collapse

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 397
  • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
Re: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 16:03 »
I am watching the women's curling final and the Swedish team have made a couple of fatal errors in this 9th end that really surprise me. Not cleaning the ice in front of the Second's last rock, and the rock picked up some debris on the ice.  Just quit turning.   Then the Swedish third completely missed her shot and threw right through the house.   Ouch.

Yup and more ouch were to come. Three points down in the 10 end, not having the hammer, and the final is lost. They have done well though, going into the tournament ranked six in the world.

Three time olympic champion in a row would have push it too far anyway.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 19:59 »
    Holy cow!  That Women's hockey final.  Holy cow!
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1737
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 20:03 »
    :win :win :win
    What a match and what a sport curling is, the snooker of ice (ok maybe not).

Probably the best definition of what curling is I've ever heard. Both sports should be terrible TV sports, but for some reason I don't mind watching either really, it seems like something that one would debunk as boring, but both are watchable sports, that are good to watch when too much thinking is not wanted.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 21:50 »
    Probably the best definition of what curling is I've ever heard. Both sports should be terrible TV sports, but for some reason I don't mind watching either really, it seems like something that one would debunk as boring, but both are watchable sports, that are good to watch when too much thinking is not wanted.
    Indeed I was thinking and what strikes me about both sports is the tactical brilliance and ease which is so apparent when watching. The British press have enjoyed labelling Curling "Chess on ice", which is pretty poor, but the idea of the complex tactics is certainly something which I really enjoy watching. You don't need too watch it so intensely as the players are far ahead of you in their calculations, but doing so really enriches the game and I really enjoy seeing a tactical end come to a close in satisfactory fashion just as much as I enjoy O'Sullivan completing a rapid, yet geniusly compiled century break.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 949
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 02:54 »
    curling= bowls on ice, latter a great sport to play.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 03:26 »
    Lawn Bowls on ice with brooms.

It seems absurd to even exist. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 270
    • Awards: 2017 Vuelta Prediction Champ2017 Worlds Prediction Champ2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game Champ
    « Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 07:30 »
    Shouting, screaming, constantly re-arranging things and sweeping,

No wonder women are so good at Curling.....
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 10:24 »
    Indeed I was thinking and what strikes me about both sports is the tactical brilliance and ease which is so apparent when watching. The British press have enjoyed labelling Curling "Chess on ice", which is pretty poor, but the idea of the complex tactics is certainly something which I really enjoy watching. You don't need too watch it so intensely as the players are far ahead of you in their calculations, but doing so really enriches the game and I really enjoy seeing a tactical end come to a close in satisfactory fashion just as much as I enjoy O'Sullivan completing a rapid, yet geniusly compiled century break.

To me the tactics in curling seems really strange, I understand the point of guarding the house and all, the thing I don't understand is why no team takes advantage of the fact that the game is biased towards the team with last stone in the first end. Here is my unbeatable curling tactics. Wherever first stone team sends its stone. You play a hard takeout and bring your stone out of play as well. You do this on all the stones in the first end including the last one. Zeroing the end. You repeat this process until the last stone of the 10th where you play a takeout where your stone stays, straight on, and you win the 10th end 1-0 blanking the rest meaning you win 1-0. All the stones you throw are really easy, so a curling pro should be able not to miss a takeout with no guards for a whole game easily. Meaning basically if you don't start you should win.

The people that play snooker makes pool-sharks seem like goldfish to be fair, how can you basically clean the table off from your second turn. Honestly the only time snooker gets really fun is when one player is down and he has to play for a double or a triple snooker. The rest of the time it is just relaxing to look at.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26 »
    Lawn Bowls on ice with brooms.

It seems absurd to even exist. :D

Probably still takes a second on the list of absurd sports below dressage.

Invented by a French king, who wanted to create ballet on horses. now that is absurd. :o

Polo basically being croquet on horseback would have to be up there as well.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 949
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 10:39 »
    More than sliding down ice on a tea tray or, for that matter, bog snorkelling?

Shouting, screaming, constantly re-arranging things and sweeping,

No wonder women are so good at Curling.....
    And the worse ones have lost their marbles.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1118
    « Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49 »
    To me the tactics in curling seems really strange, I understand the point of guarding the house and all, the thing I don't understand is why no team takes advantage of the fact that the game is biased towards the team with last stone in the first end. Here is my unbeatable curling tactics. Wherever first stone team sends its stone. You play a hard takeout and bring your stone out of play as well. You do this on all the stones in the first end including the last one. Zeroing the end. You repeat this process until the last stone of the 10th where you play a takeout where your stone stays, straight on, and you win the 10th end 1-0 blanking the rest meaning you win 1-0. All the stones you throw are really easy, so a curling pro should be able not to miss a takeout with no guards for a whole game easily. Meaning basically if you don't start you should win.

The people that play snooker makes pool-sharks seem like goldfish to be fair, how can you basically clean the table off from your second turn. Honestly the only time snooker gets really fun is when one player is down and he has to play for a double or a triple snooker. The rest of the time it is just relaxing to look at.
    You're not allowed to take out the first two opposition stones if they're in front of the painted bit.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2017
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 12:08 »

Invented by a French king, who wanted to create ballet on horses. now that is absurd. :o

Hockey on horseback, perhaps. 

You've evidently never played croquet: not exactly a high octane sport, but for sheer malevolence towards your opponent, it's great.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 12:49 »
    British Curling Fever

• ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 13:15 »

Dressage is pretentious rich people showing off their horses and pretentiousness. Calling it a sport is being kind but it's existence you can understand.

Hockey on horses seems like fun. I am assuming of course that Polo has goals. :D
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 13:17 »
    Moguls has to be the most ridiculous sport.

Not only does it look like it will kill your knees, but you have two ridiculous bits of acrobatics at the start and finish.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 17:51 »
    Hockey on horseback, perhaps. 

You've evidently never played croquet: not exactly a high octane sport, but for sheer malevolence towards your opponent, it's great.

you've evidently never played croquet with me, normally it gets pretty intense around the time, someone, me, hits the pin in the end and end up tossing the club at much danger to everyone else.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 17:52 »
    You're not allowed to take out the first two opposition stones if they're in front of the painted bit.

Never knew that, thanks.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 17:55 »
    Moguls has to be the most ridiculous sport.
    Buzkashi beats it I am afraid.

From Wikipedia: "Buzkashi or Kokpar is the Central Asian sport in which horse-mounted players attempt to drag a goat carcass toward a goal."

I found moguling (is that the word?) surprisingly easy the few times I did it. I think I did the mogul slope 3 times and apart from running over a ski instructor that positioned himself and a class in the middle of the hill, and almost falling over a wall at the bottom of the slope and onto a road it went pretty easy. On artificial snow it was a lot harder.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 18:32 »
    Buzkashi beats it I am afraid.

From Wikipedia: "Buzkashi or Kokpar is the Central Asian sport in which horse-mounted players attempt to drag a goat carcass toward a goal."

I found moguling (is that the word?) surprisingly easy the few times I did it. I think I did the mogul slope 3 times and apart from running over a ski instructor that positioned himself and a class in the middle of the hill, and almost falling over a wall at the bottom of the slope and onto a road it went pretty easy. On artificial snow it was a lot harder.
    Rambo 3
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 19:32 »
    Yes go Canada! Canada goalie played an amazing game against America.
  • ReplyReply

•