collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1630
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: What does it mean to be "American"?
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2019, 21:22 »
What? :slow

My own, annual, experiences in Quebec were mostly in  the early to mid 1970s, and French was very much the dominant language. In fact, as a very young kid, native adults would usually address me in French before I would clumsily inform them that I only spoke English.  . . .
As a Quebec resident, I can unequivocally say that you aren't misunderstanding anything.

French in Quebec is not and never has truly been under threat. It is still the majority language by a country mile - without the need for Bill 101.

Francophones are by far the largest linguistic group - followed by allophones (ie., non-franco and non-anglo native language speakers).

The biggest "threat" to French since WW2 was immigration - which saw a proportionally larger influx of non-French (and non-English) speakers than the natural population growth.

. . .
So, to finish on the original topic ... no, French has never been under threat in Quebec in the lifetime of any of the members of this forum. . . .

Hmmm. Ok, then, seems like there is more to the story than I knew! My experiences in Quebec were more limited. Visited Quebec a couple of times as a result of my father's work - and spent a couple of summers in the Lac Megantic area as for the same reason. I don't recall anyone ever addressing me in French - but obviously there could have been another reason - I was rarely about without my dad. During college years - early 70's - I was in Michigan's U.P., and took road trips crossing through Quebec province to N.H., where I had finished high school. Both of you sound like you have greater experience than I, so, I must defer!

My experiences in LA were a little more comprehensive - we lived in TX for a spell - near the state line - and my sisters would cross the state line to LA to get drunk. A few years later, due to my work, I would be spending small bits of time in Baton Rouge, along with Shreveport and Monroe. Several earlier school years were spent in coastal Florida, where for some reason I recall discussing Cajuns with relatives. We knew people who worked in the oil industry - who would have had contact with the locals in LA.
It was during the career where I was traveling through the previously mentioned towns that I spent some holiday time in NO. I remember going out, with my date, and chancing on Bruce Daigrepont playing at some club. We two-stepped and swung the night through - dripping sweat - but I was in great shape from riding. We danced pretty much every number. I didn't even know what zydeco was then. But I knew I'd found something I liked. We just danced and danced.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .