually cleaning up my late dog's pee from where it sleeps because I was intently watching the WC and ignored the dog. ;D

During the worlds I was screaming at the TV but during the time trial I was too nervous to scream or even move. :-[
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Re: Your single greatest cycling moment
    « Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 11:03 »
    A few of my favourites:

1991: Ekimov's solo win into Mâcon / Abdoujaparov's famous Champs-Elysées crash at the Tour

Terrible but still brilliant. See also: Olaf Ludwig from my favourite team!

1992: Kelly beats Argentin at MSR

1992: Old-timer Duclos-Lasalle batters everyone at PR (in the best jersey ever)

1992: Chiapucci's epic solo win at Sestrière, Tour

1993: Fondriest's win at MSR (it was a heavily doped year, tbh)

1996: Abdoujaparov's oft-forgotten solo win on a very hilly stage at the Tour (metaphor for that whole Tour: bonkers!)

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25 »
    I know it is cheesy but as an Anglo cycling fan with very little access to racing at the time, and as a young guy who in the early days of his love affair with cycling, it really has to be the moment you saw him appearing in the background at the line. making me emotional just thinking about it now.

Ditto.

Second time in a row you've done this to me.

• ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 11:59 »
    Ditto.

Second time in a row you've done this to me.

:( what was the first one? ok next time a topic like this comes up i promise not to post for at least 24 hours to let you get in first

L'arriviste: Chiappucci in 1992 is a close second i reckon. amazing ride. Was difficult riding in my Carrera long sleeved top in July after that but still made sure it got a few outings.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4583
    • Awards: 2019 Worlds prediction champ2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 14:47 »
    Yes Hitch that was a great moment.

Basically every time Alberto attacks is great but the greatest for me is the Etna stage.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4144
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 14:52 »
    I loved the Etna stage ...

but for me, I liked the stage that he gave Tiralongo.  Was such a lovely thing, he won me over there and then.

And of course - there were many of my favourite moments last year.  A whole season full of them  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 14:53 »
    one of my latest

was painting my mother in-laws kitchen for her there is still paint on the TV

Spanish comms

great day of screaming at the TV
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 15:14 »
    one of my latest

was painting my mother in-laws kitchen for her there is still paint on the TV

Spanish comms

great day of screaming at the TV

Yeah, Stage 7.  :) Don't even need to say "... of the 2010 Giro". Fans just know.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 15:22 »

Which moment is that? 
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 21:33 »
    :( what was the first one? ok next time a topic like this comes up i promise not to post for at least 24 hours to let you get in first

L'arriviste: Chiappucci in 1992 is a close second i reckon. amazing ride. Was difficult riding in my Carrera long sleeved top in July after that but still made sure it got a few outings.
    Favourite races, PR & TdF?

Cheers but better make it 48 hours, I find spontaneous originality difficult to do.

• ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 00:35 »
    Which moment is that?

Plenty of other people have posted whole races or stages so I don't see your point but if I had to pick a moment it would be the MJ presentation.
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 01:09 »
     One of most epic races I have seen 2010 Giro Stage 7

or

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 01:16 »
    Roche coming out of the mist on La Plagne in 87, still gives me goosebumps

Vino on the Champs Elysees in 2005

and of course, Sean Kelly, Roubaix in 1984, never got to see it live. Only videos later on
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 02:27 »
    Plenty of other people have posted whole races or stages so I don't see your point but if I had to pick a moment it would be the MJ presentation.

My point is that the op clearly says moment not hour long climbs up mountains. It's like if I asked you what your favourite kiss was and you replied by telling me who your favourite girlfriend was.

And then replied "I don't  see your point" when I ask again which was your favourite kiss was.
         ::)

Ps its only the suspicion that you might get very upset that got me to write girlfriend rather than boyfriend above. Consider it a let off.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 07:34 »
    Hitch how long is a moment

2 really important moments in my life were the birth of my son - 10 hours and wedding day 16 hours

the answer is the same to the question how long is a piece string -

• ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 163
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 07:36 »
    My point is that the op clearly says moment not hour long climbs up mountains.

I think you may be wrong about that.

You can certainly have a 'moment' within a stage or single race, but a critical climb or TT could easily be thought of as a 'moment' in the context of a GT.

Puy de Dome, 1964.      One of the greatest moments in cycling - ever.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4144
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 07:44 »

That TT was awesome ...  riding the second half of it, knowing he had done enough to win. 

I do wish he had beat T Martin though.  Winning the stage as well would have been nice
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 09:10 »

[/quote]

this. brilliant
     also voeckler '04

• ReplyReply

•