• Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Re: Trolling and Abuse
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2014, 20:51 »
A good thread worth bumping...

Just came across this.

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/12/6/7342171/trolls-einstein-curie

Brief digression: the encounter in Brussels to which Einstein refers here was the Conseil Solvay, the first international conference of its kind established to discuss cutting edge science problems. The list of attendees in 1911 is stuffed full of scientific rockstars, among whom Curie was, of course, the only woman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvay_Conference
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1420
    « Reply #61 on: August 19, 2016, 07:56 »
    I know realise how my first post was disconnected with reality.

The Internet is really inhuman. Most of the people I've met on it are incomprehensible (incl. on this forum). I've lost believe in mankind since this thing has come.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3897
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #62 on: March 25, 2018, 10:51 »
    Interesting reading back on this thread

so much of it still so applicable .... we really havent learnt much in the last 2 years
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1410
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #63 on: March 25, 2018, 14:48 »
    Had to go back to the start to figure out what you were talking about, AG. A lot of names on this thread it would be nice to see more of these days.
    . . . tragic suicide . . .highlighted - for me at least - a number of things . . .personal responsibility  . . . subjected to a bucketload of twitter abuse, and as a direct result of that attempted to commit suicide.

. . . cyber bullying  . . .

It has made me deeply consider everything I write and read on forums such as these.  We post opinions and ideas so easily, get into arguments -  ... but on a forum (or twitter), you cant.  . .see them, you dont know anything about them, and we hand out insults and say things that can be taken so badly

. . . 

Is it really that important that someone on the internet thinks you are right?

If only...

I think one of the issues is that people fall into the trap of equating internet interaction to 'real' interaction. But it isn't, there's nothing like it in the real world at all. And there should be a massive warning on the front of it that there are down sides to being able to speak to anybody in the world, whoever they are, wherever they are. They can all talk to you too.

Oy, AG, I had to go back. So, have we learned anything? Are some people still going to be trolls and asshats? Yes, and no, eh?

I would say we've learned a lot, but I'm not dealing with trolls and bullies on a daily basis anymore, either. Not all of what we have learned has been good.

The Arab Spring: wouldn't have happened w/o social media. Results? Mostly worse. There are other examples. Yesterday's gun-control marches in the US - wouldn't have been w/o social media. Results? Too soon to know. Many more examples. So those people have learned something.

Russian hacking. Ransomware. Data breaches. I think the world has learned a lot. Today the world at large is MUCH more aware of the possible uses of malware. Just to pat meself on me own back, I've been on that soapbox, preaching warnings for years.

Are we all better people? Nope. On that score, I think you are right.

Anyway, good thread.

Cheers, it's a beautiful day here! Cloudy, with a little rain that is spitting snow! But it is freakin' SPRING! And I love spring. And there's Gent-Wevelgem today. That should worth a little something, eh?
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:57]

Re: World Championships 2018 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:52]

Re: Turul României by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:45]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:45]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by t-72
    [September 18, 2018, 20:03]

Re: Retirement announcements by t-72