collapse

Jamsque

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 861
Re: Andy Schleck
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 16:38 »
Looking at the stats for the past three years, he did Tirreno -> Vasco -> Ardennes as his spring.

In 2009 when he actually won Liege, he was terrible until Amstel but he rode five stages of Tirreno and finished Pais Vasco, so he had some racing in his legs.

2010 and 2011 followed the same pattern of crap in Tirreno, better in Vasco (7th and 11th on the Alto Arrate stages), finishing both races both years.

This year it looks like the plan was Paris-Nice -> Catalunya -> ??? -> Ardennes, but he only manage two stages each at PN and Cat.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 17:34 »
    Looking at the stats for the past three years, he did Tirreno -> Vasco -> Ardennes as his spring.

In 2009 when he actually won Liege, he was terrible until Amstel but he rode five stages of Tirreno and finished Pais Vasco, so he had some racing in his legs.

2010 and 2011 followed the same pattern of crap in Tirreno, better in Vasco (7th and 11th on the Alto Arrate stages), finishing both races both years.

This year it looks like the plan was Paris-Nice -> Catalunya -> ??? -> Ardennes, but he only manage two stages each at PN and Cat.

So on 2012 so far he is hardly likely to be a contender for LBL and he would want to start looking at commencing his TdF preparation!!!
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 36
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 16:20 »
    Here's  funny tweet

BREAKING #AGR NEWS:Andy Schleck fractured a finger nail vigorously celebrating 57th place;has been put down under order of @johanbruyneel
  • ReplyReply
  • - Australia's greatest sporting moment

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 16:21 »
    Might well be true. :o
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 28
    • Just a fan. Also, not a man.
      • FYC
    « Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 22:38 »
    4-3 to abandons. He's making progress! He usually hopes to do something in Liege-Bastogne-Liege so I wonder if he can find some kind of a spark from somewhere or if he's just absolutely hating Radioshack right now and would rather be at home.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 00:51 »
    But isnt finishing 59th at AGR a good result ???
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4450
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 17:33 »
    But isnt finishing 59th at AGR a good result ???

59th?

91.       SCHLECK Andy   RNT   05'39"
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 17:59 »
    Daniel Benson tweeted this a couple of days ago; 'No matter how poor Andy Schleck is now, you know he'll be a contender for the Tour de France'

Unfortunately, it's probably true but does perhaps suggest that fun as it is, what's the point in caring about this part of Andy's season when he so demonstrably does not himself.
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 21:18 »
    I think that was a typo by dan. He meant "the tour.......

...of california"

This years tour de france is about as suited to andy schleck as i am to nine inch stilleto's

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 21:48 »
    I think that was a typo by dan. He meant "the tour.......

...of california"

This years tour de france is about as suited to andy schleck as i am to nine inch stilleto's

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2 in my nine inch stilleto's  ::)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 21:59 »
    Im thinking the micro mini skirt was a bad idea

• ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 22:02 »
    Im thinking the micro mini skirt was a bad idea

Do ya think, I am not so sure  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485

Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 00:12 »

Havetts:
    Easy to bash Schleck like this but if someone else said it no one would be howling like the wolves smelling blood when theyre hungry. Lol

zam:
    beacuse that was a whine

The Hitch:
    What did schleck say?

zam:
    i dont dislike andy schleck

DinZ:
    people did try and attack, pace was really high

Havetts:
    When Andy attacked, only two guys jumped on his wheel. Those defending Purito & Gasparotto.

Havetts:
    I really dont get why no one of the teams without major favorites jumped on his wheel.

DinZ:
    but there had been other attacks around that time

Havetts:
    Only Armee just got caught from his Chas Patatte

DinZ:
    the only guys that would be willing to go in a group with Andy were the ones who were willing to wait

Havetts:
    Not sure, it was obvious Andy wasnt on peak form in AGR. About 90 guys were better, none of them jumped his wheel..

DinZ:
    i think the teams know what they are doing

DinZ:
    there were guys that thought they could take it on final climb

DinZ:
    there were others that wanted to attack from further out

DinZ:
    some tried and failed

Havetts:
    mhm.. I still think the earpieces have major influence in that.

DinZ:
    others could not get away

DinZ:
    i refuse to believe that people were not trying to win the race

Havetts:
    I am not saying that, I am just saying if you see a possible attack with good chances why dont people jump itve that people were not trying to win the race

Havetts:
    instead of waiting to be lead to the slaughterhouse on the Mur.

DinZ:
    because for some people leaving Andy to hang out in front was a good tactic as well

DinZ:
    i remember one of the climbs near the end, lotto had it really strung out

Havetts:
    Correct, but in the end it was only succesfull for Katusha, 23 other teams got blasted, unless everyone is in for the 2nd spot and the WT points.

Havetts:
    Bit of a radical statement but I sometimes question the tactics.

DinZ:
    think there were other riders that thought they could take JRod. they were wrong.

DinZ:
    i think sometimes people over simplify it

DinZ:
    when Ryder and Lars went i think if 2 or 3 other riders could have gone with them they would have done

Havetts:
    Yea, but there are about 5 who could come close. Assume theyre from 5 different teams, that means 18 teams have noreason to wait till the Mur.

DinZ:
    not sure people were hanging back, riders just did not have legs to go with them

Havetts:
    Yea, could be very true..

DinZ:
    just feels a little like a petulant child to me. he is having a crap season, the race did not go well, so blame others

• ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 00:24 »
    Well at least he cares about FW. Which im happy about. Too often Schlecks have dismissed these races as small. Andy said himself he doesnt feel like hes own a big race - blatant f u to Liege.

I would much rather have him upset that things didnt go well in Fleche, and try, than roll in 10 minutes behind  and smile that its all for the tour and these races are below him.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 00:25 »
    and it goes on..i edit everything so that it would be in order...not like it would appear in shoutbox... i deserve a thannk you :P

DinZ:
    i just think the strongest guys who had legs misjudged it. JRod was too good. he creamed them

Havetts:
    I dont think its blaming.. It is not like he wouldve won if people would attack aswell. The way I view it he just wonders why most just lets them get beat so easily.

Il Grillo:
    It's pointless to attack before the Mur

Il Grillo:
    If Schleck doesn't realize that then he's a bigger fool than I thought

DinZ:
    yeah, the problem with Andy is he seems to do this so much, when he does it irritates me immediately.

DinZ:
    would be interested, how successful have attacks been in FW before?

DinZ:
    is it always won from a group on the Mur?

Il Grillo:
    all failed since 2004

DinZ:
     ok so once then

DinZ:
    and next question is how many times, when a genuine contender has Andy attacked in the race?

Il Grillo:
    check that out lol

Il Grillo:
    [link] http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_retro/1.511308

Il Grillo:
    never lol

Havetts:
    lmao Gewiss..

Havetts:
    60% HCT, no problemo

All of you are welcome

• ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
      • FYC
    « Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 00:27 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schlecks-frustrated-at-la-fleche-wallonne

impressive whine skill he have.

:fp
    It's frustration fuelled nonsense and arrogance though Frank's puncture was at a most unfortunate time.
    Given his current form, indeed his entire form this year, I don't see why any of the teams would feel the need to react to an Andy Schleck attack.  The majority knew they wanted to play a waiting game for the decisive final climb, why should they panic and chase down Andy who, it's not unlikely to think, wouldn't be in final contention (or even finish)?
    I'm glad though to see some emotion at last, that's a refreshing change even if it is silly.

Do you think Andy reads internet forums? I hope for his sake he does not.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 00:29 »
    Well at least he cares about FW. Which im happy about. Too often Schlecks have dismissed these races as small. Andy said himself he doesnt feel like hes own a big race - blatant f u to Liege.

I would much rather have him upset that things didnt go well in Fleche, and try, than roll in 10 minutes behind  and smile that its all for the tour and these races are below him.

Good point. although was he only upset cause he wanted Frank to win?

if he can turn it round, use his anger and try to win LBL then it is fine.
    so long as he doesn't go to LBL, lose and start complaining again
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 00:34 »
    It's frustration fuelled nonsense and arrogance though Frank's puncture was at a most unfortunate time.
    Given his current form, indeed his entire form this year, I don't see why any of the teams would feel the need to react to an Andy Schleck attack.  The majority knew they wanted to play a waiting game for the decisive final climb, why should they panic and chase down Andy who, it's not unlikely to think, wouldn't be in final contention (or even finish)?
    I'm glad though to see some emotion at last, that's a refreshing change even if it is silly.

Would not affect him. he does think the other teams know what they are doing, so why would he think a bunch of randoms on the internet had anything worthwhile to say

i hope to stand corrected but i just feel like events over last year have messed with his head

Like you said on twitter he has a tour but he did not really win it.
    then he had a chance to win last year with Contador distracted and failed
    then no contador this year and they take it away from him with 100km of TT

then a change in management to a more hands off approach?

Think his mental space is all wrong and he has no one kicking him back into shape.

feel like he needs an old skool, no nonsense DS (preferably an old grumpy frenchman) to tell him to pull his head in, stop flipping about and just bloody well get on with it

i really hope he sorts it out as worry the tour will be less of a race without an Andy on the start line that truly believes he can win it
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
      • FYC
    « Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 00:38 »
    Good point. although was he only upset cause he wanted Frank to win?

Likely, yes.  Although it could be a little bit of hurt pride that pretty much no one reacted to his attack but it's more likely that Frank's race hopes were dashed.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #50 on: April 19, 2012, 01:27 »
    this time they did genuinely have a bit of bad luck ... but instead of taking it like men - saying "ah well, bad luck sucks but we will be back at Liege'  they have to whinge about the way everyone else rode anyway.

I think they honestly do not understand public relations  (as well as bike riding :P)
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 02:52 »

Good question, considering some of the drivel he spews, I find it curious if the fella reads at all.

Sook or not, he rode yesterday, and that's an improvement from where he was at the start of the week.
  • ReplyReply

• ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 239
    « Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 04:52 »
    At least he's starting to look like a professional biker racer. Whiney frustration is better than disinterest.

If he genuinely wanted some other riders to work with him then he should have made some overtures. With Purito's poor showing in Amstel, I think several teams were happy to take their chances against him in the final but there would have been some teams willing to work with Andy. Movistar was certainly active in attacking. He could even have invited somebody on a small team to ride with him and get on TV. Instead, he stormed off at a time when Katusha was in full control at the front.

I think some of his best rides have been when he was angry so maybe he'll be good in LBL. Radioshack has a really good team for that one.
  • ReplyReply

• nobilis

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 92
      • En Chasse Patate
    « Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 10:02 »
    Andy, when interviewed before the race, said that, due to route change, a breakaway is more likely to survive, that's why he decided to attack. Well, he was wrong and misinformed.
  • ReplyReply
  • Me and my teammate's (the new Lebanese National Champion) cycling blog
    http://enchassepatate.blogspot.com/     
    @chasse_patate    @nobilis_tobilis

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 12:35 »
    First point, God chat c+p's are annoying to read

Second point, I think the major problem with Andy Schleck is the focusing on "not winning" which can create an inferior mentality or at least not one conducive to professional sports. He may be an awesome talent but just doesn't have that sportsman edge required.

I know a lot of teams in other professional sports try and get their players to avoid the easy win or doesn't matter type mentality but that can have a negative affect on performance. Also you want your team/sportsman to have they killer focus week in week out, disrupting that with a "dont need to go out as hard" message can alter things down the track as well, whereas going out with that focus to win, that aggressiveness and pattern can help you form that sort of mentality has a habit, which can only benefit you down the track. Best example I can come up with is in Aussie Rules and the new young sides, even though they are basically junior teams, the opposing teams will still face them with most of their regular players and will come out hard and blow them away. Another example closer to home in cycling, which may be a bit extreme is Contador, always racing to win.

Point I am trying to make about Andy is that he needs a massive mentality shift and needs to actually prepare himself to go out there and race ftw at more than just the Tour. He may think its fine focusing solely on the Tour but it hasn't really worked for him and it really hasn't given him an edge over his competitors, indeed it seems to be a block and a disadvantage. If you don't race to win in lesser circumstances how can you expect to do it on the biggest stage race of all? Sure, Armstrong might come up as an example but all beetroot talk aside, is was an amazing, freak of an athlete who knew his body extremely well and knew how to train exceptionally well. Over the last few years it is clear that Andy is none of those things.

I'm not actually an Andy knocker, I think a lot of the criticism levelled at him is absurd but his mentality is definitely something that comes across as needing to change in order for him to become the sportsman his early talent suggests he could become.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 13:09 »
    I actually agree with you Tuarts.

he needs to go in some 1 week stage races - and actually try and win them.  Race against these guys, learn how to pull them back when it counts, learn how to get a jersey, how to defend it, how to cope with the mental stuff and pull a really big one when it counts.

At the moment, the only stage races he does - he doesnt finish more often than he does, and when he does its at the back of the field.   There is a big difference between doing a race as a dom for another team member, and doing it for race fitness but totally not caring about the result.
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
      • FYC
    « Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 20:53 »
    Would not affect him. he does think the other teams know what they are doing, so why would he think a bunch of randoms on the internet had anything worthwhile to say

Andy has read fansites in the past and Frank reads CyclingNews so there is a chance they'll stumble upon something less than favourable.  You're right though in not thinking it has any foundation and to be fair, finding the constructive parts in all the flack is not likely to be something they'd spend time doing (understandably).

I'm not actually an Andy knocker, I think a lot of the criticism levelled at him is absurd but his mentality is definitely something that comes across as needing to change in order for him to become the sportsman his early talent suggests he could become.

I completely agree about the mentality. He has the talent but the way he conducts himself with his attitude towards racing suggests - regardless of the truth or not - that he doesn't care.  This surely cannot be true yet half-arsed is how he comes across which in itself is absurd.  I almost wonder, given the arrogance at times, if he thinks he is as awesome as he can get and does not see himself that there is a need for change.

The level of criticism is excessive, he gets so much press and we talk about him so much yet his racing activities don't really merit it.  It feels like we're all waiting for him to have some kind of revelation and utilise the talent he has so we can all go "finally" and stop focussing on him like the puzzle he is.
    To clarify: the Galibier stage on last year's Tour de France. Where does that Andy go and why did he only show up once last year? More of that would be the thing, even if he doesn't win.
  • ReplyReply

• mimosin

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 18:22 »
    Point I am trying to make about Andy is that he needs a massive mentality shift and needs to actually prepare himself to go out there and race ftw at more than just the Tour. He may think its fine focusing solely on the Tour but it hasn't really worked for him and it really hasn't given him an edge over his competitors, indeed it seems to be a block and a disadvantage. If you don't race to win in lesser circumstances how can you expect to do it on the biggest stage race of all?
    You nailed it.  :tu Aside some technical and poor TT skills. This is the biggest reason he hasn't done better.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11133
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 05:23 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11133
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29 »
    Couple of interesting points

Kim will be at the tour with Me .

Sas winning before the tour if not important

at the   Critérium du Dauphiné it is important for him to win a mountain stage while not at 100 %

form is good - I always question this type of thing, numbers and feeling is not form

Form for me is around racing and winning or performing at a level
  • ReplyReply

•