• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6786
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Caring for matt paintjobs
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:08 »
I had a DM asking me how I care for the matt paintjob on my Wilier. I couldn't respond to that directly because my Wilier doesn't have a matt paintjob, but the topic peaked my interest.

Matt finishes are very popular these days, it seems. Pastro's new bike is done in matt. It's a stealthy, unreconstructed look that hints at prototype, bleeding edge materials and more than a little of the Batmobile.

My Look bike is unpainted carbon and it often gets inexplicable streaks on it, particularly if I didn't wash my hands properly just after a lube job. So that got me thinking: how does one make matt paint look continually nice? Does it hold the dirt differently? Are there any particular problems with it?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 665
    Re: Caring for matt paintjobs
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:46 »
    I had a DM asking me how I care for the matt paintjob on my Wilier. I couldn't respond to that directly because my Wilier doesn't have a matt paintjob, but the topic peaked my interest.

Matt finishes are very popular these days, it seems. Pastro's new bike is done in matt. It's a stealthy, unreconstructed look that hints at prototype, bleeding edge materials and more than a little of the Batmobile.

My Look bike is unpainted carbon and it often gets inexplicable streaks on it, particularly if I didn't wash my hands properly just after a lube job. So that got me thinking: how does one make matt paint look continually nice? Does it hold the dirt differently? Are there any particular problems with it?

the answer is: I don't know  :P
    same thing happens to me. I think it's because the matte paint is rougher, and not smooth as a glossy one. the same feel of greasy hands happens to me when I see the frame after I touched it. also dirt is picked up easier (also because of the not smooooth matte paint surface)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46 »
    It occurred to me just now that I have a can of a mysterious Morgan Blue product called "carbon polish" which I haven't used yet. Perhaps that is what will work - on raw carbon surfaces anyway. :)
  • ReplyReply

• al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 96
    « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:10 »
    I'm not in the position to worry about it either but a quick Google using cars as starting point did throw up some options

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/06/hyundai-explains-how-to-care-for-matte-paint-job.html
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 04:39 »
    I find that alcohol wipes work well on the Super Six, good for cleaning the drivetrain too. If it's REALLY dirty, I wash it with car wash, dry it, then spray it with some Mr Sheen (a furniture polish) or WD-40 (if nothing else available, don't get it on the chain!!!) and give it a thorough wipe down with a clean cloth. Works a treat.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 21:34 »
    My Canyon cames matt and they sugest some wax which I forget the name. Otherwise is pain in the ass. Really dont know why people are so crazy about that matt, its make me sick. You can see every single scratch and its not so cool anymore. Building Madone 5.9 today in matt!!!! And internal super pain in the ass cable routing, I really love idea of those aero shape handlebars and internal routing :D Its really makes my life easy and helps smooth shifting. No matt!

• ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!