collapse

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 16
Songs that unite generations
« on: April 04, 2012, 23:45 »
There are a few songs out there whose appeal cuts across generational divides in a way that never happened to people of my generation. I am a child of the 60's. The music my parents knew was from a different planet. I was taken to the opera and to watch the Vienna Philharmonic, which at least gave me an abiding love of Beethoven, but I could not connect with my parents in any way once the Beatles et al happened.

So, what I'm looking for are songs that appealed to you, as well as to other generations of family and friends, something that a diverse group of people could identify with.

To kick this off, my example is Bruce's 'Dancing in the Dark' video that came out in 1984 and that marked the start of Courtney Cox's career when Bruce pulled her up on stage to dance with him.

Present in my living room in London when we were all first equally awed by both the song and video were a group of people of widely varying ages and musical tastes-

My (then) wife and her twin sister (late 30's)
Me (late 30's)
Sister's daughter (17)
Mother-in-law (early 60's)
My oldest son (6)

We all absolutely loved this number. Get the idea? A piece of music whose appeal across different ages and tastes surprised and delighted you - that's what I'm looking for.

Have at it. ;)

• ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    Re: Songs that unite generations
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 23:50 »
    I think this song

edit: Its a good drinking song and the music is just great.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 00:02 by zam »

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 23:52 »
    I think it would be nice if posts were accompanied by some elaboration, rather than only posting a link.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 23:53 »

It unites the 50's 60's and 70's and puts them all into one song,

• ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 00:00 »
    My dad was born in 1957, so he shares the same thing as you do Amsterhammer. Love for Classic Rock music, Pink Floyd was and still is by far his favorite band and obviously as a parent would do is share his/her love for music with his/her family members, and so he did. Whenever we are downstairs the radio still is on the Arrows Classic Rock constantly.

One of my favorite songs of my dad by Pink Floyd is Wish You Were Here, I guess its one of their most popular songs, but for some reason my father and I always have one of those special moments where you both know you enjoy the song and it has a meaning for both of you.

Then to "my" generation, the 90s & 00s. I used to be a great fan of Robbie Williams' old music, not his newer stuff. My dad and I both share the fact we like his songs aswell. So heres his best song, just for funs. :)

• ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 00:59 »
    This song is the best intellectual way of saying "fcuk you"  for any generation....my uncle used to like it

i will make my children listen to it.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 01:14 »
    This song is the best intellectual way of saying "fcuk you"  for any generation....my uncle used to like it

i will make my children listen to it.

I know a better way of saying f*ck you that transcends generations.

Just say, well, "f*ck you"

Reasoning- number 1 in Britain in 1991 and 2009.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16 »
    I know a better way of saying f*ck you that translates generations.

Just say, well, "f*ck you"

Reasoning- number 1 in Britain in 1991 and 2009.

i wrote "intellectual"
  • ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 36
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16 »
    This one takes the cake for me and for many Australians alike.
  • ReplyReply
  • - Australia's greatest sporting moment

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3478
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 09:22 »

Then to "my" generation, the 90s & 00s. I used to be a great fan of Robbie Williams' old music, not his newer stuff. My dad and I both share the fact we like his songs aswell. So heres his best song, just for funs. :)

not quite my generation  - but my favourite song all the same  :)  ... and teaching my daughter too.  First song she requested on her ipod  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:25 »
    This one takes the cake for me and for many Australians alike.

Not this ?

• ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 11:42 »
    Another post about my dad ;D. My dad is a great fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival and I was just downstairs and they were played on Arrows Classic Rock and my dad just made this note:

Dad:
    Ook al gaat er duizend jaar voorbij dit blijft de mooiste muziek die er is.

Translation:
    Even if thousands year will pass, this will remain the best music there ever was.

• ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 36
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:38 »
    Not this ?

that is also another song but less so than AC/DC. My friend loves Down Under.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 15:56 »
    I'd say the best example of music that unites generations would be Queen. I can't count the number of times a song like 'We Will Rock You' has been covered at a concert, by bands varying from Pearl Jam to Vampire Weekend, plus the number of times it's remixed in a club, or even played on TV during montages. And every time everyone knows the lyrics: from 18 year olds at the clubs to 50 year olds who were young when it was released. And then there's the musical which, though I didn't like it, seems to inspire a generation of younger kids to listen to Queen again..

And that's just one Queen song. Then there's 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'We Are the Champions', 'Who Wants to Live Forever?', 'Another One Bites the Dust', etc...

I think good music in general unites generations. Two more obvious picks would be Beatles and Stones: at the last Rolling Stones tour there were people from all ages present as well. Some older than the Stones themselves, some that looked like they were lost on their way to a Justin Bieber concert, and everything in between. Another example is the Alan Parsons Project's 'Old and Wise'. That was my father's favourite song when he was in his twenties, it was classical enough to satisfy my grandfather, and I love it as well.

• ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 23:38 »
    Like the OP I remember hearing  song and seeing the way it touched the very old, the very young and those in between.
    It was truly special, something i will never forget.
    The way the children rose with their parents and their grandparents to their feet, screaming with joy.
    Im pretty sure I remember some of them crying.

The day was April 1st 2001.

Houston texas.

The reliant Astrdome.

90 000 people.

All ages.

The most historic night in sports entertainment.

A night millions will never forget.

And the one moment when they all stood up.

A song that has united classes

Has united  races.

Has united.

Generations.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 23:55 by The Hitch »

blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 23:56 »

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 144
    • Vale Craig1985
    « Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 04:08 »
    My niece's school did the debutante thing a few years ago (:fp) and I was delighted to see everyone rush to the dance floor when this came on. (Okay, not my parents or their generation, but everyone my age or thereabouts and younger.)

• ReplyReply

• Boomice

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    • #DickRobertson
    « Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:24 »

My favorite song of all time. Timeless.
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 14:31 »
    Surprised no-one has put this up before now ....

Every year one of the radio stations back in NZ has a "Rock Wars" where people get to vote for the best song in the playlist ... Every year, this is in the top 10 or so ...
    Maybe the god-botherers are right and it really is back-tracked/back-mastered and we're all being brainwashed!!!!! Or maybe it's just 'cos it's a great song ...  Don't know - but I do know that I've got to go and sweep the pentagram and light the candles ....   :P

...kinda funny that the Led Zepplin and the Monkees ended up being back to back in this thread because my original Monkees post was to include a Led Zepplin song.....and also include a line about how those two particular things were major players in the death of rock'n'roll.....unfortunately work called and the original intent was scrubbed and there was just enough time to post the Monkees...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 14:36 »
    ....when this was first played on The Ed Sullivan it became one of the biggest moments in cultural history...and some would argue had the biggest impact of any cultural event ever....

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 15:27 by blutto »

Susan Westemeyer

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 50
    « Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 14:55 »
    Another post about my dad ;D. My dad is a great fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival and I was just downstairs and they were played on Arrows Classic Rock and my dad just made this note:

Your Dad is right. I am also his generation, by the way.

CCR is fantastic.
  • ReplyReply
  • tick-ink.biz/eng

blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 04:49 »
    Ok, so now you've got me interested ... what's your theory on Monkees and Zep and the death of rock?? :-\

...to make a long ( like PhD thesis long...and guaranteed to put you sleep ) story short...rock'n'roll had up to the late 60's been mainly an outlier cultural phenomenon...the appearance of the two groups that I mentioned up-thread were important parts of a move to produce a thing that was a morphed rock'n'roll  (wherein rock became for the most part merely a fashion statement within the main stream culture )

...a more modern example of this kind of cultural transformation would be the Harley Davidson example ( wherein straight and true and upstanding members of society...think dentists or the like here...could buy a hog and a proper costume and be transformed instantly into a Ruppie...a certified Rugged Urbane Professional...)

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 08:39 »
    ...to make a long ( like PhD thesis long...and guaranteed to put you sleep ) story short...rock'n'roll had up to the late 60's been mainly an outlier cultural phenomenon...the appearance of the two groups that I mentioned up-thread were important parts of a move to produce a thing that was a morphed rock'n'roll  (wherein rock became for the most part merely a fashion statement within the main stream culture )

...a more modern example of this kind of cultural transformation would be the Harley Davidson example ( wherein straight and true and upstanding members of society...think dentists or the like here...could buy a hog and a proper costume and be transformed instantly into a Ruppie...a certified Rugged Urbane Professional...)

Cheers

blutto

while i was in school i once gave a lecture about the history and progression of rock from the beatles upto grunge music...long time ago....the class was to my fellow batchmate. :D
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 14:14 »
    while i was in school i once gave a lecture about the history and progression of rock from the beatles upto grunge music...long time ago....the class was to my fellow batchmate. :D

....so what colour is your Harley? ;D....

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 15:31 »

...another song that nicely reflected a new cultural phenom, though as a function of the mass culture ( and very much at the expense of the old original surf culture...which, incidently, was very outlier...a classic weak grid grouping...see the Kilgore/Lance discussion on surf-boards as a very in-the-known reference to this development...)

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 16:18 by blutto »