collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1266

http://nos.nl/video/616900-broers-vanmarcke-vormen-uniek-stel.html

Vanmarcke Brothers : A Unique Pair

Sep : When I was a novice he had already stopped racing for a few years. His conditions had really dropped a lot. One day he rode 40km with me. That’s how we started. Then he was just dog-tired (laugh). From then on we just trained together and he resumed racing. It was in 2004 I think. Now we are in 2014 and we still train together.

Ken : I also had the dream to become one day a pro rider but I apparently had my limits. I accepted that. But it’s always fun to still be connected with that dream. Surely with Sep who is my best mate. Therefore you are going through fire and water. When I eventually stopped racing I had the feeling that I still wanted to train with him and to support him in the build up of his career. I still enjoy it a lot otherwise he wouldn’t do it.

Sep : It’s an enormous added values for me. He’s a sparring partner. Just like tennis players who need someone on the other side of the net. I have him next to me when we ‘blokken doen’ [can’t translate], sprint uphill, then he is an opponent whereby I can push my limits

He comes everyday but when he once on holiday is then I reduce my trainings to the minimum.

Ken : I’m a postman in Anzegem. So far it’s still combinable with trainings with Sep.

Sep : During his days off, we can train in the morning, or the whole day through. In his working days, then he first go to work and meanwhile I’m doing my floor exercices. In the afternoon or at around noon we can go.

Ken : At 4.15am I get up. Then go to work, I’m doing my hours. An hour before I’m done with it, I am informing Sep about when exactly we may start. About my food : my wife prepare my slices of bread the day before. I’m eating at 7.00am at work and on my way back home or at home. Then I straight leave and we are meeting and do our hours. At around 5pm I get back home again. I do my best to give the necessary attention to my family but sometimes at about 8.30pm I am the shadow of my own self. But okay…

Sep : I try to prepare a few things in order for him to sit comfortably on his bike, to make sure that everything is in order, that he has everything as I have. I like that best.

Ken : Sep appreciates what I do a lot and he tries to help me in that, in order to make it as easy as possible for me and it sure is super pleasant that I can ride with the best equipment that exists : the nicest outfit, the best helmets, the best glasses. That is really very pleasant and then I have the feeling that I also am a ‘real’ one, as we say.     

http://www.dhnet.be/archive/comparez-moi-a-edwig-van-hooydonck-51b7e223e4b0de6db993b434

Article by the Dernière Heure after the win in Ghent-Ghent 2012.

They discovered that Sep was driving a 9 year old Ford Mondeo (240,000k) and winning the Omloop won't make him buy a new car. The objective is to reach 300,000km.

He refused to be compared to Boonen and Gilbert but likes being compared  to Van Hooydonck who was also an attacker not often winning.

Van Hooydonck cried on the podium after his win at the Tour of Flanders and so did Sep after his win at the Omloop, says the reporters. It was actually funny because he half cried half smiled.  :)

Just like Van Hooydonck, Sep has strict stances on doping:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vanmarcke-talks-classics-anti-doping-and-the-tue-process

Testing times

Although Rabobank’s departure gave way for a short term wave of optimism in the guise of Highroad and their post-Telekom days, the headlines in recent months have been dominated by confessions from riders who raced for Holland’s former number one team of the 1990s and 2000s. Rasmussen, Leipheimer, Lotz, De Jongh, Sorenson, and Boogerd all came forward to confirm the news we’d all long suspected. Their salaries had been paid up, their contracts already dust but for the riders like Vanmarcke the damage was only beginning to tell.

“There was a big problem and now things from the past came out. Now people have stopped believing in clean cycling. There will always be cheaters, always, go look at the world in politics, but the authorities need to keep doing what they’re doing and stop cheats as soon as possible. If new drugs are being developed the authorities need to be able to test for those substances as soon as possible.

“Things are good now but there needs to be more testing. I know it’s expensive but more testing is the best way to scare the riders.

“My last test was in November and that’s really, really too long if you’re any rider, no matter how good you are. If you see last year most positives were from out of competition. Athletes all know that if you win a race or make the podium you will be tested so not many will try in the races. If you see with blood doping it was always in training camps or in preparation for big races so there should be lots more out of competition testing.

“It’s hard to say to people that you have to believe I’m clean when my last test was almost half a year ago. Even then you can’t prove everything with tests so it’s hard to convince people you’re clean. Sometimes I think it’s impossible and I get frustration. I saw in the press, in Belgium 90 per cent of people don’t believe in clean cycling any more. I do everything to be as good as possible, everything except taking anything that’s illegal, and then no one believes you. That’s so frustrating.

“I tweeted that people need to give us a chance but then the reaction from people is that I need to prove myself. How can I prove myself? It’s really difficult. Since then I try not to give too much attention to it because I can’t fix everything. I race clean, I can’t be more clean and I can’t do anything else.”

It should be remembered that Sep is not just a man of April but the August classics are not hard enough for him. Let us remember his attack in the penultimate ascent of the Waseberg in last year's Hamburg. Also in Paris-Tours he was very strong.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vattenfall-cyclassics-2013/results
On the penultimate climb of the Waseberg, Sep Vanmarcke attacked and the Paris-Roubaix runner-up was joined by three other strongmen: Wouter Mol (Vacansoleil-DCM), Ian Stannard (Sky) and Niki Terpstra (Omega Pharma-QuickStep). Terpstra had another dig on the final haul up the Waseberg climb but with 8 kilometres to go, he was recaptured and a bunch sprint was inevitable.
:D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 20:39 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2464
    Vanmarcke seems like a good guy, and a great rider. He's been foiled by Cancellara twice now, but I have no doubt that within a few years he'll have some monuments behind his name.

In recent riders he reminds me of Flecha most: very strong, but not really a finishing weapon as Boonen's sprint or Cancellara's uphill accelleration / TT / sprint (is there anything Fabian can't do? :D ). But Vanmarcke seems to be far stronger than Flecha ever was, and he's still young. He is also at the right team, with good support and it seems the right environment for him. Not as much Belgian pressure from the media in a foreign team, which is good.

I hope he'll continue to be active in other races as well; both the later classcis and going on the attack in stage races. And sorry Echoes, that includes GTs ;)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    It often takes young guys a good few attempts to get it right with these races.

Look at Cancellara himself - how many monuments has he lost on the line?

Sep is a fantastic talent, and he has an incredibly bright future.  He will learn an awful lot from these losses ...
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    In recent riders he reminds me of Flecha most: very strong, but not really a finishing weapon as Boonen's sprint or Cancellara's uphill accelleration / TT / sprint (is there anything Fabian can't do? :D ).

But he has a sprint. Look at my picture. Don't you remember?  ;) He outsprinted Boonen & Flecha at that Ghent-Ghent.  Though as a matter of fact Flecha could also sprint when he felt like it (see Zurich 2002, huh well that was in a previous life, so to speak).

He's been foiled by Cancellara twice. That's true but does that mean he has no sprint. Well look at last year's Paris-Roubaix. You can't really talk about a sprint in which "theoretical" speed is prevalent, can you? It was a matter of freshness more than anything else. If I were to literally translate a famous Dutch idiom into English: "a sprint of dying swans." :D

At this year's Tour of Flanders, Sep was a bit stuck in the sprint, if you watch the footage again (his mistake though) and again, it was a sprint after a long classics, not the same as a sprint after a 200km semi-classic.

On this I fully agree with AG. Sep is only just 24 (can't realize he's still so young, it's been quite a while he's been there). At age 23 Cancellara lost Paris-Roubaix to Backstedt, Hoffman and Hammond. Vanmarcke to Cancellara - tightly.

Cancellara today is a routineer in those classics, which he wasn't in 2004. With the years he's been able to handle the distance. Sep still needs to get to grips with it. Classics are for experienced riders, basically. Don't forget that !

What I however don't understand is why Sep skipped Milan-Sanremo. It seems to me that if only for experience, he should've raced it.

But yeah I really feel he's a good guy. So humble! Probably too much for the cycling world, I guess. A better man than champion (and that's positive).  :)
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 830
    Too cute!  Check out Het Nieuwsblad photo for Sep Vanmarcke.

Getting married August. Baby girl due Sept.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160401_02214306
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Good for him. :)

Not as cool as proposing with the Paris-Roubaix cobblestone like Vansummeren, though. :P
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 747
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    Hoping he breaks his monument duck this week.

Really likeable looking bloke and always puts the effort in.

He might need to get away from Jumbo to really fulfil his potential though.
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 257
    • Awards: best new member of 2016

I'm a big fan of Sep although he looked absolutely spent on that climb of the Paterberg in the RVV, poor lad.
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    I'm a big fan of Sep although he looked absolutely spent on that climb of the Paterberg in the RVV, poor lad.

He did. Great to watch though!
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1422
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
     :D :D :D :D

I did not know there was a Sep thread, how very cool.

I was so impressed with him on Sunday, but oooof when he came to standstill almost

I just adore this though

https://twitter.com/Tiemeijer/status/716669740404645888

#poppedhiscork :lol :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    He did. Great to watch though!

Yes he seemed to summon some energy for a bit and bit turn with Fabs although I think he was actually slowing them down. Hats off for not sitting on though. He was so done in by the time they arrived at the line.

I'm rather hopeful he can put a good showing in this weekend. I really want a good 3 or 4 way tussle with some big guns
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    Yes he seemed to summon some energy for a bit and bit turn with Fabs although I think he was actually slowing them down. Hats off for not sitting on though. He was so done in by the time they arrived at the line.

I'm rather hopeful he can put a good showing in this weekend. I really want a good 3 or 4 way tussle with some big guns

Yeah, he was cooked but fair play to him for giving it a go.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    Sep will crush it on Sunday barring any bad luck. :daotec
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I was critical of Sep during the race for not taking turns - I have seen him sit on in those situations before and thought it was a ploy to save energy for the end.

I was pleased to see him take a few turns later (even though they did lose ground with him on the front) ... and not contest the sprint for 2nd.   It was very clear that him missing early was truly because he couldnt and not becuase he wouldnt.

My opinion of him is restored   :D
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro

I saw this posted on twitter so I thought it deserved a spot on this thread  :) :) :)
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    Gave him a good mention on my podcast today... https://tmblr.co/Zck52j24a5eSc
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    Gave him a good mention on my podcast today... https://tmblr.co/Zck52j24a5eSc

ooh a podcast! I didn't know you did that Jimmy. I'll give that a listen tonight!
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    how was it?
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    I really like Sep but my fear is he lacks the killer mentality/instinct to become the absolute best. On the cobbles there arent more stylish riders than him and Boom - who also lacks the killer instinct imho - but it is rumoured you dont get a prize for that.

Lets hope he - or Boom - disprove the above tomorrow, hopefully in the wet.

By the way, he had cramps on the Pater last sunday.

• ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    and he is leaving Jumbo  which after the last two weeks I find odd great team support
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2464
    That's interesting. Where would he go? With him and Sagan there are two really big hitters for the classics (the biggest two arguably) available. Trek will sign one of them probably to replace Cancellara, but which other team could support one? Vanmarcke at Lotto would be great, but would he want to sign for a Belgian team now? As long as he doesn't sign for Etixx...

Also, where does that leave Jumbo? Maybe they'll try to convince Boom to come back to them?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Maybe they'll try to convince Boom to come back to them?
    Boom may go back to full-time cyclo-cross - a decision that I could understand. Big fish in a smaller pond & absolute world-class rather than one of the sub-toppers on the road.

Vanmarcke has said earlier in his career that the pressure was too high on a Belgian team, but maybe he's grown enough (in stature and mentally) to go there now. #lotto would be my preference. If he chooses to stay away from Belgium, #trek is the obvious choice. Stuyven, Theuns and Vanmarcke would be a very nice classics team.

Sagan is either going to stay with Feltrin or signing for #trek, I can't see any other team having the cash for him really. I don't think #trek will (or can) sign Sagan and Vanmarcke though ... so a lot depends on whether Feltrin can somehow find backers to continue the #tinkoff team in a new incarnation.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    whoever is going to sign him, Vanmarcke is better off signing a pre-agreement quickly. By August his performances will be long forgotten, people may actually have a look at his palmares instead and see that the last proper win was the GP Impanis three years ago.

That's also a reason why he will not stay at Jumbo I guess. They can't afford a rider with that paycheck who is mainly visible one month a year only. Sure, he tries to attack and sprint every now and then, so he is not as limited as Vandenbergh or Stannard or so, but contrary to most of the big hitters he can't really win on other terrain.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Sagan will either sign for #trek or #etixx

Vanmarke is interesting though I think he sometimes is hunting Rainbows never seems happy.

If GVA doesn't sign with #bmc maybe he goes there but chances of GVA leaving is small. I think maybe Trek might be a good option to add to Orica and I am going to add 1 more One Pro
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1467
    whoever is going to sign him, Vanmarcke is better off signing a pre-agreement quickly. By August his performances will be long forgotten, people may actually have a look at his palmares instead and see that the last proper win was the GP Impanis three years ago.

In Norway he is jokingly referred to as King of Budor, for a stage win in Tour of Norway 2 years ago (a little MTF actually). The GP Impanis isn't WT either, so I guess that   The Budor stage could count for "last proper win". Unless you would want to rate a 1.1 as more "proper" than a 2.HC....
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    The other Lotto seems made for him as I see him evolving into more of a domestique de lux.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    well, Benoot still needs to prove that he is better than Vanmarcke though. At the moment he is not (yet)

Unless you would want to rate a 1.1 as more "proper" than a 2.HC....

for a Belgian rider specialized on one day races, yes, I think I would rate a Belgian one day race higher than a stage win in Norway
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1106
    Sagan will either sign for #trek or #etixx

Vanmarke is interesting though I think he sometimes is hunting Rainbows never seems happy.

If GVA doesn't sign with #bmc maybe he goes there but chances of GVA leaving is small. I think maybe Trek might be a good option to add to Orica and I am going to add 1 more One Pro
    I've been giving this SVM issue a bit of thought since we started this convo on another thread.

You can divide the WT teams into different groups and filter from there.

Group 1, the French. That's a, 'no'

Group 2, teams which look as if they're not capable of or interested in running a classics squad in the future. The former soviets, Canondale Lampre Movistar. That's a, 'tiny possibility if the team decides to create a classics squad and needs a leader for it'

Group 3, Teams with a classics squad but look under resourced, DDD, IAM. That's a, 'Why move?' The same also goes for Lotto S for me; it's just a marginally better version of what he's got.

Group 4, Teams that already have a star name rider, BMC Giant, Etixx maybe? That's a 'Will move if happy to play second fiddle to someone else."

Group 5, What's left, SKY and OGE. For me it wouldn't fit with Orica's apparent policy of recruiting antipodeans and exciting young talent, I don't see Sep fitting into this mould. Finally Sky, and I'm not sure he fits their profile either.

So who knows? I sort of hope it's Etixx because then that would mean Sagan's not going there. And if Sagan ends up at Etixx and they fully commit to him, the future looks pretty bleak for everyone else.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Sep has discovered ITT skills. 6th in the ZLN TOUR prologue. "Since that 8th place in the chrono race at the Tour of Poitou-Charentes and the 6th place with the team at the TTT worlds, I've been going to find more and more fun." (he laughs) "I'm even a bit disappointed today. With a little bit more self confidence, a better stat and some sharper turn manoeuvres I could have been a few second faster. It occurs to me more often. I am not a pure time trialist and I still don't have too much experience. On Thursday and Friday it would mainly be working for Groenewegen. Since the Heistse Pijl I'm a part of his train. And that works well."

Source: Het Laatste Nieuws

• ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts