collapse

mew

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 674
  • craig walsh always with us
Re: The Wheels go round...
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 23:30 »
Hey thanks!
Dude I can sew only my ass :D, it would be too complicated and to be honest too expensive to experiment with 65 euros tubular :D
I thought it can t be fixed with sew coz no stitches I saw.
As to drain Stan out during winter it would be impossible coz Vittoria makes new valves http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-corsa-evo-cx-tubular-tyre/ which are well...see pics :D at valve base not top of the valve, idiots. So onyl option is to strip them of rim.

Hahahaha, you should try low fat milk :D

so milk thickens and turns sour cream-y?  ...brilliant  :D

oh I see upthread I am doing something right  :D
I'm on Vittoria Rubino Pros 23s on Mavic Kyserium....tough as nails and they roll fast!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 23:45 by mew »

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 05:09 »
    so milk thickens and turns sour cream-y?  ...brilliant  :D

oh I see upthread I am doing something right  :D
    I'm on Vittoria Rubino Pros 23s on Mavic Kyserium....tough as nails and they roll fast!

The milk sours and actually gets chunky.  But it's light and a bit rubbery so it doesn't affect how your tires roll.  We used to use it in silks.  But if you get a puncture , the milk chunks will seal it up, at least enough to get you home.  Sewing the tire up after it's had sour milk in it is best done outside though!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 07:28 »
    I wonder: How much milk was normally poured in there?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29 »
    Quote from: press release
    Continental, the German tyre supplier of Lotto Belisol for our bikes and car park, launches an action this month to get cycling fans enthusiastic about their car tyres. With the slogan “Get the grip”, there is a cash back action and a free competition with which one can win fun cycling gadgets.

People that live in Belgium or Luxembourg and buy two Continental summer tyres in June, July or August get back up to forty euro. Cycling fans can also participate in a free competition to win cycling gadgets. A signed cycling outfit of Lotto Belisol or a jersey  signed by the four leaders in our team are part of the prizes. People only have to answer some questions on the site.

Thomas Vanautgaerden, communication manager at Continental: “Through our partnership with the Lotto Belisol team we want to reach the big cycling community in our country. We already have a very good image in it with our premium bike tyres. With the “Get the grip” action we want to put attention to our high tech car tyres and let the fans of Lotto Belisol and cycling lovers in general make the link between our different product groups. Our approach is: if guys like jürgen Roelandts and André Greipel have faith in us, you as a driver can do that as well.”

“On top of that we launch a free competition in which several cycling gadgets can be won. We hope of course that our action is extra successful thanks to the good performances of Lotto Belisol in the Tour de France. At Continental we’ll keep our fingers crossed for the team and we hope for stage wins of André Greipel and a good classification of Jurgen Van den Broeck.”

L'arri, if you need new tyres... :rolleye
    Ah, I see now this is about car tyres... :fp
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 09:00 »

Yeah... but I drive a company car anyway, so tyre changes aren't my thing. Thankfully. :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 16:15 »
    Hey thanks!
    Dude I can sew only my ass :D, it would be too complicated and to be honest too expensive to experiment with 65 euros tubular :D
    I thought it can t be fixed with sew coz no stitches I saw.
    As to drain Stan out during winter it would be impossible coz Vittoria makes new valves http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-corsa-evo-cx-tubular-tyre/ which are well...see pics :D at valve base not top of the valve, idiots. So onyl option is to strip them of rim.

Hahahaha, you should try low fat milk :D

First of all it is not the hard to resew a tubular, as for practice.  Back in the old day I would hit up bike shops and ask for old tubular's.  There was always some dude who had the shop replace a tire because he had money and didn't trust the tire anymore.  When you are a 15 year old junior, making $3.65/hour any source of tire was needed.  It may be harder now as less shops sell tubular's and less people are using them.  But I bet you could dig one or two up to play with before going after a high dollar tire.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 20:52 »
    I wonder: How much milk was normally poured in there?
    5 litre :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 20:57 »
    First of all it is not the hard to resew a tubular, as for practice.  Back in the old day I would hit up bike shops and ask for old tubular's.  There was always some dude who had the shop replace a tire because he had money and didn't trust the tire anymore.  When you are a 15 year old junior, making $3.65/hour any source of tire was needed.  It may be harder now as less shops sell tubular's and less people are using them.  But I bet you could dig one or two up to play with before going after a high dollar tire.
    You are just right, here people ride clinchers 90%. I would ask LBS for old tubs and practice.
    Love story of much older cyclist about Czechoslovakian made tubulars, they were so bad but cheap. Also (dont remember model) guys told me that one tubular made sound when in sharp corner like car tyres :D
    I entered in tub world 2 yrs ago, like rolling sound very much and glued by myself pretty good, little mess but I clean it. :D, a little bit to large to carry spare one if want.
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 23:10 »
    You are just right, here people ride clinchers 90%. I would ask LBS for old tubs and practice.
    Love story of much older cyclist about Czechoslovakian made tubulars, they were so bad but cheap. Also (dont remember model) guys told me that one tubular made sound when in sharp corner like car tyres :D
    I entered in tub world 2 yrs ago, like rolling sound very much and glued by myself pretty good, little mess but I clean it. :D, a little bit to large to carry spare one if want.

Why too large to carry a spare?

• ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #39 on: June 14, 2013, 22:40 »
    I always ride with a spare tubular, my spare of choice is my training tires which are Conti.  Giro's $40 US.  I rotated them in and out of riding to make sure they have a good glue base and are stretched enough to get on a rim in short order.  Out of my 10 sets of wheels I only have one clincher set for the road bikes.  On my race wheels simply Conti competition about $100 US.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 22:21 »
    Clinchers for me. Don't want to  be stranded in the middle of nowhere with that troublesome second puncture.

Using up the last of my stock of the amazing Krylion Carbons. Have heard their replacement (pro 4 endurance) are gash.

Durango plus on winter bike and one of the fixed bikes.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 00:49 »
    Clinchers for me. Don't want to  be stranded in the middle of nowhere with that troublesome second puncture.

Using up the last of my stock of the amazing Krylion Carbons. Have heard their replacement (pro 4 endurance) are gash.

Durango plus on winter bike and one of the fixed bikes.

In over 40 years it has never happened to me.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 00:53 »
    I suppose it depends on how far you stray from home. These days, apart from commuting, pretty much all my rides are over 200k. Some of them put me in remote places at odd times of night.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:10 by Joachim »

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #43 on: July 27, 2013, 16:25 »

Just re-reading this thread and this caught my eye.  Continental must really be pushing the business these days.

I just bought a new pair of Adidas and was surprised to see that the soles are branded as Continental rubber.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 864
    « Reply #44 on: November 12, 2015, 21:53 »
    I like krabby's op in this one, and today it is worth wakin' this thread up. This is never a necro-topic, and never will be. Why? Because things like Brandts way-old Avocet tests are still valid and useful! And I have a question for all of you.

AND, today we have this!  http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/bikes-and-tech/resistance-futile-tire-pressure-width-affect-rolling-resistance_355085

Which nicely validates two things.
    1. That a wider tire profile, all else equal, will lower rolling resistance.
    2. That a lower tire pressure, all else equal, does NOT lower rolling resistance, but increases it. Which is what Brandt was saying way back.

You know, the amount of data we have today is so very much more than what we had when Brandt did those Avocet tests! Remember, Frank Berto was doing tire deflection on a home scale with a car jack, and recording the results on a hand drawn graph at the time. That was the all the science on the topic that EXISTED then.

But, the real reason I came here to post this was because:
    a) I felt validated because all along I've thought the lower pressure = lower rr was full of it, and[1]
    b) more importantly than my silly ego, I realized looking at this data that some MASSIVE modeling is possible today.

Meaning, I could take a riders wattage records, put it together with different tire test results, and calculate the optimal tire and pressure for a given course for that rider. Taking into account uphill, downhill, flat, road surface, all that stuff. I wonder if any of the teams are doing this yet? Is this part of Sky's marginal improvements? Granted, an experienced pro's intuitional knowledge could be just as good as a model 90% of the time. But, on the other hand, it may well not be. Look, for instance, at how long the whole tire pressure debate has been going on! How many guys didn't quite have the legs on that 14th day, because they had not been riding the optimal tire and pressure, and tiny differences added up? Who could ever know!

But I would think it's like swimming, where they've gotten pretty finicky with the modeling - and get differences measured in hundredths of a second. Bicycles, being so much more efficient, magnify the differences in a GT, I think.

So are any teams engaging in advanced modeling like this? Anybody know a team who needs somebody who can build models like this? ;)
     1. snarky, mostly humor! a little truth :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #45 on: December 18, 2015, 02:32 »
    I always ride with a spare tubular, my spare of choice is my training tires which are Conti.  Giro's $40 US.  I rotated them in and out of riding to make sure they have a good glue base and are stretched enough to get on a rim in short order.  Out of my 10 sets of wheels I only have one clincher set for the road bikes.  On my race wheels simply Conti competition about $100 US.
    I've always had mostly tubulars. It's fairly easy to have a spare tyre glued, ready to go and keep a pressure can of sealant for when you get more than one puncture. You would also be surprised just how many shops actually do have tubular tyres hidden away somewhere, they just aren't out for show.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Japan Cup by search
    [Today at 12:37]

Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi by search
    [Today at 10:32]

[Today at 10:25]

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2018 by Leadbelly
    [October 20, 2017, 19:38]