collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 12122
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: The Hour record
« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2019, 09:20 »
next try today: #lotto Victor Campenaerts, and he looks likely to get the record

Live at 18:00 cest
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2659
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #331 on: April 17, 2019, 02:02 »
    :cool 55.089 km  :cool

Lotto Soudal's Victor Campenaerts set a new UCI Hour Record at the Aguascalientes Bicentenary Velodrome in Mexico on Tuesday, covering a distance of 55.089 km.

The previous Hour Record, set by Bradley Wiggins in 2015, at the Lee Valley Velo Park in London, was 54.526 km.

The margin of victory for Campenaerts was 0.563 km.

The commentator is, uh, well, I guess the focus should be on the rider anyway. But watching the onscreen numbers, I was totally confused at the end because it wasn't very apparent to me what his actually final distance was, and what the winning margin turned out to be.

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1118202376832393221

https://twitter.com/marc_sergeant/status/1118205304511062016

The choice of venue for attempting a feat of this level of difficulty must strike a fine balance between atmospheric conditions, track speed, and available oxygen for a top aerobic performance. The Aguascalientes velodrome is at an altitude of 1,800m, and while the reduced air pressure makes it one of the fastest tracks in the world, performing in the lower oxygen conditions takes specific adaptation.

Campenaerts slept in an altitude tent in Belgium and Mexico to simulate an altitude of 3,000m in order to prepare his body for the effort.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:23 by Drummer Boy »

Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 434
    « Reply #332 on: April 17, 2019, 08:48 »
    So I think marathon running has two records - with and without pacemakers..., [I think another with and without is probably in order too but that is darkside running chat...]

So should the hour have a sea level level and an altitude record?

Put another way - is 500m at altitude really better than 500m less in London...???
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2531
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #333 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22 »
    So I think marathon running has two records - with and without pacemakers..., [I think another with and without is probably in order too but that is darkside running chat...]

Put another way - is 500m at altitude really better than 500m less in London...???

Folks don't choose to go to Aguascalientes for nothing. I know there is a payoff in endurance events, but so many records have been set there.
     My niece even holds a couple. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #334 on: April 17, 2019, 14:49 »

As long as the same venues are available to everyone (and that seems to be the case with Mexico), then I believe that's the equivalent of "a level playing field." Riders are free to choose where they do this.

Three factors come into play though: Air pressure, temperature and humidity. In that linked CN article, it mentions that, "[Wiggins] set a distance of 54.526km, well below the 55km mark he hoped to achieve due to unfavourable atmospheric pressure." So had the barometer been different that day, the overall conditions may well have been in Bradley's favor.

It seems inescapable that those variables will always come into play with The Hour Record, but that's part of the game, I suppose. Any close victories will be viewed through that lens, but what could be done to mitigate such things? Even if all the record attempts were forced to take place in the same venue, would they then have to narrow it down to a margin of acceptable environmental conditions such as temp, humidity and air pressure?

On one hand, the argument could be made that the record itself is somewhat meaningless because of such variables. On the other, it could be argued that getting all the variables to align to one's advantage is just part of the overall equation.

I'm not sure exactly where my personal beliefs are on the matter. I still find some excitement in watching these attempts, although I'm honestly not entirely sure why!
     :P
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 434
    « Reply #335 on: April 17, 2019, 15:00 »
    I still find some excitement in watching these attempts, although I'm honestly not entirely sure why!

Yes agree with you on that  - and also not at all sure why!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7186
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #336 on: April 17, 2019, 22:21 »
    The commentator is, uh, well, I guess the focus should be on the rider anyway.
    :lol

Chapeau, Victor Campenaerts.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1572
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #337 on: April 17, 2019, 22:24 »
    Well done Victor for completing the hour in just 59 minutes and 32 seconds.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2637
    • Awards: 2018 Tour de France CQ game winnerGiro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #338 on: April 18, 2019, 11:09 »
    As long as the same venues are available to everyone (and that seems to be the case with Mexico), then I believe that's the equivalent of "a level playing field." Riders are free to choose where they do this.

Three factors come into play though: Air pressure, temperature and humidity. In that linked CN article, it mentions that, "[Wiggins] set a distance of 54.526km, well below the 55km mark he hoped to achieve due to unfavourable atmospheric pressure." So had the barometer been different that day, the overall conditions may well have been in Bradley's favor.

It seems inescapable that those variables will always come into play with The Hour Record, but that's part of the game, I suppose. Any close victories will be viewed through that lens, but what could be done to mitigate such things? Even if all the record attempts were forced to take place in the same venue, would they then have to narrow it down to a margin of acceptable environmental conditions such as temp, humidity and air pressure?

On one hand, the argument could be made that the record itself is somewhat meaningless because of such variables. On the other, it could be argued that getting all the variables to align to one's advantage is just part of the overall equation.

I'm not sure exactly where my personal beliefs are on the matter. I still find some excitement in watching these attempts, although I'm honestly not entirely sure why!

The obvious solution would be for several people to make their attempts at the same time, in the same place.

They might even be able to draft off each other and go even faster...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain

Recent Posts

Re: Ardennes Classics 2019 (Amstel Gold Race) by search
    [April 21, 2019, 09:35]

Re: Stage 7 - Vasto > L'Aquila (179.35km) by Leadbelly
    [April 20, 2019, 19:16]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [April 20, 2019, 18:18]