collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3862
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: The Hour record
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2015, 23:46 »
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/02/dekker-unsuccessful-in-hour-record-bid-dennis-continues-status-as-quickest-rider/

“Beforehand I knew it was going to be tricky. Rohan Dennis is such a good rider. He is one of the big stars in cycling at present. I think I’ve done a good attempt. Unfortunately, it is just not enough the record, but if I’m honest I could not be better.

https://twitter.com/xavierdisley/status/570674055164129281

Pedalling a massive 58×14 gear, Dekker initially looked to be on course during his bid at the Aguascalientes velodrome. He was moving well after ten minutes, moving that gearing well but drifting on the corners and floating up towards the red line.

He said that he hoped two weeks’ preparation would be enough to acclimatise to the decreased oxygen saturation.

“To get 99 percent used to it, it will take around two weeks,” he said. “In the third week and the fourth week, you are improving still at one percent, and after five weeks you are totally adapted. But I hope 99 percent is enough…I’ll go two weeks before.”

Given that his distance was approximately 0.5% shorter than that of Dennis, he will likely wonder if spending a little longer at altitude might have given him the edge he needed.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7709
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #181 on: February 26, 2015, 00:37 »
    Rohan Dennis "one of the biggest stars in cycling at present"?!
    That's a bit too much #garmin camaraderie between two former riders of the team - off the top of my head, I can think of ~20 riders that are bigger stars.
    One of the biggest talents, definitely; but to be one of the biggest stars, Dennis will have to do more than win an Aussie race off two good uphill sprints against other Aussies. His best 'real' result is still the 8th place overall in the 2013 Critérium du Dauphiné - evidence of talent (as are his results in North America), but hardly star material. Yet.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #182 on: February 26, 2015, 01:04 »
    Rohan Dennis "one of the biggest stars in cycling at present"?!

Well, he is the current record holder for the Hour.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #183 on: February 26, 2015, 01:19 »
    Now I'm wondering if Eddy Merckx pulled off one of the better cons in modern cycling.

God knows, he's proven himself to be quite the master troll on more than one occasion in the past several years. But what if his claims of how extraordinarily difficult it was to conquer the Hour were nothing more than a smokescreen to deter others from even attempting it, thereby securing a longer tenure for his own name in the record books?  :P

If Mighty Merckx found the endeavor to be such a brutal test of oneself, what chance might mere mortals have against the clock?  :o

The one thing I hope these recent attempts at the Hour will do, is put away, for good, the myth created by Merckx surrounding the suffering and sacrifice necessary to take it on. Maybe it was true for him. Maybe it was. But enough already. It's hard, and it requires dedication, focus, and the right genetics. At this point, I'm entertained by it, and find it interesting. Shouldn't that be enough? It's enough for me.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #184 on: February 26, 2015, 01:28 »
    Some interesting points from Rohan Dennis about his attempt. Rupert Guinness doing his best to create a Merckx-style narrative though—trying to extract tales of suffering. The truth was probably not as glamourous nor heroic as he was hoping.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/q-and-a-world-hour-record-holder-rohan-dennis

Rupert Guinness: How did you recover from your ride - from that night to the days after?

Rohan Dennis: Physically not too bad. I have felt worse. It was probably more just sitting on the saddle afterwards was probably the biggest challenge.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #185 on: February 26, 2015, 01:42 »
    Middle of the night for the German and Dutch contingent, so I may as well just keep babbling to myself here.  :lol

I found it curious that during Dekker's Hour attempt, commentators Carlton Kirby and Magnus Bäckstedt spoke of Wiggins' possible attempt as being much less than certain. Had I not read anything otherwise, I would've thought they were suggesting there was only a 50/50 chance of Wiggins going for it.

Hasn't Sir Bradley :-x been more reassuring than that about his own ambitions to tackle The Hour?

You couldn't find a more rabid flag waver than Kirby, so I was somewhat surprised to hear him nearly expressing doubts about Wiggins' future plans. Am I missing something here?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11357
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #187 on: March 03, 2015, 14:48 »
    Yep, that's Quaade in a nutshell - he's a complete maniac. But a monster engine, and a very experienced track rider.

If anyone can beat Wiggo's mark, it would be him.
    He's a Copenhagener, so if he goes for it he'll probably do it at home. I shall be trackside then. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #188 on: March 03, 2015, 15:39 »
    What is his history on the track like?

Seems significant, Dennis was an accomplished tracker in his own right.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #189 on: March 03, 2015, 19:17 »
    What is his history on the track like?

Seems significant, Dennis was an accomplished tracker in his own right.
    Danish junior champion in individual pursuit in 2007, and team pursuit in 2008. Senior IP champion in 2009, and part of the national TP team since then, taking a.o. bronze at the 2013 Track Worlds and silver at the 2014 Track Worlds. Those are the biggest results.

He knows how to ride the track, he has a hell of an engine and is a fighter like no other (seriously, the true successor of Jens Voigt), and he gives 110% (or even more) every time: Collapsed after the 2011 U23 ITT Worlds that he lost to Durbridge by 35", after his 6th-place ride in 2013, and every year after the Tour of Denmark ITT.
    All he needs is a bit of race craft, so that he goes full throttle not whenever he can, but only when it's actually a good idea. ;)
    But that's of minor significance for the Hour. 60 minutes all-out is what he does best.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13472
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #190 on: March 04, 2015, 23:40 »
    I just stumbled across this accidentally...a blog post about the hour record, by Dr Michele Ferrari

The Hour Record - 2014

By: Michele Ferrari
    Published: 4 Jan 2015

After over 10 years of obtuse obscurantism that had decreed that the Hour Record had to "get back" to Eddy Merckx (49,431 km / h in 1972) and his bike, instantly erasing the performances that came after his attempt, from great athletes such as Moser, Obree, Boardman, Indurain , Rominger and Boardman again in 1996, the "pundits" at UCI decided in 2014 to retrace their steps, allowing the use of aerodynamic bikes again, in line with those authorized for pursuit racing on track.

The previous decision had in fact castrated every interest in this fascinating challenge, with only Chris Boardman (49,441 km/h in 2000) and an admirable Ondrey Sosenka (49,700 km/h in 2005) making serious attempts, which eventually resulted in them doing better than Eddy Merckx.
    This however showed how utterly RIDICULOUS the UCI's demand to compare performance that were decades away was, although achieved with similar bikes: a result that showed Sosenka to be stronger than Merckx is at odds, to say the least, with the palmares of the two riders...

The back track decision of the UCI has immediately reignited the interest in the Record, with several athletes having (successfully) tried, or announcing attempts in the near future.

The UCI has canceled the performances achieved in the 80's and 90's, although obtained according to the UCI rules from back then.
    Even though Obree's (51,596 km/h in 1993 and 52,713 km/h in 1994) and Boardman's (56,375 km h in 1996) aerodynamic positions would no longer be legal today and Indurain's (53,040 km/h in 1994) profile of the frame was also unauthorized according to today's standards, one cannot help but wonder why Boardman's performance in 1993 (52,270 km/h) has been struck out.
    His position on the bike and the Corima frame are in fact no different from that adopted by Voigt and Brandle in their successful attempts in the last months, and even the wheels (both 28") would be admitted today.
    Tony Rominger (53,832 km/h and 55.291Km/h in 1994) used a steel frame that would be embarrassing if compared to today's standards, but his front wheel was 26", with a 28" on the rear, and this is not allowed by current UCI's regulations, even though the fact that a smaller front wheel can give an advantage is yet to prove (in fact, even back then many track top athletes, including Boardman, chose 28" wheels in the front too).
    Even Francesco Moser (50,808 km/h and 51,151 km/h in 1984) had used a front 26" wheel, but his frame and the position on the handlebars were much less aerodynamic than those accepted today: in particular the "triathlon position" (now allowed) enables a speed increase of 1-2 km/h compared to the famous "cow-horns handlebar" position that he adopted.

- TRACK LENGTH -

Back in the 80's we were convinced that longest tracks were the fastest, and that long straights could favor the speed of the cyclist.
    As a matter of fact, it is truly the exact opposite.
    The banked curves allow the center of gravity of the rider to travel a shorter distance than the measurement line followed by the wheels: in substance, the mass of the cyclist "cuts" the curves, saving about 2-3 meters per lap, depending on the velodrome.
    In fact, the longer the curves compared to the straights, the faster the track.
    This explains for example why Rominger gained 600m/h at the Manchester Velodrome over that in Bordeaux: both are 250m long, but the English one has longer curves than the French.
    As a matter of fact, the UCI even then had forbidden the use of tracks shorter than 250m for Hour Record attempts.
    Thus it is a bit surprising that the current Hour Record set by Mathias Brandle (51,852 km/h on October 30th 2014) has been achieved on the velodrome in Aigle (headquarters of the UCI), which measures only 200m and therefore provides an "illicit" advantage over longer tracks.

- MUSIC during the Attempt -

In the past, the regulation was forbidding the diffusion of music during the attempts and the use of all types of earphones was not admitted either, because it was believed (rightly so...) that the athlete could take advantage of this.
    I remember that Francesco Moser, during one of his several attempts at sea level (Stuttgart 50,644 km/h in 1988) was approached by an individual who promised great advantages (1-2 km/h, according to him...) if Francesco had chosen to listen to the music that he advised, during the effort: of course it all came to nothing, because the regulation expressly forbade it.
    Jens Voigt during his successful attempt on the 18th of September 2014 (51,115 km/h) was "accompanied" by music personally selected by him and played out loud in the velodrome in Grenchen...

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=135

and more information about the music here

Indeed, many scientific studies show that listening to music can modify the efficiency of breathing and increase Hb saturation, effectively improving the transport of oxygen to the muscles.

Listening to music before or during the effort has a relaxing effect on the musculature, reducing the consumption of O2 for those muscles not engaged in the action, therefore increasing the oxygenation of the muscles involved in the gesture. Even coordination and brain-muscles communication gets better, economizing energy expenditure, with a "mechanism of bio-chemical feedback derived from an external source": music, precisely.

A recent study (Pre-task Improves swimming music performances, J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2014) demonstrated that listening to music 5min (self selected) up to 1min before the race (200m free-style) improves the performance time by about 2" (1.44%) in a group of swimmers of regional level, compared to the control group, which was to race in silent conditions.
    Another 2014 study (Music Enhances performance and perceived enjoyment of sprint interval exercise, Med Sci Sports Exerc) detected an improvement in peak power and average power in 4 repetitions of 30sec "all-out" efforts on a cycle-ergometer, separated by 4 min recovery, in a group of moderately trained young adults.
    Already in 1998 (Int J Sports Med, 19: 32-37) it was noticed that listening to music for 15min running at 70% of VO2max showed significant reductions in heart rate (from 152.9 to 145.9 beats/min), systolic blood pressure (from 158.1 to 151.7 mmHg) and lactic acid (from 2.75 to 2.13 mM/l in well trained men.

Another study on elite triathletes (J Sci Med Sport, 2012; 15: 52-57) engaged in running, shows an extension of the "time-to-exhaustion" by 19% when listening to music. Lactate also resulted lower and O2 consumption was reduced by 1% at the same speed. The gesture of running is more economical as well.
    The authors conclude that "Music produces ergogenic benefits, psychological and physiological".

Personally, trying out myself while engaged on some cycle-ergometer training, and listening to songs from The Doors, always the same ones, I noticed a reduction in the feeling of fatigue as well as decreased lactate concentrations at a given heart rate. Probably those musical rhythms I am so keen on, induce those neuromuscular feedback mechanisms, sensibly improving my performance.

...so Drummer Boy finally got some kind of scientific reason why Thomas Dekker was not successful in breaking the hour record :P
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #191 on: March 05, 2015, 00:10 »
    ...so Drummer Boy finally got some kind of scientific reason why Thomas Dekker was not successful in breaking the hour record :P
    I had my finger on the "Reply" button before I even saw the personal reference.  :D

The Doors?!?!?

Fook me if I believe for one second that The Dark Knight himself would gain some sort of scientific advantage from a band that didn't even have a bass player. :fp

So far, I've found the loud music playing in the background of these events to be annoying as all hell (and that's just from the audio bleeding into the UCI Youtube feed). Personally, I could never even fathom the concept of riding, or running, with music. FFS, that would be my nightmare. God forbid that one should have to contend with one's own thoughts during such an undertaking.

Then again, I hardly listen to music at all (true story). I prefer to play it.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #193 on: March 10, 2015, 13:12 »
    Fueled by #cult energy drinks, the Swedish monster will rip Dennis' meagre time apart and set a time for the ages! :yuush

Or he's just going to see how hard it is to break the current record, and provide a benchmark for his teammate Quaade. Taking the record as a nice side-effect if he breaks it. :shh

Choose one. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 22:17 by Fus87 »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #194 on: March 10, 2015, 21:58 »
    Gustav Larsson ready for tilt at hour record in Manchester

Larsson, an accomplished time trialist who finished second in the discipline at the Beijing Olympics, 2009 world championships and the 2013 edition of the Chrono des Nations, will make his attempt at the afternoon session of the sixth and final round of the Revolution Series.

“I am very confident of breaking the Swedish hour record but it is the world record I am after” he said in a statement. “I think it will be possible – it will not be easy but I am feeling ready for the challenge.”

“I was inspired to try for the hour record when I was trying to heal my broken back last year. It was one of the goals to get back on the bike and to look forward to through the rehab and winter training.”

Furthering my complete turnaround on this activity:
    I actually think I would enjoy watching something like this live, especially in such a place.  :)

I presume that the UCI Youtube channel will be broadcasting this?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13472
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #195 on: March 11, 2015, 19:13 »
    Malori after today's prologue:

Hour record: “It’s unlikely that I’ll attack the hour record because I don’t have much technique on the track, and it is a lot more important than you might think. I’d need two months to work at it. It might be something for the future, but for now I’m focused on the road.”
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2050
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #196 on: March 11, 2015, 19:15 »
    Certainly winning a 5.4km prologue shouldn't be much indication of a successful Hour record attempt..
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #197 on: March 11, 2015, 23:16 »
    "I’d need two months to work at it."

I'd need two months to work at learning needle point. Pretty sure the Hour is safe from a Malori conquest.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #198 on: March 15, 2015, 01:31 »
    Obviously this was the biggest story of the day.
    It must've been 12 hours ago already, but no updates here.  :-x

Sweden’s Gustav Larsson came nowhere near beating Rohan Dennis’s UCI Hour record in Manchester this afternoon, falling nearly 10 laps short
    :flustered

The 34-year-old was attempting to beat the distance of 52.4901km that the Australian rode last month, but was off the pace early.

By the half-hour mark, the Cult Energy was behind schedule by well over a minute – equivalent to around four 250m laps of the track at the National Cycling Centre.

At the end of his ride, he had covered 50.016km – well short of Dennis’s benchmark, but comfortably breaking the Swedish record of 45.335km.

Alex Dowsett indicated this week that he is riding back into form and may attempt it next month.

Sir Bradley Wiggins is expected to go for the record in June.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #199 on: March 15, 2015, 01:46 »
    Well  no live coverage, and he failed.. not much to say :D
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #201 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37 »
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #202 on: April 15, 2015, 09:42 »
    So, without getting ahead of ourselves, this means Dowsett will hold the record for a maximum of 5 weeks... that feels somewhat unsatisfactory.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #203 on: April 16, 2015, 15:21 »
    I'm glad to see this in the spotlight again.

Has Dowsett targeted a specific distance that he feels is within his grasp?

Even if Wiggo unseats him some weeks later, Dowsett will have still have a good story to tell, and his name in the record books.

Was he realistically hoping for more than that anyway?

I'm also curious to know what the estimates on Wiggo's final distance are. Has he suggested a number himself?
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #204 on: April 16, 2015, 21:13 »
    I don't have the source to hand, but I think he said something about being between Rominger's two figures...
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #205 on: April 16, 2015, 21:43 »
    I don't have the source to hand, but I think he said something about being between Rominger's two figures...
    Oh man I need glasses, I read that as between Rominger's two fingers. First thought was, that doesn't sound far. Next thought was it's probably an allusion to something shady in the past. I even googled it.  :S
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #206 on: April 17, 2015, 01:01 »
    Next thought was it's probably an allusion to something shady in the past.
    It is now! :lol

Here Tony can be seen showing his two fingers in the Giro:
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #207 on: April 17, 2015, 17:05 »
    Tickets to watch Wiggins’ Hour Record attempt sell out in seven minutes

Tickets to watch Bradley Wiggins’ Hour Record attempt at the Lee Valley VeloPark, London’s Olympic Velodrome, on June 7 went on sale on Friday morning and reportedly sold out with in seven minutes according to a report on Sky Sports.

The velodrome holds a capacity of roughly 6,000 spectators but many fans were left disappointed when they weren’t able to purchase a ticket on the Sky Tickets website. The highest priced tickets were reported to have cost €49.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #208 on: April 17, 2015, 17:36 »
    So, even if those were the most expensive categories, they're going to make some good money.

Assuming an average price of 30 €, that'll be 180.000 € - enough to pay the minimum wages for 6-7 pro cyclists for a whole year. :o
    I've finally found out how Team ALL CAPS is funded! :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #209 on: April 17, 2015, 18:11 »
    Actually, that assumption was too low ... :o
    https://twitter.com/CafeRoubaix/status/589112485166342144

I guess it'll be £29 for the turns, £39 for the cheap seats on the straights, and £49 for trackside seats.
    A turnover of more than £200,000 in total = ~277.000 €.

Team ALL CAPS has 9 riders (apart from Sir Brad himself) - 30.000 € per person! :tinkov
  • ReplyReply

•