collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10759
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Hoogerheide 2014 Cyclo-cross world championships 2014
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:20 »

Schedule
Saturday February 1   
09:00 - 10:30 am   Official training
11:00 am   Men Juniors ( under 18 )
01:00 - 02:30 pm   Official training
03:00 pm   Women Elite
Sunday February 2   
09:00 - 10:30 pm   Official training
11:00 am   Men under 23
01:00 - 02:30 pm   Official training
03:00 pm   Men Elite

The course is below

startlist found here

http://www.wkhoogerheide2014.com/HoogerheideEN/CONTESTANTS.aspx

mens Junior race is on now

Ok so I know next to nothing re cx but thought we needed something maybe someone can add

Womens race starts in 3.3o hours from now on this UCI channel

Seems to be a race in 3 Voss , Compton , Wyman

about as much as I know  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    First three medals all to *be.
    How many will they take in total - 6? 9? :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    First three medals all to *be.
    How many will they take in total - 6? 9? :D

The two biggest events will go to *nl

Lars & Marianne, king and queen of cyclocross :win
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    highlights

Jnr mens cx WC

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Women's summary

I tuned in just as Compton had problems on the first lap. Havlikova's bike was tangled with hers, possibly as the result of a crash. From that point forward, Compton had to spend the race chasing and ran out of gas spectacularly in the last third of the race.

Meanwhile up ahead, Vos had evidently become aware of the situation because she put the hammer down immediately, intending to race from the front as she likes to do. Lechner and Wyman stayed with her until the second lap when Lechner stalled on a climb and Wyman, now halted in her wake, slipped back and couldn't recover the ground.

Behind this pair, a small group formed including Cant, Ferrand-Prévot, Harris, De Boer and the veteran Kupfernagel. The latter two would DNF soon after crashing heavily in separate incidents.

Now in the niemansland between Vos out front and the chasers behind, Lechner raced consistently and skilfully but Vos dug in hard and opened up 30 seconds, increasing it to almost a minute by the finish.

Meanwhile, Wyman was overtaken by Belgian champion Cant and then a resurgent Compton but rallied strongly as Compton faded and Cant paid for her earlier efforts to reach the chasers.

Lechner held on to second place despite visibly tiring and making some late mistakes and Wyman took Britain's first Worlds medal in thirteen years.

But the day was all about Vos, performing on primetime national television before her home crowd. Spectators were left wondering what might have happened had Compton still been in the race but nobody would deny that the Fox showed incredible stamina and toughness, thoroughly deserving what is now her seventh world title.

1. *nl Marianne VOS
    2. *it Eva LECHNER
    3. *uk Helen WYMAN
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    really happy for Helen Wyman  :cool
    I like her
    as for Compton..way too bad that the start happened like that…I don't think she had it mentally this week tho…after last week's pullout and probs and it looked as if she had peaked a couple of weeks too early this season. 

I note that Vos usually doesn't have to deal with crap like that on the first lap/start…maybe her skill/expertise/whatever seems to keep her out of incidents that cost her the race

good women's race though  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Chuffed for Helen, well deserving of a podium to add to her British title and Euro title. Great ride By Nikki too to finish in the top 5.

Helen and Stef do so much for the sport in britain without any BC help, and Helen does it without the backing of a team behind her as well, hats off to Kona.

Well chuffed
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I note that Vos usually doesn't have to deal with crap like that on the first lap/start…maybe her skill/expertise/whatever seems to keep her out of incidents that cost her the race

Compton is unfortunately rather well known for her poor starts. She does a brilliant job of working her way through the field but on a day when the luck is not with her ...

We see that Vos is fast. She can handle a reduced sprint like the thriller we saw at the Olympic RR. This much is clear in CX: she is technically not the best - Lechner showed much better, MTB-influenced handling skills - but the Dutchwoman has the power in her legs to pull away on the road and more solid sections.

Vos is indeed the complete cyclist and on a relatively straightforward parcours (from a technical pov) like Hoogerheide, she can make it count. I can't be sure Compton would have matched Vos here even on a good day.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Vos is far more than just power though. She is tactically good and knows how the peloton works: she is very rarely involved in crashes and knows better than anyone who to follow. But importantly in cx: she does not make mistakes. Vos did not get her initial gap due to big accellerations, but simply because everyone else makes mistakes.

And an insane amount of power only adds to that :)

Vos! :win :daotec :rave :fanfare :flo
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I saw Eddy Merckx in person once, at the 2011 Worlds in Copenhagen.
    But I only know his career from books, old footage and hearsay. The same counts for Roger de Vlaeminck.

I consider myself honoured to live in the era of Marianne Vos, being able to follow her career first-hand.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    U23 result:

1. *be Wout VAN AERT he of the false start
    2. *be Michael VANTOURENHOUT
    3. *nl Mathieu VAN DER POEL
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1143
    The two biggest events will go to *nl

Already missed, lol.

Woutje, Prince of cyclocross ! *be *be *be  :D

Poor Mathieu, though. What happened? I don't believe he can't stand pressure. Too much racing, perhaps: road + cross ! Hoogerheide seems to be the graveyard for Dutch favourites, be careful Lars.  :D

Hope Paprtska is disqualified for his sprint against Bosman, there.  :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Already missed, lol.

Nope, two biggest events are women's and men's elites, one of which has been captured already by the magnificent Marianne Vos!

Woutje, Prince of cyclocross ! *be *be *be  :D

Poor Mathieu, though. What happened? I don't believe he can't stand pressure. Too much racing, perhaps: road + cross ! Hoogerheide seems to be the graveyard for Dutch favourites, be careful Lars.  :D

Hope Paprtska is disqualified for his sprint against Bosman, there.  :shh

Mathieu has been beaten a number of times by the Belgians this year, not such a surprise really. He's first year in the U23 category, younger than most of his opponents.

But I missed the U23 race, so can't say anything about how it went otherwise. Will have to watch the highlights when they are online.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1143
    He looked really bad at some point in the race, was even passed by David, hence my comment ;). But at the end of the aforelast lap he found new strengths and caught Aerts and Sweeck to go for bronze.

I know he's U23#1 but van Aert is but a few months older ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 15:12 by Echoes »

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Elite Men

1. *cz Zdenek STYBAR
    2. *be Sven NYS
    3. *be Kevin PAUWELS

After a dreadful start for some of the big names including Albert, Stybar and Nys quickly distanced Mourey and Van der Haar who crashed three times.

While the bronze medal changed hands on several occasions during the race, up ahead there was a grand duel between the powerful Czech and the wily old Belgian which didn't lack for excitement.

Pauwels swept up Vantornout, Mourey and Van der Haar in a solid second half while Nys and Stybar both made costly mistakes.

Stybar crashed on the tight bend at the back of the course and following behind him, Nys was forced to dismount and skip over the hapless Czech but he could not gain a big advantage and, when it was his own turn to hit the deck on one of the u-turns, Stybar made up every lost bike length.

In the end, so closely matched that neither dared make a bike change, it was Stybar's relentless pressure on the final lap, coupled with what seemed to be slightly better traction in the deeper mud, that told as Nys appeared to get stuck in the woods.

Stybar would go to win comfortably, dethroning an admirable Nys, with the canny Pauwels getting bronze as consolation for an otherwise desultory season.

The question is how much we'll see those rainbow stripes between now and next year's Worlds in Tabor.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 15:32 by L'arriviste »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Everyone on twitter was going crazy for it, saying how exciting the race, I honestly must have been watching a different race.

yes, we had Stybar v Nys, but what else did the race offfer? Mourey, Pauwells, VdH, Albert, all just went round in circles.

Stybar winning? Hmm, like the guy, supported him as a cross rider, to a lesser extent (largely due to riding for LeFevre) support him as a road rider, but waltzing in and winning the worlds, and just how many races will we actually see the rainbow stripes next year?

People on twitter were quick to say Vos is the same, well, not really, the only reason she didnt do a full season was because she had a back op, and we will certainly see the stripes a lot next year.

Dissapointed overall.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Yep, you were watching a different race, Dim. Sorry about that.  :P :hug
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Fully agree, this was a great race. The beginning was hectic, with Mourey starting strong and immediately attacking while Bina crashed. The Belgians seemed unable to cope at the start, only Nys was in a decent position. Once Stybar and Nys got their gap it was clear they were the strongest two of the race, but that didn't reduce the tension. Both just kept attacking, trying to make the other suffer, and both at moments seemed to have the race won only for the other to catch up. And behind them Pauwels made an impressive comeback from a bad start, as did Vantornhout.

Lars had a lot of bad luck. That Bina crash in the first lap cost him a lot of strength and broke his rhythm. He would never have been able to match Stybar and Nys unfortunately, but I think he was the third best rider in the race and should have won bronze if he were a bit luckier.

What happened to Albert this second half of the season? He was nowhere this race. I know he crashed during a test lap, but I didn't think he was that hurt by it?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    What happened to Albert this second half of the season? He was nowhere this race. I know he crashed during a test lap, but I didn't think he was that hurt by it?

I have two theories about Albert:

First is that he dropped too much weight this season.

Second, and I think far more compelling, is that mentally he seems very fragile. Despite that bad start, I think he finished lower than he had to yesterday because he just wasn't into it.

When he's positive, he can be brilliant, but on a bad run I just think he doesn't have it in his head to turn it around. He seems terribly sensitive and a lot more intelligent than most pro cyclists.

He was a young World Champion and he clearly has bags of talent but sometimes I think his only strategy is to win what he can while waiting for Nys to retire. I have a lot of time for him but being a Niels fan is a rollercoaster ride! :D
  • ReplyReply

•