• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 748
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    Re: Giant-Alpecin
    « Reply #61 on: January 25, 2016, 15:34 »
    Much as dangerous driving should be punished, I do have to concentrate that first few miles from the airport when I arrive on holiday.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9257
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 15:41 »
    definitely, yeah. And although it probably wouldn't have changed much of the outcome and most cyclists will probably disagree, I also still think riding in a big group side by side can be fairly dangerous for both sides
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 15:41 »
    Much as dangerous driving should be punished, I do have to concentrate that first few miles from the airport when I arrive on holiday.

A couple of stories:

I went on the school French Exchange in the early 90s. What I got out of it was a bit of fun, some cycling books to study and massive constipation.

What he got out of his visit to Blighty was a smashed and scarred face. He was off the coach barely two hours and while out on the bike he misjudged a corner on a descent because he was used to riding on the right and went straight through an approaching car's windscreen. Hospital for him but the bike was miraculously unscathed.

Then I rolled off the ferry at Hull a few years ago, I recall, and found it a bit weird at first, adjusting back to roads in the old country.

Thankfully, nobody in Hull gets out of bed before 9am, so I was able to rewire myself in a state of complete calm by confronting a couple of roundabouts. That was a left-hand drive car driving on the left, so it was double strange. :P

There are no excuses though, as far as I'm concerned. These guys were neither at risk nor in error riding two abreast on their side of the road and they had no reason to expect such woeful behaviour from the driver who hit them.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 748
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #64 on: January 25, 2016, 15:58 »

Thankfully, nobody in Hull gets out of bed before 9am,

Aint that the truth. Been on the party boat from Hull to Amsterdam and Brugge a couple of times and the local residents get off the boat in their onesies when it docks on the way home.

Amazing.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3875
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #65 on: January 25, 2016, 16:09 »
    But this lady spends 6 months in Spain each year.
    definitely, yeah. And although it probably wouldn't have changed much of the outcome and most cyclists will probably disagree, I also still think riding in a big group side by side can be fairly dangerous for both sides
    It is safer than riding in single file because they are easier to overtake when riding in pairs.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 16:14 »
    theoretically that's true, sure. It's also much more difficult to deal with for car drivers though, and I would guess therefor mistakes are more likely to happen.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6055
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #67 on: January 25, 2016, 16:32 »
    And bloody rightly so.
    Reckless driving ... I'd call it physical injury resulting from negligence AND reckless driving. At the very least.

Not assault or battery as it wasn't intentional; but ignorantia non excusat.
    73 years, splitting time between *uk & *es - good grief. :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 19:15 »
    another update from #giant

MEDIA RELEASE: MEDICAL UPDATE ON TRAINING ACCIDENT

Team Giant-Alpecin reports that the recovery of the riders involved in the training accident in Spain is progressing steadily.

Warren Barguil (FRA), Fredrik Ludvigsson (SWE) and Ramon Sinkeldam (NED) are currently home. Team physician Anko Boelens (NED) explained: “Warren will undergo surgery on Thursday for his scaphoid fracture. This won’t change our earlier estimation of six weeks of recovery needed. Fredrik has already tried his first minutes on the home trainer and is showing good signs of recovery.”

The team reported on Monday that further exams that day showed that Sinkeldam also has a fractured scapula. Surgery will not be required, but recovery will take longer than initially expected.

John Degenkolb (GER) returned to Germany today for further treatment and recovery in the hospital. Boelens said: “John’s left index finger was damaged in the accident and he will have additional surgery in Germany. As a professional athlete, he needs the functionality back in his finger, and the recovery time for that is extremely difficult to predict.”

Further examinations have shown that Chad Haga (USA) will not need surgery on his orbital fracture. “Now the swelling has decreased and surgery won’t be necessary. Chad will be able to leave the hospital and travel home to Gerona, Spain, in the next few days.”

Max Walscheid (GER) had successful surgeries on both his tibia and thumb in Germany. He will need to stay in the hospital for a few more days, and his recovery will take some months.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #69 on: March 15, 2016, 16:01 »
    John Degenkolb hopes to be back in action within eight to ten weeks.

Speaking for the first time since the accident that put him out of the Classics, he says his aim now is to make the team's Tour de France selection.

Asked whom he thought would take MSR, he decided on Kristoff who, alongside Sagan and Cancellara, was one of his favourites to shine this Spring.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2601820 (NL)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5182
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6055
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #71 on: June 07, 2016, 15:40 »
    ..... and it's back.  :S
    Is it a stretch to say that they shut it down in order for it to be able to announce it as a "pioneering development program" now? :shh
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 550
    « Reply #72 on: June 07, 2016, 17:19 »
    when did they close the develpment team?

did Giant have a dev team?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5182
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #73 on: June 07, 2016, 17:26 »
    when did they close the develpment team?

did Giant have a dev team?

http://www.teamgiantshimano.com/2014/10/team-giant-shimano-exploring-new-methods-scouting-tomorrows-champions/

“We have explored the capacities of having a development team connected to our structure this past season, but found it not effective enough in developing our team structure as a whole to continue it for another season,” explained Team Giant-Shimano general manager, Iwan Spekenbrink.

So only one year of Giant Devo. A cost cutting exercise dressed up as a change of approach or am I too cycnical?
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2466
    « Reply #74 on: September 13, 2016, 13:22 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dumoulin-im-targeting-a-grand-tour-in-2017/

Dumoulin will target GC at a GT in 2017. I'm really curious to see how he will do. If he gets things right, he could be a genuine contender for the podium. Especially if e.g. the Giro tries to lure Froome with a lot of TT kilometers, Dumoulin could benefit. And beyond the TTs, an in-form Dumoulin would be a favourite for any week-long stage race featuring a TT as well. If he wins a race like Paris-Nice and finishes top-5 in a GT while winning a stage, it will be a success.

But if Dumoulin ruins his TT by losing too much weight, it will cost Sunweb/Giant. Other than Matthews - who I still think is a downgrade from Degenkolb - Tom is the only proven winner they have on the team. The team's success will largely depend on how Dumoulin will do, so they're taking a big risk. Unless they sign another rider in the next weeks, though I don't see who that could be really.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 550
    « Reply #75 on: February 05, 2017, 13:41 »
    Major Tom goes to South Africa to train. good choice

https://www.twitter.com/tom_dumoulin/status/828132549855739908
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: World Championships 2017 by t-72