collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5349
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: Giant-Shimano
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 18:25 »
http://www.teamgiantshimano.com/2014/10/team-giant-shimano-exploring-new-methods-scouting-tomorrows-champions/

“We have explored the capacities of having a development team connected to our structure this past season, but found it not effective enough in developing our team structure as a whole to continue it for another season,” explained Team Giant-Shimano general manager, Iwan Spekenbrink.

So only one year of Giant Devo. A cost cutting exercise dressed up as a change of approach or am I too cycnical?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 19:13 »
    http://www.teamgiantshimano.com/2014/10/team-giant-shimano-exploring-new-methods-scouting-tomorrows-champions/

So only one year of Giant Devo. A cost cutting exercise dressed up as a change of approach or am I too cycnical?

No, you're not, and I think for once even Spekenbrink is dissembling here.

Why bother deep-investing in youth when others will spend the money to do it and then you can just cherrypick theirs?

OK, perhaps that is too cynical...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 20:06 »
    However, from 2017 (or so) all big teams (whatever the new categories will be called) will be required to have a Conti-level development team. I guess saving that expense for two years can still be worth it, but long-term thinking it is not.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 11:49 »
    https://twitter.com/ollieman56/status/549162597027545088

From an interview in L'Equipe.

California.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 21:36 »
    He could win PN
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9471
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 08:30 »
    no, he will never win a race with any kind of time trial included
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 08:51 »
    no, he will never win a race with any kind of time trial included

I think Barguil is a little prematurely overhyped, like several others among the current Nouvelle Vague. Even if he does improve his TT, he still seems several seasons away from winning even a short stage race given the competition.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 10:55 »
    I think his Vuelta performance though did show that, excluding his TT, he should be considered part of that large second division of GC guys. If Pinot and Bardet had targeted that race, I don't think they would have been too far ahead of him.

If he continues to progress in 2015 I don't see why he can't be achieving a few top-5 placings (podiums even maybe) in the right WT races and hopefully a smattering of stage wins.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Re: Giant-Alpecin
    « Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47 »
    I've been translating a series of unusual features from last year's Tour written by Pierre Carrey and published by French daily Libération , so after Alex Howes and Brice Feillu, here's ...

Marcel 'Fatty' Kittel, pure sprinter

It's rare for a sprinter, but Marcel Kittel has no known vice. The statuesque German from Team Giant-Shimano, three time stage winner on this Tour since Saturday, has shoulders sculpted from sandstone but a heart of quartz. This mineral quality is the exact opposite of Mark Cavendish, the British sprinter who tried to win on Day 1 in front of his home crowd.

The contrast is significant: while Cavendish bit the asphalt after a bump too many, Kittel crossed the line in his Neptune's chariot, pulled by dolphins. And if he suffered a mechanical in Reims, Marcel has promised to return to winning ways as soon as possible.

This monumental style of his is intriguing. On France 2 [French TV station that covers the Tour - L'arri], Jean-René Godart swoons over what he calls "a pure sprinter of the finest pedigree". One French cyclist, absent on this Tour, describes the conquering style of his colleague thus: "Kittel wears Ray Bans, a 1940s haircut with side parting and big quiff. He has a jawline for chewing gum. All he's missing is a pack of smokes and he'd be a real GI!"

Spectators see Kittel the same way as his fellow riders. He plays his chips but without excess and always with this impeccable image that never slips. He never makes a mistake. Except perhaps when he described his sprint on Saturday in front of William and Harry, the children of Lady Diana: "it was like I was flying through a tunnel".

Once he parks his bike, the 26 year old Kittel is a typical German from the centre of his country (Erfurt). He grew up with a father who is the director of a property company and a mother working in health insurance. His agent Jörg Werner underlines the values of a loving son: "Marcel could live in Switzerland and pay less taxes but he has chosen to stay in Germany, near his family."

His teammates are soft on their 'sweet guy', evoking his passion for chocolate and speculoos spreads, which he devours contrary to the cyclist's code. "It's amazing to see what he puts away," admires a former domestique. Indeed in private circles, the best sprinter in the Tour refers to himself as "fatty Kittel", even though he hardly has the belly of Jan Ullrich, his compatriot and hero of the 1997 Tour before the spectre of doping caught up with him in 2006.

"Ullrich was never my idol," admonishes Kittel, who tries to set himself well apart from the ghosts of the part. The fallen champion burned down cycling in his own country before he was done: no more Tour of Germany, no more German team with German leaders, no more Tour de France on public television. "In Germany, you're pushed hard towards the top and still harder towards the bottom," reckons Peter Rohracker, a former DS. "There are no second chances for individual riders or the sport as a whole. But Kittel, with his flawless image, could try to pull back some interest in our sport." For good reason: after four stage wins in the 2013 Tour, Kittel was elected sportsman of the year in his native country.

That year, we also learned that the rider had been the subject of blood manipulations at eighteen years old. After samples were taken, they were treated with ultraviolet light and then reinjected. The German authorities decided this wasn't doping. Kittel meanwhile decided to go through a lie detector test and came through clean of all suspicion, free once more to express his public fight against cheating.

When the UCI stripped Armstrong of his seven Tour victories, Kittel protested against the rewriting of history: "I'm exaggerating a bit, but nobody thought we should forget the Second World War..."

Retaining the memories but changing the reputation of cycling. That's a harder mission than beating other sprinters but Kittel sets about it with his character of a debonair champion. On the Internet, he delivered a picturesque story full of tenderness and self-deprecation when he presented his bike with a bouquet of flowers and declared his love for it, and sheepish embarassment when required to leave his hair gel at airport security. Another photo reveals his touching friendship with a garden gnome. With Kittel, the Tour de France seems to be pardoned for everything, like some sort of big adolescent.

http://www.liberation.fr/sports/2014/07/10/marcel-fatty-kittel-pur-sprinteur_1061641 (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 12:39 »
    Giant press release, another try for Kittel

MEDIA RELEASE: MARCEL KITTEL TO RACE TOUR DE POLOGNE

German sprinter Marcel Kittel will continue his season at the Tour de Pologne. The stage race, scheduled for August 2-8, consists of six stages and a closing individual time trial. Kittel will then work toward the Vattenfal Cyclassics and GP Ouest France - Plouay one-day races at the end of August.

“I am looking forward to racing again after a good period of training at home,” said Kittel. “The Tour de Pologne is a nice race to get back into racing and gain rhythm. As a team, we will be aiming to win sprint stages in Poland.”

• ReplyReply

• QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 28
    « Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 12:50 »
    Finally the team has a new sponsor lots of last minute issues.

Giant stepped in for multiple years.

Bit of fun from the team presentation

tis a bit lame, except for Miss Lucy, who's cute
  • ReplyReply

• QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 28
    « Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 12:54 »
    now I like Shimano...  some

and I like Giant   some..  mmm  some stuff

#giant

they not together   :Sweating: :( :(

:we all gonna die: :Wave2: :disapointed :nerd: :high
    :ohno: this looks like a turd, what is it?

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 16:19 »
    I think his Vuelta performance though did show that, excluding his TT, he should be considered part of that large second division of GC guys. If Pinot and Bardet had targeted that race, I don't think they would have been too far ahead of him.

If he continues to progress in 2015 I don't see why he can't be achieving a few top-5 placings (podiums even maybe) in the right WT races and hopefully a smattering of stage wins.

Still true. But could he have gone better so far without that crash?

I don't really want to see him as another GC sitback but we are still a long way from that.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 879
    « Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23 »
    https://twitter.com/SSbike/status/653902685658288129

All interesting. And: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dumoulin-and-barguil-sign-three-year-renewals-with-giant-alpecin/

I am not sure where Giant-hairgoop is going . . .(well, maybe it is clearer than that) . . . but next year should be interesting what they can achieve. Can they change dances from DWTS to a mamou waltz so easily? We will see.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 21:07 »
    https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/691001196849422336

Haga the worst it seems head injuries

Reports Degeonkolb may lose a finger

taken out by a car 7 in the training group only 1 not hit

Barguill Dad said headon no chance to move

terrible news

I had Amy Gillet flash backs
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 21:12 »
    JD on they way to get his finger re-attached

Maybe search can translate
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 21:19 »

He's relatively well under the circumstances.
    Has had the wounds on thigh, lower arm and lip stitched (under general anaesthetic); now on the way to a hospital to Valencia where they'll try to reattach/recreate his left pointing finger - it was only attached to the hand by a small bit of skin.
    Can't remember much, wishes his team mates all the best, thanks for the well-wishes.

God, that's gory. Whoever drove that vehicle should be prosecuted. :barf
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #50 on: January 23, 2016, 22:32 »
    Just horrible news.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #51 on: January 24, 2016, 00:38 »
    another, new press release from the team:

MEDIA RELEASE: MEDICAL UPDATE ON TRAINING ACCIDENT

Six Team Giant-Alpecin riders were involved in a crash in training during the team training camp near Calpe, Spain, today. A medical update on the riders' condition is provided below.

• Warren Barguil (FRA): fractured scaphoid; may require surgery but not yet determined.
    • John Degenkolb (GER): successful surgery on a cut in his upper leg; currently receiving treatment on his hand and a fracture to his forearm.
    • Chad Haga (USA): was airlifted to a hospital; successful surgery on neck and chin wounds; orbital fracture will be treated later.
    • Fredrik Ludvigsson (SWE): scratches and bruises all over his body.
    • Ramon Sinkeldam (NED): scratches and bruises all over his body.
    • Max Walscheid (GER): fractured hand and tibia; surgery likely required.
    CEO Iwan Spekenbrink said: “It has been a very tough day for the team and the riders will need time to recover. This team -- riders, both men and women, and everyone in the organization -- feels like a band of brothers and sisters. Together, and by standing by each other, the team will come out of this stronger than ever."

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #52 on: January 24, 2016, 01:15 »
     :(
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 852
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #53 on: January 24, 2016, 01:49 »
    Oh man, that sounds horrendous. Fingers crossed they all make speedy recoveries and we see them racing again relatively soon.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2030
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #54 on: January 24, 2016, 02:11 »
    Oh man, that sounds horrendous. Fingers crossed they all make speedy recoveries and we see them racing again relatively soon.
    Crossing fingers is apparently precisely what Degenkolb can't do...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #55 on: January 24, 2016, 11:41 »
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #56 on: January 24, 2016, 12:05 »
    Just grateful it wasn't worse than this. As a team though, they can pull together to get through this and that's a small blessing.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #57 on: January 24, 2016, 20:29 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 07:48 »
    https://twitter.com/ChadHaga

Haga is awake and active on twitter

Seems pretty Haga normal

https://twitter.com/ChadHaga/status/691524294887632896
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]