collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5605
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:47 »
It appears we didn't have a thread for this yet. So I started one. :D

And I start it with this brilliant ad: :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 140
    • Vale Craig1985
    Re: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:11 »
    Fus, that ad is fantastic. Cheers for that.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2454
    « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:22 »
  • ReplyReply

• August

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 215
    • Awards: 2013 Bingo Champion
    « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 15:19 »
    That is just awesome.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8455
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 16:04 »
    I am really looking forward to the games, from a sportive perspection. I will not be around for the first couple of days unfortunately, but we should see some thrilling competitions.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Deping

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 17:03 »
    I shouldn't be watching it on principle, but I love Olympic opening and closing ceremonies.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 17:44 »
    Hi Deping, :welcome to Velorooms!
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 17:59 »
    My favourite athletes of these games.

And even better, they are sisters!!

Edit:

And the sisters win a gold and silver, sadly Maxine did not medal.

Happy parents I would guess.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 20:03 by Icebreaker »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 17:59 »
    Mens cross skiing sprint final was amazing did anyone see it? reminded me a bit about this.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 22:40 by DB-Coop »

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 13:54 »
    Men's hockey tournament: *cz 4 - 2 *lv

It was a nice game. Latvia played well, and the Czechs finally showed some good, fluid and technical hockey - just the kind I love to see. The first 30 minutes were pretty even, but then the Latvians weren't as good anymore; their skating-heavy play, always attacking with four players, must have been too much in the end.
    Good combinations between Plekanec and Jágr as well. Although he'll turn 42 tomorrow, Jágr is still a hell of a player, with a great touch. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 14:01 »
    Lots of anticipating on BBC at the moment, as Great Britain brace themselves for a gold medal courtesy of Lizzie Yarnold. Nothing decided just yet, but it is certainly looking that way.

And Curling.. what a sport :pray Lovely performance by the GB women this morning. Utterly dominated the Japanese in the end and they helped their chances of going through. GB men also looking strong there..
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 14:10 »
    I didn't realize Russia had  both the last 2 NHL MVP winners and that Ovechkin is the best player of the last decade.

The bbc intro into the ice hockey mens just made them sound like a decent team who might win a medal through home rink advantage.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 397
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 14:51 »
    I didn't realize Russia had  both the last 2 NHL MVP winners and that Ovechkin is the best player of the last decade.

The bbc intro into the ice hockey mens just made them sound like a decent team who might win a medal through home rink advantage.

I wouldn't trust the BBC commentators at all. They don't know that Olympic Games is played by the international rulebook and not the NHL one. As there's significant differences in the rules between the two books. Such knowledge is elementary imho.

They don't read the game well and sometimes they just describes what's happening on the ice rather than putting it in to a context.

Before the tournament Russia, Canada, Sweden and USA are favorites. Possibly the first two had an advantage.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 16:09 »
    I'd say that no matter what tournament it is and what players are on the team, Russia is to hockey what Brazil is to football:
    They didn't invent it, but they're always a big favourite in an international tournament.

I have to say that after watching one full match (and the first period of *cz - *se), I am positively surprised by the DR commentators. It helps that one of them is a former Denmark player and current coach (and the father of the Montreal Canadiens' Lars Eller).
    Of course I don't watch a lot of hockey, but they analyse the match and know the players.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 16:26 »
    I am positively surprised by the DR commentators.

DR normally does a good job at finding commentators, it seems like they because they air so little sport hires their guys from time to time finding people that know the sport whereas other Danish channels just use the guys they have on staff, having a guy that is primarily a cycling commentator voicing his opinion on Hockey. Even with their NBA broadcast they just decided to hire the people that does the show on DK4 to work for DR3 as well, lovely. No TV3 NFL failure.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 18:47 »
    Time to rack up the medalcount tomorrow! 1500 m mens speedskating!
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 20:33 »
    I'd say that no matter what tournament it is and what players are on the team, Russia is to hockey what Brazil is to football:
    They didn't invent it, but they're always a big favourite in an international tournament.

I have to say that after watching one full match (and the first period of *cz - *se), I am positively surprised by the DR commentators. It helps that one of them is a former Denmark player and current coach (and the father of the Montreal Canadiens' Lars Eller).
    Of course I don't watch a lot of hockey, but they analyse the match and know the players.

Really? I would have thought Canada. Afterall in Canada hockey really is the number 1 sport
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 21:15 »
    Really? I would have thought Canada. Afterall in Canada hockey really is the number 1 sport

Russia has far more people though. But I would say they are pretty much option 1a and 1b followed by the other of the big 7 nations. Sweden a likely 3rd imo.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 14:54 »
    Absolutely awesome hockey at the moment. :cool
    *ru 2 - 2 *usa (going into overtime)
    Incredibly fast-paced match, Russia playing a bit better in my opinion. The Russians simply have a better technique than the Americans who play more physically.
    No matter who wins, this is awesome.

Also, *sk Slovakia really going down, lost 1-3 to *si Slovenia!
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 09:14 »
    This tutorial on hockey 101 is quite good.  There are some small differences between NHL and international rules. However as for understanding the game it's perfect.

One difference that is notable in Olympics is that the rink in Europe is much bigger (4 m wider) which mean that defencemen usually needs to skate more whilst defending their zone.  Goaltenders will recieve shots from different angles than in NHL. Which is important to adjust to because goal tenders style of play today is to cut off angles and deflect shots rather than react to shots.

An example of this is the Czech first goal against Sweden (besides recieving no help from defencemen) Henrik Lundquist is somewhat misplaced in the goal and Czechs score their first goal.
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 10:31 »
    For those of you who think that waxing is a trivial over emphasized issue in cross-country skiing these numbers could be of interest. Sweden has spent 1,5 million $ on waxing and gathering data on weather/snow conditions in Sotji. However, Norway has spent twice as much since the last olympic games in Vancouver.
  • ReplyReply

• Xe.no

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 14
    « Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 12:03 »
    Norways glide project costs even more. Over 4 million $ or about 3 million € over the last 4 years since Vancouver. And Norway have had terrible skis the last couple of distances. And no one seems to know why. Maybe it is too many cooks in the million € waxing trailer. In to this olympics it has been a cooperation between xc-skiing and biathlon for the first time. Its's frustrating. Luckily there are other sports to follow  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • I'm sorry if my English is poor. But hey it could be worse, he could be dead like my French

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 17:37 »
    Any time I see Canada and Finland play hockey I know it's going to be a good game.   So far this is not disappointing me.
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 17:58 »
    I've made a rough principal sketch on Canandian hockey tactic. Take the puck to the net. Put the puck into the net.

Combine that with individual skills as the Russian players has, and you'll get an effective game.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 18:30 by Gotland »

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 18:03 »
    :win :win :win

When Eden played the decisive shot which handed the match to GB I got up and did a little dance (ok I ran around the room screaming). What a match and what a sport curling is, the snooker of ice (ok maybe not). But the match was so incredibly tense and GB did enough to hang in, start losing it in the final end and then the second last shot which handed Murdoch an opportunity for the two and Eden's miss which handed it to GB!!!

This ensures GB's record Winter Olympic tally of 1936 will be equaled here and could even be bettered if the Christie and the GB women have anything say in the matter.
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
    « Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 03:09 »
    Screw it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:28 by Icebreaker »

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 03:36 »
    Finland is so awesome. Definitely deserve to be in the Final against Canada.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 04:10 »
    Finland is so awesome. Definitely deserve to be in the Final against Canada.

Problem is, I don't see Canada in the final.  Not unless a very different team shows up on Friday.
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 13:19 »
    The Hockey tournament in Sochi has been really strange compared to Vancouver were basically every game was epic. I wonder if most NHL players are more or less suffering from the jet lag and that causes the ups and downs in the games and the lack of consistency.
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 15:55 »
    I am watching the women's curling final and the Swedish team have made a couple of fatal errors in this 9th end that really surprise me. Not cleaning the ice in front of the Second's last rock, and the rock picked up some debris on the ice.  Just quit turning.   Then the Swedish third completely missed her shot and threw right through the house.   Ouch.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde by AG
    [Today at 01:40]

Re: De Ronde van Vlaanderen by AG
    [Today at 00:37]

Re: Khaos: The Lost Frontier by krabkakes
    [March 29, 2017, 23:26]

Re: Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde by search
    [March 29, 2017, 21:29]

Re: Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde by t-72