collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1414
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: The American "Wheelmen"
« on: April 05, 2014, 00:05 »
I have saved the pdf for reading material whilst I am in Saudi, where presumably reading material is at a premium.

My only comment is a kvetch: how did this thread get associated with a title like "League of American Cyclists"? Whoa. The "LAC" has never existed, to my knowledge. The LAW was, in name at least, an institution. The LAB is a bastardization of a name, based on PC politics, and in my thinking, a complete waste of energy. On reading the history available from this thread, I quickly see why the LAW/LAB was the ineffective and impotent organization that I experienced when I was an active bicycle advocate in the late 1980's.

So, at some point, should I have the time, and the drive, and if I live long enough, I am going to restart the L.A.W. - since it is eminently arguable that the current organization has no specific claim to the historic name. I'm going to give chewbacca the first option at arguing the case. Of course, this will likely never happen. But, jic.

Changing topics - the film "LAW - train trip to Beloit"? Dating likely post WW2, late 40's, early 50's. Not likely earlier than 1946, nor later than 1955. But hey, that's only my opinion. And it was fun little film to watch!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .