collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8992
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: The Hour record
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 23:49 »
the "race" starts at 7, as mentioned above
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5772
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 23:50 »
    the "race" starts at 7, as mentioned above
    I should learn to read. :fp

Excellent. Time to make a strict schedule, unplug the phone and excuse myself from any activities that might happen next Thursday. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 778
    « Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 13:00 »
    OK, hold that referundum!

Right, so that's the holy trinity of a family birthday, an independence vote and now Jens having at go at the Hour.

Talk about icing on the cake: consider Thursday booked!

And I will have to find a way to insert a small lecture on the benefits of the Hour into discussions with both Aye and Nae sayers over the coming 2 days.

Pretty miffed that we have dropped the Hour bike restrictions and I will keep throwing a small hissy fit every time someone even mentions wattage output meters. But at least it is the Hour again. A different one. But most certainly a 3600 seconds long Hour. Unless using the Laws of Relativity to get a slight advantage on the clock is also becoming a UCI sanctioned allowable new development.

I guess I am gonna leave the old Hour the fond memory it was, and treat Jens's attempt as the first of "The Hour v2". Some way to bow out. Lovin' it. 

Go Jens! Make that clock hurt!

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 657
    « Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 21:34 »
    and the drum roll begins

prrrrrrrrr -- drrrrrrrrrrr . . .
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 21:45 »
    Training methods mainly changed because equipment changed since the eighties but as I showed in several of my biographies, riders from the seventies already followed very advanced training methods.

. . .

Are you referring to what you have written in the VR "Archives" section? If yes - I will have to head over there and read them. Although I agree that riders in the seventies were following very advanced training methods, I also think there have been some significant advancements in the science of sports physiology since then. So I'd like to read what you've got, if its there!

:)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 21:59 »
    so...what can we expect here? Popovych said he is not prepared for this, but we can surely expect the "record" to be crushed very soon? Someone on cn calculated a ~380 Watt average is enough with the new equipment, so we can even expect Jens to get this record fairly "easy" I think?!
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 22:06 »
    Trek give us the lowdown on Jens Hour attempt!!

To answer your question Search..

Q: @Bike_ABK6: What average wattage will Jens target?

A:  370 watts average will likely be the result, but his goal is based on distance, not power.

Q: @Nickd39: What if he falls or suffers a mechanical?

A: He may choose to continue, after a bike change, or to stop the attempt. Whether he chooses to continue depends on how far into the ride he is.

Q: @ZacharyAllison: Is Jens' bike a true track bike, or a modified road bike?

A: While it is based on the Trek Speed Concept, there are many modifications to the bike, including a different rear end. We had to have it approved by the UCI as a unique design.

Q: Many people asked - What does the bike weigh?

A: 8,150g (just under 18 lbs)

Q: @sufferfest: Can he see his wattage? Q: @JHLudlum: How about using an earpiece?

A: He cannot see live power data, per UCI-standard track-racing rules, but he can record it for later analysis. We've worked closely with SRM to keep his 55-tooth crank setup freshly calibrated so we can get a lot of information from this attempt. He cannot have an earpiece, but is allowed one person on the side of the track to give him verbal coaching.

And most importantly of all...

Q: @BWSimons: What’s on Jens’ 60-minute playlist?

A: We asked him, and this is what he said:

Warmup:

REO Speedwagon "Keep on loving you"
    Brian Adams "Summer of 69"
    Journey "Wheel in the sky"
    Air supply "Making Love out of Nothing at All“
    Metallica "Turn the page"
    Hour Record:

Republica "Ready to go"
    P.O.D. "Feel so alive"
    Metallica "One"
    AC/DC "Hells Bells"
    AC/DC "Highway to hell"
    Farmerboys "Here comes the pain"
    Ugly Kid Joe "Goddam Devil"
    AC/DC "Thunderstruck"
    Black Sabbath "Paranoid"
    Metallica “Frayed ends of sanity"
    Europe "Final Countdown"
    Cooldown:

Metallica "Nothing else matters"
    Cranberries "Zombie"
    Kansas "Dust in the wind"
    Air Supply "All out of love"
    Lita Ford/ Ozzy Osbourne "Close my eyes forever"
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 22:09 »
    Yeah - I checked out some of that song list - I can tell Jens is not in my generation I guess. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 23:25 »
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/09/obree-on-the-hour-record-it-is-a-whole-phenomenon-rebooted/

“I think it is fabulous for a couple of reasons,” Obree told CyclingTips this week. “Firstly, it is good because it is a rejig of the current record, using a state of the art pursuit bike, and also because it would mean that Sosenka, the convicted drug cheat, doesn’t hold it any more.”

[...]

“Whoever does it first is always going to do 49.7 because of the bike and because it is three kilometres less than I did in Bordeaux,” he said. “So there is no way that Jens Voigt is not going to break the world record. He is going to set out a time that other folk can then in turn attack. He is a respectable rider and others will then take his record on.

“It gives a credibility in that other people will be able to attack a valid record set by a respected rider. It brings the record alive again.”

[...]

“It would be nice to see him doing more than Moser did in Mexico City. That is the modern era benchmark,” he said, referring to the 51.151 kilometres covered by the Italian on January 23 1984. “I would think he can do about 51 kilometres, which would be a respectable ride.”

[...]

“I think Bradley is probably capable of…I would reckon three kilometres more than Jens. Yeah, I think 54 kilometres,” he suggested.

“If you compare that modern era, if you look at the bike Indurain used, then 52, 53, 54 is a benchmark of what you can do on that without having Dr. Conconi on the case. You have got to remember that the 90s saw road cycling endemic with drug taking.

“So I think 52, 53, 54 kilometres…Chris Boardman stepped up the hour record the first time and then before he joined the road scene, he did 52.2 or something like that.

“That was what Boardman was capable of at that point in time. We were going neck and neck. I stepped up and did 52.7. Indurain did 53, just over 53. So that gives you an idea of kind of where the ballpark is here.”
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10716
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 04:40 »
    Pinotti was asked if he thought about having a go

@fabrizioviani I had already honest and good career. No needs for me to do circus for my ego.

:lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1105
    « Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 14:03 »
    Are you referring to what you have written in the VR "Archives" section? If yes - I will have to head over there and read them. Although I agree that riders in the seventies were following very advanced training methods, I also think there have been some significant advancements in the science of sports physiology since then. So I'd like to read what you've got, if its there!

:)

The Monseré thread. Though I don't have much credit for that. Mark Van Hamme made a brilliant biography of the late Jean-Pierre Monseré in which he insisted a lot on his very advanced training methods. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 14:48 »
     - - - Please Stand by.                     3:12:02

We might have a live link from the UCI

it says some geo restrictions - but I've got the countdown timer at least
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 14:49 »
    I like this quip in the comments on that page:

"Jens Voigt doesn't get road rash, the road gets Jens Rash"
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 16:51 »
    Jens jokes may get to be a small vogue!

shut up hour

Jens Voigt doesn't get road rash, the road gets Jens Rash.

Domestiques try to see how many bottles they can carry back from the team car. Jens Voigt tries to see how many team cars he can carry back to the peloton.

Jens Voigt can only motorpace once a week because the scooter needs 6 rest days to recover.

Once the CSC team bus broke down and Jens Voigt had to push it. French police pulled them over and detained the team for more than hour before letting Jens go with just a speeding ticket.

Jens no longer has a shadow because he dropped it repeatedly until it climbed into the Saxo Bank team car claiming a stomach ailment and retired.

Jens Voigt has never been in a breakaway. But he has successfully dropped the peloton on a number of occasions.

After a race stage, the team mechanic takes Jens Voigt's bike out back and shoots it to put it out of its misery.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 19:09 »
    51.115 km jeepers ( I think that is right)

that was better to watch than I expected,  All the docos I have seen have much more around and the ride
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 19:11 »
    A few more Jensies worth recording:

He's actually been told not to cycle too fast as Jens can affect the rotation of the earth.

Jens is so powerful that scientists from CERN are using the data for his laps for particle acceleration tests.

Jens Voigt and Superman once fought each other on a bet. The loser had to start wearing his underwear on the outside of his pants.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 23:08 »
    Mentioned this in the chatbox but it bears restating: saying that Jens 'broke' the hour record today is pretty silly. He rode 1415m further in an hour than someone who was using a vastly inferior bike and riding position ten years ago. If you compare his distance to other riders using aero positions you have to go back to Moreno Moser thirty years ago to find a time when the record was shorter than what Jens managed.

What Jens did today was set a baseline for the 'modern' hour record, and ring in what Cookson at least hopes will be a new era of activity for the hour record. I can't imagine that a Fabian Cancellara or a Bradley Wiggins would have much trouble at all beating Voigt's mark.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 23:29 »
    What Jens did today was set a baseline for the 'modern' hour record, and ring in what Cookson at least hopes will be a new era of activity for the hour record. I can't imagine that a Fabian Cancellara or a Bradley Wiggins would have much trouble at all beating Voigt's mark.

no, of course not, I don't think anyone would be surprised to see them go ~5% further - because that's probably what they are, at least 5% better than him (no one would be surprised to see Voigt finishing ~3 minutes behind Tony Martin in a usual 60 minute time trial at least).

Sporting wise today's result has not much relevance, it mainly was a fantastic promotion for Trek - and (although Echoes will not agree), in a way also for cycling in general.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 03:55 »
    no, of course not, I don't think anyone would be surprised to see them go ~5% further - because that's probably what they are, at least 5% better than him (no one would be surprised to see Voigt finishing ~3 minutes behind Tony Martin in a usual 60 minute time trial at least).

Sporting wise today's result has not much relevance, it mainly was a fantastic promotion for Trek - and (although Echoes will not agree), in a way also for cycling in general.

I heartily agree! EXCEPT the bolded bit - today's effort was hugely relevant. And I do not agree that it was mainly a promotion for Trek - it was first a promotion for the UCI and cycling "as an audience sport on tv" in general. Trek would come in 3rd, in that competition, in my estimation, but it WAS a promotional event for Trek. Trek has a lot of ground to recover, and it seems their team is doing a good job of it. Between the Jens "retirement" bike, and this event - they have gained a lot of publicity. POSITIVE publicity. Granted, they need more if they are ever to regain me as a customer (I used to race on a Trek, but this is the first time I've admitted it in at least a decade).

As to relevance? Was Graeme Obree relevant? Chris Boardman copied his techniques, so I would guess he IS relevant. If they were relevant, then Jens is relevant. I want to preacher-up, and admonish, "Quit being so negative! Lighten up! To move FORWARD, you have to first MOVE!" (end of lecture).

Could we use more categories of hour records? Imo, YES!! :)  You know, I agree that it would be nice to have a "level playing field" area in terms of technology - that would be great! But I've decided not to be dogmatic about this - as at least we are back in the public eye, and in a positive light.

Besides, Jens put in a beautiful effort today! Massively great! He REALLY played on his talents to put together this effort. Job well done.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 09:01 »
    Yeah, I would like to see a few more attempts at the Hour now. It has been too long in abeyance and there are several riders around today who could put some serious distance on the clock, Martin especially.

The best we can hope for is that the manufacturers fancy the tilt. Trek will back Cancellara and, if we're lucky, make Specialized jealous enough to put pressure on the German.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 987
    « Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 19:16 »
    ... you have to go back to Moreno Moser thirty years ago to find a time when the record was shorter than what Jens managed...
    Well, that explains his dip in form and bad recent results.  :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #51 on: September 20, 2014, 06:22 »
    Phinney has mentioned it as well

So BMC might want the limelight for a while
  • ReplyReply

• batchuba

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 98
    • Vuelta 2013 Green Jersey Winner
    « Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 21:40 »
    Jens jokes may get to be a small vogue!

shut up hour

Jens Voigt doesn't get road rash, the road gets Jens Rash.

Domestiques try to see how many bottles they can carry back from the team car. Jens Voigt tries to see how many team cars he can carry back to the peloton.

Jens Voigt can only motorpace once a week because the scooter needs 6 rest days to recover.

Once the CSC team bus broke down and Jens Voigt had to push it. French police pulled them over and detained the team for more than hour before letting Jens go with just a speeding ticket.

Jens no longer has a shadow because he dropped it repeatedly until it climbed into the Saxo Bank team car claiming a stomach ailment and retired.

Jens Voigt has never been in a breakaway. But he has successfully dropped the peloton on a number of occasions.

After a race stage, the team mechanic takes Jens Voigt's bike out back and shoots it to put it out of its misery.

You had me at "shut up hour".
  • ReplyReply

• batchuba

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 98
    • Vuelta 2013 Green Jersey Winner
    « Reply #53 on: September 21, 2014, 21:45 »
    today's effort was hugely relevant.

Besides, Jens put in a beautiful effort today!

Much as I like auld Jensie, I have to disagree.

With sufficient technological gumption, our collective Mom's could have broken the Hour record all on the same Unicycle going up a 20% gradient.

Its completely meaningless.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 12:29 »
    Apparently the man moutain wants to have a go for real now, only issue as Fus said and twitter and i was about to, he needs ABP and then there ks the darkside issues

https://twitter.com/SadhbhOS/status/517620120060170240
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 09:33 »
    Alex whereabouts Rasmussen plans to have a go at the record 2015
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 10:18 »
    Next up #iam M Brändle 

When 30th Octobet

Where UCI track in *ch

so Scott step into the hour record battleground

http://www.sudinfo.be/1130135/article/2014-10-22/deja-un-concurrent-pour-jens-voigt-l-autrichien-matthias-braendle-s-attaquera-au
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #58 on: October 23, 2014, 11:09 »
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #59 on: October 23, 2014, 16:23 »
    Clever & inevitable idea to go for it as soon as possible before the big guns raise the bar too high.
    It may end up being a race now between riders like Brandle, Rasmussen etc to get their attempts in before Wiggins, Martin & Fabian.
    It will also give us a fair indication as to how high the bar can go & just how good a ride Jens did do.
  • ReplyReply

•