collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11194
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: The Hour record
« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2015, 04:37 »
Dowsett said after he won tge Giro ITT he had to beg for a TT bike at home, and the win showed why it was important.

Rory Sunderland really likes the team as well, calls it a family atmosphere
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 480
    « Reply #241 on: May 07, 2015, 16:57 »
    As something of a traditionalist I can't believe I am suggesting this, but I think those riders who hold or have held the hour record should be able to show this on their team kit.  I am not suggesting any form of dilution of the sacred rainbow sleeve bands, but some other permanent recognition of their endeavour and achievement.

What do you think and what might work? 

Nb I appreciate the hour is track based but (as the placement of this thread shows) it transcends cycling so I would suggest that the suitable motif be allowable on track, road race and TT kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7664
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #242 on: May 07, 2015, 17:08 »
    As something of a traditionalist I can't believe I am suggesting this, but I think those riders who hold or have held the hour record should be able to show this on their team kit.  I am not suggesting any form of dilution of the sacred rainbow sleeve bands, but some other permanent recognition of their endeavour and achievement.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Samu had golden accents on his #euskaltel kit, and I believe he kept those even after 2012. The team winning the Worlds TTT gets a stupid logo to put on their kit (all team jerseys, not just those of the riders who participated) - Hour Record holders should have something similar.

At the very least, they should be allowed to put the logo on the board behind Dowsett on their personal kit & equipment:
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3670
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #243 on: May 08, 2015, 02:56 »
    As something of a traditionalist I can't believe I am suggesting this, but I think those riders who hold or have held the hour record should be able to show this on their team kit.
    I like the idea, but only if someone is a current record holder. Since "have held" could be for only a very short time, I think it would more appropriate to only go to an active rider for as long as they actually own the record.

At the very least, they should be allowed to put the logo on the board behind Dowsett on their personal kit & equipment:

I was imagining something a bit more subtle:
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #244 on: May 08, 2015, 08:43 »
    Very subtle indeed. Almost unnoticeable! :lol

I like the idea, but only if someone is a current record holder. Since "have held" could be for only a very short time, I think it would more appropriate to only go to an active rider for as long as they actually own the record.
    I can see why - but, e.g., Dowsett can't do for the fact that Wiggins' attempt is scheduled to be only one month after his own, can he?
    I believe an Hour Record Holder (past or present) should be entitled to 'ex-champion bands'. Make them blue or white, with that aforementioned logo.

The current holder could then have a more noticeable logo on his jersey.
    Maybe the size of it could be scaled according to how much he beat the record by ... :D
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #245 on: May 19, 2015, 00:11 »
    Interesting little bit of news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rnyr1

Bradley Wiggins competed in the (Hull) City Road Club 10 mile time trial on Saturday. Ten mile TTs on public roads are a great tradition of UK cycling clubs.

What makes this interesting is that the current British 10 mile record is held by one Alex Dowsett, and Wiggins fell short of his mark by 38 seconds. It doesn't really mean given that we are talking about barely regulated events on roads full of traffic and who knows what kind of weather conditions but still a bit juicy!

[edit] Also cool to see how many people were out standing on overpasses and hard shoulders just to watch Wiggo go by. Also he won 50 pounds for first place.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #246 on: May 19, 2015, 03:54 »
    Ten mile TTs on public roads are a great tradition of UK cycling clubs.

Interesting. I did not know that. I've been seeing some of the chatter about this event, but I had no idea they it was actually held on open roads.  :o

Crazy.

Also crazy is the speed with which Wiggins completely scorches past Andy Birdsall in that video. He's going damn near as fast as the cars!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #247 on: June 01, 2015, 21:19 »
    Only a few more days left before Wiggo's attempt.

UCI provides clarification about hour record doping control testing for Wiggins and others

I've edited the following to provide a tidy recap of recent attempts.

Jens Voigt — 51.110 km on September 18, 2014.

-IAM Cycling’s Matthias Brandle — 51.852 km on October 30, 2015

-BMC Racing Team’s Rohan Dennis — 52.491 km on February 8, 2015

-BMC Racing Team’s Alex Dowsett — 52.937 on  May 2, 2015

Bobridge, Dekker and Gustav Larsson (Cult Energy Pro Cycling) all came up short in their attempts.

Current UCI world time trial champion Wiggins has predicted that he will beat Dowsett’s record by over a kilometre when he takes it on this coming Sunday [June 7th]. At the start of May he suggested that he would likely go between 53.5 kilometres and 55 kilometres in the 60 minutes.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #248 on: June 02, 2015, 01:09 »
    Wiggins putting on his more reasonable face in this video.

Bradley Wiggins targeting 55.250km in hour record attempt

He'll not be accused of ignoring the details of the Hour attempt. With the right conditions, Wiggo suspects he may be able to surpass Boardman's record.
    “I’m not a weather man, but if you have really low pressure, under 1,000 [grams per cubic metre], you will travel a lot further on the day – anything up to 1km for the same power.

“The weather forecast for the first week in June is abnormally low pressure for London for that time of year, which is fantastic. That has dictated everything. You could go a kilometre either way depending on air pressure.
    “Pace judgement is everything in the hour record,” he said. “If you can ride 16.1 or 16.2-second laps constantly for 221 laps, and not go 15.9s or 16.4s, it’s keeping it on the line every lap, lap after lap.

Where you can watch Wiggins' hour

-Sky Sports 2HD

-Sky Sports' apps

-Freeview channel PICK

-www.skysports.com 

-Sky Sports' YouTube channel  That's great!
    God damn it! Live stream UK only.  :angry WTF?!

The attempt will take place from 6.30pm-7.30pm BST and we will screen every minute - uninterrupted by adverts - in no fewer than five places.

Our programme will run from 6pm-8pm, with 30 minutes of build-up and 30 minutes of reaction afterwards.

We will have an exclusive interview with Wiggins, as well as expert studio guests Dame Sarah Storey and Rob Hayles giving their insight and opinion.

Everyone in the UK can watch thanks to live coverage from Sky Sports on television and online.
     :lll
    How myopic can they be?
    Why isn't the UCI broadcasting this internationally on their own Youtube channel?
    WTF is the problem here?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:22 by Drummer Boy »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #249 on: June 02, 2015, 16:04 »
    Regarding the low pressure, Dr. Hutch begs to differ:
    https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/605694414892187648
    https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/605695232068468736

Live stream UK only.  :angry WTF?!

How myopic can they be?[/url]
    Why isn't the UCI broadcasting this internationally on their own Youtube channel?
    WTF is the problem here?
    They really lost the plot here. Cycling's greatest star since Eddy Merckx a Tour winner, TT and track Olympic champion taking on cycling's grand event, and the world is shut out ... Seriously, UCI, you show Thomas Dekker - but not Bradley Wiggins? :fp
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11194
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #250 on: June 02, 2015, 16:55 »
    Regarding the low pressure, Dr. Hutch begs to differ:
    https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/605694414892187648
    https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/605695232068468736
    They really lost the plot here. Cycling's greatest star since Eddy Merckx a Tour winner, TT and track Olympic champion taking on cycling's grand event, and the world is shut out ... Seriously, UCI, you show Thomas Dekker - but not Bradley Wiggins? :fp

al about the Money someone somewhere will be holding the exclusive rights

pps is it ok to hope he doesn´t beat the record and cracks the sh*ts and never tries again ??
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #251 on: June 02, 2015, 20:12 »
    I thought the London velodrome had some climate control system to make the conditions better for potential world record times at the Olympics.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #252 on: June 02, 2015, 20:56 »
    I thought the London velodrome had some climate control system to make the conditions better for potential world record times at the Olympics.
    I would think that Wiggo would avoid using a track that has the word "slow" as part of its description.  :S

@Doctor_Hutch
    Combination of slow London track... :slow

What makes it slow, and is this something that's universally accepted as fact?
    Perhaps Mellow Velo could weigh-in on this one.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #253 on: June 02, 2015, 21:10 »
    someone somewhere will be holding the exclusive rights

To what end though? What is there to be gained by shutting out the world on a "world record" attempt?

Seeing it live is really the only thing they can capitalize on. No one is going to watch any after-the-fact broadcast or purchase the DVD Collectors Edition. He either breaks the record or he doesn't. 60 seconds after he finishes, everyone will know, and the story will be complete.

I am curious about the Sky Media vs UCI dynamics in all this. How do the rights get sorted, and what is the plot that I am missing here?

They seem to be offering it for free viewing in the UK, so why eliminate the rest of the planet?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #254 on: June 02, 2015, 21:36 »
    They seem to be offering it for free viewing in the UK, so why eliminate the rest of the planet?
    Obviously all the people who do not live in the UK are unworthy of watching the brilliance of Sir Wiggo. :P

It can't even be that there are no Sky channels elsewhere (although the German and Italian Sky is different from the British) ... :(
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #255 on: June 02, 2015, 21:38 »
    al about the Money someone somewhere will be holding the exclusive rights
    :barf

pps is it ok to hope he doesn´t beat the record and cracks the sh*ts and never tries again ??
    Paraphrasing Bert Brecht, 'the thoughts are free'.
    You can hope for whatever you want. Nobody can stop you from that. ;)

Yes. yes, it is OK. :shh
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4024
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #256 on: June 03, 2015, 00:38 »
    perhaps they thought the rest of the world wouldnt be that interested  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #257 on: June 04, 2015, 20:36 »
    http://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcast/the-bradley-wiggins-hour-record-preview-show

The Telegraph's cycling podcast talks about the hour and interviews all three Brits to hold the record (Graeme Obree, Chris Boardman, Alex Dowsett) as well as Sir Bradley Wiggins.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13315
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #258 on: June 06, 2015, 08:40 »
    an infographic about the development of the records, from today's Het Nieuwsblad

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #259 on: June 06, 2015, 16:09 »
    So this isn't the result of the best and brightest minds of British Cycling working in unison to achieve a landmark in the sport?

Not being facetious here. I genuinely assumed this to be quite the collaborative effort. But I guess not. :slow

Bradley Wiggins liberated by Hour Record challenge

“You’re a one-man band,” [Wiggins] told reporters at the velodrome on Tuesday. “From the start of this it was my project – I had to take control and lead it, and have my own input and ideas on what I thought I needed to do for this record. So in that sense it’s been a lot easier than just being dictated to. It’s quite liberating.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #261 on: June 07, 2015, 01:52 »
    an infographic about the development of the records, from today's Het Nieuwsblad

Where's Chris Boardman?
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 789
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #262 on: June 07, 2015, 09:04 »
    Where's Chris Boardman?
    Who?

That Russian guy is also missing. What time will the Bradster be released today? It is rumoured he did about 55 in training already  :S

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/607435398676148224

Yeah, it worked again!
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #263 on: June 07, 2015, 10:18 »
    For those of you outside the UK who appeared to be worried that you wouldn't be able to watch the great Sir WIGGINS ride round and round in ovals it does appear that a stream will be available outside the UK on the UCI Youtube channel.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #264 on: June 07, 2015, 14:04 »
    Who?

That Russian guy is also missing.
    That Russian guy is a *cz Czech guy! :angry
    Ondřej Sosenka, a veritable beast of an engine (and, sure, banned for EPO later).
    He did his Hour in Moscow, but he's NOT Russian!

Also, good to hear that it's on the UCI channel after all.
    Seems that *gb British article simply only referenced the ways for Brits to watch Wiggo's Hour - for everybody knows that nobody outside the UK is worth being addressed ... ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #265 on: June 07, 2015, 14:30 »
    Sorry, I meant that Polish guy off course:

http://lastnames.myheritage.nl/last-name/sosenka

:-x

Those names are abacadabra to me, my bad.

Will Sir Bradster beat Rominger's time?

https://twitter.com/festinaboy/status/607535295681167362
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #266 on: June 07, 2015, 14:52 »
    It does appear that a stream will be available outside the UK on the UCI Youtube channel.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be Geo-restricted at the time of broadcast.

As the moment, there is a visible clock countdown. What's strange, is that according to the on-screen stats:

Please stand by  3:30:00

"24 watching now"  :D

157-thumbs up  14-thumbs down  :P

• ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #267 on: June 07, 2015, 14:57 »
    I just hope it doesn't turn out to be Geo-restricted at the time of broadcast.

As the moment, there is a visible clock countdown. What's strange, is that according to the on-screen stats:

If that is what you're getting at the moment i'd imagine it won't be geo restricted. I'm in the UK and it is already telling me that

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 664

Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #269 on: June 07, 2015, 17:44 »
    Pastro, am I allowed to laugh now?