collapse

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1784
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
Re: 2014-15 Team sponsorship watch
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21 »
They've been a partner of NetApp-Endura for some time (at least this season, possibly last one as well). They will have built relationships with the management.
And if Giant-Shimano folds they could try to lure Kittel and the other Germans over.

But I think the real reason is money. BORA doesn't look like a mega company to me, I don't think their sponsorship money would be enough to pay for a team with the household names Giant-Shimano has.
NetApp-Endura is at the Tour as well, have big chances of getting invited again next year - why spend more than you need (or can afford, for that matter)?

I don't think half a WT will run you much more than sole sponsorship of a top pro-conti, so the finance would be my point too, unless they cut back their spending and build a team that is for the large part not competitive they won't get a cheaper deal. Basically I wonder if thy brought König over and covered his wage and then one half of the current team there, I can't see it being that much more costly then them having to bring in more fire power where they are at if they want to establish themselves. Honestly I am not sure they will be brought back to the Tour, a french team moves up to pro conti, or Europcar moves down and they would be out. Also from what they have shown me so far I think ASO would pick MTN over them if they had a chance to redo their selection.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #91 on: July 15, 2014, 12:26 »
    I don't think half a WT will run you much more than sole sponsorship of a top pro-conti, so the finance would be my point too, unless they cut back their spending and build a team that is for the large part not competitive they won't get a cheaper deal. Basically I wonder if thy brought König over and covered his wage and then one half of the current team there, I can't see it being that much more costly then them having to bring in more fire power where they are at if they want to establish themselves.
    Maybe not. But half a team is only half a team - what if 1t4i (currently Giant-Shimano) can't find a second title sponsor? Then BORA would be left with nothing. This way they have a whole team. Not as good as half of Giant-Shimano, but they have full control.

One bird in the hand vs. two in the bush and all that. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #92 on: July 15, 2014, 13:02 »
    Maybe not. But half a team is only half a team - what if 1t4i (currently Giant-Shimano) can't find a second title sponsor? Then BORA would be left with nothing. This way they have a whole team. Not as good as half of Giant-Shimano, but they have full control.

One bird in the hand vs. two in the bush and all that. ;)

That other half could easily be Shimano and then Giant as bike sponsor though.

Two in the bush is much safer if you are trying to shoot the birds.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485
    « Reply #93 on: July 15, 2014, 14:13 »
    Team bora bora..i like
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #94 on: July 16, 2014, 07:40 »
    *nl pro team update

#belkin - still talking no deals signed

#giant - no good news re sponsors for 2015, Giant wants on board

#orange cycling project, still short of money

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #95 on: July 21, 2014, 07:14 »
    Dutch sponsorship update 123

Giant have found a sponsor news to come

Belkin have a lower budget but team saved Biachi increase,   dutch lottery and another company (I forget who, chip in )
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #96 on: July 21, 2014, 09:04 »
    Belkin have a lower budget but team saved Biachi increase,   dutch lottery and another company (I forget who, chip in )

So two teams named Lotto?

Also almost certain to merge at some point, makes sense when you think of it.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    « Reply #97 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33 »
    Dutch sponsorship update 123

Giant have found a sponsor news to come

BrandLoyalty is the other sponsor. They also currently sponsor an speed skating team, and they will combine the two teams. The speed skating team features amongst others Sven Kramer. The two teams will be one organisational entity, and the budget for the speed skating part will be significantly increased.

Lotto is the main sponsor, BrandLoyalty a secondary sponsor. A third one is still needed to complete the budget, but the team appears to have been saved regardless. Roompot Vakanties is named as one of the potential co-sponsors, but are also still in negotiations with the Orange Cycling Team.

As for Giant, I haven't heard much on that beyond what was mentioned on Twitter. But they have always seemed most likely to continue, with a co-sponsor that appears not to be a problem. If both continue and Orange enters the sport, then suddenly the next few years for Dutch cycling look a lot brighter.

That does mean Alonso will not be able to buy either team - assuming he's not the Giant sponsor. Perhaps he'll buy Cannondale instead? Would be great to be able to 'save' that team as well.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #98 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28 »
    They've been a partner of NetApp-Endura for some time (at least this season, possibly last one as well). They will have built relationships with the management.
    And if Giant-Shimano folds they could try to lure Kittel and the other Germans over.

But I think the real reason is money. BORA doesn't look like a mega company to me, I don't think their sponsorship money would be enough to pay for a team with the household names Giant-Shimano has.
    NetApp-Endura is at the Tour as well, have big chances of getting invited again next year - why spend more than you need (or can afford, for that matter)?

You're over-selling 1T4I a bit there. "team with household names" is basically Kittel and maybe Degenkolb,  A casual cycling fan isn't going to know more than and the general public less. The rest may be talented, but haven't made that big a name of themselves yet.

Seems AG2R could have some competition next year. Bora's corporate colour seems to be this?

Looks grey to me?

So two teams named Lotto?

Also almost certain to merge at some point, makes sense when you think of it.

Three - FDJ too ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8140
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #99 on: July 21, 2014, 10:40 »
    Grey?! You aren't using a black and white monitor are you?  :P

You'd have to ask a paint mixer or somebody, but I'd say the technical term would be mushroom or biscuit.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #100 on: July 21, 2014, 11:03 »
    RGB thing came out with 87 87 87. Thought that means a level Grey. Still, I'm definitely no expert here, I am partially colour-blind :D

In more news, Etixx jumps up to sponsor Quickstep at WT level next season, seems OP are gone. No idea if they will still support the junior team too.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #101 on: July 21, 2014, 11:04 »
    https://twitter.com/gregorbrown/status/491157449702137856

Unexpected...

There was never a chance that OPQS wouldn't continue to have financial backing, but I hadn't heard any whispers that OmegaPharma were pulling out? Going elsewhere?

EDIT: OK - so Tuarts beat my by 6 seconds ;) It wouldn't be without precedent for OP to move to a different team.

And yes, I would expect Etixx to continue to support the junior team. Or, at least, I would expect Zdenek Bakala to find some way of continuing its funding.

• ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #102 on: July 21, 2014, 12:09 »
    no - etixx is a sport nutrition supplement made by Omega Pharma.

Same sponsor, just different name on the jersey
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #103 on: July 21, 2014, 12:27 »
    Same as when they switched between Davitamon, Predictor, Silence and Omega Pharma. Just a different name from the same sponsor, nothing special. But apparently this is for the long term: "at least up to and including the 2017 season". Now hopefully they will get a better jersey.

Also partly because Lotto will definitely not be an improvement over the current Belkin colours. Lotto colour is yellow, with some bingo balls that will undoubtedly be seen on the jersey.

Combined with the orange and black of BrandLoyalty.. expect something horrible. Could be good horrible if they go the yellow fluo way - bright yellow and orange. More likely to be bad horrible, I fear.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #104 on: July 21, 2014, 12:29 »
    no - etixx is a sport nutrition supplement made by Omega Pharma.

Same sponsor, just different name on the jersey

Look at you with your actual knowledge  ;) :P :lol

And right you are - this (presumably not final) image is on the Etixx website:

Meanwhile, I just made a shout that I am disproportionately proud of...

Quote from: Me
    If the existing Lotto team stay in Red, and the new one wear yellow, we could have Red Lotto-Yellow Lotto
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #105 on: July 22, 2014, 10:56 »
    #mtn MTN-Qhubeka team up with Cervélo:
    Cervélo partners with MTN-Qhubeka for 2015
    I like this bit:
    The new Team MTN-Qhubeka partnership is built around a fresh team concept designed to take fan experience and interaction to a whole new level, with Cervélo co-founder Gerard Vroomen heading up the effort. Building on ideas developed with the highly successful Cervélo Test Team of 2009-10, the concept is designed to bring fans closer to the team and its riders than ever before.

This also makes it more and more certain (although nothing is confirmed yet) that Garmin will ride on Cannondale next year. What happens to the current #cannondale Cannondale team, nobody knows.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #106 on: July 25, 2014, 12:03 »
    Rumour is that the big multinational 3M will be the new title sponsor of Giant-Shimano. The big firm with 33 billion in revenues last year is in talks with multiple teams, but looking for an international team with an image that fits with them. They would likely be first sponsor with Giant as secondary.

Original Telegraaf article: http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tour-de-france-2014/22895063/__3M_praat_met_Giant-Shimano__.html

And CN's English translation: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-3m-interested-in-sponsoring-giant-shimano
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #107 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10 »
    Rumour is that the big multinational 3M will be the new title sponsor of Giant-Shimano. The big firm with 33 billion in revenues last year is in talks with multiple teams, but looking for an international team with an image that fits with them. They would likely be first sponsor with Giant as secondary.

So what happens to 3M's current team?

http://www.procyclingstats.com/team/1651-Team3M-2014

And CN's English translation

Lol - you cynic ;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #108 on: July 25, 2014, 12:14 »
    Look at you with your actual knowledge  ;) :P :lol

And right you are - this (presumably not final) image is on the Etixx website:

Meanwhile, I just made a shout that I am disproportionately proud of...

Strangely enough, you can buy the complete range of OP's Etixx products in my local pharmacy.

Mind you, my local mini supermarket also sells chamois cream in the beauty section ....

Belgium  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #109 on: July 25, 2014, 12:16 »
    So what happens to 3M's current team?

http://www.procyclingstats.com/team/1651-Team3M-2014

No word on that. According to the Telegraaf article they signed a 3 year contract with that team 2 years ago, so I assume they would have to sponsor it for at least one more year.

Lol - you cynic ;)

Seriously, look at the two articles. They translated the quotes literally, threw the word order of the sentences around a bit and then added a list of wins from the team. And there's not even a link to the original Telegraaf article included.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #110 on: July 25, 2014, 12:20 »
    This might be interesting to those of you who like a bit of sponsor trivia...

Last year, as soon as I could hobble again after breaking my foot, I had my housemate drive me to Westvleteren for a couple of draughts of the finest beer in the world.

Normally it would be me driving and I would never have noticed ... but on the E17 near De Pinte, I saw Omega Pharma's HQ with lots of cycling-related advertising on the building.

A few moments later on the left, there was the HQ of Renson, OPQS' short sponsors.

And then a handful of kms further in Waregem, just off the same motorway, the home of Unilin, parent company of QuickStep.

Geographical symbiosis or just plain coincidence?  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #111 on: July 25, 2014, 12:26 »
    Last year, as soon as I could hobble again after breaking my foot, I had my housemate drive me to Westvleteren for a couple of draughts of the finest beer in the world.

I stopped reading at this point. I now hate you[1]
     1. a little bit
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #112 on: July 25, 2014, 13:10 »
    They make the straps in our hard hats here in LOL-land. I'm a fan already. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #113 on: July 25, 2014, 18:00 »
    It's about #lululemon Specialized-lululemon, so a women's team. But it's an issue that is of some interest to the men's side of the sport as well:
    VELOCIO SPORTS TURNS TO CROWD FUNDING TO FUND TEAM WITH PROJECT-X

Paris, France, 25th July, 2014 - Velocio Sports announced today that it is opening up club membership for 2015 to its fans and supporters of women's cycling.

"We're switching tactics in our search for team sponsorship and funding," said Team Owner Kristy Scrymgeour, "and we want to get the cycling community involved in an attempt to build a bridge between the ever-increasing number of recreational cyclists and pro cycling as a sport."

The team's financial contracts with Specialized and lululemon come to an end in December and the team is looking to bring on new partners.

"We have corporate interest for part of our budget and we've decided to add to that by trying something a little different."

The team will launch a campaign on Friday with indiegogo, a global crowd-funding platform, which allows the public to get involved with projects that they're passionate about. In this case, everyone who gets involved will be a team member and will have access to exclusive information and opportunities.

"It's a way for us to invite people to be a part of the team and vote for women's cycling at the same time. It starts with supporting our team, but if we can create a buzz around this campaign, it will reach the eyes of potential sponsors for both the team and other aspects of our sport.

Scrymgeour continued, "women's cycling needs two things: exposure and a growing the fan base. This weekend's La Course at the Tour de France is a great opportunity to get that exposure and we need more and more of that. By growing our women's cycling community and building a bigger fan base, we increase the demand for more exposure.

The campaign, which can be found here, offers up incentives to be involved at any level.

"We want to create an opportunity for everyone to be involved and we're lucky to have not only the team, but support from former pro Ina-Yoko Teutenberg and representatives from the men's side of the support with George Hincapie and Bernie Eisel offering up their time to support the campaign and women's cycling."

Other teams have tried crowdfunding before. It hasn't worked so far, but maybe this will. After all they're only looking for part of the budget - even though it's still 700,000 $. And crowdfunding is more established now than in 2009 when the former Team Capinordic (ex-GLS) tried to find money that way.

I'll be following this with interest. And I might chip in myself:
    Link to Indiegogo
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #114 on: July 27, 2014, 15:56 »
    #lotto Future secured for another team.
    The Belgian National Lottery continues to fund the team, and Soudal step up to be co-sponsor until at least 2020.

2015-2020 the team will be named Lotto-Soudal.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13158
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #115 on: July 27, 2014, 17:03 »
    No word on that. According to the Telegraaf article they signed a 3 year contract with that team 2 years ago, so I assume they would have to sponsor it for at least one more year.

the current 3M Team is sponsored by '3M Benelux' though - will that be the same for the World Tour Team?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #116 on: July 28, 2014, 09:36 »
    https://twitter.com/inrng/status/493666110534078464

Cofidis to ride Orbea bikes in 2015 says L'Equipe (via @inrng)

Orbea supplied Euskaltel until their demise last year, as I'm sure you all remember. The French squad (although with Spanish leadership) currently ride Look.

Do Look supply anyone else? I would be surprised not to see them underneath top riders next year.

Also...

the current 3M Team is sponsored by '3M Benelux' though - will that be the same for the World Tour Team?

Good point...
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #117 on: July 28, 2014, 14:01 »
    Lotto Belisol to become Lotto Soudal in 2015

The future of one of the longest-running cycling teams is secured after it has been announced that Soudal will replace Belisol as the sponsor of the Lotto-Belisol team. Both Lotto and Soudal have committed themselves to the project from 2015 to 2020.

For over thirty years Lotto is inextricably linked to cycling, as a popular sport and top sport. This continuous interest and support is founded on a passion for cycling sport and a belief in the power of joining people through cycling. The Lotto players aren’t only clients, they are the best fans as well. The future of the Lotto Cycling Project, the top team, the ladies team and U23 team are guaranteed on a long-term basis thanks to the support of structural partners.

“We have always wanted to open doors for cycling, in a generous way and with reliable partners," Jannie Haek, CEO National Lottery, said. "To fulfill dreams you need a team that shares the same passion and the same ambitions.”
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 663
    « Reply #118 on: July 28, 2014, 20:29 »
    Canadian journo hinting at Netapp-Endura (BORA) riding a Canadian -Quebecois bikes ARGON??  ;)

Leopold König, le solide Tchèque de la NetApp-Endura, qui finit dans le top 10. Il aurait belle allure sur un vélo québécois

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/autres-sports/cyclisme/201407/28/01-4787281-les-petites-et-les-grandes-histoires-du-tour.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS1
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #119 on: July 29, 2014, 08:15 »
    Cofidis not riding Look,  meh not good news, thoze current team issue Looks

B e A u tiful
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 19/20 by search
    [Today at 10:04]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [Today at 08:10]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by al_pacino