collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11357
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: The Hour record
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2015, 09:08 »
Actually, that assumption was too low ... :o
https://twitter.com/CafeRoubaix/status/589112485166342144

I guess it'll be £29 for the turns, £39 for the cheap seats on the straights, and £49 for trackside seats.
A turnover of more than £200,000 in total = ~277.000 €.

Team ALL CAPS has 9 riders (apart from Sir Brad himself) - 30.000 € per person! :tinkov

could run a womens team for 6 months at the highest level
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7709
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #211 on: April 18, 2015, 20:43 »
    could run a womens team for 6 months at the highest level
    Yeah, but who would want that ... :P

It's ridiculous how (relatively) much money is burned on men's teams while the women - whose races are often more entertaining, who are better ambassadors (for the sport, and by extension for the brand that sponsors them), and who are immensely grateful for every little help they get - are struggling to get by. :angry
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13472
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #212 on: May 01, 2015, 15:15 »
    Salzwedel is live on German Eurosport at the moment during the Tour of Yorkshire coverage, he said Dowsett's numbers in training were very good, and Wiggins' try will be his "one and only", and he wants to "set a milestone"
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3862
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #213 on: May 02, 2015, 13:35 »
    Live Eurosport coverage of Dowsett's attempt. Just past the half-way point.

http://www.sportingvideo.tv/20150502/vv55447ed222f470.49503477-1062962.html
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #214 on: May 02, 2015, 14:14 »
    Alex Dowsett sets new Hour Record

Monster effort, and still had the energy to hoist his bike aloft at the finish.

Looks like he could've touched the 53 mark with all the energy he had. I wonder if he'll defend it if Wiggo temporarily unseats him?
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 496
    « Reply #215 on: May 02, 2015, 15:56 »
    Great ride by Dowsett, good marker, and yes he did say when asked if he'd ever do it again he would consider that after June 7th...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #216 on: May 02, 2015, 21:23 »
    he would consider that after June 7th...
    Yeah, I mean, what's the point in doing it again if Sir Wiggo only does 52.930? :lol
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4065
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #217 on: May 03, 2015, 01:23 »
    I like Dowsett.   Super happy for him, and I hope that if Wiggo does do better that he goes again and gets 53km

Honorable mention to Movistar too for supporting him in this.  Its different training than on the road and it has taken time out of his regular season.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #218 on: May 03, 2015, 07:34 »
    Yes indeed agree all that AG.  I wonder too if having been allowed to keep working so hard on his TT ing that movistar might throw him in for a crack at the yellow jersey in Utrecht?  After that he has shown that he does not shirk his Dom responsibilities.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #220 on: May 05, 2015, 09:42 »
    I like Dowsett.   Super happy for him, and I hope that if Wiggo does do better that he goes again and gets 53km

Honorable mention to Movistar too for supporting him in this.  Its different training than on the road and it has taken time out of his regular season.

More than that, but supporting him up to his initial intended date in February (which would have allowed a pretty normal road season), and then continuing to support him after his injury.

I was driving during the attempt, so I lived vicariously through the tweets of Michael Hutchinson. This one, particularly, highlights the effort that the whole team put in for Alex.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/594442835342000130

This follow-up article, also by Hutch, is a great summary.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/595183143986077696

Also, a thought on Wiggins. As a time triallist - and on his day - he is certainly one of the best in the world. His biomechanics, position and pacing are incredible. His benchmark next month - 52.938km (i.e. Dowsett + 1m) - is 211.752 laps of a 250m track. That means he will need to average 17 s/lap for the whole hour. If he can bring that average down by 0.1 s/lap, he will make 53.254km, beating Dowsett by 317m. The magical 55km that some corners of the internet have mentioned - that's 220 laps, at an average of 16.36 s/lap, a whole 0.64 s/lap faster than Dowsett managed. Over the course of an hour, that is a big difference.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #221 on: May 05, 2015, 15:42 »
    Mrs Doc just looked at the squads of Movistar staff around here and said, "When we did your hour attempt, there were three of us. Three."

I'm missing something here. Could someone explain that tweet to me?
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #222 on: May 05, 2015, 15:55 »
    I'm missing something here. Could someone explain that tweet to me?

Michael Hutchinson attempted the hour record, twice, both times unsuccessfully[1]. He was in attendance in Manchester at the weekend, apparently with his wife (the aforementioned "Mrs Doc"). Her comment was to contrast the legions of Movistar team support staff (and, by extension, the marketing team and all involved at Canyon, Endura et al/) with the three people who apparently acted as Michael's crew for his attempt(s).
     1. I'm trying, equally unsuccessfully, to find out how far he managed to go
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #223 on: May 05, 2015, 16:00 »
    I'm trying, equally unsuccessfully, to find out how far he managed to go

Aha! He didn't actually complete the hour, either time. Which I why I can't find a distance. But, the first time around, he was aiming for Boardman's mark of 49.441km, so wouldn't have troubled Dowsett, Dennis or even Dekker.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #224 on: May 05, 2015, 16:07 »
    I'm trying, equally unsuccessfully, to find out how far he managed to go

It appears that in both instances, he abandoned before the finish after realizing that his attempt would be futile.

[Edit]
    Ah. I should've looked up. Beaten to the punch.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #225 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37 »
    Before I post this post - why isn't the Hour Record thread on the Velodrome/track board? Seems illogical to me.

Anyway - in what could be a classic case of putting the cart before the horse/running before you can walk/other similar metaphors, Ol' Wiggomatic will be wearing these when he attempts to break the record on June 7th.

If he doesn't make it, do you think Dowsett might dig into his pockets for a new, silver pair?!?  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #226 on: May 06, 2015, 10:41 »
    Been interesting how little Dowsett news there has been

Dennis got a lot Even Dekker got more

Be great is Wiggo missed it  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #227 on: May 06, 2015, 12:35 »

Well, he was on BBC TV the morning after. But I think the British public are only interested if it's a name of a team/rider they recognise. Hence the outrage that Sky's team for the Giro had "no Brits!", and comments like "Where's Geraint?!". "Might as well call it Sky Italia".

Back on topic... sorry.

Be great is Wiggo missed it  :lol

I disagree - at least, partially. It would be bad, for a whole host of reasons, if Wiggo smashed the record beyond any recognition. If he gets 54.5, 55km, no-one else will attempt it. Fabs is peeed off with the record anyway, and probably doesn't have the TTing in him anymore. That only really leaves Panzerwagen, and he could conceivably attempt it immediately after the Worlds (to have the form), but I don't know that he would want to dedicate the track time necessary to do it.

If Wiggins misses it, great for Dowsett, and for any future attempt. If he beats it by a few hundred metres (53.5km is eminently plausible, as per my fag-packet calculations a few posts up) then it also leaves the door open for Dowsett to have another go, or Panzer, or Kwiato? Stefan Küng? I'm just throwing out names of good track riders now...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #228 on: May 06, 2015, 16:37 »
    Before I post this post - why isn't the Hour Record thread on the Velodrome/track board? Seems illogical to me.
    There's a track sub-forum here?  :-x

I get the impression that if Wiggo beats the record, that's all that much of the mainstream media will care about. If Dowsett were to ride 60km the next day, the press would still bang on about "the time that Wiggo beat the World Record."

I'm just throwing out names of good track riders now...
    Taylor Phinney. Pretty sure he's got the Hour in his sights.

Not sure where Wiggo gets off suggesting a 20 year gap before anyone is able to beat something that he hasn't even done yet.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #229 on: May 06, 2015, 20:42 »
    Not sure where Wiggo gets off suggesting a 20 year gap before anyone is able to beat something that he hasn't even done yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/32610892

This is the piece to which DB is referring. The arrogance of that man[1] is astounding.

"It sounds a bit horrible to say, but I think I could break the record tomorrow"

Roll on June 7th so we don't have to hear about him anymore.
     1. Wiggins, not DB, naturally
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #230 on: May 06, 2015, 21:21 »
    It'll be interesting to see if Dowsett has another go to see what he could do.

It was the most controlled of all the recent attempts and was clearly ridden to break the record rather than to see how far he could go.

I think he could maybe push 54km if he wound it up from further out than he did this time.

I hope Wiggins sets a mark of somewhere between 53.5km and 53.75km as it won't put others off having a go for it and if people like Martin and Phinney were to also have a go at the record as suggested above it would be very interesting to see what they could do as they are the 2 riders who i think could really set a high and possibly untouchable mark.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #231 on: May 06, 2015, 21:52 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/32610892

This is the piece to which DB is referring. The arrogance of that man[1] is astounding.

Roll on June 7th so we don't have to hear about him anymore.
     1. Wiggins, not DB, naturally
    Good God. What an arrogance - and what a lack of respect, bordering on contempt, for his competitors.
    In that piece, he sounds like he's God's gift to cycling, deciding to grace our sport by his immaculate presence.
     :barf

I believe Dowsett's strategy of going for breaking the current record was better. If you bite off too much, you could run into trouble trying to chew it all.
    55 km would require sub-16.4 lap times on average for an hour.

I look forward to Wiggo's attempt - if he can really do that (and I doubt that he can), I'll salute him. If he can't, he's received his come-uppance.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #232 on: May 06, 2015, 22:15 »
    Only just watched Dowsetts record. Incredibly disciplined, very un-alex like performance but got the job done.

Theres no doubt in my mind that Dowsett can go quicker than he did, now hes had the record even if Wiggins gets it I think Alex will have another go and put himself deep into the red.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #233 on: May 06, 2015, 22:20 »
    It appears that in both instances, he abandoned before the finish after realizing that his attempt would be futile.

[Edit]
    Ah. I should've looked up. Beaten to the punch.  :P

He wrote a very good book about the hour and his failed experiences though
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #234 on: May 06, 2015, 22:38 »
    On a side note, it was interesting to see not just Unzué in Manchester, but a huge number of Movistar staff.

Its quite interesting, in a good way, that a Spanish team have taken on this lad from Essex, and renewed his contract for another three years now untli 2017. In the hour record attempt alone there seems to have been a huge amount of investment, not just financially from the team in hiring the london velodrome multiple times, canyon etc, but also the sheer man hours theyve put into Dowsett.

In return, hes won stage of the giro (and helped them come second in the TT - although its noticable their TT'ing has improved since he joined.. dunno if hes giving them pointers), and a stage in the Circuit Sarthe, but considering the win at all costs the peloton shows at times (and considering Dowsett is someone considered by many to have very few darkside issues), that 2 wins is enough to get another three years.

They even allow him time to do things like London Nocturne, go for british national 25m tt records, ride national track titles, madison etc.

I realise hes still very young, only 26 and they are making an investment for the future, which could pay off if he goes for the hour multiple times, I just find it interesting that a Spanish team has so much faith in a wee lad from Essex. Maybe they just arent paying him very much.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #235 on: May 06, 2015, 22:57 »
    On a side note, it was interesting to see not just Unzué in Manchester, but a huge number of Movistar staff.

Its quite interesting, in a good way, that a Spanish team have taken on this lad from Essex, and renewed his contract for another three years now untli 2017. In the hour record attempt alone there seems to have been a huge amount of investment, not just financially from the team in hiring the london velodrome multiple times, canyon etc, but also the sheer man hours theyve put into Dowsett.

In return, hes won stage of the giro (and helped them come second in the TT - although its noticable their TT'ing has improved since he joined.. dunno if hes giving them pointers), and a stage in the Circuit Sarthe, but considering the win at all costs the peloton shows at times (and considering Dowsett is someone considered by many to have very few darkside issues), that 2 wins is enough to get another three years.

They even allow him time to do things like London Nocturne, go for british national 25m tt records, ride national track titles, madison etc.

I realise hes still very young, only 26 and they are making an investment for the future, which could pay off if he goes for the hour multiple times, I just find it interesting that a Spanish team has so much faith in a wee lad from Essex. Maybe they just arent paying him very much.

It would be intersting to know the fine details of his contract at Movistar. My guess is that he is on less than he was at Sky but that has come with the freedom to set some personal goals. At sky he might have ended up just being another domestique (although probably well remunerated) with limited opportunities for himself.

If he makes the tour team for Movistar this year with the right preparation coming off his training for the hour I would make him a serious contender to take stage 1 and the yellow jersey which would certainly be something for the team to aim for with him.

With regards to the point about the teams TTing I remember an article where he basically had to beg the team to give him a TT bike for training. Perhaps they've realised for the riders to get better at it they all need a training TT bike.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #236 on: May 06, 2015, 23:04 »
    Not sure he would be on less than he was at Sky, as I think they were back in to re-sign him before he re-upped with Movistar, so something broadly comparable.  He is a great lad, and I really hope he gets to wear yellow in Utrecht.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13472
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #237 on: May 06, 2015, 23:07 »
    I think he was very disappointed after having to miss the tour last year, so that he still signed for another 3 months just a couple of weeks later must be a sign that he is really satisfied there overall
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #238 on: May 06, 2015, 23:48 »
    With regards to the point about the teams TTing I remember an article where he basically had to beg the team to give him a TT bike for training. Perhaps they've realised for the riders to get better at it they all need a training TT bike.

movistars TTT'ing seemed to improve the minute he joined in 2013. I find it hard to believe a team that had guys like Indurain in its history wouldnt have had some TT'ing experts and training bikes.

I guess the way movistar look at it is they have plenty of contenders for one day races and grand tours, so to an extent they can afford to let Alex do his own thing. If he can take yellow in the tour, coupled with his Giro win he stands as maybe becoming one of the rare group to win a stage in all three grand tours, and as i say, still very young. With Wiggins, Cancellara out of the way, and Martin waning, even world championships arent out of his reach now
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4065
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #239 on: May 07, 2015, 00:58 »
    yep - he is the TT'ing star of the future.  (Martin still has a fair amount of time left in the sun though)

As for Wiggins - that interview is a prime example of exactly why I dislike him so very much.   Blergh
  • ReplyReply

•